Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
This new direction is crazy and my interest is now piqued. Maybe we'll even finally get to hear Jenova talk - the actual Jenova.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

As long as it’s fun stupid and not boring stupid (kingdom hearts), I’m in for the long haul.

Smegma Princess X
Jul 27, 2012
The Remake plot is different depending on if you have the original installed/on your PSN account

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Harrow posted:

I can't deny that I'm a little bummed out that it isn't a straight remake even as I'm really curious what they're up to. It would've been cool to see the original story play out in an expanded form and with insanely good production values and great action gameplay, and I was getting really excited for that. That we're now officially never getting that is at least a little disappointing.

I was just hoping for something more like how the RE2 Remake was. Changes and modernization that makes sense to bring the game up to the present, but keeping the general story/tone in tact.

I know that I can still go play the old game, but guess what people can still go play original RE2. The remake is still lauded for how good it is.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Mordiceius posted:

I was just hoping for something more like how the RE2 Remake was. Changes and modernization that makes sense to bring the game up to the present, but keeping the general story/tone in tact.

I know that I can still go play the old game, but guess what people can still go play original RE2. The remake is still lauded for how good it is.

I hate to tell you this but FF7R is also a good game, even if it isn't really a FF7 remake for the last, like, hour.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Smegma Princess X posted:

The Remake plot is different depending on if you have the original installed/on your PSN account

This would be kind of incredible

pepperburg
Dec 6, 2009

You can call me a purist, whatever. I refunded the game as I was expecting the OG. I enjoyed VII for the nostalgia and the only other SE game I've beaten was X on launch.

The earlier comments in this thread warmed me up to the idea of a big reveal but watching the cutscenes really dampened my opinion. The time travel?, compilation, anime, Kingdom Hearts nonsense stuff hasn't been for me and this just looks like more of the same.

I look forward to the meltdowns though.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

There is no Final Fantasy VII Remake.

Square Enix never recreated their hit 1997 rpg game for modern consoles, it was all a mass hallucination brought on by the internet.

You and I are living in a madhouse: The Final Fantasy VII House

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

DemoneeHo posted:

There is no Final Fantasy VII Remake.

Square Enix never recreated their hit 1997 rpg game for modern consoles, it was all a mass hallucination brought on by the internet.

You and I are living in a madhouse: The Final Fantasy VII House

:hmmyes:

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

pepperburg posted:

You can call me a purist, whatever. I refunded the game as I was expecting the OG. I enjoyed VII for the nostalgia and the only other SE game I've beaten was X on launch.

The earlier comments in this thread warmed me up to the idea of a big reveal but watching the cutscenes really dampened my opinion. The time travel?, compilation, anime, Kingdom Hearts nonsense stuff hasn't been for me and this just looks like more of the same.

I look forward to the meltdowns though.

Did you enjoy playing the demo?

pepperburg
Dec 6, 2009

Yes I did, enough to warrant buying it sometime the line at a discount. The music remixes have generally been killer as well.

To me, FFVII is the bleakness of the plate dropping on the slums, the mystery of Sephiroth in the original. The story is filled with a lot of amazing big moments and reveals that all get pushed aside for this one. Maybe this'll be great but def gonna hold off.

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
By God, after reading this thread I'm loving stoked for this beautiful mess.

Both shocked and laughing maniacally.

Final Fantasy VII JokerKefkafied Edition

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

that was part of my letdown, was the lack of "We're chasing the Man In Black, mysterious and monstrous, a being who slaughtered the almighty President, and leaves a trail of bodies like the Midgar Zolom to mark the path of death" and instead it's this feeling of "Well that was a great show, we got one more surprise guest tonight THAT'S RIGHT IT'S THE MAN IN BLACK! HERE HE COMES LET'S LISTEN TO HIM TALK UP THE AUDIENCE! OOOOOOOOO HE'S FLASHING THE BIG BLADE RIGHT IN AERIS' FACE GET A CLOSE UP OF HER REACTION!!!

http://www.youtubemultiplier.com/5e87a86194e28-here-he-is-here-he-is-here-he-is.php

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

This thread are sick

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
So I reckon the game (and it's mythical sequel in ten years time) will still pretty much follow the broad strokes of the original, I think this timeline shenanigans might just be a little extra spice on the original recipe?

Don't get me wrong, it's still a convoluted trainwreck!

But the only solid changes we know timeline-wise are ParadoxSephiroth getting to come into the story early so he can be the main antagonist before he was supposed to be introduced, Biggs surviving (which doesn't massively affect the story) and a hint of Zack surviving in one timeline or something?

The actual main confrontation with Sephiroth and the actual ending don't change much. It's still the crew agreeing to leave Midgar to go after Sephiroth, only with an added memory of Zack for cheap heat.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
It's not nearly as convoluted as you guys are making it sound. The game is pretty upfront about what's going on (except the Zack scene and there's enough context clues that you can put that together.)

