Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/jptormey/status/1246116571518566401

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Wow. I have a feeling we may see other trade unions start to follow suit.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

mr.belowaverage posted:

The guy I use for HVAC work and repairs tells me he is too busy to run a gas line for me. Normally he will fit in small jobs whenever I need, and has dropped off parts in person so I can do installs myself. He says he has tons of repair and no-water or no-heat calls. Maybe increased demand is taxing systems, and necessitating repairs?

There's some businesses that are taking advantage of empty offices to move up some infrastructure repairs too. I have an HVAC friend who has been getting calls from businesses who were planning on doing some demo and replace work over the winter holidays who are doing it now instead.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

FCKGW posted:

There's some businesses that are taking advantage of empty offices to move up some infrastructure repairs too. I have an HVAC friend who has been getting calls from businesses who were planning on doing some demo and replace work over the winter holidays who are doing it now instead.

That people can do stuff on straight time during the day instead of the OT rates these sorts of jobs would cost is stirring up a lot of work for now. Property management companies are not getting rent from like 40-80% of their commercial tenants so they are desperate to save money anywhere they can to help with budgets. Plus, lots of places are running minimal shifts but don't want to end up under-staffed after the worst passes, or have clients want to reduce fees for reduced services so saving people money right now is a big priority.

It's a little counter-intuitive, but most of the kind of work happening now would have to happen anyway, so doing it as cheap as possible does make sense. We might see stuff quiet down if cashflow or lending starts to be a problem...

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

FCKGW posted:

Makes sense. My town is doing some kind of drainage/curb replacement/sidewalk installation project that runs right past the middle school, and they've got the main entrance for it completely torn up and inaccessible. With no buses coming in, the entrance on the side road is fine for the few people maintaining the place and doing pickups and dropoffs of whatever supplies and paperwork.

And there are a handful of businesses that also have their main (or only) entrances disrupted, but several are closed entirely and the others aren't seeing much traffic, so a more or less flattened pile of gravel seems to be sufficient right now.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

It's interesting the way that organizations are reacting to the pandemic. In NZ the government announced the lockdown and the vast majority of people complied voluntarily. You'd need black market materials and services to build a non essential building here because most of the supply chain is shut down.

In the US the upper levels of governnment were in denial so eventually random lower levels took actions and now you see NGOs like the trade union above taking action where they feel the precautions haven't been adequate.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If we had enough loving PPE, it would be easier to justify keeping construction going.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Oh god right. I'll be building a closet and hanging drywall soon... Not looking forward to breathing drywall. Guess I'll just 'cornholio' a t shirt.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Platystemon posted:

If we had enough loving PPE, it would be easier to justify keeping construction going.

Its not so bad now, but wearing a mask in the summer REALLY fuckin sucks.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

wesleywillis posted:

Once a year we have to empty some chemical tanks and shovel out the accumulated lead on the bottom of the tank. It's full face masks, acid gas respirators, PVC coated Tyvek suits, double gloves, PVC boots. It sucks rear end so incredibly bad. After my first time doing it I thought my suit leaked until I realized my boots were filled with my own sweat as it had nowhere else to go.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Yooper posted:

my boots were filled with my own sweat as it had nowhere else to go.

:eyepoop:
Holy poo poo. Could they schedule that for winter* or something?

*If you're in a hot climate I guess that might not make a difference.

I've been pretty lucky, I've had to wear Nomex and respirators before a bunch of times, and only once Tyvek with all that poo poo, but the majority of those times have been from like Late October - April or so.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

wesleywillis posted:

:eyepoop:
Holy poo poo. Could they schedule that for winter* or something?

*If you're in a hot climate I guess that might not make a difference.

I've been pretty lucky, I've had to wear Nomex and respirators before a bunch of times, and only once Tyvek with all that poo poo, but the majority of those times have been from like Late October - April or so.

It is worse in winter if my military training exercises are anything to go by.

All the sweat still drips down then starts cooling rapidly.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

:gonk:
I'd have gladly shoveled poo poo instead of this.
e: assuming favourable weather of course.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

“I think it turned out great! Unfortunately, I had to take the picture using flash since for some reason the lights went out when I plugged it in. Weird timing, huh?”

