Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
If a utility strikes do you have to not use water or electricity or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

BEAR GRYLLZ posted:

a communist country is handling this global pandemic much better than the far-right run US, but the minds of american leftists are so shattered by the constant trauma of living in this hellhole that they believe the nefarious chinese must be lying

sad

Cuba is doing well, yeah, but I'm not sure what that has to do with China

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

is this the guy that just learned about community spread in the past week or so?

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

:smugdon:

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

my morning jackass posted:

nah they are paying... a lot. they are trying to recruit nurses from Canada by promising a 125$/hr salary.

that's pretty generous, it should cover their treatment nicely even if they've racked up just 300 hours before they get sick

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Quetzadilla posted:

I'll make I've made the website.

https://www.genstrike.org/

god drat dude

in the most gently caress YES kinda way

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

BEAR GRYLLZ posted:

a communist country is handling this global pandemic much better than the far-right run US, but the minds of american leftists are so shattered by the constant trauma of living in this hellhole that they believe the nefarious chinese must be lying

sad

my more lib brained friends are having an incredibly hard time reconciling that china might, just might, have actually handled this pandemic well because of their country being a surveillance state that locked down its entire economy to halt the spread

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Shipon posted:

that "china's cremating far more people than the official death toll!" poo poo is still going around and ignoring that people still die of other causes. i saw something the other day that said they compared year by year numbers and those numbers are actually lower than typical.

I also think that the cremation thing is very shaky evidence at best and that it’s being repeated so much mostly just says that there’s no good evidence, but “I saw something the other day” and not linking it or providing any more information is just as bad dude

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
lol I just had the most grand realization today.

Wuhan brought the R0 from something like 3 to 0.3. They got it way loving under 1. Exponential processes work the same way on the decay side as on the explosion side; a number like 0.3 is a total fire extinguisher.

But what is America going to do? We're going to loving wreck the economy while a significant lack of individual cooperation keeps the R0 at something like 1.2.

The growth rate will be the perfect size where we stay overwhelmed and flailing, but things keep slowly worsening as we slowly slide to herd immunity. It will last exceedingly long, like slowly pulling the band-aid off to cause as much pain as possible.

lmao

CHUCK WAS TAKEN
Aug 1, 2004
this kid has heart

Wrex Ruckus posted:

is this the guy that just learned about community spread in the past week or so?

its a game changer my man

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

https://twitter.com/abcnews/status/1246241766782545920

The only thing this headline is missing is 'while on fire'

Serf
May 5, 2011

people will be begging for china's "authoritarian" measures before long lmao

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

LimburgLimbo posted:

I also think that the cremation thing is very shaky evidence at best and that it’s being repeated so much mostly just says that there’s no good evidence, but “I saw something the other day” and not linking it or providing any more information is just as bad dude

Yashar Ali biggest ORANGE MAN BAD reporter is helping advance the GOP project for the fall lol

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
"coughing on an officer" is gonna be abused lmao

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Wuhan brought the R0 from something like 3 to 0.3. They got it way loving under 1. Exponential processes work the same way on the decay side as on the explosion side; a number like 0.3 is a total fire extinguisher.

But what is America going to do? We're going to loving wreck the economy while a significant lack of individual cooperation keeps the R0 at something like 1.2.

The growth rate will be the perfect size where we stay overwhelmed and flailing, but things keep slowly worsening as we slowly slide to herd immunity. It will last exceedingly long, like slowly pulling the band-aid off to cause as much pain as possible.

lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Rw5MosKRm4

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

TheLemonOfIchabod posted:

oh hey cool I just felt shaking here in San Diego. Did the San Andreas just explode?

