Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Kinetic Tools posted:

Open the Rimatomic panel and make sure the project is actually started. That hung me up too for a bit, easy to forget that's how the mod does it after a while.

Huh, that appears to have been it. Looked like it was working that way anyway. Bizarre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

isndl posted:

What's your map temperature like? When the storyteller decides it's raid time and it's outside the comfortable zone it ends up with mechs since they can go anywhere.

Yeah, this could be it. The map's a cold desert, so it's a frozen hellscape for nearly half a year with -28C temperatures. Caravans that drop in oftentimes end up leaving after a minute or two because of "dangerous temperatures".

I played it as sort of a "challenge" map, but after the initial tribal start-up which actually was challenging in that I had to make choices like needing to ration wood for cooking and selling off bonded animals to buy food and only barely scraping by through the first two winters it actually got really boring. Also practically the only wildlife that would come by were a couple emus and iguanas, and gently caress emus.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
That’s the unfortunate reality of extremely hot/cold maps: it’s only extra challenging at the start. By mid game it’s just extra annoying.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Hot maps are harder because you don't get that sweet sweet free refrigerator effect.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Pharnakes posted:

One the one hand I like that the colonists are "grounded" in the universe as a whole, on the other hand grandpa of some spacers who crashed here 5 minutes ago after a presumed journey of many years turning out to have been here all along as a tribal is really loving stupid.

Does this mod manage to tread a middle line here or does it completely stop generating families after start?

I.E. if i recruit a tribal, will his relatives have a chance to show up? Or will spacer relatives have chances to show up in ways that make sense like crash landings, ect?

Looking on the workshop there's a mod that's just disables relationship generation outright, and a Chinese one that seems to be specific to raids and has configurable percentages if the Google translation is correct? The latter sounds closer to what you want and the language shouldn't matter once you get the settings dialed in. I don't think any mod checks the backstory of the pawn though.

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

Pharnakes posted:

One the one hand I like that the colonists are "grounded" in the universe as a whole, on the other hand grandpa of some spacers who crashed here 5 minutes ago after a presumed journey of many years turning out to have been here all along as a tribal is really loving stupid.

Does this mod manage to tread a middle line here or does it completely stop generating families after start?

I.E. if i recruit a tribal, will his relatives have a chance to show up? Or will spacer relatives have chances to show up in ways that make sense like crash landings, ect?

I'm still not sure if other characters are continually generated after the start, but I assume some are "born" at certain times in other tribes but never show up unless they're at least 14 (the lowest age I've seen on a character so far). And yeah, existing tribals that you recruit will have relationships with other characters that show up in their bios. One interesting thing that happened on my last map involved a visiting tribal getting mauled by a mad emu. I kicked around the idea of not rescuing her since I was running low on medicine, but said gently caress it and rescued her. This ended up being a good idea because I checked her needs out of curiosity and she wanted to "sleep with Salvo", which was one of my colonists. Turns out she was married to him and I hadn't noticed the relationship tag before cancelling the notice. Even more odd was that her name was "DeSalvo". Yup, Salvo was married to DeSalvo. Not sure if it was just a really weird naming coincidence or if was something that was programmed in somehow to be intentional.

As far as spacer relations go, I always figured that it was either more colonists than yours managed to escape the ship somehow and landed scattered across the planet or that your ship was part of a fleet or something that all encountered the same problem that caused the crash in the first place. The others that escaped landed randomly across the planet and simply assimilated into whatever factions picked them up. Not sure if that's correct, but so far I haven't had a spacer that didn't have a second age due to stasis being related to someone who was apparently born on the planet.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

way I square it in my head, there's a wrecked colony ship in a slowly degrading orbit around the planet, and every now and then a cryptosleep casket or three breaks off and crashes to earth. doesn't make 100% sense, but makes more sense than "space Bermuda triangle for specific lineages".

cugel
Jan 22, 2010
One of the most brutal social fight I've ever seen. Hyena the abrasive hunter was wounded by Holt the poo poo Lord; he deflected a pila or arrow while fighting tribals with his lightsaber, messing her shoulder pretty bad. Leaving the hospital after her wound was healed, she pick a fight:

The simple steel helmet she was wearing didn't protect her from whatever he did. She fell and stood up right after, instant Trauma savant.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

jesus. worst I've seen was the guy who bit another colonist in the eye.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Affects: social interactions

She's just going to do it again isn't she?

cugel
Jan 22, 2010

Pharnakes posted:

Affects: social interactions

She's just going to do it again isn't she?

