Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

LimburgLimbo posted:

The thing is you don’t even have to be a massive surveillance state like China (not that there’s no surveillance in other states but there’s certainly a qualitative difference to mainland China) to get it to work, you just have to move quickly and competently, provide good guidelines, and have most people follow them or get punished for not following them, like Taiwan, South Korea, Singapore, etc.

People need to wrap their heads around the idea that there’s actual consequences to decades of propaganda against the idea of reasonable and competent government and intentional destruction of institutions intended to act in exactly these circumstances.

i agree, taiwan and south korea were just as able to contain this pandemic without going to the same measures china did and they both are things to look at but, considering the extent of china's lockdowns i don't know how you can't look at their similar situations and claim that china is the one with a massive coverup to hide hundreds of thousands dead. you can't hide exponential growth and all of the "sources" claiming there's a cover up are american-funded propaganda outlets and just flat out "CHINESE PEOPLE ARE LIARS"

LimburgLimbo posted:

I also think that the cremation thing is very shaky evidence at best and that it’s being repeated so much mostly just says that there’s no good evidence, but “I saw something the other day” and not linking it or providing any more information is just as bad dude

you're right, i was irresponsible for not linking it. i was speaking off the cuff but i found the source i got it from

https://twitter.com/MaxBlumenthal/status/1246156916797116419

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

is meniscus moldbug still around

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Georgia's stay at home directive took effect at 6pm tonight, but the beaches were reopened 1-2 hours later. What? How? I uhhh, what? Is this like a loving trap? Like go to the beaches they are open, but j/k stay at home is in effect so welcome to jail style poo poo?

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Taiwan owns

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Serf posted:

Maybe he’s hanging out with Lucian witnrich the third

Serf
May 5, 2011

Zotix posted:

Georgia's stay at home directive took effect at 6pm tonight, but the beaches were reopened 1-2 hours later. What? How? I uhhh, what? Is this like a loving trap? Like go to the beaches they are open, but j/k stay at home is in effect so welcome to jail style poo poo?

nobody here knows what the gently caress is going on. my mom is being told that after two weeks of work from home they're supposed to come back next week

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

bad news is ive developed a cough, chills and a fever... the good news is fevers are like free drugs for me

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

spaceblancmange posted:

https://twitter.com/abcnews/status/1246241766782545920

The only thing this headline is missing is 'while on fire'

"They coughed on me." is the new "Stop resisting!".

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

Spoondick posted:

bad news is ive developed a cough, chills and a fever... the good news is fevers are like free drugs for me

i'll be praying for you spoondick

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Celexi posted:

Taiwan owns

I think you mean Formosa.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Shipon posted:

i agree, taiwan and south korea were just as able to contain this pandemic without going to the same measures china did and they both are things to look at but, considering the extent of china's lockdowns i don't know how you can't look at their similar situations and claim that china is the one with a massive coverup to hide hundreds of thousands dead. you can't hide exponential growth and all of the "sources" claiming there's a cover up are american-funded propaganda outlets and just flat out "CHINESE PEOPLE ARE LIARS"

The Chinese government lies about its massive slave/torture camps constantly. The notion that they wouldn't lie about this to improve their image is absurd. It's incredibly easy to cover up which deaths are COVID-19 and which are not. The US is doing the same thing already with plenty of undiagnosed flu/pneumonia/respiratory failure deaths. We certainly aren't testing the undiagnosed bodies.

Lots of countries are going to lie about their COVID-19 figures before this is through.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Serf posted:

this dude's wikiquote page is filled with the most amazing poo poo

quote:

Can democracy terminate democracy? Isn't this a contradiction in terms? Not at all. Here is one straightforward way by which Americans can terminate democracy: elect a President who has promised to cancel the Constitution. Once he is inaugurated, he can cancel the Constitution. Of course, the military must also support this autogolpe. This given, the operation is trivial and entirely safe.

one weird trick states DON'T want you to know!!!

