Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quetzadilla
Jun 6, 2005

A PARTICULARLY GHOULISH SHITPOSTER FOR NEOLIBERLISM AND THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY
"lmao"

quote:

As of Friday morning, African Americans made up almost half of Milwaukee County’s 945 cases and 81% of its 27 deaths in a county whose population is 26% black. Milwaukee is one of the few places in the United States that is tracking the racial breakdown of people who have been infected by the novel coronavirus, offering a glimpse at the disproportionate destruction it is inflicting on black communities nationwide.

https://www.propublica.org/article/early-data-shows-african-americans-have-contracted-and-died-of-coronavirus-at-an-alarming-rate/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Gio posted:

has this thread talked about taiwan at all

sure. theyre kicking rear end. much like singapore a rich ultracompetent asian government making everyone else look bad

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Finicums Wake posted:

it's funny that china's reported numbers of infected and dead were scrutinized endlessly, and the state was blamed for the faulty information that initially was coming out. but in the US, which is too incompetent to gather the data in the first place, these statistics are either taken at face value. or, if they are criticized, it's never the government that's held responsible, or any other actor or entity really

capitalism gives you a thousand different actors to spread the responsibility around

Homeless Friend has issued a correction as of 02:05 on Apr 5, 2020

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Singapore may have gotten lax. my friend is there and it turns out the infection is starting to spread and they might lock down in a few days.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Taiwan locked the roni down and mobilized industry to provide masks for the world

https://twitter.com/vonderleyen/status/1245399247232684034?s=21

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Salt Fish posted:

It's like science but without all the pesky experiments.

i read a really good philosophy of science book which argued that orthodox macroeconomics is much closer to a branch or mathematics (that mathematicians find mathematically uninteresting) than it is to an empirical science. he also argued that, until economists stop trying to derive results from these basic models of human decision-making, there's little hope that macroeconomics will advance in predictive power, which is a key standard we've held other sciences to

the book is called Economics: Mathematical Politics or Science of Diminshing Returns? by alexander rosenberg

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Durf posted:

whats happening in taiwan

cum deaths

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

My wife, who has asthma, has just started constantly coughing a dry cough. We also live below two nurses.

Wooooo.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/flanaganagain_/status/1246547865532534791

cobol is a programming language used in mainframes (huge expensive servers). basically the only option for enterprise computing in the 60s 70s and 80s. as you would expect most cobol engineers are quite old. the core systems of many banks still run on cobol

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

https://twitter.com/NYGovCuomo/status/1246457007214931968

pictured: the liberation of New York City

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

Charlz Guybon posted:

It's already 1345 which is more than the 1321 yesterday. Probably going to hit 1500 today.

American case and fatality reporting is meaningless. There will never be an accounting of how hard this hits the US. Health systems have no interest in accurate reporting since their insistence on understaffing and understocking has left them unprepared, and local, state, and the federal government have no interest in accurate reporting since it will cost them re-election.

I really hope someone takes the time down the road to analyze the stats and figure out how many more pneumonia/ARDS deaths there are this year. It's going to be a looooooot.

SchrodingersCat has issued a correction as of 02:09 on Apr 5, 2020

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

christ i skipped like 10 pages and this dumb argument is still happening

it's a Karen schism

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

poty posted:

cobol is a programming language used in mainframes (huge expensive servers). basically the only option for enterprise computing in the 60s 70s and 80s. as you would expect most cobol engineers are quite old. the core systems of many banks still run on cobol

A loooot of really important government systems also run on cobol.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Basic Poster posted:

Man there's been like 4 flamewars in here today. That's rad.

shut up cop

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

SchrodingersCat posted:

American case and fatality reporting is meaningless. There will never be an accounting of how hard this hits the US. Health systems have no interest in accurate reporting since their insistence on understaffing and understocking has left them unprepared, and local, state, and the federal government have no interest in accurate reporting since it will cost them re-election.

The official number of deaths has been doubling every 3 days for 30 days. I don't think that's meaningless.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

SchrodingersCat posted:

This is also why I repeatedly tell health care workers to keep a death log because that type of documentation is extremely important if people try to hide deaths

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Its going to be hard for them to really hide it though because that depends on the compliance of health care workers who they are currently making GBS threads reaaaaal hard on.

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

Salt Fish posted:

The official number of deaths has been doubling every 3 days for 30 days. I don't think that's meaningless.

It's like someone telling you it's a little wet outside, and when you look out the window you find that you are in the middle of a lake.

The trend might be showing but the figures are nowhere near reality.

Rashaverak
May 13, 2001

"Cock'n'Balls" is a pinnacle of modern medicine.
I am so loving gassy from all these beans. I thought I was supposed to get used to this, jesus... I'm going to be celibate by the time this is over if I keep eating beans. My wife will leave me.

