Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Be mindful of Gastro-intestinal and night sweats. Those appear to be the new tell-symptoms for positive cases. My cousin's nurse friend caught it in Boston last week, she lacks the respiratory, but her GI is hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

I'm having trouble understanding the 100k-240k death toll number

NYC, New Orleans, and Chicago are doubling deaths every three days, and this thing doesn't peak for another 2 weeks, right? I get that there's an unknown upper limit of covid vulnerable people, but even then if you told me that 100,000k people were going to die in those 3 cities alone I'd be skeptical, much less the entire loving country. Someone please explain to me why I'm wrong :(

that number was based on the assumption that we would take drastic measures to slow down transmission

you know, like how global warming projections offer you a best case scenario that assumes that we stop using fossil fuels, and then everyone latches onto that number like oh well maybe it won't be that bad, but then does nothing

what you actually should be looking at is the worst case estimate, because historically that's what we've always done

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

NYC, New Orleans, and Chicago are doubling deaths every three days, and this thing doesn't peak for another 2 weeks, right? I get that there's an unknown upper limit of covid vulnerable people, but even then if you told me that 100,000k people were going to die in those 3 cities alone I'd be skeptical, much less the entire loving country. Someone please explain to me why I'm wrong :(

you're wrong, it's going to be way, way way way more than 100,000 people in those 3 cities alone

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Skypie posted:

for profit health care lol

Hospital CEOs realizing now is a great time to close their business and retire to their private island.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

You're not wrong, op.

They're gonna lie like hell about the numbers, but in the absence of a federal mandate for self-isolation it's gonna be up to the states, and some chud governors are stupid as hell.

Trump still doesn't even understand why the federal government exists, and even today blamed NY for not getting all the ventilators they needed three years ago.

poo poo is straight hosed.

LMAO.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

keeping deaths down is dependent upon there being an adequate government response. the current government response has been: huh? government? what government? nobody home!!

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
lol if you think this will peak in 2 weeks

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.
well, gently caress

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Lacrosse posted:

Hospital CEOs realizing now is a great time to close their business and retire to their private island.

Conference calls for 8 hours and whataboutisms is about what they're mostly dealing with at the moment.

6,000 US deaths as of today.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

:wtc: another FIVE HUNDRED since I posted this?? jfc

I'm seeing 7400 now

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

BULBASAUR posted:

it might peak in 2 weeks in nyc. otherwise yeah its going to be a month or more through the rest of the country

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

lay off all hospital workers then beg them to come back and work for free

BING BING BONG

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

BULBASAUR posted:

not peaking in 2 weeks means it's actually slowed down a little

peak transmissions look to be in late april now so peak deaths won't come until mid to late may

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

BULBASAUR posted:

This, also.

Eventually people will simply become inured to all the death and chaos though.

Something happens often enough you become accustomed to the horror of it.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Dustcat posted:

that number was based on the assumption that we would take drastic measures to slow down transmission

you know, like how global warming projections offer you a best case scenario that assumes that we stop using fossil fuels, and then everyone latches onto that number like oh well maybe it won't be that bad, but then does nothing

what you actually should be looking at is the worst case estimate, because historically that's what we've always done

Yeah. 100k-240k was based on "Full Mitigation."

Basically an early, enforced, nationwide shutdown and shelter in place order.

We currently have states still arguing over whether they should shut down as red state governors are rule lawyering the virus by issuing "Shutdowns**************" and people are ignoring the effective ones by the millions. The CDC just now decided to advise people to wear masks when we are probably at 500,000 - 1,000,000+ real cases and 10,000+ dead that we just aren't counting properly.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

OhFunny posted:

https://www.nhpr.org/post/coronavirus-update-sununu-says-14-surge-sites-ready-nh-covid-deaths-rise-7#stream/0

Lakes Region General Hospital in Laconia, New Hampshire is furloughing 500 health care workers. It's also getting $5.2 million to stay open from the state.

lmao i assumed my wife wouldnt have to worry about layoffs because she's a nurse. i want to say she applied at lakes region. thank goodness she wasnt working there. hopefully she keeps her job for obvious reasons, but also because i get my insurance through her employer

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

there is absolutely 0 chance that as few as 90,000 DC residents get coronavirus. there is absolutely 0 chance that that few people are infected now. but bowser is a corrupt moron who shouldn't be in charge of a church food pantry, so :shrug:

Theres 600 k people in the district so if 90k NOW would be lowballing it they'll hit peak infection by like next Wednesday

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Eat This Glob posted:

lmao i assumed my wife wouldnt have to worry about layoffs because she's a nurse. i want to say she applied at lakes region. thank goodness she wasnt working there. hopefully she keeps her job for obvious reasons, but also because i get my insurance through her employer

small, independent hospitals are gonna run out of money. big systems like Kaiser will survive, but will have to reduce pay without direct government support.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

BULBASAUR posted:

