Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Jippa posted:

Anyone been out today? I was expecting loads of people but it was very quiet. No real queue at the supermarket.

Yes just went for my Government Walk, 1 hour over the fields. I expected them to be rammed but only a handful of people about. Had to walk up through the high street to get to the fields, but not many people around. Still a bunch of numpties who won't give way on narrow pavements though (by which I mean they could easily duck into a shop doorway which they are walking right past when I have nothing but a big shop window to one side and the road to the other).

Mind you, the weather has not been as good as it was being made out it was going to be. Quite overcast really.

Did not go in any shop.

Page snipe:

Genome-wide association analyses identify 44 risk variants and refine the genetic architecture of major depression

quote:

Genome-wide association analyses identify 44 risk variants and refine the genetic architecture of major depression
Naomi R. Wray, Stephan Ripke, […]the Major Depressive Disorder Working Group of the Psychiatric Genomics Consortium
Nature Genetics volume 50, pages668–681(2018)Cite this article

16k Accesses

406 Citations

1342 Altmetric

Metricsdetails

Abstract
Major depressive disorder (MDD) is a common illness accompanied by considerable morbidity, mortality, costs, and heightened risk of suicide. We conducted a genome-wide association meta-analysis based in 135,458 cases and 344,901 controls and identified 44 independent and significant loci. The genetic findings were associated with clinical features of major depression and implicated brain regions exhibiting anatomical differences in cases. Targets of antidepressant medications and genes involved in gene splicing were enriched for smaller association signal. We found important relationships of genetic risk for major depression with educational attainment, body mass, and schizophrenia: lower educational attainment and higher body mass were putatively causal, whereas major depression and schizophrenia reflected a partly shared biological etiology. All humans carry lesser or greater numbers of genetic risk factors for major depression. These findings help refine the basis of major depression and imply that a continuous measure of risk underlies the clinical phenotype.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Apr 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

communism bitch posted:

Dunno poo poo about what the dude's saying, but interesting:

https://twitter.com/andrewflood/status/1246063815508348928

I think he's right, asymptomatic people testing positive doesn't mean that they will stay asymptomatic. But it's unclear what proportion of people have asymptomatic but contagious infections, because there isn't enough testing happening.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Jippa posted:

Anyone been out today? I was expecting loads of people but it was very quiet. No real queue at the supermarket.

There's definitely more traffic going past my house today in a touristy area of North Wales. I've heard anecdotally that quite a few people sneaked up here with camper vans and to holiday homes last night, and that quite a few non-locals have been spotted in the local supermarkets complaining that there's no bbq supplies on the shelves.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Jippa posted:

Nah, been at home all day. Started playing pathologic 2.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
The closest figures to the cutoff date for joining the party and being able to vote in this election show the party at roughly 510k members. There were 490k votes. The gap between Starmer and RLB was 140k, and in the highly unlikely situation that each of Nandy's votes would have flipped RLB, that'd only take the distance down to 60k.

I don't see how people abstaining from this vote has played any part in it at all. You'd need to net a lot of abstaining potential RLB members to cross that chasm and there's no evidence of the party even being that large let alone that any abstention was so uniformly from the RLB camp.

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Apr 4, 2020

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

It wasn't just opposing corbyn, it was opposing everyone who worked in that campaign. They were all struggling to undo the damage people like him did. Do you not think that is alienating to just pretend you were on the right side all along? Do you not think that is reflected in the massive number of people who didn't even bother to vote in the leadership election?

If he can't even do that how am I supposed to take his "oh we're all in this together" platitudes seriously? We clearly aren't.

Honestly, I'm sick of infighting. I'm more than happy to wipe the slate clean for Starmer and give him a fair shot.

Would I have said the same about Watson or Benn or someone I saw as a wrecker rather than a flake? Probably not, but there you go.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
I'm just tired from 5 years of seeing so much poo poo flung relentlessly at Corbyn from all directions. I don't think many individuals would have had the mettle to see it out and I would not have believed without seeing this time play out just how hopelessly rigged our entire society is towards keeping the left away from power. I suppose that's something

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Jippa posted:

Yeah about 2 hours ago, fairly busy up on the High st (East Finchley), shops were alright. Hell of a lot of people up & down my street too, at least people are still distancing.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I can't say I'm enormously impressed with political positions based entirely around satisfying your own weird emotional hangups but I guess they are inevitable.

