Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

schmug posted:

Woe, 144 out of a population of over a billion isn't zero. You got us. I give up.
China just came out of an extreme multi-month lock down (that Wuhan is still in), is quarantining anyone who enters the country, the hardest hit areas probably have developed a limited degree of herd immunity, and people are still scared of the virus so shops aren't open and people aren't exactly flocking into giant crowds - it's not unbelievable that they'd only have a couple hundred new cases per day given that they're likely still only testing symptomatic people. It'll be interesting to see the numbers coming out in the next few weeks, now that people are being allowed to travel again, Wuhan is opening up in a few days, and people begin to settle back into old routines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

schmug
May 20, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

BTW, the UK has more reported days today so far than Italy or Spain. Brexit is reestablishing British dominance already!

I need more days today. Having one just isn't enough.

schmug
May 20, 2007

wyoak posted:

China just came out of an extreme multi-month lock down (that Wuhan is still in), is quarantining anyone who enters the country, the hardest hit areas probably have developed a limited degree of herd immunity, and people are still scared of the virus so shops aren't open and people aren't exactly flocking into giant crowds - it's not unbelievable that they'd only have a couple hundred new cases per day given that they're likely still only testing symptomatic people. It'll be interesting to see the numbers coming out in the next few weeks, now that people are being allowed to travel again, Wuhan is opening up in a few days, and people begin to settle back into old routines.

STFU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

wyoak posted:

Wuhan is opening up in a few days, and people begin to settle back into old routines.

This will probably work out about as well as reopening the theaters

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

poverty goat posted:

This will probably work out about as well as reopening the theaters
yeah it's probably gonna be bad

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
Last post to you from me because i don't actually wanted to have a conversation on this and am only pissed off because you're going after me personally. After that you can say whatever the gently caress you like:

You're now actively lying about me. I understand you're in a great amount of distress because your country is burning down, but trying to paint me as a rabid propaganda-spreading CCP sleeper agent doesn't help anyone.

So: gently caress off. Put me on ignore instead of trying to pick fights with me. I already have you on ignore and won't bother with your pissy poo poo anyhow.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

yeah c'mon man don't disrupt the "CHINER BAD" narrative.

schmug
May 20, 2007

Mithaldu posted:

Last post to you from me because i don't actually wanted to have a conversation on this and am only pissed off because you're going after me personally. After that you can say whatever the gently caress you like:

You're now actively lying about me. I understand you're in a great amount of distress because your country is burning down, but trying to paint me as a rabid propaganda-spreading CCP sleeper agent doesn't help anyone.

So: gently caress off. Put me on ignore instead of trying to pick fights with me. I already have you on ignore and won't bother with your pissy poo poo anyhow.

dawww

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

wyoak posted:

the hardest hit areas probably have developed a limited degree of herd immunity.

Nowhere in China got hit hard enough for herd immunity to be a factor unless the numbers of infected and dead were underreported by multiple orders of magnitude.

schmug
May 20, 2007

Famethrowa posted:

yeah c'mon man don't disrupt the "CHINER BAD" narrative.

Nice try rear end in a top hat. Not what I said or even implied.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
How do I get my boss to lay me off from my essential position?
I want to make nearly double my paycheck by doing nothing at home.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

yes, im sure they they're assuming Trump doesn't watch television. Why would anyone think otherwise

DropsySufferer posted:

I agree who cares about old people. It’s not like we all have parents and older relatives we care about...

The majority of these posts are about people concerned for their older relatives and them not listening so I'm not sure what you're getting at

Telebite posted:

This got poster yesterday and already has 1 million views.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpQFCcSI0pU

The question, is did they start to research the virus that came from the market, or did the virus come from the research lab? And why is that lady's info removed and no one's seen her?

I mean, this isn't proof but it definitely raises some pretty interesting questions. We always knew this was a possibility. Of course, it almost doesn't matter at this point, it's just a historical detail

Platystemon posted:

Why is it likelier that people handling serious viruses, who knew they were handling serious viruses, hosed up, than it is that some yokel was inconsiderately handling a pangolin, oblivious to the pathogens it could carry?

You're ignoring the fact that a novel coronavirus appearing from a lab that is studying and creating novel coronaviruses is more likely than simple random chance at a nearby wet market. He claims people working there have stated they were splashed with bat urine, and honestly China is not the most well known country for its safety regulations and procedures.