I felt it too. Windows rattled here

rump buttman
Feb 14, 2018

I just wish I had time for one more bowl of chili

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

lmao

cherish the agony

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/naderdissa/status/1246232950007627776?s=21

this is loving insanity

rump buttman
Feb 14, 2018

shovelbum posted:

"coughing on an officer" is gonna be abused lmao

gonna be

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Shipon posted:

my more lib brained friends are having an incredibly hard time reconciling that china might, just might, have actually handled this pandemic well because of their country being a surveillance state that locked down its entire economy to halt the spread

The thing is you don’t even have to be a massive surveillance state like China (not that there’s no surveillance in other states but there’s certainly a qualitative difference to mainland China) to get it to work, you just have to move quickly and competently, provide good guidelines, and have most people follow them or get punished for not following them, like Taiwan, South Korea, Singapore, etc.

People need to wrap their heads around the idea that there’s actual consequences to decades of propaganda against the idea of reasonable and competent government and intentional destruction of institutions intended to act in exactly these circumstances.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

this would be so much easier with an app

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Dixville posted:

I felt it too. Windows rattled here

the first nukes are falling take shelter

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I have some chicken breast fillet and some teriyaki sauce/seasoning that I want to use as a base for a marinade. Any ideas on what else to throw in there?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
beans

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Nocturtle posted:

Re: China downplaying their numbers, it might be worth considering had not South Korea, Taiwan and Singapore achieved similar results with similar methods. Maybe China is suppressing some relatively small number of cases but it doesn't change the overall trend.

A lot of westerners are getting confronted with some uncomfortable truths about the societies they live in. Not surprising to see some claim that the states handling this much better are fabricating their success, because that's easier to believe than to accept one's own country is dangerously dysfunctional.

Yeah that's the price we pay for Freedom, duh.

Taco Duck
Feb 18, 2011

Weed

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Marx Headroom posted:

this would be so much easier with an app

apps can't let you transfer such an amount digitally.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Serf posted:

people will be begging for china's "authoritarian" measures before long lmao

That’s why it’s much better to play up the successes of places like Taiwan, the most robust Asian democracy, and where people like our genius young trans digital minister took quick and effective action.

Saying you need to give in to authoritarianism to be safe is real bad in the long run and China is basically the worst possible mode for the future of humanity.

rump buttman
Feb 14, 2018

:hai:

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

shovelbum posted:

If a utility strikes do you have to not use water or electricity or whatever

in california we call this "summer"

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

foreigners are in awe we still use checks

lmaopocalypse
Mar 16, 2020

Junkiebev posted:

Good Opinion Havers!
I’ve never used either, but is instacart/amazon prime *exceedingly well tipped, like 50% I guess?*:

A) good, they could use the income and post-strike have some protection
B) bad and exploitative - go yourself bourgeois swine

Background: I live in downtown Chicago, have 1 wife + 2 kids under 3, and this would be for groceries only

Find a mutual aid group if you at all can, there's almost certainly people willing to help without you crossing a picket line

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Zotix posted:

Yeah that's the price we pay for Freedom, duh.

Like this is what we need to avoid. You can be free and safe and prosperous; the CCP’s entire goal is in many ways to disprove that, and unfortunately the US is doing a lot of their job for them.

Serf
May 5, 2011

LimburgLimbo posted:

That’s why it’s much better to play up the successes of places like Taiwan, the most robust Asian democracy, and where people like our genius young trans digital minister took quick and effective action.

Saying you need to give in to authoritarianism to be safe is real bad in the long run and China is basically the worst possible mode for the future of humanity.

authoritarianism isn't real

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

lmao

Several states (Washington, etc.) will achieve an Italy-level drawback and even though many states will not, we'll then immediately reopen everything in May to help Number and the entire country will rapidly slide back to plague death mode. However this time it will be more heavily suppressed and the enormous number of "flu deaths" will go largely unremarked upon.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Taiwan sucks

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Serf posted:

authoritarianism isn't real

You're right, let's go back to kings, things were easier then

Serf
May 5, 2011

Grapplejack posted:

You're right, let's go back to kings, things were easier then

ahh, a dark enlightenment poster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

Nonsense posted:

apps can't let you transfer such an amount digitally.

how much is 3.4 million in bitcoin

e: 503.53 bitcoin

Trumps Baby Hands has issued a correction as of 03:34 on Apr 4, 2020