Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

I assume I get an in-game map at some point? I have no idea how big this world is (trying to see how far I can get without wiki'ing everything)

Yes, you do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Make sure to pick up all resources you find, even if you can't use them right now. Research everything you can in the MAM.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I am a tractor fan and tractors would be fine for ore, but most of the starting zones are set up where you are really in beltable distance of iron nodes next to coal nodes meant for your first steel factory.

Logistics law says to transport the densest stuff so might as well turn it into beams, pipes, and encased beams on the spot at the least.

There's not really the same commonality of components to live with the 3d downsides of having to live inside the bus for me to want to bus. I have fairly specific "this is my space elevator 1 line and 2 and 3" and so on and they don't really mix in the way bused Factorio does. You can keep fairly contained raw-intermediate-final lines so you should feel no obligation to only do value add steps at base instead of doing all your processing 5 ft from the miner for anything but wires and then you ship a final product.

By the time you mix stuff I think more along the lines of depots than buses, so I have a fat warehouse of plastic and rubber that I end up just pulling from a trainstation.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I chose to bus because it meant I don't have to be so precise with input/output ratios. Without the bus, any left-over iron ore (or whatever input) just sits there backed up on its conveyor with nowhere to go. With it, the ratios problem goes away and becomes an Add More problem instead.

not enough reinforced plates? just Add More depots to construct screws and assemble plates. Now I don't have enough iron plates but I can Add More constructors, etc. all the way back to the ore mines.

(Point taken about item density re: transportation, though. That's a solid counter-argument.)

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Apr 1, 2020

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
I want to see a wall of linked industrial storage, the whole length of the map, from ground to skybox

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

ok as pretty as the result is I've decided I hate trying to expand this stupid bus anymore :mad:

Working on my steel foundry; I found another site of coal, iron and limestone to build it on. Foundries are tapped out at making 240 steel ingots a minute. I know I need a shitload of bars for mk3 logistics; how much of the steel pipes and encased bars am I gonna need: few enough to just make a few alongside the steel bars, or enough that I want separate sites?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

ok as pretty as the result is I've decided I hate trying to expand this stupid bus anymore :mad:

Working on my steel foundry; I found another site of coal, iron and limestone to build it on. Foundries are tapped out at making 240 steel ingots a minute. I know I need a shitload of bars for mk3 logistics; how much of the steel pipes and encased bars am I gonna need: few enough to just make a few alongside the steel bars, or enough that I want separate sites?

You're gonna end up wanting a lot of steel pipes before long, in similar or greater volumes to beams. Encased beams not so much, you can probably just have one assembler on them and leave it at that.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

You need tons of the steel pipes later one for...stators...over all I went with 2 beam production lines and one pipe production line...ended up having really slow production towards the end of the space elevator research. I just got burnt out and didn't want to deal with making a better steel works, so I slogged through it.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
You can easily flex manufacture from pipes to beams and back. You just relink the output from a pipe merger to a beam merger or back again.

I had beams dead headed because I finished structure early but didn't necessarily want to run that line into the sink so I just swapped recipes and outputs to have more pipes to the stator God.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Lots and lots of stators coming my way soon, got it. I should probably bumrush the rest of the elevator parts to unlock tiers 5 and 6, while I'm at it; I have no more milestones to get at the HUB and I'm still dinking around with steel foundries

I want to run three tractors between my steel foundry and my main line; if they're all on the same route will they destroy each other eventually or does the game take care of that somehow?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Generally when I unlock a new tier I do the bare minimum to get the new outputs up and running, shunt them into a container, and then go out looking for hard drives to get recipes applicable to the new production. Building up large without alt recipes is rarely worth it.

Also another tip: if you're exploring for a bunch of drives at once don't forget to drop a mam and kick off research while away from the base.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Generally when I unlock a new tier I do the bare minimum to get the new outputs up and running, shunt them into a container, and then go out looking for hard drives to get recipes applicable to the new production. Building up large without alt recipes is rarely worth it.

Also another tip: if you're exploring for a bunch of drives at once don't forget to drop a mam and kick off research while away from the base.

I'll be honest I've barely explored at all. Only found one hard drive and got the screws-from-ingots recipe which I haven't even implemented yet :eng99:

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Ciaphas posted:

Lots and lots of stators coming my way soon, got it. I should probably bumrush the rest of the elevator parts to unlock tiers 5 and 6, while I'm at it; I have no more milestones to get at the HUB and I'm still dinking around with steel foundries

I want to run three tractors between my steel foundry and my main line; if they're all on the same route will they destroy each other eventually or does the game take care of that somehow?

