Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Is there a point of no return for replaying missions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Hashy posted:

I didn't literally mean achievement—never cared for them—so much as engaging with the game at its highest endorsed challenge. There's such a thing as encouraging dumb gameplay and not being able to make more than one mistake in a row for 5 hours crosses that line for me. The game is basically easy on nightmare at this stage but occasionally yes I will get boxed in a corner and be evaporated for reasons I can't fully strategize around. The people running this game don't do it that consistently either.

I mean really it would be nearly effortless for any game to have an ironman mode and extend further challenge to the player for free but they rarely do it because it a) its a pact between the game and player that the game is intended to be beaten that way (and is subsequently fair) and b) its an endorsement of any resulting gameplay style and in dooms case neither land for me. I haven't finished doom eternal and never will.

Picture an ultra ultra nightmare mode on the new game menu where you had a maximum of 1hp and one life for the entire game; things can exist when they shouldnt.

It's a video game, dude

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Hashy posted:

I didn't literally mean achievement—never cared for them—so much as engaging with the game at its highest endorsed challenge. There's such a thing as encouraging dumb gameplay and not being able to make more than one mistake in a row for 5 hours crosses that line for me. The game is basically easy on nightmare at this stage but occasionally yes I will get boxed in a corner and be evaporated for reasons I can't fully strategize around. The people running this game don't do it that consistently either.

I mean really it would be nearly effortless for any game to have an ironman mode and extend further challenge to the player for free but they rarely do it because it a) its a pact between the game and player that the game is intended to be beaten that way (and is subsequently fair) and b) its an endorsement of any resulting gameplay style and in dooms case neither land for me. I haven't finished doom eternal and never will.

Picture an ultra ultra nightmare mode on the new game menu where you had a maximum of 1hp and one life for the entire game; things can exist when they shouldnt.
There are two kinds of challenges in the world: the ones that I can complete easily, and the ones that have no business existing.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Highest endorsed challenge

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Starks posted:

Is there a point of no return for replaying missions?

There is a point at which you'll be locked out of all fortress stuff until you've completed the game, and this is called out with both an in game line and a tutorial pop up.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I think Ultra Nightmare is stupid but that's just a reason not to play dumb gimmick difficulties, not to not play the game entirely

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Arist posted:

I think Ultra Nightmare is stupid but that's just a reason not to play dumb gimmick difficulties, not to not play the game entirely

But the social contract

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Between lore chat, the guy who couldn’t beat an archvile on the easiest difficulty, and now whatever this is, this thread has really overdelivered imo

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
It's weird to me to see this sort of critique, because sectioning off all the poo poo I don't like into its own gimmick mode would basically be my ideal case.

I guess one can take issue with the fact that what should, in fact, be presented as a gimmick mode is instead being presented as the highest tier of a conventional difficulty ladder. It's like if Diablo 2 had permadeath suddenly appear when you got to Hell difficulty rather than being its own distinct game mode. I can see that argument.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Most people will not stand a chance on even regular Nightmare. It remains to be seen if I'll even have the fortitude to get through it. But I don't consider myself not having finished Doom Eternal, because I did finish it on UV and it presented a reasonable challenge to me all the way through and it gave me what I wanted from it. I've also never played the original Doom (1993) on Nightmare because it's not fun for me and, as the game literally tells you when you select it, it's not remotely fair. But it was put in the game post-release because people complained that UV was too easy and wanted a real challenge. There's no way to tune the difficulty so that everybody can play it at its hardest without it being way too easy for some people, so the safest compromise it to make it so that almost nobody will be able to complete it at its hardest. Steam achievements are meaningless except for one thing: they indicate what the developer expects of completionists. In Doom Eternal's case, there's nothing in there about difficulty levels, implying that it's purely for fun to play on Nightmare instead of UV, or ITYTD for that matter. If you truly care about fulfilling the social contract between the dev and player or whatever, the Steam achievements list is probably the closest thing to an endorsement of completion you'll find. Everything else is just between you and yourself.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Jack Trades posted:

One singleplayer cheevo left to do.
:negative:

ooh, which one is this

koren
Sep 7, 2003

I wouldn't play ultra nightmare because of how much I loathe the gladiator boss and his ability to pretty much two shot you on nm and the end boss having the ability to do a big fist attack through walls for 100 damage. In a perfect world where both those obstacles were excised, then I think I could reasonably do it with a bit of persistence, given how smoothly extra lives mode went for me. I could probably figure out consistent ways to overcome those bosses consistently too if I spent a few hours practising and working at it, but I don't want to because the game just doesn't hold my attention enough to try.