I'm not saying it definitely happened that way, but there's at the very least a decent chance that's how it happened which has been my opinion from the beginning.

nong posted:

all these grime or 'organic materials' are most likely full of nutrients to incubate stuff on, and you probably cant create a more perfect environment to grow bacteria or virus that's targeting the mixtures of all those species

You actually CAN create a more perfect environment to grow virus.... in a lab that's designed to grow virus

Mithaldu posted:

Just stop talking about it dude, christ. A few of you are credulous enough to believe the CCP, fine, that doesn't change anything. Or I'll say it even more kindly: you prefer to take them at their word, others don't. Just stop talking about it already because everyone's just going in circles and nobody on either side is going to be convinced of their wrongness, apparently.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

Achtane posted:

How do I get my boss to lay me off from my essential position?
I want to make nearly double my paycheck by doing nothing at home.

Get covid19.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Warbadger posted:

Nowhere in China got hit hard enough for herd immunity to be a factor unless the numbers of infected and dead were underreported by multiple orders of magnitude.
Infected I don't think anyone has a handle on, that's sorta my point

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

China and America both threw away their opportunities to contain coronavirus early when containment was possible, resulting in mass deaths both domestically and abroad, and both countries have massaged the numbers and misrepresented statistics, such as by presenting the number of positive tests as though it were an indicator that the overall number of cases was small. There is no china vs USA here, and beating that drum for either side risks casting a positive light on either country's shameful response. Both countries are bad, and both governments have doomed hundreds of thousands or more with their incompetence.

CarpenterWalrus
Mar 30, 2010

The Lazy Satanist
no, you see, china lying about its numbers matters to the US right now because

Play
Apr 25, 2006

CarpenterWalrus posted:

no, you see, china lying about its numbers matters to the US right now because

why does everything have to be about the US? We have forum members all over the world and I would say the situation in any country is of interest.

That being said just forget about the numbers and whether they are lies for now, we don't have the ability to call out those lies so discussing it is pointless especially when it's creating super derails

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
there will be plenty of reason to go to war with China in the coming economic struggle. no need to beat the drum early

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

poverty goat posted:

Both countries are bad, and both governments have doomed hundreds of thousands or more with their incompetence.
e: To disagree with myself below slightly, my main concern in which this one is rooted is that i'm terrified for the lives of my american friends, several of which are medical workers.

This is honestly my main concern, particularly in the us i want to see enough people understand just how much blood is on trump's hands that direct action is taken. Preferrably faster than slower, given the US Army already has a perfectly functional and helpful action plan ready:

https://twitter.com/DavidBegnaud/status/1245906088911949826

Getting the same kinda thing on the CCP would be considerably harder so i don't even hope for it, but i won't say no.

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Apr 4, 2020

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

Mithaldu posted:

e: To disagree with myself below slightly, my main concern in which this one is rooted is that i'm terrified for the lives of my american friends, several of which are medical workers.

This is honestly my main concern, particularly in the us i want to see enough people understand just how much blood is on trump's hands that direct action is taken. Preferrably faster than slower, given the US Army already has a perfectly functional and helpful action plan ready:

Getting the same kinda thing on the CCP would be considerably harder so i don't even hope for it, but i won't say no.

What do you mean by direct action?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

schmug posted:

All things I hadn't considered. Sorry if I was overly harsh. I just assume everyone is and idiot or a troll or both these days. That being said, and as others mentioned more eloquently, there are alternatives to fresh stuff that you might have grown accustomed to.
It's cool. You're right that we need to make changes, I think.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bt1UZAnxnA

Some really cool 3d printing tips in this video, getting the print time down to a single hour for such a large face shield is incredible.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

wyoak posted:

Infected I don't think anyone has a handle on, that's sorta my point

Korea and Taiwan contained the virus successfully, as verified by continued mass testing, which implies their numbers on total infected are more or less accurate and inclusive.

It's still pretty deadly according to their numbers - despite the medical infrastructure never getting overwhelmed.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Apr 4, 2020

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Frank Sidebottom posted:

What do you mean by direct action?
Whatever tools the constitution provides. Or heck, having states secede.