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday
I have been self-isolating since Friday after showing symptoms and I think I'm out of it (except for being unable to taste or smell anything), I don't have a temperature atm and I have not left my room other than to cook.

Will I be patient zero for the tory hellhole where I live if I go to the shops on Sunday or work on Monday?

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
Honestly there were worse people on the slate, yeah it's not great but it's more the inevitability of him winning that's depressing me right now. Like yay we voted for the "elEctAblE" candidate and where did all these dogs come from when I said that out loud.

The trans pledge thing, eh, I hated that he seemed to be hedging there but I don't get the sense that he's gonna both-sides it after a GE win, assuming we get one. If he does, then yeah, that's a card-burning offense obviously. It was a good reason for me to not vote for him personally, but now he's the leader I mean what am I gonna do?

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Jippa posted:

Pretty busy at West Ham Park. A whole group of people playing footy and stuff.
It's loving beautiful out in east London at the mo.

zentigeist posted:

I have been self-isolating since Friday after showing symptoms and I think I'm out of it (except for being unable to taste or smell anything), I don't have a temperature atm and I have not left my room other than to cook.

Will I be patient zero for the tory hellhole where I live if I go to the shops on Sunday or work on Monday?
Guidance is to stay home for at least 7 days after symptoms subside I thought?

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
:(
https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1246441925659541505?s=20

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Azza Bamboo posted:

The closest figures to the cutoff date for joining the party and being able to vote in this election show the party at roughly 510k members. There were 490k votes. The gap between Starmer and RLB was 140k, and in the highly unlikely situation that each of Nandy's votes would have flipped RLB, that'd only take the distance down to 60k.

I don't see how people abstaining from this vote has played any part in it at all. You'd need to net a lot of abstaining potential RLB members to cross that chasm and there's no evidence of the party even being that large let alone that any abstention was so uniformly from the RLB camp.

Look at the actual results, there were 552k members and 217k affliated potential votes, nearly 300k people didn't vote. Obviously not going to be uniformly leftwing but DNV got a larger vote share than any of the candidates which didn't happen in the earlier leadership elections with Corbyn.

Doesn't mean the left didn't show up but it shows that generally the electorate wasn't happy with the candidates on offer.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Emily Thornberry currently talking up Starmer because "he's good, he's competent, and he won't over-promise"

Wow so inspiring

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
"He won't over promise, so I'm not expecting any big position just something like Wales minister please? EFRA maybe? Anything."

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

jabby posted:

Honestly, I'm sick of infighting. I'm more than happy to wipe the slate clean for Starmer and give him a fair shot.

Would I have said the same about Watson or Benn or someone I saw as a wrecker rather than a flake? Probably not, but there you go.

Yeah, as much as I think this was the wrong choice I'm willing to give him his chance.
not like theres anything else to do electorally

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday

El Grillo posted:

Guidance is to stay home for at least 7 days after symptoms subside I thought?

Temperature is the main reason to keep isolating it seems, I copied this from the NHS site.

"If you have symptoms of coronavirus, you'll need to self-isolate for 7 days.

After 7 days:

if you do not have a high temperature, you do not need to self-isolate
if you still have a high temperature, keep self-isolating until your temperature returns to normal
You do not need to self-isolate if you just have a cough after 7 days. A cough can last for several weeks after the infection has gone."

I can still cough on people so long as I'm not roasting while doing it.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I wonder if Chuka has dreams of becoming the centrist Dominic Cummings. That's the only godawful explanation I have for his "working with" tweet.

Feb 28, 2007

1️⃣
Just another number.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Does anyone know of a free or nearly-free transcription tool for a video? Downloaded (legitimately) a film in Spanish (which I don't know) and so was wanting to get a transcription of it then turn that to English. I haven't been able to find a subtitles file anywhere on line for it.
This is the film in case anyone has any secret sources of subtitles!