When you're not near visible range, vehicles on autopilot are simulated as teleporting from arrow to arrow, which sounds to me like a recipe for more than one vehicle eventually being simulated in the same place, resulting in some out-of-view simulated physics fuckery which will likely end with one vehicle in a lunar orbit and one at the bottom of the sea.

When you're in visible range, they will just plow right into each other, get knocked off course, and then desperately try to get back to whichever arrow they have designated as 'next.' Both of these scenarios would be hilarious to see happening to someone else's factory, but the only time I've had multiple vehicles picking up from the same location, I built a separate pair of truck stops for each of them and carefully kept the autopilot paths from intersecting.

Naylenas
Sep 11, 2003

I was out of my head so it was out of my hands

Pave the route and stack multiple tracks, with an origin and destination depot for each level

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Naylenas posted:

Pave the route and stack multiple tracks, with an origin and destination depot for each level

Now we're on to a project I can sink my teeth into! Too bad you can't make curved roads with foundations except on a grand scale :(

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
I'm firmly of the mind that by the time you exceed the throughput of your tractor, you can/should just upgrade to the next vehicle up. The explorer isn't that much more expensive than a tractor is and while it has one fewer cargo slots, it's faster and handles terrain better, resulting in generally improved throughput. Especially if there's any form of halfway difficult terrain along the route.

Edit: Let me reprase that, yes the explorer is more expensive in the sense that you need quartz and steel to make it, but by the time you've outgrown tractors you should more or less that have handled.

Drake_263 fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Apr 3, 2020

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Soooo I picked this up yesterday. I didn't go into it totally blind, mainly because I watched Let's Game it Out's satisfactory videos. I'm trying to get as far as I can sans wiki or walkthrough or anything.

Honestly though I think I've been slightly infected by LGIO because while you people are all talking efficiency and vehicles, all I can think is "Well why not just a 15 kilometer long conveyor belt".

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

khy posted:

Soooo I picked this up yesterday. I didn't go into it totally blind, mainly because I watched Let's Game it Out's satisfactory videos. I'm trying to get as far as I can sans wiki or walkthrough or anything.

Honestly though I think I've been slightly infected by LGIO because while you people are all talking efficiency and vehicles, all I can think is "Well why not just a 15 kilometer long conveyor belt".

That's my solution too, even in Factorio. As long as your belts aren't doing loop-de-loops or something wild, who cares.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

khy posted:

"Well why not just a 15 kilometer long conveyor belt".

Oh no that is the best method I've found. But you do this 5 or 6 times and it gets kinda old. Hell I didn't realize you could upgrade conveyors at first, so I had 3 really long conveyor lines that I manually deleted and rebuilt at one point (hell I only figured out you could delete multiple objects at once like after I had completed the last tier of space elevator). Also I have a bunch more sky bridges going off to areas so I can pick up hard drives and what not. They need an auto build feature while you walk to just build a path in front of you, but I know that's asking way too much.

Also you can go without using a wiki for a long time, and most of the research stuff I would generate things I needed at the bench and get it done...when it came to the space elevator you need to optimize things better (which requires way more power) or you'll be waiting days and days to get it done.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
You don't need a wiki, there is a recipe database within the game.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

ymgve posted:

You don't need a wiki, there is a recipe database within the game.

Yep, hit "x". It was patched to be more useful within the last couple weeks. When you unlock a new alternative recipe, it'll show up in that part's entry, too!

I'm having trouble with train stations, if anyone knows - I keep getting certain "invalid stop" errors. This almost certainly has to do with my track layout, where I have the station of a stop at the very end of the track. My trains are typically 4 freight cars with a locomotive facing opposite of each end. I have enough track laid out between my initial factory (south of the map by the arch formation the Manta flies through regularly, aka "Archway") up to the north side of the "blue jungle" where there's two quartz mines, to the South-east of the map around the "Blue Crater" where there's some good nodes including oil ones! I have facilities in each area and have taken to shipping extra pumped crude oil back to the archway for processing into plastic, rubber, and turning the heavy residue into turbo fuel (which along with compacted coal I was lucky to unlock early on).

The point of this story is, my rail lines are full of gently caress and madness, and despite my honest attempt to compartmentalize power generation, I ended up having lots of fuel generators powering everything via rails. So I know every rail is connecting okay, because I don't have any outages at any of my outposts. Having two locomotives makes it so a train can dock at a terminal station and reverse out to another station... except when it doesn't. I've tried adding loopbacks but the time table really, REALLY doesn't like it when the entire train turns around with a choo-choo on each end.

Clearly, the solution is build another mega-factory on the opposite side of the map and just connect it back to all the trains I have that actually work, so the new area can concentrate on making high-end parts. yes, this is what I must do.