I don't give a particular poo poo, as long as it replaces Kushner's operation to make profits with american lives with something that's actually workable.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
This is going to be a global downturn. Life isn't a zero sum game to the good OR the bad. China does best when the US is doing well. Basic stuff you guys

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

Mithaldu posted:

Whatever tools the constitution provides. Or heck, having states secede.

I don't give a particular poo poo, as long as it replaces Kushner's operation to make profits with american lives with something that's actually workable.

Yeah what'll really fix the pandemic is a civil war

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Spinz posted:

Gotta get fired or laid off. I also filed for unemployment for first time in my life last week and I'm 50. Not a moment's guilt here, just gratitude it exists.

You paid into to it for so long for everyone, including yourself. Get something out of it.

You're good people, Spins.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
in a vacuum it'd be a good thing for the feds to be controlling the distribution of supplies because they'd be in position to gauge the needs of one state vs another

unfortunately Trump instead

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Bibliotechno Music posted:

I’m also gonna try out a sewn version to give to the various cashiers in my neighborhood. I don’t wanna give them something that needs a YouTube link to clean. I have a pattern in mind to try sewing, I’ll post it here if it works out.

That is very kind of you. :)

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Pick posted:

This is going to be a global downturn. Life isn't a zero sum game to the good OR the bad. China does best when the US is doing well. Basic stuff you guys

Of course but then how could they argue about China for no reason

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Mithaldu posted:

So what I'm getting from this is that Trump made sure that the private sector got inserted in a level that they were not included in before, so that they can get their slice of the pie and delay/confuse distribution? Or am I misunderstanding this?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Here's a new article about how folding@home is helping and on that note we need you to help SA stay at the top of the leaderboard because everyone else has started mining proteincoins again as well. There is constant work right now. Be sure to join team 150 and use a passkey for bonus points.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Pick posted:

As a mercantilist, I disagree.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Blistex posted:

So what I'm getting from this is that Trump made sure that the private sector got inserted in a level that they were not included in before, so that they can get their slice of the pie and delay/confuse distribution? Or am I misunderstanding this?

I feel like theres some kind of miscommunication over what they are talking about and what Trump did. What I thought Trump is doing is "facilitating" private sector produced/owned equipment, but what the general is talking about in that clip is distributing stuff already owned by the government. Can someone clarify?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Blistex posted:

Exactly that, it's amazingly horrible.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/04/01/jared-kushner-coronavirus-response-160553

wyoak posted:

in a vacuum it'd be a good thing for the feds to be controlling the distribution of supplies because they'd be in position to gauge the needs of one state vs another

unfortunately Trump instead

US Army != FED. There are problems with the US Army too, but at least in the short term they'd save wildly more lifes.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

poverty goat posted:

Here's a new article about how folding@home is helping and on that note we need you to help SA stay at the top of the leaderboard because everyone else has started mining proteincoins again as well. There is constant work right now. Be sure to join team 150 and use a passkey for bonus points.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieF7ER1wvT0

i dont really know whats happening here but pretty sure something is getting penetrated

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

So what's the insurance situation if you get temporarily laid off during this thing? That's the only snag I can think of because here in Texas if you make less than ~$70k a year you'd get a slight bump in take-home pay if you were laid off and sat on your rear end for a few months.

But I'm guessing COBRA is like $3k a month so the whole thing would fall apart.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

dr_rat posted:

And China isn't even remotely the only place that has those sort of markets. Just go to pretty much any developing country and you'll usually be able to find pretty much that.

China has the one-two punch of wet wildlife markets in extremely population dense areas. Wuhan isn't some rural backwater, 11 million people live there. More than NYC.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Mithaldu posted:

Exactly that, it's amazingly horrible.

Fuuuuck. I was hoping (for the US's sake) that I was wrong, but ever-loving gently caress that is criminal!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Montreal police using their new expanded powers to ensure we're safe by... doing a raid in a leftist political org's HQ.
And Quebec provincial police now believe the crisis justifies geolocalizing anyone's cell phone, intercept incoming and outgoing SMS, incoming and outgoing calls.

To... make sure everyone respects rules of isolation, of course.

The last thing our police need more of is power. This is loving terrible.

Of course, most of the comments I see are along the lines of "we have to lose individual liberties to be safe, this is a no-brainer".

gently caress.