Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

https://youtu.be/d3Y6SUh8saQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Hekk posted:

I dropped my Appendix J today requesting a retirement date. I have 20 years worth of questionable decisions and varied experiences. However, despite all of my regrets, one thing that has allowed me to look at myself in the mirror and not feel shame has been my consistent advocacy for junior Marines.

I might have hosed a bunch of things up in my life but that is one thing I always got right.

I just got my pdrl message and date back after months of medical holds and of course it's during all this poo poo. I have the unusual route now of getting my dd214 all via email since my psd is shuttered. And of course my cac expires two weeks before my retirement date. On the plus side 21 years and pdrl plus 100% VA. Two checks and no recalls!

A SOF Marine
May 29, 2013

PneumonicBook posted:

Not to pile on (lol pile on incoming) because the Navy thread needs as many posters as it can get but wasn't Kalessin the poster that came in and talked about how they were an officer and after they were called a noble in good intentioned ribbing they melted down?

Because it rates.

Yes, you guys ran him out of here before for shameless O-posting like this. Exact same reaction and then he came back a couple days later doing the “aww shucks” poo poo and faded out.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

King of Bees posted:

I just got my pdrl message and date back after months of medical holds and of course it's during all this poo poo. I have the unusual route now of getting my dd214 all via email since my psd is shuttered. And of course my cac expires two weeks before my retirement date. On the plus side 21 years and pdrl plus 100% VA. Two checks and no recalls!

Congrats, I still have like 7 months to go but it's kind of a surreal feeling. All of the stuff for processing out is closed for me too. Additionally, our Doctor is now on quarantine since she was treating one of our guys who later tested positive for COVID-19. I don't know what the long term effects of this will be but HQMC just released guidance giving authority to local commanders to extend people within the fiscal year to allow them more time for processing out.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Crew of the TR give an awesome sendoff to the captain.

To paraphrase a random redditor, "Dudes probably never gonna have to pay for a drink at the bar ever again".

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I'm still salty flyboys get to wear their coveralls everywhere but surface and sub sailors do not. :smith:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Jimmy4400nav posted:

To paraphrase a random redditor, "Dudes probably never gonna have to pay for a drink at the bar ever again".

drat if you’re gonna get yourself fired, that’s the worthy way to do it.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

So much for social distancing.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

piL posted:

When Mercy is in port and not taking casualties via helo, does she have an elevator or something?

They docked the Mercy at a cruise ship terminal if this explains anything for your. The cruise ship just hangs out by Catalina island now.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I did not come to this decision lightly. I have no doubt in my mind that Captain Crozier did what he thought was in the best interests of the safety and well-being of his crew. Unfortunately, it did the opposite. It unnecessarily raised alarms with the families of our Sailors and Marines with no plan to address those concerns. It raised concerns about the operational capabilities and operational security of the ship that could have emboldened our adversaries to seek advantage, and it undermined the chain of command who had been moving and adjusting as rapidly as possible to get him the help he needed.

lol

This decision is not one of retribution. It is about confidence. It is not an indictment of character, but rather of judgement. While I do take issue with thevalidity of some of the points in Captain Crozier’s letter, he was absolutely correct in raising them.

Haha

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

I did not come to this decision lightly. I have no doubt in my mind that Captain Crozier did what he thought was in the best interests of the safety and well-being of his crew. Unfortunately, it did the opposite. It unnecessarily raised alarms with the families of our Sailors and Marines with no plan to address those concerns. It raised concerns about the operational capabilities and operational security of the ship that could have emboldened our adversaries to seek advantage, and it undermined the chain of command who had been moving and adjusting as rapidly as possible to get him the help he needed.

lol

This decision is not one of retribution. It is about confidence. It is not an indictment of character, but rather of judgement. While I do take issue with thevalidity of some of the points in Captain Crozier’s letter, he was absolutely correct in raising them.

Haha

Alternate reality findings from a Board of Inquiry for why CAPT Crozier did not exercise his rights as CO and deferred to CSG/HHQ and dozens of Sailors ended up dead

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Kalessin ofSelidor posted:

Yeah sure, a message about “focus on your people” and how some folks don’t focus on that is apparently controversial. It’s all good... Literally the point I was trying to make was the hosed up misalignment of priorities of various leadership training pipelines and how we need to actually return to our roots. But for reals, lemme know what the appropriate unwritten rules are before I dare to question the wisdom of our glorious leaders who have never experienced leadership roles.

You must've checked the box to pay lowtax with your sense of humor instead of :10bux: when you signed up. Hekk threw down a good zinger, but nothing to lose your poo poo about. It's not like this is the current events thread.

The Valley Stared posted:

Look, we only blow up at sailors when our coffee isn't prepared properly by the plebians.

That's perfectly justifiable, right?

Use of NAWDC's coffee mess requires an official memo to be submitted to the command chief. We didn't know that and had to get an exception to policy verbal approval when members of the Joint Staff visited.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Goodpancakes posted:

They docked the Mercy at a cruise ship terminal if this explains anything for your. The cruise ship just hangs out by Catalina island now.

Yeah, I'd guess theres probably an elevator there then.

Nick Soapdish posted:

Alternate reality findings from a Board of Inquiry for why CAPT Crozier did not exercise his rights as CO and deferred to CSG/HHQ and dozens of Sailors ended up dead

The buck stops with the CO, things in their control, things not. Sailors acting out? You didnt manage the command correctly. Not enough training or issues with equipment? Also the CO's fault.

Good luck making predjudicial to good order and discipline stick. Maybe violated a lawful order regarding public affairs?

