Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I think you can at least install the individual levels separately?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Zereth posted:

I think you can at least install the individual levels separately?

Yes, each level can also be bought separately and is thus considered a DLC.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah you can also save space by not using the bad sniper mode/maps.

Sleve McDichael
Feb 11, 2019

~nice~
Modern Warfare is almost 190gb :mrwhite:

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I hope it will be reined in somewhat with the next console generation since they said lot of the size bloat is due to having assets multiplied as many as hundreds of times on the disc to cut down on loading times (and I assume no one can be bothered to re-do this for PC and SSD-havers in general).

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
From what I've been told, the problem lies primarily in the audio, which is incredibly expansive and keeps getting only more so as players expect every little thing in a game to be voiced in every language available, which is then compounded by the fact that console manufacturers insist on audio being shipped uncompressed for some reason that is not known to me. Since games keep getting long and incidental dialogue and chatter start becoming something that is just expected for a game to feel complete to players, this is likely to only increase.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I feel like they have to do something, because by going (NVMe-) SSD the new consoles aren't even getting more storage space, just faster storage for now. Xbox Sex launches with 1 TB and PS5 with 800-something GB.

It's going to be fun if game sizes keep ballooning though.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

orcane posted:

I feel like they have to, because by going (NVMe-) SSD the new consoles aren't upgrading storage space at all, just speed. Xbox Sex launches with 1 TB and PS5 with 800-something GB.

It's going to be fun if game sizes keep ballooning though.

I was really surprised they went with 1TB. I guess it’s adequate now but it’s gonna be a real problem in a few years when games are 300 TB, just like 500 GB was fine enough in 2013 but became a problem pretty quick.

Then again, I’m also crazy about storage space, I added 4TB of SSDs to my desktop basically as soon as I got it, because I’m the type of person to want to play a little Division 2 or Call of Duty here and there, and those are each 150+ GB games.

Orv
May 4, 2011
2030: Motherboards are 75% SSD connection methods.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I was really surprised they went with 1TB. I guess it’s adequate now but it’s gonna be a real problem in a few years when games are 300 TB, just like 500 GB was fine enough in 2013 but became a problem pretty quick.

Then again, I’m also crazy about storage space, I added 4TB of SSDs to my desktop basically as soon as I got it, because I’m the type of person to want to play a little Division 2 or Call of Duty here and there, and those are each 150+ GB games.
Even a 1 TB drive in a PS4 (eg.) fills up super fast and I'm not even playing the worst stuff I know of on console (like CoD, Destiny, Hitman 2 - I do have AssCreed Odyssey installed though) because of how some large games don't do delta patching, so they require tons of free space just for updates (even if the end result is only an increase of <5 GB). We'll see how the new hardware compression helps, but yeah I feel like the launch storage sizes will quickly become inadequate if things progress as they did over the past ~5 years.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

orcane posted:

Even a 1 TB drive in a PS4 (eg.) fills up super fast and I'm not even playing the worst stuff I know of on console (like CoD, Destiny, Hitman 2 - I do have AssCreed Odyssey installed though) because of how some large games don't do delta patching, so they require tons of free space just for updates (even if the end result is only an increase of <5 GB). We'll see how the new hardware compression helps, but yeah I feel like the launch storage sizes will quickly become inadequate if things progress as they did over the past ~5 years.

It’s why I uninstalled BLOPS IV when I did all my gaming on PS4- I just couldn’t keep it updated since keeping an extra 150GB for it to shuffle files around, on top of the 150GB it took up, just was not feasible at all.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
I've played three hours of The Witness. The island is beautifully designed and I feel like it completely puts to shame many bigger "exploration" games. Wonderful fast-ish travel system, too. Now if I wasn't such an imbecile maybe I'd be making more progress on some of these puzzles... it took me this long to conclusively understand what the black/white squares wanted from me and having already explored much of the island I know I'm now ready to tackle some other areas, cause I saw that mechanic in lots of other places.

Got a laser up and running and halfway to another, so far.

I could, uh, probably do without the tapes, but whatever. No one's forcing me to click them I guess!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

It's worth exploring a bit instead of focusing on one area too much, because you learn some stuff from other puzzles. Sometimes you can get by without that experience, so it feels like you're meant to just work it out as you go, but then you'll hit an example that does need some knowledge that you're taught from other puzzles. So don't feel bad if you get stuck!

