Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Bill is going to draft a QB in the 7th this time, tell him his name is Tony Romo 2 now, only he's going to make him win a Super Bowl. To gently caress with everyone and especially Tony just cause he can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
the dolphins have been known to pass up a major quarterback prospect before

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2884704-matt-millers-scouting-notebook-latest-2020-draft-rumors-for-every-nfl-team

quote:

Dolphins fans might want to begin thinking about life without Tua Tagovailoa as their quarterback after months of "Tank for Tua" talk. I'm told by multiple league sources that the Dolphins aren't convinced Tua is the best option and could instead target Oregon's Justin Herbert. The situation is fluid, but the buzz around the league is that Herbert has the most fans in the Dolphins' draft room.

lol

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Ooofa. If Tua is on the board and they take Herb... :negative:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Oregon QBs are can’t miss

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Smoke screen

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Yeah. All the rumours are about everyone but Tua to the Dolphins.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I would not consider Matt Miller a reliable source.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Oregon QBs are can’t miss

This is a really dumb narrative

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Eifert Posting posted:

Ooofa. If Tua is on the board and they take Herb... :negative:

tedginndraftpart2.gif

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

a neat cape posted:

This is a really dumb narrative

Counterpoint: gently caress oregon

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

EmbryoSteve posted:

Counterpoint: gently caress oregon

I meant in general. X player from this school was bad therefore every player at his position from this school is bad forever

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
True except for WVU WRs who are universally system WRs that were never taught how to play the game

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I think Justin Herbert could be fine, eventually. If Josh Allen, Drew Lock and Daniel Jones can more or less succeed I don't see why Herbert couldn't as well. There's also a chance he's sort of a diamond in the rough as it were because of the really really dumb system they had him running at Oregon.

I like Tua better, don't get me wrong, but some teams probably don't like his height, his injury history and the fact that he throws left handed (which actually needs to be taken into account more than you might think). I think Herbert on the Dolphins could be pretty rad, playing Josh Allen twice every year would be pretty funny

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Play posted:

I think Justin Herbert could be fine, eventually. If Josh Allen, Drew Lock and Daniel Jones can more or less succeed I don't see why Herbert couldn't as well. There's also a chance he's sort of a diamond in the rough as it were because of the really really dumb system they had him running at Oregon.

I like Tua better, don't get me wrong, but some teams probably don't like his height, his injury history and the fact that he throws left handed (which actually needs to be taken into account more than you might think). I think Herbert on the Dolphins could be pretty rad, playing Josh Allen twice every year would be pretty funny

Those guys all suck rear end

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

I’ve heard the same about Tua, they apparently are just super concerned and the quote was the same thing we’ve said “he’s never finished a season healthy. Biggest red flag you can have”

But my guy says up and down Herbert stuff is made up. Theyre shooting out smoke screens. I honestly think they’re trying to get someone to jump them and let one of the top players fall. I really feel like 5 wont be a QB

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Ehud posted:

well.... kinda

good enough not to be busts in their first year anyways. I thought they'd be worse which is why I think Herbert has a chance. but you're right Herbert isn't gonna tear up the league like a Deshaun Watson or a Patrick Mahomes

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ehud posted:

We don't have enough data to know for sure that Drew Lock sucks yet!

I mean I'm sure he does, but I would actually in a non-joking way say the jury's still out on him.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
Idk Ross, there's a number of pretty reliable schools for certain positions. Pretty good chance that if you take a RB from Georgia, Pitt, OSU it's, historically speaking, a good pick. DBs from LSU, OSU, Miami. Olinemen from Iowa, Wisconsin, Alabama. LBs from Penn state, Miami, USC and UCLA. WRs from Clemson, Alabama.

See what I mean?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Amy Pole Her posted:

I’ve heard the same about Tua, they apparently are just super concerned and the quote was the same thing we’ve said “he’s never finished a season healthy. Biggest red flag you can have”

But my guy says up and down Herbert stuff is made up. Theyre shooting out smoke screens. I honestly think they’re trying to get someone to jump them and let one of the top players fall. I really feel like 5 wont be a QB

Ehhh. There's two can't miss players in this draft, Tua in a weird category by himself, and then five or six guys in the "absolute best player at their positions, nailed on day 1 starter" group. Unless they want to finesse the best tackle to drop past Gettleman, I can't see it.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

D-LINK posted:

Idk Ross, there's a number of pretty reliable schools for certain positions. Pretty good chance that if you take a RB from Georgia, Pitt, OSU it's, historically speaking, a good pick. DBs from LSU, OSU, Miami. Olinemen from Iowa, Wisconsin, Alabama. LBs from Penn state, Miami, USC and UCLA. WRs from Clemson, Alabama.

