Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

nong posted:

clearly they haven't been to a wet market or a more polite term traditional market

all the live animals in cages with grime caked onto them, including feces, blood, hair, feathers and whatever else, covering the silver metal wires containing the animal and turned those cages black
no need to wash any of this because you are just going to put the next animal inside and things will get dirty again quickly

wooden chopping board probably have seen hundreds of animal parts on it everyday and the usual brown color of wood grains being replaced with an almost dull pitch black color with a worn deep groove in the center showing where most of the cutting was done, why washing any of this between cutting different animals because you can save time and serve a lot more customers instead

the market used to be dark because you only need just enough light for others to see what you are selling, nowadays it's replaced by a blinding cool white led light that feels sterile but at least shows every nooks and crannies

the floor filled with blood and whatever else being drained into an open pipe and all the food are out in the open for the flies to land on, the bloody bits get soaked into the concrete or asphalt so the whole place has a certain smell, especially when they try to hose it down with water by squeezing the rubber hose to create a stronger stream while splashes and aerosolizes everything on the floor for everyone else to inhale

all these grime or 'organic materials' are most likely full of nutrients to incubate stuff on, and you probably cant create a more perfect environment to grow bacteria or virus that's targeting the mixtures of all those species

you can get stuff fairly cheap from those markets though especially if you are good at haggling

And yet, China is reopening those markets as we speak because they're all "cured now".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

quote:

A long video but worth listening to the end. You would be able to understand better that your IMMUNO HEALTH is more important than the coming of vaccines and mandated medicine. You'd also get to know how much we have been lied. Good luck, human!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSF8XDN3rMA

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Welp my mom who is a nurse with Immunodeficiency just got moved to the covid unit :( she had a n95 mask but was told they aren't supposed to have those and someone then stole it. They are only allowed one paper mask a day :(

DrGreatJob
Oct 3, 2006

we fuck each other very well and we have a lot of energy from eating plantfoods
I would like an explanation as to why one couldn't wear protective equipment of their own when the hospitals aren't capable of providing adequate supplies.

Also, stealing somebody else's mask seems really loving stupid, considering you don't know if that person was ill or not. "Better put this potential surface with viruses right up to my loving mouth, oh and also I might be a medical professional."

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Harminoff posted:

Welp my mom who is a nurse with Immunodeficiency just got moved to the covid unit :( she had a n95 mask but was told they aren't supposed to have those and someone then stole it. They are only allowed one paper mask a day :(

What the gently caress this is attempted murder.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

DrGreatJob posted:

I would like an explanation as to why one couldn't wear protective equipment of their own when the hospitals aren't capable of providing adequate supplies.

FWIW the Joint Commission has specifically endorsed and allowed the practice you describe (healthcare workers bringing their own equipment). Hospital administrators absolutely hate it because it disrupts the impressions that hospitals are safe places (lol, they aren't) and that everything is normal (lol, it's not).

Hospital administrators have tried to insist HCWs not wear their own equipment while not providing equipment sufficient to protect them and the calculation is absolutely monstrous.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Harminoff posted:

Healthcare workers should work to rule on ppe

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

I watched the first 10 minutes of this and it was literally just him trying to defend his argument that he was actually the true "inventor of email". At best he improved on Ray Tomlinson's invention in 1971 and was the first to call it EMAIL. But whatever, no one cares about that bullshit right now. It's infuriating that they wasted so much time on that. I skipped ahead and it sounds like all he's saying is "take vitamins it will reduce your chances of getting sick". Well duh. How long before he claims to be the inventor of vitamins?

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Apr 4, 2020

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Harminoff posted:

I'd quit on the spot

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

Harminoff posted:

"Hello I don't want to die, so I quit. gently caress you."

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Harminoff posted:

Please tell us your family isn't going to let them get away with this, that is literal murder. :(

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

I just ended up making a pretty scary graph.