Outside of a tricky start and those aforementioned difficulty spikes, DE is fundamentally a game where you can neutralise most significant threats instantly with sensible resource usage and fights are static enough so you can build strategies to crush them. You can ignore the far more dangerous slayer gates and gore nest encounters and have enough magic tokens to upgrade your three important weapons to carry you through the entire game relatively quickly.

Fundamentally, I think it's a reasonable challenge to have out there and is 'fair' enough. A challenge doesn't have to be something replicable over and over - a lot of great doom 2 uv-max demos require a lot of grinding and there's a vast amount of variance in that game, where a single projectile can instantly gently caress you over. Like with any game involving chance and chaotic situations, a good player can minimise the risk to themselves over time through good decision making and massively increase their probability of success. DE gives you lots of health, armour and ammo on tap with iframes galore so there's always opportunities to recover from mistakes. Even the bottomless pits won't kill you when you gently caress up platforming unlike many other games. It doesn't require a gigantic investment of time for every attempt or waste the player's time with mindless busywork for hours before putting up a brick wall of difficulty and enough people seem to have been able to achieve it already so I can't see the problem myself.

But like others have said it doesn't matter. If you think it's unfair, changes the way the game works to radically or silly then just treat it like the original doom's nightmare mode and don't worry about it. Nobody is out there inspecting ultra nightmare passes.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

OxySnake posted:

Also, if you miss any challenges / secrets etc you can go back with full cheats and get them.

One of my favorite things is that the weekly missions can be completed with cheats. Unlimited Freeze Bombs + Unlimited BFG = Frozen Whiplash mission ez pz.

The mission select with cheat codes letting you grab secrets is a nice touch. Wouldn't mind fast travel but I think they did a good job of letting you go back to hunt down remaining things without punishing.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Escape Goat posted:

The mission select with cheat codes letting you grab secrets is a nice touch. Wouldn't mind fast travel but I think they did a good job of letting you go back to hunt down remaining things without punishing.

Yeah its pretty nice, with full cheats you can blitz through the levels until you get to the point you need.

Like I think I got through both necrovals in 10 minutes or so

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

ooh, which one is this

Ultra-Nightmare run. I'm not confident in my ability to git gud to be able to do it. :negative:

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Jack Trades posted:

Ultra-Nightmare run. I'm not confident in my ability to git gud to be able to do it. :negative:

Yeah, I think im pretty decent at the game, then I get owned on the 2nd level and welp.

I've half considered learning speed run glitches, and alt F4ing out when I actually have to fight.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
If you use mastery tokens you don't get the achievements or milestones :(

Oh well

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

If you use mastery tokens you don't get the achievements or milestones :(

Oh well

I don't know about milestones but I used 4 or 5 of the mastery tokens and I have the Steam achievement for mastering all mods in one save slot.

edit: I have the milestone as well

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Apr 4, 2020

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Maybe it's a bug then. Oh well no regerts, I'd rather lose the achievement to a bug than do the microwave beam mastery

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I should have gotten the remote detonation mod for the launcher first. You can grind out the lock on mastery on the Taras Nabad slayer gate when they throw fifty Prowlers at you.

Not that the lock on mastery is any good, mind you. It's a great way to slow down your rocket burst or waste ammo as you fire off half your ammunition instead of deleting the single target you wanted dead.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Arcsquad12 posted:

I should have gotten the remote detonation mod for the launcher first. You can grind out the lock on mastery on the Taras Nabad slayer gate when they throw fifty Prowlers at you.

Not that the lock on mastery is any good, mind you. It's a great way to slow down your rocket burst or waste ammo as you fire off half your ammunition instead of deleting the single target you wanted dead.

Prox mastery goes by super fast thankfully, because it's "gimmick" is still killing trash every mouse click and very fast to spam out. Unlike "Hold on, hold on, I need to shoot the floor to warm up my heat blast without killing you" or "75 headshot kills. Kill me now"

As for the restrictive feeling nature of multi lock when you only have 13 rockets tops? Instead think of it as not having to start over when an imp leaps in front of the first lock like hell's secret service.

fadam posted:

Between lore chat, the guy who couldn’t beat an archvile on the easiest difficulty, and now whatever this is, this thread has really overdelivered imo
One of my favorite phenomenon is the juxtaposition of how some people still complain in Doom 2016, "All people used was the SSG+Gauss!". Contrasting to people spamming SSG+Ballista gifs, and the posts of people wishing they could get a handle on using SSG+Not Gauss faster.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Apr 4, 2020

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Lock-on was my go-to when I needed to get rid of a Revenant or Whiplash when there was too much more dangerous stuff around them. I'm not saying I'm a good player though.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Jack Trades posted:

I mean the one where you got that cool arch.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

i'm pretty sure it just refreshes the flag on whether they are able to be gloryholed or not, i've tested 50 punches on a zombie to apparently zero actual damage dealt because it requires the same amount of pellets to kill it after that

What kind of sick game is this

Sex Farm
Nov 17, 2017

I've been playing the poo poo out of the game, I absolutely love it. I managed a pretty good Hudless Nightmare run on 2016 so I was pretty confident. I hadn't played it in awhile.l, though.