See what I mean?

Correlation isn't causation

You think Sammy Watkins wouldn't be good if he went to *spins wheel* Purdue?

a neat cape fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Apr 4, 2020

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
The NFL is such a what have you done for me lately league that people get insta crowned and insta demonized after one season it's fantastic

Play
Apr 25, 2006

a neat cape posted:

Also, the only thing that could potentially make that true is having the same coaching staff in place at the school that is in charge of recruitment and... coaching. Why would a reputation for producing good players at a certain position stay the same when the coaching staff/scheme changes?

Although there are some where the scheme seems like what's responsible, like Iowa and their O-line/tight ends (I think that's a good example but I'm not totally sure). If a new coach keeps that same scheme it would make sense they would continue developing good players at those positions

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Play posted:

Also, the only thing that could potentially make that true is having the same coaching staff in place at the school that is in charge of recruitment and... coaching. Why would a reputation for producing good players at a certain position stay the same when the coaching staff/scheme changes?

Although there are some where the scheme seems like what's responsible, like Iowa and their O-line/tight ends (I think that's a good example but I'm not totally sure). If a new coach keeps that same scheme it would make sense they would continue developing good players at those positions

I was holding fast to the Old Ways with my "Big 12 QBs are always garbage in the NFL" take and it served me well for a long time.

Now Mahomes is here.

The old ways are dead

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

a neat cape posted:

Why would Sammy Watkins go to Purdue, or any top WR prospect go there for that matter? It's silly to ignore that some schools have a history of producing NFL talent at certain positions. Oregon has produced which successful NFL QB? Mariota?

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

a neat cape posted:

Those are kinda two different arguments.

Dlink is saying that if you take the best players from the schools that are pulling in the best players, you're more likely to succeed.

You're saying that good players do also go elsewhere and can be just as successful, which is also true.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

D-LINK posted:

Why would Sammy Watkins go to Purdue, or any top WR prospect go there for that matter? It's silly to ignore that some schools have a history of producing NFL talent at certain positions. Oregon has produced which successful NFL QB? Mariota?

thats Raiders legend Marcus Mariota to you

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

D-LINK posted:

Why would Sammy Watkins go to Purdue, or any top WR prospect go there for that matter?

He was hurt most of last year but they've got a pretty good one now don't they? Rondale Moore about single handedly beat Ohio State his freshman year.

e: It just hit me that if there should happen to be no football this year the 2021 draft is going to be a whole hell of a lot of guesswork on everyone's part.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
I would say QB doesn't apply to this argument because there's such a small sample size. Schools like Clemson, LSU, Bama can have 2 or 3 great receivers every year, and there's a lot more turnover at that position, whereas if you get a good qb, he's going to be your only starter for 3 or 4 years.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

D-LINK posted:

Completely different coaching staffs and systems for Mariota, Harrington, and Herbert.

To just give a blanket statement that Herbert is going to be bad because 'Oregon QB' is stupid

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY
the best quarterback of all time went to TCU so all of your arguments are invalid

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

a patagonian cavy posted:

the best quarterback of all time went to TCU so all of your arguments are invalid

Sammy Baugh is not the best QB of all time shut up cavy

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

a neat cape posted:

Sammy Baugh is not the best QB of all time shut up cavy

That’s not who I’m talking about!!!!!!!

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

tarbrush posted:

Ehhh. There's two can't miss players in this draft, Tua in a weird category by himself, and then five or six guys in the "absolute best player at their positions, nailed on day 1 starter" group. Unless they want to finesse the best tackle to drop past Gettleman, I can't see it.

There’s no truth to Herbert bud. Period.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

a neat cape posted:

Completely different coaching staffs and systems for Mariota, Harrington, and Herbert.

To just give a blanket statement that Herbert is going to be bad because 'Oregon QB' is stupid

Still, answer to the point that some schools are better than others at producing NFL talent at specific positions across eras and coaching staffs. You haven't so far

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

D-LINK posted:

Still, answer to the point that some schools are better than others at producing NFL talent at specific positions across eras and coaching staffs. You haven't so far

I'm not disagreeing. It's also not the argument I was making.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Here i thought Miami was trading up to 1?!

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

D-LINK posted:

When a pass rusher leaves high school and goes to Texas A&M he gets an automatic +7 to swim move, +3 to bullrush, and +4 to strength. He also gets a -10 to morality and a +5 to locker room cancer.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Amy Pole Her posted:

There’s no truth to Herbert bud. Period.

I'll take your word for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

tarbrush posted:

I'll take your word for it.

If he tells me any different soon my denial will kick in so YMMV