Man, I feel better about this now, thanks guys, I really appreciate the pep talk. :jiggled:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Tracks have to be a loop in order for the auto pilot to work. If the track just ends, the train can't get back because the autopilot doesn't go backwards, so it says invalid station.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

You can get double-ended trains to work with a single, non-looped track.

Make the train station arrows pointing away from themselves <-----------> and put each stop twice in a row, so: Home, Home, Coal, Coal or whatever names you want to use.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

kloa posted:

You can get double-ended trains to work with a single, non-looped track.

Make the train station arrows pointing away from themselves <-----------> and put each stop twice in a row, so: Home, Home, Coal, Coal or whatever names you want to use.

Oooh, didn't think of that!

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
I think my favorite part of this game is that a fully autonomous self-driving vehicle with included automated pick up and delivery from stops is somehow less complicated than a loving train.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Train pros: can drive up a cliff or over the void without 45 minutes of foundation building

Train cons: takes understanding Satisfactory specific shuttle stop science to have more than 2 stops without a loop.

I just have a simple A-B double headed shuttle now and it works fine but will keep in mind the shuttle tricks if I ever want more.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

So are trains in this going to infuriate for me if I actually (gasp!) understand how signaling in Factorio worked, then? :v:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

So are trains in this going to infuriate for me if I actually (gasp!) understand how signaling in Factorio worked, then? :v:

Not even slightly. There is no train signals and trains don't have collision with each other, so there's no management to be done around having multiple trains on the tracks.

Presumably this will be improved at some point, but for now it's very straightforward.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Nah trains in this are much simpler than Factorio. There's no collision, so you can have all your trains use the same line back to HQ if you want.

e: f;b

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

part of me is happy about that; another part is sad about no spectacular cargo train collisions. something something contrasts etc

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I read on the wiki that there's an issue with the branching tracks where a train that wants to go in one direction can cause an error where another train coming up too soon can change the direction and cause a train to split or something. Other than that, trains decide where they are going and switch the tracks on their own.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Cojawfee posted:

I read on the wiki that there's an issue with the branching tracks where a train that wants to go in one direction can cause an error where another train coming up too soon can change the direction and cause a train to split or something. Other than that, trains decide where they are going and switch the tracks on their own.

They said the most recent patches has a hack fix for trains splitting. You will still see it split but after a moment it should snap back into the right position and go on its way.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Train snapping....I'm all about that. drat I'm really having a lack of motivation to do aluminum...I hate that there's no more research to do, makes me sad.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I have a question.

In watching earlier videos of Let's Game it Out, it shows not only factory foundations but also stairs unlockable at Tier 1. I cannot build stairs. Why can I not build stairs? Were stairs removed?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

khy posted:

I have a question.

In watching earlier videos of Let's Game it Out, it shows not only factory foundations but also stairs unlockable at Tier 1. I cannot build stairs. Why can I not build stairs? Were stairs removed?

You have to get to the awesome sink and the ticket store and you can buy the plans from there.

tranten
Jan 14, 2003

^pube

The videos you’re watching are of an earlier version of the game. They’ve moved around where and when certain things are unlocked.
(Stairs suck)

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

tranten posted:

The videos you’re watching are of an earlier version of the game. They’ve moved around where and when certain things are unlocked.
(Stairs suck)

Stairs are great aesthetically and wrap around the new column supports perfectly. They’re outdated as soon as you have tubes but every osha compliant factory needs code compliant fire exits after all.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
One thing I don't like about this game is how the walls interact with foundations. It seems like the intended way to make walls and floors is to build the walls up and then attach floors to the walls. This is how the ramps line up with floors. But then you can't put the pillars between floors, because the pillars want to be at the same height as the foundations. And also stairs don't seem to line up with floors, but stairs suck anyway.

Also, I wish there were more sizes to for the foundation frames. I want 1m tall frames so I can use them as rafters or something.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

M_Gargantua posted:

Stairs are great aesthetically and wrap around the new column supports perfectly. They’re outdated as soon as you have tubes but every osha compliant factory needs code compliant fire exits after all.

Oh god I didn’t think of that either!! Stairs are such an odd duck, especially when walkways look much nicer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tranten
Jan 14, 2003

^pube

Cojawfee posted:

But then you can't put the pillars between floors, because the pillars want to be at the same height as the foundations.

I don't think I understand your complaint here... I can put a pillar bottom on top of a foundation just fine, and if I'm underneath a foundation I can put a pillar top under it no problem. The pillars themselves will allow themselves to be shorter than their normal length in order to fit between pillar tops and bottoms, you just have to already have the bottom and top in place.