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
While we're on this topic, what was that Myst-like game that had a focus on taking photographs paintings [??] of various things to advance the plot? I remember seeing its trailer, it seemed fairly recent, also was populated by (iirc) photorealistic humans that talked to you. It really struck a chord with me but I can't find it to save my life.

edit: vv aw you legend

Serephina fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Apr 4, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Serephina posted:

While we're on this topic, what was that Myst-like game that had a focus on taking photographs paintings [??] of various things to advance the plot? I remember seeing its trailer, it seemed fairly recent, also was populated by (iirc) photorealistic humans that talked to you. It really struck a chord with me but I can't find it to save my life.
I believe you mean Eastshade.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/715560/Eastshade/

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Sleve McDichael posted:

Modern Warfare is almost 190gb :mrwhite:

At least that's with the Battle Royale mode too and it lets you install just that or the regular game independently of one another, but yeah, still loving huge lol. Unless I'm misremembering it does not let you install just campaign or MP separately, right? I know some previous CoD games did and I wish they kept that up.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
There's nothing separate (at least on PC) and it was that big before Warzone came out. I eventually gave up on COD because it kept wanting like 30GB patches every couple of days at the beginning. Eventually I uninstalled it because I had to patch my game 95 loving gigs. I did reinstall it for Warzone though, and I do not regret it. The new COD is extremely, extremely good.

Orv
May 4, 2011

goferchan posted:

At least that's with the Battle Royale mode too and it lets you install just that or the regular game independently of one another, but yeah, still loving huge lol. Unless I'm misremembering it does not let you install just campaign or MP separately, right? I know some previous CoD games did and I wish they kept that up.

I do not believe that's an option with any of the ones on Battlenet and they dropped support for it on the final couple Steam ones as well.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

any suggestions for a game which is okay for like 2-4 people to play together? I was looking at rust but it might be a bit too much effort though we used to play dayz when it was an arma mod.

last oasis looked interesting but apparently the login is hosed and the servers aren't even up.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

hemale in pain posted:

any suggestions for a game which is okay for like 2-4 people to play together? I was looking at rust but it might be a bit too much effort though we used to play dayz when it was an arma mod.

last oasis looked interesting but apparently the login is hosed and the servers aren't even up.

Mobas (dota etc)
HellDivers
Monaco
Trine (?)

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH

hemale in pain posted:

Dying Light co-op is a blast.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

drat, never heard of this. Looks great.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Whoa whoa whoa. Bigfoot. Bigfoot game. Someone tell me that BIGFOOT is good I would like to help find him.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

ErrEff posted:

drat, never heard of this. Looks great.
I haven't played it myself, but I've heard nothing but good things about it.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

AMID EVIL is getting new content.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Okay, lost all self-control and stress-bought AssCreed Odyssey. Partly because I keep hearing it's amazing, partly because I am a bit burnt out on Origins (for story reasons, not gameplay), and partly because with the uplay sale + discount code the base game was 17.11$ which is insane for how big it is.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Finished LiS: Before the Storm, then played Captain Spirit. That was kind of neat

I am kind of impressed how hard it taxes my 1060 though...

At least the graphics got an upgrade from that 2004 quality graphics tho in the first life is strange.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

orcane posted:

Yeah, since they’re requiring games to be installed on the NVMe because it’s being used as a sort of giant texture cache, it feels like they’re going to need to find a way to allow games to be installed on a slower drive and then cached through a portion of the NVMe. Manually swapping entire games around when you want to play them is already going to be a huge pain in the rear end.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

StrixNebulosa posted:

Okay, lost all self-control and stress-bought AssCreed Odyssey. Partly because I keep hearing it's amazing, partly because I am a bit burnt out on Origins (for story reasons, not gameplay), and partly because with the uplay sale + discount code the base game was 17.11$ which is insane for how big it is.

It’s a very good game, and 17.11 is an insane playtime:dollar ratio. Don’t feel like you have to 100 percent it, you’ll get 80 very fun hours from it just doing the story and whatever sounds fun.

Orv
May 4, 2011
This is gonna sound like wild, hyperbolic astroturfing level praise but I'm mostly just serious: Odyssey is a like, irresponsible amount of game, almost. There are plenty of long, hefty RPGs out and about over the last decade but it just doesn't stop and at some point I got so mentally exhausted that even just thinking about that game kind of tires me out a little. I liked it a lot! But man, maybe there is in fact such a thing as too much content.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It’s a very good game, and 17.11 is an insane playtime:dollar ratio. Don’t feel like you have to 100 percent it, you’ll get 80 very fun hours from it just doing the story and whatever sounds fun.

