Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I haven't seen the last couple episodes, but the writers really dug themselves a hole making the Kite-Man pairing so beloved if they intend to go IvyQuinn this season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Daikloktos posted:

I haven't seen the last couple episodes, but the writers really dug themselves a hole making the Kite-Man pairing so beloved if they intend to go IvyQuinn this season

I will say that Kite Man seems chill enough to step aside if Ivy decides to break up with him.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Ludicrous chutzpah that he somehow gets away with through luck and fundamental decency is his calling card, so i think he'll break up with her and they'll stay friends afterwards.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

Didn't they say officially that Ivy and Harley have/are a thing?

This seems pretty official.

The Harley Quinn ongoing where that's from is not part of the continuity. Harley in main continuity is definitely in a relationship with Ivy but it's sorta ambiguous atm (more on Ivy's part at this point than Harley's).

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Ah that's interesting. I just googled Harley and Ivy comic and that's what I got.

I could see them adding Batgirl next season and have her be Harley's offical nemesis but they're friends outside of the cape buisness. Also no Joker, at all. Nope, nothing he's dead. Never gonna see him again.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Current continuity, Harley is road tripping with Ivy and trying to go legit while also being pursued by one of Ivy's personal enemies. This was after both of them signed up for a house for costumed people looking for therapy that ended up with everyone but a few people dead (arguably no one important died though).

Also Harley is currently part of the Suicide Squad

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I don't read (most) comics so coming to the realization that Sy Borgman isn't exclusive to this cartoon is blowing my mind a bit.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Not the first cartoon to scrape up obscure D-listers from the comics. The short-lived Beware the Batman actually made a point of not using any of the well-known villains in favour of obscure ones. (though in practice they ended up retooling the obscure ones to fit the roles of the well-known ones; Magpie with a Lady Gaga-inspired makeover became the Catwoman analogue, Anarky for the Joker, and I think Professor Pyg was an ecoterrorist like Ivy) Gotham also used a few, like the Electrocutioner, the Dollmaker and again Professor Pyg.

Has some upsides, including that you can change up characters and have them act basically whatever role you need and no one will really care. (They explicitly said something like that when changing Doofus Drake for the new DuckTales; they actually looked around on the internet to see if the character had any fans for some reason and they found exactly two pieces of fan art, neither were flattering)

Clayface is probably the most prominent character to get significant changes, but then again, there's been quite a few takes on the character. The comics have had three, and The Batman briefly had two running around at the same time, the second of which was a failed actor similar to this one.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I mean, Praxis showed up. That's obscure as gently caress.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I liked what Gotham did with Victor Fries and Nora because it was different. Instead of Nora being frozen, Victor was trying to figure out how to freeze her without killing her but by the time he figured out the right formula, Nora realised what kind of person he was turning into to save her from her disease, so when he finally got the formula right and was about to use it, she tricked him into leaving the room and switched the cartridge in the gun for an old one, killing herself because she didn't want to be the reason he was killing people.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The short-lived Beware the Batman
Hahah, they ended up burning off the airing contract by marathoning these after midnight on Adult Swim. Can't imagine what kind of ratings poison would prompt that.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Not the first cartoon to scrape up obscure D-listers from the comics. The short-lived Beware the Batman actually made a point of not using any of the well-known villains in favour of obscure ones. (though in practice they ended up retooling the obscure ones to fit the roles of the well-known ones; Magpie with a Lady Gaga-inspired makeover became the Catwoman analogue, Anarky for the Joker, and I think Professor Pyg was an ecoterrorist like Ivy) Gotham also used a few, like the Electrocutioner, the Dollmaker and again Professor Pyg.

Has some upsides, including that you can change up characters and have them act basically whatever role you need and no one will really care. (They explicitly said something like that when changing Doofus Drake for the new DuckTales; they actually looked around on the internet to see if the character had any fans for some reason and they found exactly two pieces of fan art, neither were flattering)

Clayface is probably the most prominent character to get significant changes, but then again, there's been quite a few takes on the character. The comics have had three, and The Batman briefly had two running around at the same time, the second of which was a failed actor similar to this one.

I actually think most the DC series and cartoons, even the CW Arrowverse ones, have been pretty good at using from the vast catalogue of existing comic book and cartoon villains for their throwaway villains of the week, like the Flash S4 "bus metas", that included Killg%re, Hazard, Weeper, Fallout, The Fiddler etc, and even the villains threated like throwaway jokes (like "the Condiment King" in Lego Batman Movie or Kite man in Harley Quinn) are "established" characters. Myself, I'm not THAT well versed in comic books, so it has become a normal routine to google all these names and find out that they were in fact a character in some obscure batman story from the 1940's or something.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Daikloktos posted:

Hahah, they ended up burning off the airing contract by marathoning these after midnight on Adult Swim. Can't imagine what kind of ratings poison would prompt that.