Nope, she can't talk anymore: Talking 0% Hearing 0%.

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009
My somewhat advanced Tribals just got a quest offer to watch a Turkey afflicted with Plague for 19 days. I don't have a whole lot of experience with plague but I could use some easy royalty points. If I accept will this thing be hard to cure? Will it spread to my tribals or their gorilla pets?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Neon Knight posted:

My somewhat advanced Tribals just got a quest offer to watch a Turkey afflicted with Plague for 19 days. I don't have a whole lot of experience with plague but I could use some easy royalty points. If I accept will this thing be hard to cure? Will it spread to my tribals or their gorilla pets?

It's pretty easy to treat. If you get behind, you can use higher-quality medicine by upping the medicine limits for the animal.

Diseases don't spread in Rimworld. They spawn initially and that's it.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Make sure to have an animal box or animal bed built too (depending on animal size), they give immunity gain speed just like beds for people.

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009
Thanks, I will care for this sick bird. And naturally I am letting them use my Royal Ginea Pigs' excellent animal bed.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Are there still multiple dinosaur mods? Which one do people recommend?

I want a squad of tamed velociraptors :D

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

cugel posted:

Nope, she can't talk anymore: Talking 0% Hearing 0%.

Yeah, unless they're your negotiator or recruiter, trama savant is almost always beneficial because it stops the little assholes from running their mouths, or caring when others do it either.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Keeshhound posted:

Yeah, unless they're your negotiator or recruiter, trama savant is almost always beneficial because it stops the little assholes from running their mouths, or caring when others do it either.

or animal trainer!

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Arrath posted:

Are there still multiple dinosaur mods? Which one do people recommend?

I want a squad of tamed velociraptors :D

Dinosauria if you just want herds of dinos (with art-style that fits Rimworld pretty well) running around with all the other animals and eating your colonists.

Jurassic Rimworld if you specifically want to recreate Jurrasic Park in Rimworld. Adds a lot more things then just dinos (some benches for dino-related genetic engineering, electric fences, anti-dino turrets etc...) and with imho far more clashing art-style. Normal version does not have Dinos in the wild and you have to actually genetically engineer them to get them, but also has a lite version that does basically same thing as Dinosauria and just adds shitloads of dinos running around in the wilds.

Both are slightly unbalanced in the sense that things like Brontosaurs yield (appropriately) absolutely gigantic piles of meat and leather, so a single big dino equals about an entire herd of elks or muffalos while being far easier and faster to hunt. That and of course all the late-game legions of pet cyborg T-Rexes.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I'm using Dinosauria. Seems pretty well integrated with other mods you might want it to like questionable ethics.

Using my raptors to haul from my hydroponics area because horses were eating the drat psychite leaves instead of leaving them to be made in to cash.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Lt. Lizard posted:

Both are slightly unbalanced in the sense that things like Brontosaurs yield (appropriately) absolutely gigantic piles of meat and leather, so a single big dino equals about an entire herd of elks or muffalos while being far easier and faster to hunt. That and of course all the late-game legions of pet cyborg T-Rexes.

Does it include cybernetics for animals, or is it just compatible with A Dog Said?

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Both of them are compatible with A Dog Said. Dinosauria also has a patch for Genetic Rimworld, so you can have horrible thrumbo-dinosaur hybrid monsters for maximum Mad Science.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

bird food bathtub posted:

I'm using Dinosauria. Seems pretty well integrated with other mods you might want it to like questionable ethics.

Using my raptors to haul from my hydroponics area because horses were eating the drat psychite leaves instead of leaving them to be made in to cash.