El Enigma Agustina:

https://vimeo.com/398888489

Here you go: English .srt subtitles for El Enigma Agustina.

(My secret source was the page you linked! If you're happy to watch it on the Vimeo site, they've also got the subtitles available through the CC button in the bottom-right of the Vimeo video player.)

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

namesake posted:

Look at the actual results, there were 552k members and 217k affliated potential votes, nearly 300k people didn't vote. Obviously not going to be uniformly leftwing but DNV got a larger vote share than any of the candidates which didn't happen in the earlier leadership elections with Corbyn.

Doesn't mean the left didn't show up but it shows that generally the electorate wasn't happy with the candidates on offer.

Is there a way of looking at how the voting splits among the membership and affiliated membership? It'd be interesting to see how the unions change over time and how the other orgs change.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

People saying stuff like "Complaining things aren't fair isn't going to get you anywhere!" or whatever are missing the point.

Somebody else, I think it was Communist Thoughts, said that RLB and Sir Haircut are both the Tories' dream opponents in different ways, and they're right, but only because the Tories own the press. Literally whatever leader Labour have doesn't even matter. It could be the second coming of Jesus and the press would still monster them. RLB wouldn't be a bad leader, I think she'd be quite good. Starmer probably won't be a bad leader as such, but I don't think he'll inspire people. In another country like Canada where the Overton window is a razor-thin slit focused on Liberalism, they'd probably loving love him. He's smart, he's centrist, he has a haircut. But both will/would get hosed by the British papers.

That things aren't fair, that things are so nakedly, brazenly hosed up, with people just doing disaster capitalism and other extremely dodgy poo poo and it all just being normalised and in the open is far more important than who the Labour leader is.

So I don't know what the path forward is, I can't offer any solutions, but really I think Labour is no more hosed in terms of electoral chances with Starmer than it would have been with RLB, just in a different way. Not saying that I wouldn't have VASTLY preferred RLB to win for a whole host of reasons, just that I don't think Labour is ever going to get anywhere near power until the right wing papers die off.

Still going to stay a member for now, though.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Azza Bamboo posted:

Is there a way of looking at how the voting splits among the membership and affiliated membership? It'd be interesting to see how the unions change over time and how the other orgs change.

Yeah they're on the wiki pages:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_Labour_Party_leadership_election

just check results.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jippa posted:

Exact opposite for me, even the little Co-op that's normally empty (of customers *and* stock) had a 20+ queue outside.

Luckily the little Turkish supermarket had no queue and everything I needed, which prompts a small tale of my life.

Because of the sunshine I realised how filthy my windows were (thanks all the building sites that are still loving open) so I picked up some kitchen roll and a bottle of window cleaner. Did all the windows, got to the spare room last. On the windowsill in the spare room? An almost-full bottle of window cleaner and a kitchen roll from the last time I did the windows. Next to them? *Another* bottle of window cleaner from the time before that.

And yet they let people like me drive, vote and breed (that last purely theoretical, of course).

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

1 posted:

Here you go: English .srt subtitles for El Enigma Agustina.

(My secret source was the page you linked! If you're happy to watch it on the Vimeo site, they've also got the subtitles available through the CC button in the bottom-right of the Vimeo video player.)

I did not see that at all! In fact, I still don't see it! Can you give me a clue as to where you found them? (For future reference!)

I downloaded it so I can watch on my tv via HDMI. I haven't found a way to watch vimeo on my tv directly (I can watch youtube on it).

Ed: I've been remarkably dim - don't mind me. Found them now.

Ed2: And now I've just found a Vimeo app for my Roku (but can't view subtitles on it). I blame something or other for being a thickwad today.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Apr 4, 2020

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Josef bugman posted:

Nah, been at home all day. Started playing pathologic 2.

Avoiding the clouds of plague gas in that game is very good practice for dodging elderly dog walkers in real life too!

Keeping your friends and family alive to the end is best achieved by not visiting them regularly however.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Exact opposite for me, even the little Co-op that's normally empty (of customers *and* stock) had a 20+ queue outside.

Luckily the little Turkish supermarket had no queue and everything I needed, which prompts a small tale of my life.

