Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

grill youre saelf posted:

Looking for a game where i can build/manufacture/gather a good and sell it. The catch is I want to "corner" a market. or i want the quality of my good to be superior everyone wants to buy my good.

Games I've played a lot of:
Rimworld: it was fun making statues and stuff but there isn't really an economy like I want

Victoria 2: too large scale. To really corner a market youd have to play a huge country with colonies and im not a fan of that

Unrealworld: fan of the genre, but the lack of reactive economy isn't scratching the itch.

Stardew valley: put a lot of hours in this and loved it but the prices never change!

I've dabbled in a lot of games, but nothing really hooked me. Please help! Pc only

Moonlighter?

I haven't actually played Moonlighter.

e: VVVV Rocket League!

Ben Nerevarine fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Apr 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

This might be a long shot but does anyone know of any games that are playable cross-platform (in this case PS4 / PC) that me and a couple friends could play together? I'm the only one with a console but my laptop can't run pretty much any modern games so I'm trying to find something that would let us all play the same thing - we've dabbled in some old-school team shooters and WoW Classic but got burned out on those. Really just looking for anything that allows us to play cooperatively against other human players, but I have no idea where to look.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

hi thread

i dont normally play story-oriented games but i really enjoyed the most recent deus ex game (mankind divided) and im looking for something that scratches the same itch. i like that it was open world, but a small with a lot of detail and really great worldbuilding, lots of player freedom contained within an overall good story. like, normally when a game wants me to go digging through people's emails and notes and whatnot i find it very tedious and get bored, but the world and writing of deus ex was compelling enough that i was motivated to actually seek out and read all the little bits of backstory that they dropped all over the place.

would love any recommendations, i have an xbox, ps4, switch, and a 6 year old macbook pro.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Earwicker posted:

hi thread

i dont normally play story-oriented games but i really enjoyed the most recent deus ex game (mankind divided) and im looking for something that scratches the same itch. i like that it was open world, but a small with a lot of detail and really great worldbuilding, lots of player freedom contained within an overall good story. like, normally when a game wants me to go digging through people's emails and notes and whatnot i find it very tedious and get bored, but the world and writing of deus ex was compelling enough that i was motivated to actually seek out and read all the little bits of backstory that they dropped all over the place.

would love any recommendations, i have an xbox, ps4, switch, and a 6 year old macbook pro.

Prey. You want Prey. The new one.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Prey. You want Prey. The new one.

oh yeah i dont know why i didnt think of that, its been on my "check this out" list forever and seems exactly right. thanks!

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There's also Human Revolution or the original Deus Ex if you're willing to deal with an old game.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

This might be a long shot but does anyone know of any games that are playable cross-platform (in this case PS4 / PC) that me and a couple friends could play together? I'm the only one with a console but my laptop can't run pretty much any modern games so I'm trying to find something that would let us all play the same thing - we've dabbled in some old-school team shooters and WoW Classic but got burned out on those. Really just looking for anything that allows us to play cooperatively against other human players, but I have no idea where to look.

Bloop

Brawlhalla and Minecraft are also pretty good.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Earwicker posted:

hi thread

Prey should be at the top of your list, just seconding it because yes, Prey. And you've checked out the STALKER games, and the original Thieves, and System Shocks 1+2, yeah? Okay, gonna take you into the less exact recs now because I really love them:

- Assassin's Creed Origins tells a surprisingly good story about a man out for revenge against the people who killed his son and his moral conflict as his wife also tries to rope his revenge into a larger political scheme. There is a minimum of modern day stuff, and oodles of player freedom as you can almost at any time traipse off to the pyramids to climb on them, or do sidequests or whatever. Also, it's beautiful.

- Hitman 2 contains the levels/story from Hitman 2016, and I'll be blunt: I'm one of the 2 people on earth invested in the incomplete main story, so know that I'm biased. I'm recommending this because every level is insanely detailed and is free to explore and you get these fantastic little stories about almost everyone in a given level. You can set up all kinds of silly/interesting scripted events too - pose as a scientist's therapist! Sabotage a racing event so your target wins, so you can set up the victory fireworks on stage to explode! Sit through an interview at a NYC bank! The writing is fantastically dark and comedic and I love it.

There is some surprisingly great writing in AAA games, and I'm so happy for them.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

StrixNebulosa posted:

Prey should be at the top of your list, just seconding it because yes, Prey. And you've checked out the STALKER games, and the original Thieves, and System Shocks 1+2, yeah? Okay, gonna take you into the less exact recs now because I really love them:

- Assassin's Creed Origins tells a surprisingly good story about a man out for revenge against the people who killed his son and his moral conflict as his wife also tries to rope his revenge into a larger political scheme. There is a minimum of modern day stuff, and oodles of player freedom as you can almost at any time traipse off to the pyramids to climb on them, or do sidequests or whatever. Also, it's beautiful.