The red lines are sars, you can tell how long it took for things to end by how they converged. And you can also see that the end result of the mortality number ended up roughly middling for them from the halfway point.

The green lines are covid. Note how they're doing the opposite of converging. Also how their middling is a good bit above sars.

Also, in re the earlier "i'm healed" and "get sick twice" talk ... the virus can hang out in your lungs for 3 weeks after you go asymptomatic. Unless you've been strongly tested, do absolutely NOT assume things are over because you're feeling better.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

I wonder how long a law comes that includes healthcare workers with police and the army as people who cannot refuse their work based on safety

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Mithaldu posted:

I just ended up making a pretty scary graph.

The red lines are sars, you can tell how long it took for things to end by how they converged. And you can also see that the end result of the mortality number ended up roughly middling for them from the halfway point.

The green lines are covid. Note how they're doing the opposite of converging. Also how their middling is a good bit above sars.

Also, in re the earlier "i'm healed" and "get sick twice" talk ... the virus can hang out in your lungs for 3 weeks after you go asymptomatic. Unless you've been strongly tested, do absolutely NOT assume things are over because you're feeling better.

The biggest hotspot isn't testing anyone but the sickest cases and is growing exponentially

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Clearly we just need to use our immense prison population and force them into nurse type jobs, for free, for the benefit of the nation. The war on drugs has supplied our beautiful prisons with plenty of people who know their way around a needle and isn't that all you need to know to be a nurse? It's not like a real job like head of marketing or computer toucher, they don't even make six figgies :shrug:

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Harminoff posted:

Call your loving newspaper and/or TV station and start giving names. Everyone who supervises your mother and everyone who supervises her supervisors.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

shovelbum posted:

The biggest hotspot isn't testing anyone but the sickest cases and is growing exponentially

Oh right, yeah, i could probably just double the case counts and still be roughly accurate. :negative:

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Mithaldu posted:

Oh right, yeah, i could probably just double the case counts and still be roughly accurate. :negative:

Well I mean the silver lining if there is any is that the stats overstate the severity of the disease by only showing cases at all that are already way down the bad road

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

I just made the face your avatar makes.

Yeah, that's true.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Chief McHeath posted:

Call your loving newspaper and/or TV station and start giving names. Everyone who supervises your mother and everyone who supervises her supervisors.

That may not workout the way you'd hope

The response will likely be a large amount of "nurses know what they signed up for get to work" and "why is an immunocompromised person allowed to be a nurse"

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Harminoff posted:

Sorry to hear this, goon. Dr. Michael Osterholm did say on this podcast that the data from China/Italy don't seem to indicate that the immunosuppressed are doing worse. I hope that holds up and I hope that your mom's okay.

My mom's an infection control nurse (the only one in her hospital, lol) and is also immunsuppressed. They've been giving her the run-around about working from home (she only does computer work), but her health isn't great in general and neither is my dad's, so I gotta have a talk with her today. She can tell them to go gently caress themselves if she wants because they literally have no one to replace her. I admire that she won't, but I also don't want her to risk her & my dad's lives over this.

In related "frontline workers not getting PPE" news, the Detroit bus driver who called out a passenger for coughing multiple times without covering her mouth has died from - you guessed it - COVID-19. I'm becoming increasingly numbed by all the bad news, but this story really got to me.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Chief McHeath posted:

She's not local, she's on the other side of the country from me in Virginia. She's a traveling nurse so just goes to where she is assigned and just arrived there a couple weeks ago. She is currently on humira as she has really bad psoriasis ( her legs just look like a bunch of scabs)

I don't really know what options she has as her and her husband don't really have a home or anything. Housing is part of the package you get with the job.