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

pepperburg posted:

Yes I did, enough to warrant buying it sometime the line at a discount. The music remixes have generally been killer as well.

To me, FFVII is the bleakness of the plate dropping on the slums, the mystery of Sephiroth in the original. The story is filled with a lot of amazing big moments and reveals that all get pushed aside for this one. Maybe this'll be great but def gonna hold off.

This poo poo is in the game and it's central. I don't know what people are thinking is going to happen when the plate drops. It's not pleasant.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
The plate drops, and bounces harmlessly off of Zack's rock hard glutes

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Honestly, I think this is also a clever way for SE to reinterpret events that they feel might not translate well from PS1 to PS4. Like, it’s canon that a dolphin propels Cloud onto the scaffolding of Junon in the original - now maybe this time around, the party finds a more straight forward method, with a cute reference to a magic dolphin somewhere as a nod.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

HD DAD posted:

Honestly, I think this is also a clever way for SE to reinterpret events that they feel might not translate well from PS1 to PS4. Like, it’s canon that a dolphin propels Cloud onto the scaffolding of Junon in the original - now maybe this time around, the party finds a more straight forward method, with a cute reference to a magic dolphin somewhere as a nod.

From what I've played of this one the dolphin will be there and it will also sing and dance as you go up.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

HD DAD posted:

They kind of do this in a couple places.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Black August posted:

that was part of my letdown, was the lack of "We're chasing the Man In Black, mysterious and monstrous, a being who slaughtered the almighty President, and leaves a trail of bodies like the Midgar Zolom to mark the path of death" and instead it's this feeling of "Well that was a great show, we got one more surprise guest tonight THAT'S RIGHT IT'S THE MAN IN BLACK! HERE HE COMES LET'S LISTEN TO HIM TALK UP THE AUDIENCE! OOOOOOOOO HE'S FLASHING THE BIG BLADE RIGHT IN AERIS' FACE GET A CLOSE UP OF HER REACTION!!!

http://www.youtubemultiplier.com/5e87a86194e28-here-he-is-here-he-is-here-he-is.php

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Get help.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

The help I need is for you to have some fun with me teasing the game for being a little too up its own mythos' rear end.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Black August posted:

The help I need is for you to have some fun with me teasing the game for being a little too up its own mythos' rear end.

The joke is that in the Bombing run, after Barret goes on his huge spiel about the planet, and how he can hear it crying out in pain, Cloud implores him to "get help"

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Onmi posted:

The joke is that in the Bombing run, after Barret goes on his huge spiel about the planet, and how he can hear it crying out in pain, Cloud implores him to "get help"

I'm happy they kept that from the original. Cloud's delivery was everything I'd hope for in the line.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Since the plot seems to go off the rails after they raid Shinra HQ does the part with the blood trail and Sephiroth killing Shinra actually happen in this? If so, how well was it done?

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

RatHat posted:

Since the plot seems to go off the rails after they raid Shinra HQ does the part with the blood trail and Sephiroth killing Shinra actually happen in this? If so, how well was it done?

The blood trail sort of happens, though the context is VERY different. (Spoilers where I basically lay out the President's death scene: The Turks don't capture you, you actually see Sephiroth/a clone retrieving Jenova and you follow a purple trail of Jenova blood to the Presidents office. You actually find the President alive and Barret has a quick-but-cheesy standoff with him where they rant about their differing moral codes and you get to witness the moment of the president's Masamune-stabbing, Barrett also gets stabbed by Sephiroth and the party fight "Jenova Dreamweaver" and then MYSTERIOUS FORCES save Barret's life because he is not ordained to die there. Then a bunch of other stuff happens that basically means the whole scene plays out very differently to how it did in the original while reaching basically the same endpoint.) I liked the scene, though anyone who doesn't like the plot going off the rails probably won't much. The main downside is Rufus doesn't make his inauguration speech to the party in this version.

Hidingo Kojimba fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Apr 4, 2020

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Apparently he shows up briefly when the plate falls. But the plate didn't kill anyone now, so I dunno what the gently caress is going to happen with Reeve.

I mean the Plate kills plenty of people, it just doesn't kill everyone.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

The blood trail sort of happens, though the context is VERY different. (Spoilers where I basically lay out the President's death scene: The Turks don't capture you, you actually see Sephiroth/a clone retrieving Jenova and you follow a purple trail of Jenova blood to the Presidents office. You actually find the President alive and Barret has a quick-but-cheesy standoff with him where they rant about their differing moral codes and you get to witness the moment of the president's Masamune-stabbing, Barrett also gets stabbed by Sephiroth and the party fight "Jenova Dreamweaver" and then MYSTERIOUS FORCES save Barret's life because he is not ordained to die there. Then a bunch of other stuff happens that basically means the whole scene plays out very differently to how it did in the original while reaching basically the same endpoint.) I liked the scene, though anyone who doesn't like the plot going off the rails probably won't much. The main downside is Rufus doesn't make his inauguration speech to the party in this version.