- Hitman 2 contains the levels/story from Hitman 2016, and I'll be blunt: I'm one of the 2 people on earth invested in the incomplete main story, so know that I'm biased. I'm recommending this because every level is insanely detailed and is free to explore and you get these fantastic little stories about almost everyone in a given level. You can set up all kinds of silly/interesting scripted events too - pose as a scientist's therapist! Sabotage a racing event so your target wins, so you can set up the victory fireworks on stage to explode! Sit through an interview at a NYC bank! The writing is fantastically dark and comedic and I love it.

There is some surprisingly great writing in AAA games, and I'm so happy for them.

thanks for this. yes i loved system shocks 1+2 and the first two thief games (never tried the third/reboot one but iirc it got really bad reviews), and i played through most of ac origins and liked it a lot.

have never tried any of the hitman games and dont know anything about them maybe i'll give that a shot as well

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Apr 4, 2020

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Earwicker posted:

thanks for this. yes i loved system shocks 1+2 and the first two thief games (never tried the third/reboot one but iirc it got really bad reviews), and i played through most of ac origins and liked it a lot.

have never tried any of the hitman games and dont know anything about them maybe i'll give that a shot as well

All of the Hitmans pre the 2016 reboot are grody as hell, sexist, racist, stereotypes everywhere. Please avoid them. Even the best one, Blood Money, opens with a racist as hell tutorial level.

Hitman 2016+2 meanwhile are nuanced and funny and I love them to bits. Pick up 2 in the humble choice bundle for 12$, and if you own Hitman 2016 it should be able to upgrade those levels to the Hitman 2 engine. If not, the 2016 levels are 20$ on steam as the GOTY legacy pack.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
So, just watched that Astartes space marine fan movie thing and now I want to stomp around as a heavily armoured human tank. It doesn't have to be 40k related. I'm aware of Space Marine but I'm gonna wait for it to go on sale again before getting it.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Fallout 4 would definitely scratch that itch, though it would take a while to actually hit peak space marine rear end kicking mode.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Chas McGill posted:

So, just watched that Astartes space marine fan movie thing and now I want to stomp around as a heavily armoured human tank. It doesn't have to be 40k related. I'm aware of Space Marine but I'm gonna wait for it to go on sale again before getting it.

EYE Divine Cybermancy is the way to go. The devs did a 40k game afterwards, but it wasn't as good.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Earwicker posted:

hi thread

Dishonored+DLC then Dishonored 2+DLC

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Horn posted:

That's a weird way of spelling saints row 4.

SR4 really gets the open world right by mostly divorcing itself from the cars and guns, and giving the PC superpowers that are way better than anything else and follow more traditional RPG leveling paths. What if you put Superman in a GTA or SR city? SR4 is the answer, with great progressions and a relatively funny story along the way.

gohuskies fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Apr 5, 2020

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
What's a good multiplayer arcadey racer? Are the NFS games still good? I really liked the multiplayer nfs most wanted on vita, but I am looking for something popular on PC (or Wii hahahaha).

The free trackmania is still popular and real fun but it dooooesnt quuuuiiiiiiite scratch that itch.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Probably the Forza Horizons, NFS has been bad for a while now

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

gohuskies posted:

SR4 really gets the open world right by mostly divorcing itself from the cars and guns, and giving the PC superpowers that are way better than anything else and follow more traditional RPG leveling paths. What if you put Superman in a GTA or SR city? SR4 is the answer, with great progressions and a relatively funny story along the way.

I mean, if you want a superhero game, there's plenty of superhero games out there like spiderman, hulk, crackdown, prototype, it becomes a different kind of game.

If you want a cars and guns game in an open world city, Sleeping Dogs is the best one. It also entirely bypassed the issues with traffic by leaving the player room to weave around other cars. Also Kung Fu.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Earwicker posted:

hi thread

Control.

Also seconding the Dishonored 1 + 2 recommendation.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Probably the Forza Horizons, NFS has been bad for a while now

Thanks! I thought most wanted was real good so that's a pity they've gotten worse

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Earwicker posted:

hi thread

Control and Horizon Zero Dawn are the two games I've played recently where I enjoyed the background lore enough to read all the little datafiles.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I mean, if you want a superhero game, there's plenty of superhero games out there like spiderman, hulk, crackdown, prototype, it becomes a different kind of game.

If you want a cars and guns game in an open world city, Sleeping Dogs is the best one. It also entirely bypassed the issues with traffic by leaving the player room to weave around other cars. Also Kung Fu.

Sure but all those superhero games are worse than Saints Row 4. Make no mistake, I love Sleeping Dogs, I've played it through 2 or maybe 3 times and it's truly excellent, an A+ game. Certainly if you want something more "real world" it's the way to go, or for people who liked having a more intricate hand to hand combat system like the Arkham games of Shadows of Mordor. But SR4 is just an all around A++ open world playground in my book.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

gohuskies posted:

Sure but all those superhero games are worse than Saints Row 4. Make no mistake, I love Sleeping Dogs, I've played it through 2 or maybe 3 times and it's truly excellent, an A+ game. Certainly if you want something more "real world" it's the way to go, or for people who liked having a more intricate hand to hand combat system like the Arkham games of Shadows of Mordor. But SR4 is just an all around A++ open world playground in my book.