Because of the sunshine I realised how filthy my windows were (thanks all the building sites that are still loving open) so I picked up some kitchen roll and a bottle of window cleaner. Did all the windows, got to the spare room last. On the windowsill in the spare room? An almost-full bottle of window cleaner and a kitchen roll from the last time I did the windows. Next to them? *Another* bottle of window cleaner from the time before that.

And yet they let people like me drive, vote and breed (that last purely theoretical, of course).

My great aunt was very much against the idea of window cleaner and advocated the use of vinegar and newspapers. Thing is, I never did find out how she actually used those two things to clean the windows

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

crispix posted:

My great aunt was very much against the idea of window cleaner and advocated the use of vinegar and newspapers. Thing is, I never did find out how she actually used those two things to clean the windows

My dad was the same. It's relatively simple, little bit of white vinegar in soapy water, wipe the windows with a cloth soaked in it, then use newspaper to dry it.

There's no magic, bottled window cleaner is just soapy water and white vinegar and the newspaper is just a cheaper alternative to kitchen roll to dry them off. The only reason I don't do it that way is you end up dripping dirty water off the windows onto the sills, the spray bottle is just more convenient and it costs like 2 quid.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Kegluneq posted:

Avoiding the clouds of plague gas in that game is very good practice for dodging elderly dog walkers in real life too!

Keeping your friends and family alive to the end is best achieved by not visiting them regularly however.

I am on the second day and I am already panicking about not getting anything done and not knowing when I have done "enough" please send help.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

I'll make a small contribution to bird chat. They aren't perfectly focused but these were flying overhead this afternoon!

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

In slightly more cheery news, Lorraine Kelly said "Trans Rights":

https://twitter.com/Mermaids_Gender/status/1246475854517096452?s=20

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Prince John posted:

I'll make a small contribution to bird chat. They aren't perfectly focused but these were flying overhead this afternoon!

Hero bird takes off on a mission to banish the moon back to the night, where it belongs.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Communist Thoughts posted:

Yeah, as much as I think this was the wrong choice I'm willing to give him his chance.
not like theres anything else to do electorally

Same, for now. Let's see what his policies are, and/or if there actually is some kind of anti-Momentum purge.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Welp that's about what I expected for tyool quarantine.

I'm hoping there might be some room for a retry before the next election, but I doubt it, we'll have to have him fight one and inevitably lose before we get another crack.

:(

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ronya posted:

Nandy did not do well enough in the vote to still be a plausible challenger, though

Home is the ideal place to slot a potential left-wing rebel because any Labour Home sec is obliged to run Toryward all the time, whilst at the same time certain influential leftie factions can become positively hysterical about these issues
What's toryward in this context?

Blunkett was an outright fascist at a time when David Davis was acting like the voice of reason. I hope Starmer doesn't pick an authoritarian dickhead, because that was the worst part of the last Labour government and the best thing about Corbyn.

crispix posted:

That's a waste of food vinegar.

The vinegar in window cleaner (and cheap chippies) is an industrial vinegar made from methanol or petroleum products, whereas condiment vinegar is brewed, so it's a lot more energy and labor intensive.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Prince John posted:

Great shots!

We never really got red kites down in the southwest, so I'm always excited to see them when I'm around Wales/Midlands way

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

The vinegar in window cleaner (and cheap chippies) is an industrial vinegar made from methanol or petroleum products, whereas condiment vinegar is brewed, so it's a lot more energy and labor intensive.

Almost all food vinegar is just that stuff with some brown colouring in it (non-brewed condiment). White vinegar is still cheaper though because it doesn't have to be food-grade. Hell even most brewed condiment is industrially-extracted acetic acid + colouring, it's just they get the acetic acid from... I can't remember what they call the stuff strained out in brewing, but that stuff.

If anything the "proper" brewed vinegars are actually a waste of perfectly good booze, because they'll deliberately let wine or cider go off just so they can bandy around words like "artisinal".

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Apr 4, 2020

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Brewed ants

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Jel Shaker posted:

Brewed ants

Brants

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Guavanaut posted:

She died in 2004 mate