God that sounds loving amazing, I’m so stoked.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I'm definitely down for some creative reinterpretation if they can actually tell a halfway compelling story, though tbh nothing SE has put out in recent memory gives me any confidence in that. At the end of the day as long as I get a bunch of nostalgia pumped into my veins in beautiful 4k and the core gameplay stays fun the whole way through, I'll be satisfied.

Not what I was expecting them to do, but gently caress it I'm intrigued enough to see where this goes.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The FFXIV team regularly tells compelling stories but, well, they're working on FFXIV and not FFVII Remake.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Harrow posted:

The FFXIV team regularly tells compelling stories but, well, they're working on FFXIV and not FFVII Remake.

I keep hearing good things about XIV and I enjoyed the trial period I played but hoo boy the time investment / grind required to get to the endgame for a new player sounds awful. Did they ever end up implementing that "skip to the end" function they were talking about a while back?

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
You can buy "skip potions" that take you I think to various different expansions, but I think it's a fool's errand to try. The world in FFXIV is so complicated, and the ensemble cast is so huge that I don't know if you'd get anything out of playing it without the context of the whole story. The lvl 1-50 storyline is nothing special, but it sets up all the characters that it will then make you care about in the future, cooler content. It's a weird tightrope act that kind of makes me hope it just gets repurposed for a single player game some day.

That said if you've ever liked MMOs, FFXIV is a good and fun MMO. I really like its storytelling, but if you don't enjoy actually playing the game itself, I don't think the story could ever be worth buying skip potions or slogging through a genre of game you don't like.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Cephas posted:

You can buy "skip potions" that take you I think to various different expansions, but I think it's a fool's errand to try. The world in FFXIV is so complicated, and the ensemble cast is so huge that I don't know if you'd get anything out of playing it without the context of the whole story. The lvl 1-50 storyline is nothing special, but it sets up all the characters that it will then make you care about in the future, cooler content. It's a weird tightrope act that kind of makes me hope it just gets repurposed for a single player game some day.

That said if you've ever liked MMOs, FFXIV is a good and fun MMO. I really like its storytelling, but if you don't enjoy actually playing the game itself, I don't think the story could ever be worth buying skip potions or slogging through a genre of game you don't like.

I actually enjoyed the gameplay quite a bit when I was partied up in dungeons and the storytelling that I saw was good, my biggest issue was that I bought it to play an MMO and after like 40 hours into it it still just felt like 75% of the time I was playing a single player game with MMO mechanics which is...not nearly as compelling. People were saying I had like 200 more hours of that to go before I got to the part that actually feels like an MMO and I just didn't have it in me.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

FFXIV is just way too much for me. I tried to start playing again last year and was overwhelmed.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
That's fair. It's like the extreme opposite of FF11 in that you can do almost everything solo--especially in Shadowbringers, where you can do dungeons with the story characters. Part of me hopes that Final Fantasy 17 or something ends up just being a consolidated single player remake of the FF14 storyline.

Between FF14's expansion packs and Nier I actually kinda feel like Square-Enix-Goya is having a new golden age for well-written RPGs. I really want that momentum to carry over to FF7R. I wonder if Yoko Taro got consulted at all for FF7R's writing, if the whole deal is timeline manipulation shenanigans, considering Yoko Taro's built his entire career off running with timeline/alternate universe shenanigans and playing with "new game+" as a metanarrative device

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I keep hearing good things about XIV and I enjoyed the trial period I played but hoo boy the time investment / grind required to get to the endgame for a new player sounds awful. Did they ever end up implementing that "skip to the end" function they were talking about a while back?

I believe the next major patch, 5.3, is supposed to come with a significant rework of the level 1-50 content (the "A Realm Reborn" or ARR stuff) which will cut out a lot of the filler and improve the pacing. Not sure if that's still coming in 5.3 or not, but it's something they're working on because they're aware there's a huge barrier to entry right now.

Hopefully if they do that well, it won't feel like a grind to catch up so much as feel like you have four Final Fantasy games' worth of story you get to play through, with two of the expansions (Heavensward and Shadowbringers) being among the best stories in the entire series.

The game does a lot to incentivize players to play older content with new players, too, so you won't be playing alone the whole time.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
If you were wondering how the Honey Bee Inn thing was handled, here you go.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Apr 4, 2020

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Fixed your link

E: no i didn't. How did you do this to your link

E2: there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

For people playing: how's the Enemy Skill materia?