It does the whole "it's all in a dreeeaaaammmm(/computer) crap, which instantly devalues the entire thing and makes it all feel utterly pointless.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Saints Row 4 feels like they ran out of development time halfway through and just copy-pasted their way to the end of the game.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
A good super hero game needs fun super powers, and sorry, SR4's powers are actually kinda crap and boring (not helped by the lack of enemy variety). The traversal is fun but also it's ripped straight out of Prototype so it doesn't get a whole lot of credit for that alone.

Honestly I thought Gat Out of Hell, despite being a budget spinoff game, actually had more fun powers and the flying was original and well implemented.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Apr 7, 2020

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

gohuskies posted:

I'll give you it being better than Crackdown and maybe Prototype, but Spiderman (both 2 and the new one) and Hulk Ultimate Destruction blow SR4 out of the water.

More people should play Hulk Ultimate Destruction.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
I’m looking for something like The Messenger. Doesn’t have to be ninjas or any genre specifically, but NES/SNES era side scrolling and platforming style is a must. Switch and PS4 are the platforms I have access to. Thanks in advance.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

I assume you've played Shovelknight?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The main modern NES-style platformer I know is Shovel Knight.

Master Blaster and Celeste might hit your fancy too.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I'll give you it being better than Crackdown and maybe Prototype, but Spiderman (both 2 and the new one) and Hulk Ultimate Destruction blow SR4 out of the water.

More people should play Hulk Ultimate Destruction.

Hulk: Ultimate Destruction was one of the best games I've ever played, and it perfectly suited the character in a way that's rare for adaptations.

Prototype recycled most of the mechanics and added some new ones, but it's not the same.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Main thing Prototype messed up on was presentation. Sadly, the sequel doubled down on that. It's a real shame, since it's the closest thing to Ultimate Destruction since that came out. Remake of that is up there on my list of dream superhero games, as well as a Fantastic 4 CRPG by Larian, in the style of Divinity Original Sin.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
Yes, sorry. I should have mentioned a few of the games I’ve already played. Shovelknight I thought was fantastic, but finished it some time ago. Same with Master Blaster (both the original and the remake). I’ve also been through all of the handheld Castlevania’s, a bunch of the Shantae games and Steamworld games. Guacamelee too. I guess I’m looking for another Metroidvania type, with an emphasis on the Castlevania style. I also have a 3DS if that helps.

Celeste sounds perfect after looking it up. Thanks for that suggestion, I’d never even heard of it before.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

HairyManling posted:

Yes, sorry. I should have mentioned a few of the games I’ve already played. Shovelknight I thought was fantastic, but finished it some time ago. Same with Master Blaster (both the original and the remake). I’ve also been through all of the handheld Castlevania’s, a bunch of the Shantae games and Steamworld games. Guacamelee too. I guess I’m looking for another Metroidvania type, with an emphasis on the Castlevania style. I also have a 3DS if that helps.

Celeste sounds perfect after looking it up. Thanks for that suggestion, I’d never even heard of it before.

Isn't the Bloodstained series on Switch?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Yeah the Bloodstained games seem like an obvious choice (though I think the Switch port of the main game is still a mess?). I'm not sure if it's been ported elsewhere yet but there's also Timespinner, an incredibly on the nose Symphony of the Night-like.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

HairyManling posted:

I’m looking for something like The Messenger. Doesn’t have to be ninjas or any genre specifically, but NES/SNES era side scrolling and platforming style is a must. Switch and PS4 are the platforms I have access to. Thanks in advance.
Axiom Verge is an extremely solid metroid-like in a faux-NES style that has some really outstanding music, a fascinating graphical style, a mostly solid story until the ending, and some really, really great story beats, particularly the fever sequence. The rusalka are genuinely horrifying entities as well, the guy who made the entire game from the ground up by himself really hit it out of the park with their designs.

Here's the original launch trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVX8RjtJ7YQ

The way the bosses explode...:discourse:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

HairyManling posted:

Odallus is more old-school Castlevania than Metroidvania but it's good

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

HairyManling posted:

You want Timespinner

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Saints Row 4 feels like they ran out of development time halfway through and just copy-pasted their way to the end of the game.

This is pretty close to what happened, except it was back during SR3 the money/time ran out and the SR4 we got was supposed to be part of SR3, then a DLC for 3, then just its own game, with corners cut at every stage. The death spiral of THQ was something to behold a few years back.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

ive been playing Prey thanks to this thread and its extremely good and exactly what i was looking for. thank you!

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
Thank you all for the suggestions. I’ve got a ton of stuff to play for the next couple of weeks. Thanks thread!

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
I picked up Odyssey and it’s been a real treat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

I’ve been playing a lot of action heavy splitsecond decision games lately so I’m really in the mood to play something slower soon. I’d love to play an RPG with the classic ATB style system of the older Final Fantasy games; taking it turns with the enemies, picking a command from a menu for attack and magic, etc.

Does anyone know of any games like this from recent years?