It kicked my rear end at the beginning, and I had a real hard time adjusting to all the mechanics they throw at you in the first two levels I beat it on UV and immediately replayed it on UV and I finally really got it. The gameplay is everything I wanted and more from this game.

I've just been unlocking things, doing a extra lives run on easy to get the Phobos skin and get used to the levels more. I'm really looking forward to the DLC, I would imagine it's going to be prequel stuff like what happened between the two games, and something with the Night Sentinels, but who knows.

Question, do you unlock anything by doing the fights in the basement of the base? I completely forgot about it during both runs.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

Beat Extra Life mode with more than 10 lives left.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Pollyanna posted:

I THINK, that arch is the perfection milestone. The one where you have to beat the game with only one crystal upgrade, and one suit upgrade tops. As it lists a "UAC" gate as a prize.

Extra lives "beat it with 10+ spare" and even Ultra Nightmare don't list gates. But I expect a lot of people go for extra lives mode and perfection at the same time to double up on per save slot challenges.

Oh right. The famine cheat challenge will give you a gate covered in tentacles and eyeballs.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
Just started my play through of Nightmare and completed the first and second level with under 8 deaths.

This game knocks the wind out of me mentally. I have to kinda focus and see the arena around me to know what I need at certain times when kiting enemies around. I got weapon swapping a bit with the early game going on and knowing that has helped me out a lot so far.

But I just know this game is gonna kick me back down when I meeting the later heavy mobs.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Dunno why these master levels taking so long.
Just replace the spawns, 1/2 imps, 1/4 tyrants, 1/4 archviles
:kiss:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Haven’t posted in this thread since the day I uninstalled the game but thanks for the dumb loving avatar. Why don’t you use that $10 towards something more meaningful next time, like donating to Doctors Without Borders or some other group currently swamped with Covid 19 cases.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

when did people stop being able to make red text titles funny

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014

GenderSelectScreen posted:

Haven’t posted in this thread since the day I uninstalled the game but thanks for the dumb loving avatar. Why don’t you use that $10 towards something more meaningful next time, like donating to Doctors Without Borders or some other group currently swamped with Covid 19 cases.

goddamn between this and the bad marauder red text someone in this thread sucks rear end at doing these

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
I don’t find that avatar funny; why does being trans insinuate that I’m a furry? I’m not; but the fact that someone would think that’s a funny response has something really wrong in the head.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

I don’t find that avatar funny; why does being trans insinuate that I’m a furry? I’m not; but the fact that someone would think that’s a funny response has something really wrong in the head.

You need to step away you melting down isnt helping you at all in this.

Just walk away and buy a new avatar.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I just beat the game on UV. I got it on release day but took my tim, doing about a mission a day or so. It took me a while to get used to all the mechanics and I still wasn't used to juggling them all by the end. I didn't find myself using Flame Belch very often in combat, instead using the flaming meat hook to get armour back. I kept forgetting to use grenades even though the utility of the ice grenade is obvious. I also didn't use blood punch very often and the times I tried didn't work out very well for me; during the final boss I stuck with the Crucible to take out things larger than fodder that got in my way and didn't bother bloodpunching even though there were tons of refill pickups for it.

I'm going to play through the game in a fresh save file and see if I can improve. The gameplay is fantastic and I hope there is some good single player DLC or expansions (do they even do expansions anymore???) coming down the road.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Katamari Democracy posted:

You need to step away you melting down isnt helping you at all in this.

You’re right. I had wanted to come in here and apologize earlier for how I was responding when I lost my temper but honestly this is more childish than me failing at beating a game on easy. This place feels more and more like 4chan with each passing day.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

BattleMaster posted:

I'm going to play through the game in a fresh save file and see if I can improve. The gameplay is fantastic and I hope there is some good single player DLC or expansions (do they even do expansions anymore???) coming down the road.

Hey friend I beat the game on UV too. And yes, there is a 30 dollar pass up for sale now to get the next two expansions coming out this year.

I too love this game. It's what I needed during these trying times.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

gently caress sake

Whoever is doing these avs you suck rear end

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Moola posted:

gently caress sake

Whoever is doing these avs you suck rear end

Yeah, the whining was definitely red text worthy, but what a sad red text.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

man someone's got a hair trigger for red text avatars in here huh