I really think the USA is just gonna let it run its course and kill however many it drat well wants to, we could probably bet to like 10-15 million dead because we're just so loving stupid and our leaders are game show hosts and grifters, but I get it, people really haven't comprehended or accepted how bad this really is, not by a long shot. but I get it because while I KNOW it's that bad and is going to be that bad my brain just won't stop gaslighting me about it and downplaying it in my own head, like, naaah it won't really be that bad. I don't know why that impulse is there, I know it's wrong, I imagine it must be normalcy bias, and if it's there for me when I'm actively going around doomsaying then it must be quite strong in those that give into it fully

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

There are roni test kits available on DHgate. I think they were probably backdoor'd out of a manufacturing place or fell off the back of a truck. They look like legit antibody tests, but I don't know poo poo about this stuff. I guess these are the tests that people have been saying aren't working as they would only show a positive result after your body started to produce antibodies in an amount measurable by the test, so not much use for quickly determining if that fever and headache is the Toni Roni or not.

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

everyone calling the coronavirus party havers and toilet lickers morons when they're gonna be some of the few people who get to go to a functional hospital by the time all this is done

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

BULBASAUR posted:

It peaks really fast if you don't flatten it at all.

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.
my brain just crack-pinged and a reality I didn't realize I was repressing just broke through: 7 figure American death toll isn't goon doomsaying, it's just a reasonable expectation. jesus christ.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Dunno about ya'll but I'm getting a little stir crazy. I've got a set of gymnastics rings and one of those pullup bar things you can hang in the doorway. What are some good quarantine exercises for a stay-at-home-ordered non overweight but still out of shape goony goon?

If that pullup bar isn't fuckin bolted into the doorway, it'll fall and you can gently caress yourself up really fuckin good. Doorframes aren't designed to support 175lb or 300lb goons doing exercises from them.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

my brain just crack-pinged and a reality I didn't realize I was repressing just broke through: 7 figure American death toll isn't goon doomsaying, it's just a reasonable expectation. jesus christ.

Those people were all gonna die anyway.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

*woops, meant NYC, Detroit and Chicago. New Orleans is merely doubling every week, approaching every three days

Just multiplying Italy's current deaths by how much bigger the US is gets us to like 85K dead, and well under counting plus the backside of the curve not being over in Italy makes me think that 100K is certainly low now for the US and if we stay under 240K I will be "happy".

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

i wish we had been right about the deepwater horizon flaming death hurricane instead to be honest

Zyme
Aug 15, 2000

Nonsense posted:

Be mindful of Gastro-intestinal and night sweats. Those appear to be the new tell-symptoms for positive cases. My cousin's nurse friend caught it in Boston last week, she lacks the respiratory, but her GI is hosed.

gently caress I pretty regularly poo poo 2-3 before lunch and always get really hot and sweaty at night unless its < 68 F in my room. Have had roni my whole life and didn't know it!

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

i still think around 600k based on a simple model of ventilators and ventilation rate of 0.5% with 60% infected in the USA.

lol

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

it might peak in 2 weeks in nyc. otherwise yeah its going to be a month or more through the rest of the country

Florida is going to erupt

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

BULBASAUR posted:

Its going to peak in two weeks in the current epicenters yeah. Also I would like to remind the thread again that predicting a peak coming soon isn't being optimistic its being pessimistic. The sooner peak is the steeper the curve is. The steeper the curve is the more people are sick simultaneously. The more people who are sick simultaneously the more deaths there are the worse hospitals are overwhelmed. In the 1918 flu epidemic St Louis put quarantine measures in place almost immediately while Philly waited and held a parade. The epidemic lasted much longer in St Louis but there were way less deaths than in Philly. Its a tradeoff between length and intensity and we seem to be going whole hog on intensity.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
trmol

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I'm glad I'm now getting a second wave of emails from every store I've ever been to that is saying that they are closed indefinitely instead of the enraging ones that just said they were "enhancing cleaning to comply with CDC requirements" while staying open

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/NYGovCuomo/status/1246093161006542864?s=20

https://twitter.com/ChenDingding/status/1246093785244696577?s=20

when the institutions are doing REALLY GREAT

TheLemonOfIchabod
Aug 26, 2008
Is there any truth to Fauci's claims we're going to be a lot better prepared by the fall? Because if not I don't see any reason why the second wave wouldn't be at least as bad if not much worse...

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
and so long as we are free to travel between states and cities it doesn't really loving matter when and where it peaks because it could just come back in a month or two when someone drives in from another state with it starting the process all over again

Flooger
Dec 26, 2004

empty whippet box posted:

lol, just lol if you haven't been crossfaded 24/7(including while asleep) for the last 3 continuous weeks

Ive saturated my THC receptors, the weed no longer has an effect at this point

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Perfect PR opportunity for Elon Musk to buy some bales of rags and donate them as face masks!

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

euphronius posted:

Florida is going to erupt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

history book tweet