Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

What a good episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Endeavor becoming a Super Saiyan was pretty neat.

I also like that little moment of Endevaor looking at Nomu and going "Oh, jeez, is that what I was doing to my family?"

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Apr 4, 2020

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Larryb posted:

They haven’t announced a start date for season 5 yet have they?
This was the one season that took a little longer, didn't it? IIRC, Seasons 1 through 3 all aired within a year of the first episode of the previous season.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Not Keyser Soze posted:

Cool fight.

Shame we're capping off the season with a lame redemption arc for a serial abuser which involves no actual act of redemption. What is this, Steven Universe?"

life isn't always black and white hth

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Not Keyser Soze posted:

Cool fight.

Shame we're capping off the season with a lame redemption arc for a serial abuser which involves no actual act of redemption. What is this, Steven Universe?"

It's not even a redemption arc, though. It was a fight in which he looked at a physical representation of the ugly part of himself and realized what he'd been doing was pretty lovely. Beyond there being mentions of him giving flowers to his wife (who still doesn't want to see him despite having hope for him), nothing has changed with his family situation.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Wark Say posted:

This was the one season that took a little longer, didn't it? IIRC, Seasons 1 through 3 all aired within a year of the first episode of the previous season.

I think given circumstances, season 5 might also be a bit.

BlitznBurst
Feb 28, 2019

Wark Say posted:

Wasn't this season also meant to air way earlier before it got delayed? (I assume cause of Mob and/or the movie). So yeah I wouldn't be surprised if this season was the exception more than the rule and the next season will be quicker to air.

edit: Though yeah it's also possible the whole pandemic thing might put a damper on that.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Great fight. Great season!

Great post-credits sequence too. I love One For All as a concept, such a brilliant idea for a superpower. Is there anything analogous in Marvel/DC etc?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

There's the Green Lantern Ring, sort of. It gets inherited by other people when the original owner dies.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Really thought Endeavor was going to get murked there! You got one on me, anime, you got one. Well played.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Tokelau All Star posted:

I love One For All as a concept, such a brilliant idea for a superpower. Is there anything analogous in Marvel/DC etc?
The Speed Force from The Flash is kiiiiind of like that. You can tap into it and maybe speak to/contact other speed force users, or retreat into it completely (usually for worse).

I don't believe there's anything where the power grows through succession like it's the Avatar: Last Airbender skillset.

Marvel has The Phoenix Force (posesses individuals with phenomenal cosmic power but makes them go mad), and Captain Universe (cosmic entity that empowers people for a time) but no real component involving passing the power on.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Apr 4, 2020

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

FilthyImp posted:

The Speed Force from The Flash is kiiiiind of like that. You can tap into it and maybe speak to/contact other speed force users, or retreat into it completely (usually for worse).

I don't believe there's anything where the power grows through succession like it's the Avatar: Last Airbender skillset.

Marvel has The Phoenix Force (posesses individuals with phenomenal cosmic power but makes them go mad), and Captain Universe (cosmic entity that empowers people for a time) but no real component involving passing the power on.

The Speed Force isn't handed off intentionally like One For All is, even though The Flash is one of two franchises in Big 2 history to actually legitimately pass a mantle from mentor to mentee without it being a temporary gimmick. Though they kind of backpedaled on that in the last decade.

The GL Ring is close but the ring chooses the closest random person who qualifies rather than the predecessor choosing.

The actual answer is Starman. Which has one of the best self contained cape comics out there and the other franchise besides The Flash I mentioned earlier -- written by James Robinson. The Cosmic Staff is very intentionally passed down from Ted to David to Jack (The main one in the James Robinson story) to Courtney.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Really thought Endeavor was going to get murked there! You got one on me, anime, you got one. Well played.

The new number one hero getting killed by a villain the day after he attained the spot would've had some powerful dystopic energy, not gonna lie. I liked the newswoman's freaking out over how they're all hosed without a symbol too, really felt like it might go there, but it's not that kind of show.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Shyrka posted:

The new number one hero getting killed by a villain the day after he attained the spot would've had some powerful dystopic energy, not gonna lie. I liked the newswoman's freaking out over how they're all hosed without a symbol too, really felt like it might go there, but it's not that kind of show.

I remember that the chapter ended right after Endeavor got hosed, with High End standing over him and people were speculating for a week over whether he was actually going to get killed off and jump start the downfall of hero society.

Bare in mind too, this was just one nomu.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Nephthys posted:

Bare in mind too, this was just one nomu.