Also Texas isn't letting me recert my 18 months expired paramedic so I can't join the fun yet. Maybe they'll let me soon...

poty
Jun 21, 2008

Telsa Cola posted:

A loooot of really important government systems also run on cobol.

apparently its for the nj unemployment system

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Big jump in cases in New Hampshire. 81 today, bringing the total from 540 to 641, and 2 more death for a total of 9.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

:discourse:

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
cobolmyballs

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

VectorSigma posted:

let's see how active the sun is

Yeah, I mean he mentions in the video that the current pandemic and others of recent years have actually been closer to solar minima, I just thought it was interesting that the upper atmosphere is a big rear end soup of bacteria and virii where solar radiation (and maybe even terrestrial in some strange way) could plausibly be correlated or have some meaningful effect.

Could also even be that global climate change causes some unforseen effects in upper atmosphere where we don't even need solar maxima anymore to gently caress our poo poo up. Just crazy to think about how delicate our existence is in this chaotic universe that we barely understand.

But yeah it could be just as likely that our dumbass monkey brain pareidolia acting up again and there's no "pattern" at all.

Also to all the "lol when the space invaders comin?" comments that periodically surface itt: What if corona is the aliens?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

SchrodingersCat posted:

It's like someone telling you it's a little wet outside, and when you look out the window you find that you are in the middle of a lake.

The trend might be showing but the figures are nowhere near reality.

Sort of. They have specific utility in that even if the actual number is off by 10x you can still predict the real peak within like ~8 days. Think of it like polling. You call 500 people and then you extrapolate that out to 300,000,000 people and get pretty close.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

poty posted:

apparently its for the nj unemployment system

I don't remember the specific ones but I think it was also several key federal ones that deal with finance poo poo.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Finicums Wake posted:

i read a really good philosophy of science book which argued that orthodox macroeconomics is much closer to a branch or mathematics (that mathematicians find mathematically uninteresting) than it is to an empirical science. he also argued that, until economists stop trying to derive results from these basic models of human decision-making, there's little hope that macroeconomics will advance in predictive power, which is a key standard we've held other sciences to

the book is called Economics: Mathematical Politics or Science of Diminshing Returns? by alexander rosenberg

The only economists who are honest with themselves imo are the Austrian ones since they flat out admit that their theories are untethered from reality and can never be disproved by objective results.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
the US is insane, is the border between Canada and the US shut down right now? if not we (Canada) should

what the gently caress are you people doing down there

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Do it ironically posted:

the US is insane, is the border between Canada and the US shut down right now? if not we (Canada) should

Freedom

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Durf posted:

whats happening in taiwan

life going on because they're doing everything pretty much the best of any country on the planet right now

Salt Fish posted:

Sort of. They have specific utility in that even if the actual number is off by 10x you can still predict the real peak within like ~8 days. Think of it like polling. You call 500 people and then you extrapolate that out to 300,000,000 people and get pretty close.

we didn't know the more accurate death toll of swine flu until 4-5 years after it happened and it was 10x what they had initially reported

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Do it ironically posted:

nm, what's up with you? :)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Shipon posted:

life going on because they're doing everything pretty much the best of any country on the planet right now

We might all die but at least the computer hardware industry will continue to soldier on

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

can we make a sandwich

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

SchrodingersCat posted:

I really hope someone takes the time down the road to analyze the stats and figure out how many more pneumonia/ARDS deaths there are this year. It's going to be a looooooot.

The current 2.83% fatality is going to make enough waves given how many people are going to get it. We're talking close to three million fatalities labeled COVID if 100 million get it. And when where talking that scale, people are sure as hell going to notice if the real fatality rate is 5% or god forbid, 10%. The scale of the disaster is not going to be a secret.

Top Gun Reference
Oct 9, 2012
Pillbug
Wee dye

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Charlz Guybon posted:

The current 2.83% fatality is going to make enough waves given how many people are going to get it. We're talking close to three million fatalities labeled COVID if 100 million get it. And when where talking that scale, people are sure as hell going to notice if the real fatality rate is 5% or god forbid, 10%. The scale of the disaster is not going to be a secret.

If we do hit those death totals, there won't be official counts. Everyone will be so overwhelmed and there won't be enough tests anyway.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Charlz Guybon posted:

I keep wondering to myself if the real reality is that 25-30 million are going to die and we are going to look back with wild-eyed, manic joker grins at the days when we were talking about 2 million dead being the max

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

poty posted:

lmao it's been pointed out for years how insanely fragile these systems are and how old the workers are getting and how people in charge are just preferring to not think about it instead of deal with it or train new programmers/admins

and along comes boomer remover

this could really gently caress up the global banking system if it hits hard enough