Winnie the Shit
Dec 25, 2005

the cat came back

Harminoff posted:

at my job you can go to employee health and let them know about your condition(s) so you won't have to care for covid pts. then again we still have PPE available. I'd quit if I were her :(

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Sorry if this sounds insensitive or ignorant, but tbh I'm kind of surprised that working as a nurse/doctor is even an option if you have immune system complications. Aren't you kind of just waiting for the inevitable to happen, even outside of pandemic situations? Like am I really not getting something here or is that basically like having someone with a serious bee allergy work as a beekeeper?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
just got back from my first grocery run in - three weeks? four weeks? i could have held out longer but i'm getting a little concerned that there just won't be as much on the shelves in a little while. the supermarket had gloves by the entrance and a sign saying everyone had to wear them inside, as well as disinfectant wipes to clean off the cart. i was masked up - glad i had an extra couple p95s around from mixing dirt - and while we weren't the majority there were enough others in masks that i didn't feel out of place. rather busy but not overly so and everyone was pretty quiet. some staples are already gone and others were getting low - beans and rice, flour, mayo - but i got everything i needed. they had put up plexiglass in front of the cashiers, who seemed to be making an effort to be cheerful. i was glad to see everyone taking this seriously, just hope it's enough. this is in central VT.

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

Noblesse Obliged posted:

I wonder how long a law comes that includes healthcare workers with police and the army as people who cannot refuse their work based on safety

Already in the works. I saw a post on /r/neutralpolitics about applying selective service to healthcare workers, as well. You will work-- for the glory of the Empire.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Harminoff posted:

That is completely hosed, I would walk off the job over that one, personally.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Noblesse Obliged posted:

We (not USA btw) already have that but it requires the government to declare "heightened preparedness measurements", which is PC talk for "we decide which civil rights still exist from now on".

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

How are people not getting groceries for weeks at a time? Do you not eat fresh fruit and vegetables?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
root vegetables last a while. apples too, and clementines. canned tomatoes are a thing. and no, nobody's ever accused me of eating too many veggies

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Rutibex posted:

so i got an advertisement email from the local movie theater chain. i was a bit confused why a theater would be advertising to me now, so i actually read it. turns they are having their employees come in so they can sell movie theater popcorn and nachos for delivery. thats right you too can now pay $25 (plus delivery fee and tip) for a bag of pop corn delivered right to your door!

Interesting. Can I get 5 pumps of "buttery blend topping" delivered as well?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Akuma posted:

How are people not getting groceries for weeks at a time? Do you not eat fresh fruit and vegetables?

Fruit Muesli

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Akuma posted:

Our grocery shopping for the last few weeks has been just restocking fruits and vegetables. We have them delivered to our house.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Chomp8645 posted:

Sorry if this sounds insensitive or ignorant, but tbh I'm kind of surprised that working as a nurse/doctor is even an option if you have immune system complications. Aren't you kind of just waiting for the inevitable to happen, even outside of pandemic situations? Like am I really not getting something here or is that basically like having someone with a serious bee allergy work as a beekeeper?

Well, it's not like the employers can discriminate against someone and not hire them, or fire them for developing a condition that makes them immunocompromised. They may have been working for some time before becoming immunocompromised and just don't want to or don't know of other ways to use their training.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Akuma posted:

For what it's worth, I've heard it said that frozen vegetables can actually have more of their nutrients intact than fresh vegetables (on account of being frozen right after harvest).

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Substituting frozen veggies for fresh is pretty easy and honestly like one of the least impactful sacrifices people can make.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Also frozen vegetables exist.

Supposedly. On last week's grocery run the entire freezer vegetable section stock was one (1) bag of okra.

drat, I guess I type slow.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3Mc0ChHhlk

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Also frozen vegetables exist.

Supposedly. On last week's grocery run the entire freezer vegetable section stock was one (1) bag of okra.

drat, I guess I type slow.

I personally like okra but one of my big takeaways from this crisis is that people hate okra to the point that they would rather starve than eat it. and pineapple pizza too (which I also like)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

schmug
May 20, 2007

Akuma posted:

There may come a time when buying fresh fruit and vegetables every couple days may not be a very good idea. That time is now, genius.