Nothing. This was in the middle of the they really hate DC phase for Cartoon Network. Show was doing fine ratings wise then they pulled it off the air at episode 9, with no explanation, gave no hint at it's return and basically pretended it did not exist. (They had previously done this to Young Justice.) The DVD for the first half the season featured episodes that had not aired yet, and the rest of the series aired in other countries first.

Eventually the announced it was part of Toonami. But after a few episodes there, CN then wrote the show off as a failure meaning it could never air again forcing Toonami to air the final 7 episodes in a marathon or just dropping it the week after with 7 episodes unaired.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Mar 17, 2020

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

kjetting posted:

I actually think most the DC series and cartoons, even the CW Arrowverse ones, have been pretty good at using from the vast catalogue of existing comic book and cartoon villains for their throwaway villains of the week, like the Flash S4 "bus metas", that included Killg%re, Hazard, Weeper, Fallout, The Fiddler etc, and even the villains threated like throwaway jokes (like "the Condiment King" in Lego Batman Movie or Kite man in Harley Quinn) are "established" characters. Myself, I'm not THAT well versed in comic books, so it has become a normal routine to google all these names and find out that they were in fact a character in some obscure batman story from the 1940's or something.

Even Tudyk's character in Powerless was a cousin of Bruce Wayne from a single Batman issue in 1962. The writers love this stuff.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Yeah, Beware the Batman wasn't BAD, just a bit wonky.

Though Professor Pyg and assistant had no reason to be in the show in their incarnation.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Wasn't there a comic at one point where Ivy/Harley were talking to Batgirl and one of them says something about being surprised that Batgirl and then-Supergirl (forget which one was in that role at the time) weren't a couple, and they should double-date sometime?

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Season 3 of Harley Quinn is up

Henker
May 5, 2009

Christ, I guess we're not seeing the Penguin again.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

theblackw0lf posted:

Season 3 of Harley Quinn is up

You mean 2.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I can understand if some people don't like where this is going but I kinda dig it. King Shark was as lovely and casually hyperviolent as always.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Bane is just a delight.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Poor Bane. Never going to get any respect.

Kinda sad that Gordon didn't form a new gang with the boys and Cheryl

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Henker posted:

Christ, I guess we're not seeing the Penguin again.

I more or less figured it was open season on the Rogues Gallery once Scarecrow died.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Poor Bane. Never going to get any respect.

Kinda sad that Gordon didn't form a new gang with the boys and Cheryl

Bane definitely gonna turn and get his revenge. Also Gordon's gonna have a mental break and put on the cowl and shave his chest hair into a bat shape.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Gordon just needs to fall into a vat of chemicals and complete his furred transformation into Man Bat.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Clayface and King Shark are a loving treat to watch.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I don't think I can wrap my brain around the idea of Bane dying.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Xelkelvos posted:

Also Gordon's gonna have a mental break and put on the cowl and shave his chest hair into a bat shape.
Definitely seemed like there's gonna be some Gordon superheroing, given the scene with the thrown bottle.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I wouldn't be surprised if even villains who definitely died come back due to comic book shenanigans. I mean the penguin just has an umbrella gun and money and somehow he hasn't been killed before?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
And this is the franchise with a specific canonical means of resurrection.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That was excellent. They really need to make this Clayface the new canon across all media.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Bane just mumbling after Harley was frozen had me laughing pretty good.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
There was a moment when I thought that Bane would legit join Harley, the other guys are dicks .

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Angry Lobster posted:

There was a moment when I thought that Bane would legit join Harley, the other guys are dicks .

That is definitely going to happen and it's going to blow up in his face so bad.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Angry Lobster posted:

He should. Of the Rogue's Gallery he's closest to what Ivy described as being "a bad guy, but not a bad person." He'd fit in pretty well with the rest of her crew, and the (relatively more) supportive environment would be good for him.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
He's come a long way to be sure. He didn't threaten to blow up the coffee machine!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

mllaneza posted:

He should. Of the Rogue's Gallery he's closest to what Ivy described as being "a bad guy, but not a bad person." He'd fit in pretty well with the rest of her crew, and the (relatively more) supportive environment would be good for him.

His place also looks the least hellscape-ish.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Xelkelvos posted:

You mean 2.

No, it's season 3. The quarantine has been going on for about a year now.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I like how Bane's territory has the Batman & Robin look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I like how that the bar they were hanging out was at Noonan's from the Hitman Comic. Hitman is great and Tommy Monaghan and his crew should show up in other media.