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j59BM6bOeUs

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Wasabi the J posted:

It is worse in winter if my military training exercises are anything to go by.

All the sweat still drips down then starts cooling rapidly.

Yah, pretty much that. Plus the tanker has to park outside, in the snow, and the liquid could freeze in the suction pipe.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Just hang the cable on the charger, it's already sticking out!

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

This is officially the worst thing I've seen all day. It has to be a joke. That circuit is definitely not live. It's just there for internet shock factor.

I keep telling myself.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Warmachine posted:

This is officially the worst thing I've seen all day. It has to be a joke. That circuit is definitely not live. It's just there for internet shock factor.

I keep telling myself.

the sockets might be linked to the switches by a moron who certainly never will accidently leave it on by mistake, no siree.
We've seen worse ITT.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Warmachine posted:

This is officially the worst thing I've seen all day. It has to be a joke.

No, it's art and art is serious.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Something to look forward to

https://twitter.com/mcmansionhell/status/1246839959241273346

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

wesleywillis posted:

Years and years ago, a college-age Humbug had the summer job of bead blasting the inside of milk tank cars. This required a hoodie, canvas work trousers, positive pressure air mask, heavy gloves, everything taped down (gloves to hoodie sleeves, boots to trouser cuffs, mask to hoodie ), and full ear protection. I had to crawl into rail tank cars, dragging the bead blaster and two air lines, and spray down the walls to remove any particulates before the tank could be flushed then steam sterilized. That included dragging all this poo poo under and past the anti-surge baffles in the car, all for the princely fee of $3.15/hr (minimum wage in the early '80s in Wisconsin). poo poo sucked, but I needed the money.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Oh very Avant garde, so abstract.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
M.C. Escher's greenhouse framework

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
I've seen MUCH worse. I'd allow that for a temporary cold frame.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Unknown artist
Load-Bearing Optimism, 2020
Non-Euclidean mixed media
48” x 48” x 36i”

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Apr 6, 2020

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Reminds me of that guy on a motorcycle forum that took pics of his landlords shed

Where he did poo poo like hammer in screws

Oh nice lol it can still be found

https://www.bcsportbikes.com/threads/build-to-fail-fail-to-build-what-is-this-i-dont-even.146566/?id=146566

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

moist turtleneck posted:

Reminds me of that guy on a motorcycle forum that took pics of his landlords shed

Where he did poo poo like hammer in screws

Oh nice lol it can still be found

https://www.bcsportbikes.com/threads/build-to-fail-fail-to-build-what-is-this-i-dont-even.146566/?id=146566

Did we ever get a post-mortem on this now it’s been a few years the better part of a decade?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Bad Munki posted:

Did we ever get a post-mortem on this now it’s been a few years the better part of a decade?
I'm not sure I'd say it was the better part of the decade.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

tater_salad posted:

Oh very Avant garde, so abstract.

Cmon, avant garden was right there.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Icon Of Sin posted:

Cmon, avant garden was right there.

It was built by Courtney Barnett.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

It was posted in /r/gardening and the creator intended for it to be a sort of lattice for the plants. I wonder if it would last a season

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I make crappy trellises out of sticks and twine and I'm pretty sure they're sturdier than whatever that is.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

titty_baby_ posted:

It was posted in /r/gardening and the creator intended for it to be a sort of lattice for the plants. I wonder if it would last a season

The plywood sides won't last.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

nielsm posted:

The plywood sides won't last.

But they put plastic sheet between the damp soil and the side boards!

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Plywood stands up to moisute pretty well, a lot better than OSB. And it looks like someone repurposed a shipping crate so it's not like a lot of value is lost. It'll make it through the season at least.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
If the verticals are buried to the bottom of that thing, it'll hold up what it needs to hold up.

Until it rots, anyway, but it should be fine for a harvest of whatever food plant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

yeah spring-summer-fall just to be a trellis to hold up some beans, it'll do fine and isn't any worse than the lovely cheap trellises they sell at home depot for exactly the same purpose. I made something similar with one of those home depot ones attached to some pieces of bamboo I cut (the bamboo that is spreading from my neighbor's yard into mine under our shared fence, yay) last year, and it's still there having lasted fine through the winter. Probably will hold up another year.