Not really, Endeavor is pretty clear on how this is very much not just one Nomu but THE Nomu, with intelligence that none of the previous ones had and far more power and speed, even surpassing the Number One Hero. High-End is no joke, being way above the Black Nomu All Might fought, which itself is several steps above the white/grey Nomus that are just cannon fodder.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

In fairness, it's unlikely that the masses would see it that way.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

Not really, Endeavor is pretty clear on how this is very much not just one Nomu but THE Nomu, with intelligence that none of the previous ones had and far more power and speed, even surpassing the Number One Hero. High-End is no joke, being way above the Black Nomu All Might fought, which itself is several steps above the white/grey Nomus that are just cannon fodder.

Oh for sure, but what I meant was that its something that was manufactured and could therefore be replicated or improved upon. That it was stronger than the previous strongest one just goes to show how dangerous it is that whoever is making them is able to continue.

For me, the idea that this was just something the villains can potentially bring out now was terrifying. The number 1 and 2 heroes working together barely scraped a win against it. Endeavor lost an eye. What happens next time?

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Apr 4, 2020

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Nephthys posted:

Oh for sure, but what I meant was that its something that was manufactured and could therefore be replicated or improved upon.

Much like a child, perhaps?

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Nephthys posted:

For me, the idea that this was just something the villains can potentially bring out now was terrifying. The number 1 and 2 heroes working together barely scraped a win against it. Endeavor lost an eye. What happens next time?

They get more heroes to take one down

Group effort~

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Yeah the eventual theme seems pretty likely to be "the notion of a singular Symbol is wrong; it takes hundreds of brave and dedicated individuals, not one superman"

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Two Tone Shoes posted:

The actual answer is Starman. Which has one of the best self contained cape comics out there and the other franchise besides The Flash I mentioned earlier -- written by James Robinson. The Cosmic Staff is very intentionally passed down from Ted to David to Jack (The main one in the James Robinson story) to Courtney.
I actually did think of that, since I flashed back to how there was a handover of the Cosmic Rod during Zero Hour. But afaik having the rod doesn't tap into previous Star People's powers.

fool of sound posted:

Yeah the eventual theme seems pretty likely to be "the notion of a singular Symbol is wrong; it takes hundreds of brave and dedicated individuals, not one superman"
I think All Might was exceptional in a lot of ways, and that Symbol of Peace thing worked well with him. But it also revealed how reliant on him that system was. You're right that the alternative is fostering a more diverse system, but I think the public will see it as "why does it take 3 top-ranked heroes to save us now"

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I wasn't ready for Chicken Backpedaling At Extremely Fast Speeds

That was a fun fight

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

It wasn't as flashy looking as the main fight, but I love how Hawks recalling his feathers after saving everyone looked.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Hawks is extremely cool and I like how Horikoshi balances his lazy nature with his very real competence and dedication to the job.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I especially liked the fact that Yuuichi Nakamura seems like such a no-brainer of a casting choice that he's like a natural fit for voicing Hawks. :)

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Wark Say posted:

I especially liked the fact that Yuuichi Nakamura seems like such a no-brainer of a casting choice that he's like a natural fit for voicing Hawks. :)

Mumen Rider is cool and good and hopefully my friend.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Endeavor turning into a frisbee was loving sick

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Augus posted:

Endeavor turning into a frisbee was loving sick

I can't get over the plank he does after this.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Tokelau All Star posted:

Great fight. Great season!

Great post-credits sequence too. I love One For All as a concept, such a brilliant idea for a superpower. Is there anything analogous in Marvel/DC etc?

It's just Avatar. Heck we even have Zuko.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Watching this scene again in the anime by the way made me realize where I've seen Endeavor's pose before:

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I like that all solid material in the MHA world is composed of many perfect cubes

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

I like that all solid material in the MHA world is composed of many perfect cubes
This is all Nakamura cuts.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Probably the closest comic analogue to OfA is the Star Brand, though I dunno what's happened to that since the New U got merged into mainstream Marvel. Quasar had it for a while, I believe.

Ooh! also the Nega Bands! Also sorta!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

SKULL.GIF posted:

Watching this scene again in the anime by the way made me realize where I've seen Endeavor's pose before:

What hero is Endeavor analogous to anyway? I was thinking Captain Atom, but that doesn't seem right.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I'm poo poo at comics lore. Is that "Death of Superman"?

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
I remember in the manga really thinking that he had gotten whacked there.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Very embarrassed to admit I just realized that Endeavor got sliced on the same side that Shoto is scarred

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Kawalimus posted:

I remember in the manga really thinking that he had gotten whacked there.

They should have ended the episode on that and left everyone freaking out until next season.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Lt. Lizard posted:

I'm poo poo at comics lore. Is that "Death of Superman"?

Yes. Look forward to Endeavor having to team up with a teenage clone of himself and a guy who is on fire to fight against cyborg-Endeavor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Yes. Look forward to Endeavor having to team up with a teenage clone of himself and a guy who is on fire to fight against cyborg-Endeavor.

This is the anime thread.