It's not like hes some independent steaming Frigate operating 2,000 miles from his boss; the ISIC is on the same ship. I have a feeling they talked.

piL fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Apr 3, 2020

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

orange juche posted:

Navy thread gets a bit lively and all the Navy, ex-Navy, and Navy-adjacent goons start posting up a storm

Any thread in a storm

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Jimmy4400nav posted:

From another angle.

But, yeah. I have a sneaking suspicion this is going to turn a lot of apolitical sailors into anti-Trumpers. Sailors already don't trust Big Navy, and whatever flimsy excuse they use to justify this is going to go over like mixing at a COVID party.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Kalessin ofSelidor posted:

Lol, y’all too drat salty and apparently too drat touchy. For reals y’all bitches started off with the trolling because I was trying to make a point to say we need to loving focus on our people.... but ok w/e y’all wanna resort to pissing contests.... Literally a fuckin anecdotal example of how Navy leadership needs to reform gets spinned into yet another example of how the fuckin fragile white male ego will cause the downfall of our nation... cool story yo

:discourse:

Quality SWOposting

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Please stop dogpiling on the poster who hasn't said anything in 12 hours.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

AlternateNu posted:

From another angle.

But, yeah. I have a sneaking suspicion this is going to turn a lot of apolitical sailors into anti-Trumpers. Sailors already don't trust Big Navy, and whatever flimsy excuse they use to justify this is going to go over like mixing at a COVID party.

Wow that would be nice, wouldn't it?

I've got members of my law school arguing that the problem with our response to the coronavirus is one of personal philosophy and responsibility and they're getting support from the wing so I'm pretty sure our country is stupid as gently caress.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

I didn't realize that our interactions on the ship had been recorded.

ManMythLegend fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Apr 3, 2020

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Ah yes, the ol' libertarian trap of wanting collective action but sabotaging any attempt to organize. "If God really wanted this thing to take place he would plant the seed sperately into every man's mind so they could wake up to the idea and not be told".

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

ManMythLegend posted:

I didn't realize that our interactions on the ship had been recorded.

Good morning XO, thanks for attending a Zoom meeting in regards to a contact 7000 yards off the port bow my background us currently set to the scenic white sand beaches of Wake Island. The time is 1549, we are headed 000 relative at 6 knots, a sailing vessel bears 270 True at 7000 yards with a CPA of 2000 yards off the port beam in 94 minutes. I hold this as a crossing situation with us as the give way vessel. I intend to maintain course and speed and will be paradoxically be somehow coming about prior to CPA. The Captain has stopped taking my calls since we've been operating in a harbor.

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012

piL posted:

Good morning XO, thanks for attending a Zoom meeting in regards to a contact 7000 yards off the port bow my background us currently set to the scenic white sand beaches of Wake Island. The time is 1549, we are headed 000 relative at 6 knots, a sailing vessel bears 270 True at 7000 yards with a CPA of 2000 yards off the port beam in 94 minutes. I hold this as a crossing situation with us as the give way vessel. I intend to maintain course and speed and will be paradoxically be somehow coming about prior to CPA. The Captain has stopped taking my calls since we've been operating in a harbor.

Very well OOW, sound five short from your bedroom

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

SuperSix posted:

Very well OOW, sound five short from your bedroom

Bedroom?

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Looks like Congress might be a tad miffed at the SECNAV and the Navy over the firing

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

orange juche posted:

Aren't you like the only extant senior noble

Geizkragen or however tf you spell it might still be in.

I got out in 2018

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
One of my former Shipmates posted about this being jacked up on The Book and a Don't Tread On Me Man said this was absolutely necessary. OPSEC. Now the world knows there is a carrier moored in Guam and they're not combat effective!

Yeah ya know nobody could have figured that one out minus the letter.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

maffew buildings posted:

One of my former Shipmates posted about this being jacked up on The Book and a Don't Tread On Me Man said this was absolutely necessary. OPSEC. Now the world knows there is a carrier moored in Guam and they're not combat effective!

Yeah ya know nobody could have figured that one out minus the letter.

https://twitter.com/USNINews/status/1244633155946057728?s=20

Those people claiming OPSEC are the most mouth breathing motherfuckers in the world

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
And: http://www.gonavy.jp/CVLocation.html

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.navy.mil/navydata/nav_legacy.asp?id=146

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

There are armies of boat nerds all over the world that photograph every cool boat entering and leaving every port and there's at least two dozen OSINT firms that compile this and other data and sell it or just post it in twitter for funsies. I think most of them comb through satellite photos every X days too.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
When all you have to grasp at are straws, straws are what you grasp at

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Scratch Monkey posted:

When all you have to grasp at are straws, straws are what you grasp at

You gotta get enough to make a man you can blow over easily.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Cross posting from the Traditional Games GM Advice thread.

sebmojo posted:

Yep. Ships are basically big monsters.

Can confirm.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
While I admire CAPT Crozier's regard for his crew and other embarked Sailors, if it the situation sent down the way the SECNAV said then his firing was justified.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I have zero faith in the current SECNAV so literally any credibility is better than his.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

M_Gargantua posted:

I have zero faith in the current SECNAV so literally any credibility is better than his.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Either a highly experienced career officer decided "gently caress it" and completely sidestepped his entire chain of command in the most public way possible, despite knowing that the help he was asking for was going to arrive the next day; or, big navy bureaucracy was dragging its feet and more concerned about optics than actually addressing a critical problem.

One of those two situations has happened multiple documented times in the last few years.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

vulturesrow posted:

While I admire CAPT Crozier's regard for his crew and other embarked Sailors, if it the situation sent down the way the SECNAV said then his firing was justified.

https://twitter.com/DavidLarter/status/1245843768143745024?s=19

M_Gargantua posted:

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

M_Gargantua posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Make Crozier SecNav, problem solved.