Yeah, I started off trying to obsessively clear the map after doing most of Origins that way, and while I wouldn't suggest playing either game that way, I really really don't suggest trying that approach with Odyssey. It's just way too much.

Orv posted:

This is gonna sound like wild, hyperbolic astroturfing level praise but I'm mostly just serious: Odyssey is a like, irresponsible amount of game, almost. There are plenty of long, hefty RPGs out and about over the last decade but it just doesn't stop and at some point I got so mentally exhausted that even just thinking about that game kind of tires me out a little. I liked it a lot! But man, maybe there is in fact such a thing as too much content.

I didn't even want to think about playing the DLC until like a year later, and even then I only made it through the first one before deciding I'd had enough again. At least I enjoyed the first one more than most people seem to.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Don't worry about me finishing Odyssey, I have problems sticking with AAA games even when I love them. I've just now uninstalled Shadow of Mordor because I can't find the will to play it some more, I abandoned Far Cry 3 and 4 roughly 10-20 hours into each one, and 25+ hours in AssCreed Origins wore me out. I keep thinking I'll reinstall and go back to them, but who knows. This might be a fault with me, but whatever, I enjoyed my time with them.

I fully expect to get 20-40 hours out of Odyssey before I burn out, at which point AssCreed Sequel will probably be out and will lure me away. Who knows!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Sinteres posted:

I didn't even want to think about playing the DLC until like a year later, and even then I only made it through the first one before deciding I'd had enough again.
It might be a big part of what turned me off of the game. There are so many activities all over the utterly, humongously huge map and so many of them are nearly exactly the same. I would absolutely recommend only doing as many of them as you feel you need for resources, gear and to keep up with the leveling curve, but not one more. You'll die of old age before you run out.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

StrixNebulosa posted:

Don't worry about me finishing Odyssey, I have problems sticking with AAA games even when I love them. I've just now uninstalled Shadow of Mordor because I can't find the will to play it some more, I abandoned Far Cry 3 and 4 roughly 10-20 hours into each one, and 25+ hours in AssCreed Origins wore me out. I keep thinking I'll reinstall and go back to them, but who knows. This might be a fault with me, but whatever, I enjoyed my time with them.

I fully expect to get 20-40 hours out of Odyssey before I burn out, at which point AssCreed Sequel will probably be out and will lure me away. Who knows!
I long ago decided that playing a game until I don't want to play it anymore instead of forcing myself to complete it for completions sake is actually the correct way to do it. My main problem is that when I do go back to games, I am compelled to start over instead of just taking the few minutes to re-orient myself with my old save, meaning I've played the first half of a lot of games five times without finishing them.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
assassin's creed origins was one of the worst games i bought this console generation and i have no cause to believe odyssey is any better

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Orv posted:

Nope, that's my exact beef against the game. Its huge even by Ubisoft's open world standards.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

It's hilarious that in their enormous game that's filled with too much stuff they felt the need to add radiant quests and user created quests just in case some psychopath actually did everything there was to do.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

assassin's creed origins was one of the worst games i bought this console generation and i have no cause to believe odyssey is any better

Turn on your monitor, it's one of the prettiest and best realized environments I've ever seen in a video game. God, their depiction of Egypt was so good.

As for the gameplay we can argue over it, but hot drat those temples and pyramids and deserts and hippos...

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

Turn on your monitor, it's one of the prettiest and best realized environments I've ever seen in a video game. God, their depiction of Egypt was so good.

it was only one of the worst but it was absolutely the ugliest

i've never seen such dismal pop-in, it was like the world ceased to exist ten meters away from the PC. characters hoisting boxes that weren't there, shadows that only materialized at point-blank range

i got maybe 90 minutes into it before turning it off and i never picked it up again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Oxxidation posted:

it was only one of the worst but it was absolutely the ugliest

i've never seen such dismal pop-in, it was like the world ceased to exist ten meters away from the PC. characters hoisting boxes that weren't there, shadows that only materialized at point-blank range

i got maybe 90 minutes into it before turning it off and i never picked it up again

It's admittedly a hardware intensive game but I don't remember having problems like that at all on my deece PC.