Horses seem smart

kiss me Pikachu
Mar 9, 2008
Right before the Royalty patch I had an early item stash quest guarded by a pack of man hunting chickens. Sent three guys with middling weapons, took out the marauding chickens and went to open the big building in the middle of the map. Directly behind the door was a very angry Allosaurus that bit off two limbs of the door opener and decapitated the next before being brought down. 10/10 would recommend Dinosauria for surprise big chickens

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

My favorite rimworld experience was doing a rich explorer solo start and proceeding to land about three tiles away from a T-rex. A hungry T-rex. Poor sap didn't even have time to reach their gun before they got eaten. Quickest game ever.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Sounds like Dinosauria and Genetic Rim it is, thanks guys.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Asimo posted:

My favorite rimworld experience was doing a rich explorer solo start and proceeding to land about three tiles away from a T-rex. A hungry T-rex. Poor sap didn't even have time to reach their gun before they got eaten. Quickest game ever.

One of my favorite unintended mod interactions involved Dinosauria and Giddy-Up Battle Mounts. The Giddy-Up Battle Mounts mod allows you to ride animals in combat, and also allow raids spawn with some of the pawns riding animals (with tribals having far greater chance of riding animals than pirates) randomly pulled from the biome of your colony . Which is all well and good, but with Dinosauria that includes dinos and like second or third raid after I started the colony was three tribal raiders riding tamed T-Rexes. :v:

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Arrath posted:

Sounds like Dinosauria and Genetic Rim it is, thanks guys.

Give Alpha Animals a try as well if you want some big dangerous animals. Who doesn't love fighting acid spitting spiders? You can even add Alpha Biomes to it so you can have a constantly respawning map full of them!

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

If you're looking for cool sci fi animals, give this a try https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2043591062

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Piell posted:

Give Alpha Animals a try as well if you want some big dangerous animals. Who doesn't love fighting acid spitting spiders? You can even add Alpha Biomes to it so you can have a constantly respawning map full of them!

Ah yes the spider jungle map aka I make a closet out of the starting wood and only work on this during the night.

That map is super fun until you get established but after that its somewhat boring because the constant swarm of ravenous spiders basically deals with all animals,traders, raids, and sieges.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Telsa Cola posted:

Ah yes the spider jungle map aka I make a closet out of the starting wood and only work on this during the night.

That map is super fun until you get established but after that its somewhat boring because the constant swarm of ravenous spiders basically deals with all animals,traders, raids, and sieges.

Sounds like a really different flavor compared to brutal ice shelf start. Same problem long term only it's hoards of vicious spiders killing everything instead of the cold, but at least the beginning is different.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah the spider jungle map is pretty interesting, if rough in some ways. You're going to quickly get hostile to most factions for example as their caravans will constantly be hunted by giant acid spiders the second they arrive, and crash landed pod survivors are basically raw meat. On the other hand the same is true of raids, though that's more a mild annoyance to the big late game raids. Sending colonists out to haul requires heavy guard during the day too. The spiders won't hunt androids for obvious reasons so it makes a fun base for a robot colony, and you're almost guaranteed to get random feralisk tames and having an army of tamed acid-spitting spiders is hilarious.

It's definitely a mod/map combo worth trying at least once, and alpha animals by itself adds the desperately needed alien critter weirdness the vanilla game lacks anyway.

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
I just had to down/kill about 3/4 of a raid before they hosed off. Have they changed the flee percentage on Merciless?

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Giddy-Up Battle Mounts just resulted in a pirate raid arriving riding boomalopes; the chain-reaction explosion was hilarious

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
That raid probably sounded badass when they were planning it back at camp

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

If you like boomalopes you'll like (maybe):

Doomalopes!

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Crimson Harvest posted:

That raid probably sounded badass when they were planning it back at camp

"Okay, so there's this nine hundred year old movie; Fury Road..."

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Mister Bates posted:

Giddy-Up Battle Mounts just resulted in a pirate raid arriving riding boomalopes; the chain-reaction explosion was hilarious

"Look, nobody hunts boomalopes because they explode. It's a pretty good defense mechanism. By riding them, our enemy will be too afraid of the explosions to risk shooting at us! It's a foolproof plan!"

kiss me Pikachu
Mar 9, 2008

:discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
how do i stop my dogs and cats being raging alcoholics and how do i get my colonists to drop their tattered gear for the perfectly fine stuff in a stockpile automatically