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

American intelligence is doing great

https://twitter.com/KenDilanianNBC/status/1246260448296607747?s=20

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

It's a libertarian paradise!

Zeriel
Nov 6, 2004

The southern states are useless dead weight and for the 2nd time they are going to needlessly kill millions of Americans.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Inceltown posted:

I present to you this short film called "USA's response to COVID"

https://giant.gfycat.com/SelfassuredAjarFanworms.mp4

for a moment i thought that was a collection of shaving brushes that plink's cats had brought him

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Vox Nihili posted:

The Chinese government lies about its massive slave/torture camps constantly. The notion that they wouldn't lie about this as well is absurd. It's incredibly easy to cover up which deaths are COVID-19 and which are not. The US is doing the same thing already with plenty of undiagnosed flu/pneumonia/respiratory failure deaths. We certainly aren't testing the undiagnosed bodies.

i don't doubt that the true total might be higher but that's more due to the same factor as other countries which didn't count all the deaths properly.

china's true death total will be higher but for the same reason as every other country's, and we won't find out except in a decade after careful studies of mortality rates and whatnot. china isn't shovelling mountains of dead bodies into mass graves and incinerators, no matter what the new york times would have you believe.

they lie about the slave/torture camps because they don't give a poo poo about the uighurs. they do, actually, have an incentive to not let their population die off in a mass pandemic.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Grapplejack posted:

this dude's wikiquote page is filled with the most amazing poo poo

one weird trick states DON'T want you to know!!!

holy poo poo its amazing

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Serf posted:

nobody here knows what the gently caress is going on. my mom is being told that after two weeks of work from home they're supposed to come back next week

Yeah I live in Atlanta now. I have recently lived in Glynn country which was probably a big driver of getting the beaches open, and what a shithole that place was. I'll tell my employer to gently caress right off if I'm told I can no longer work from home.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Alabama finally, finally issued a shelter in place order. As of tomorrow.

It's woefully inadequate

Serf
May 5, 2011

Shipon posted:

i don't doubt that the true total might be higher but that's more due to the same factor as other countries which didn't count all the deaths properly.

china's true death total will be higher but for the same reason as every other country's, and we won't find out except in a decade after careful studies of mortality rates and whatnot. china isn't shovelling mountains of dead bodies into mass graves and incinerators, no matter what the new york times would have you believe.

remember when people here were posting that 4chan "research" that they said proved 14 million rona deaths in china

Serf
May 5, 2011

Zotix posted:

Yeah I live in Atlanta now. I have recently lived in Glynn country which was probably a big driver of getting the beaches open, and what a shithole that place was. I'll tell my employer to gently caress right off if I'm told I can no longer work from home.

tybee island should be burned to the ground

in a videogame

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

is there a reason I couldn't boil or bake an N95 lol

or soak it in alcohol

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

lol I just had the most grand realization today.

Wuhan brought the R0 from something like 3 to 0.3. They got it way loving under 1. Exponential processes work the same way on the decay side as on the explosion side; a number like 0.3 is a total fire extinguisher.

But what is America going to do? We're going to loving wreck the economy while a significant lack of individual cooperation keeps the R0 at something like 1.2.

The growth rate will be the perfect size where we stay overwhelmed and flailing, but things keep slowly worsening as we slowly slide to herd immunity. It will last exceedingly long, like slowly pulling the band-aid off to cause as much pain as possible.

lmao

Yeah basically this, look at how slowly Italy deaths and cases are falling with a more strict lockdown than we have, we're gonna be a lot worse than that.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
My GenX nominally libertarian friend tonight says, “I’m not so big on capitalism anymore.”

:sickos:

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
So I went out today during the "lockdown" here in FL and it's about as busy as it ever was. Nothing has changed

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Phi230 posted:

So I went out today during the "lockdown" here in FL and it's about as busy as it ever was. Nothing has changed

Same thing in Georgia. I had a teledoc appt this morning and had to go to CVS to get a prescription filled, and the roads were ~75-80% of a normal workday. I drove to CVS and immediately back home. I bet the rest of the people on the road weren't doing the same thing.

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
https://twitter.com/SRuhle/status/1246266251586011139

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Vox Nihili posted:

The Chinese government lies about its massive slave/torture camps constantly. The notion that they wouldn't lie about this to improve their image is absurd. It's incredibly easy to cover up which deaths are COVID-19 and which are not. The US is doing the same thing already with plenty of undiagnosed flu/pneumonia/respiratory failure deaths. We certainly aren't testing the undiagnosed bodies.

Lots of countries are going to lie about their COVID-19 figures before this is through.

When France and Italy and Spain weren't getting an accurate report of their death tolls it was because resources were stretched so thin that people couldn't check up on old folks homes to count the numbers of seniors dead in theirs beds of corona

When China does it, it's because they're lying?

rump buttman
Feb 14, 2018

I just wish I had time for one more bowl of chili

Vox Nihili posted:

Given the nature of our global economy and state actors, I don't think any will. why would they?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Zotix posted:

The beaches closing were from popular resort towns closing themselves the gently caress off because rich dipshits from New York Atlanta Miami Chicago etc keep deciding to ride the pandemic out on vacation, deplete the local groceries, and bring the virus with them to small towns with far less medical resources. See Jersey Shore, Hamptons, Sun Valley Idaho, Edwards Colorado etc. Kemp is a dumb dumb CHUD governor whose resisted putting in place a stay at home order. Now hes putting it in place about three weeks too late but also hes doing the newly popular CHUD move of also repealing and forbidding stricter local measures from taking effect. Which means Tybee Island and other tourist communities on the coast are being forced to reopen because its moved from local mandate to state.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Phi230 posted:

Uh... that's because you're in Florida. The people there are dumb as gently caress, op.

Present company excluded, hopefully.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

D1E posted:

Uh... that's because you're in Florida. The people there are dumb as gently caress, op.

Present company excluded, hopefully.

Nah I'm dumb as poo poo and it rules

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

lol I just had the most grand realization today.

Wuhan brought the R0 from something like 3 to 0.3. They got it way loving under 1. Exponential processes work the same way on the decay side as on the explosion side; a number like 0.3 is a total fire extinguisher.

But what is America going to do? We're going to loving wreck the economy while a significant lack of individual cooperation keeps the R0 at something like 1.2.

The growth rate will be the perfect size where we stay overwhelmed and flailing, but things keep slowly worsening as we slowly slide to herd immunity. It will last exceedingly long, like slowly pulling the band-aid off to cause as much pain as possible.

lmao
It's rare that we get to experience math this viscerally.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Zeriel posted:

The southern states are useless dead weight and for the 2nd time they are going to needlessly kill millions of Americans.

As a Kentuckian I am really enjoying the plot twist of Kentucky AND West Virginia having a more competent and quickly done response than almost any other state except maybe Washington and Cali while the rest of the South burns itself down to the ground out of spite as expected.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

snoo posted:

is there a reason I couldn't boil or bake an N95 lol

or soak it in alcohol

baking them for like 30 mins at 150 is apparently effective. Look up the actual numbers (was from some study) before doing it obviously

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

MaxxBot posted:

Spent an hour refreshing +1321 deaths hoping for +1337
I only see plus 1263 for the US.

And like 1120 for France, yikes!

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Serf posted:

moldbugs actually a successful computer guy. the last i saw of him were his emails to steve bannon about how he got drunk with peter thiel that were written in the exact same tone as a GBS guy in 2005 proudly describing drinking four IPAs

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Shipon posted:

We'll never be able to confirm the figures out of China. Maybe they're accurate to a reasonable extent (good faith estimates that downplay only somewhat) or maybe they're off by an order of magnitude. China was also placed in the unique position of experiencing it's first cases before anyone had any inkling of what was going on.

In terms of drawing comparisons to the United States, we can look at countries like South Korea and immediately see that the US response has been laughably ineffective at a glance anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

Zeriel posted:

the governments of the southern states, sure