Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Disnesquick posted:

I'm extremely sorry that I asked about beans in chilie. I did not expect it to escalate into a refighting of the colonial wars. I'm sorry everyone.

Jesus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
loving carpet baggers can't even spell chili right.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

you cant model on something you have extremely limited and questionable data about

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
Zerwas in charge is way better of a response than I thought Abbott to be capable of. Also gives Abbott a fall guy I guess

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

He's just in charge of the hospital task force, Hellerstadt at DSHS and Nim Kidd at TDEM are running the show.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
You know things have gotten serious in Galveston County when they finally realize they need to ban the giant ice bin of single beer cans.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

Sampatrick posted:

Central Texas barbecue is overrated and only gets as much attention as it does because it is the style that most white pitmasters in Texas follow. Beef links are just as traditional a part of Texas barbecue joints but you never hear the state media talking about them.

Probably true I guess.

Eventually I found Gattlins BBQ in Houston which appears to be African American owned/run and at the time was a shack in a "bad" part of town (which has since been gentrified to gently caress and back, not even recognizable anymore). It was very good but i guess being in the situation it was in it wasn't as well known. Lots of good options now, but honestly the reason to come to Houston would be for Viet-Cajun food not BBQ.

Also any BBQ place that tries to pass itself off as a good BBQ place because of its sides needs to be shunned.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Rudy's is alright, but it's a chain, and I'm not sure chains (Bar-B-Cutie??) are good suggestions beyond, "Hey what's close to where you live?"

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Disnesquick posted:

I'm extremely sorry that I asked about beans in chilie. I did not expect it to escalate into a refighting of the colonial wars. I'm sorry everyone.

:magemage: Chilly?

Jiro fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Apr 4, 2020

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!
How is Bud's House of Meat in Houston? It's a butcher primarily but it sells barbecue and looks awesome in the pictures. Haven't made it over there yet though

Active Quasar
Feb 22, 2011
The Texas chile wars mean I now sleep with a shotgun under my bed.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Proud Christian Mom posted:

you cant model on something you have extremely limited and questionable data about

At the very least it looks like we’re much less hosed than most other states, and that’s good enough for me

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
It's ramping up. If geography isn't overcome by people clustering at the Walmart's then it should be better here than, say, NYC, but who knows. Even the local Walmart has instituted limiting the number of customers at a time starting tomorrow. That follows HEB, Academy and probably others. It's very much not locked down, but there's now a sense in Guff Coast Texas that this poo poo is headed here fast.

People not perturbed? Disc golf enthusiasts, let me tell you.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

Numlock posted:

Probably true I guess.

Eventually I found Gattlins BBQ in Houston which appears to be African American owned/run and at the time was a shack in a "bad" part of town (which has since been gentrified to gently caress and back, not even recognizable anymore). It was very good but i guess being in the situation it was in it wasn't as well known. Lots of good options now, but honestly the reason to come to Houston would be for Viet-Cajun food not BBQ.

Also any BBQ place that tries to pass itself off as a good BBQ place because of its sides needs to be shunned.

Gatlin’s is my go to place because it’s really drat good without having grabbed the amount of attention as other places so you can actually get some food without a four hour wait. A few years back they built a new place in a strip malls couple miles from their original spot with lots of seating but before that it was a run down house with a couple picnic tables on the porch.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Brazoria County, where Texas began, has put some teeth into enforcement:

LINK

quote:

People hosting quarantine parties and other gatherings of more than 10 people could face criminal charges after county leaders added teeth to their disaster declaration.

The same goes for non-essential businesses or restaurants that break the rules imposed by the state and county in response to the coronavirus pandemic.

Violating the Emerg-ency Manag-ement Plan during a disaster declaration will be a Class B misdemeanor, punishable by up to a $1,000 fine or 180 days in the county jail, under the amendment approved Thursday during a special meeting of the Brazoria County Commissioners’ Court.

Social gatherings exceeding 10 people or opening up bars or restaurants for dine-in services are examples of how someone could violate the Emergency Management Plan, District Attorney Jeri Yenne said.

“The clear-cut things that are obvious to all of us,” she said.
Well, not all of us, Jeri. I mean, clearly. I've definitely seen various rural folks holding quarantine parties, though fewer in the last week.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/MQSullivan/status/1246558178071937024?s=20

i can't believe i beat zoux to this one

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
Zoux have you left the house yet

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Oh I can think of one thing that would make us more happy.

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!

ReindeerF posted:

Oh I can think of one thing that would make us more happy.

Another replay of the 2006 Rose Bowl?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Hawkline posted:

Another replay of the 2006 Rose Bowl?
Too-shay.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Nonsense posted:

Rudy's is alright, but it's a chain, and I'm not sure chains (Bar-B-Cutie??) are good suggestions beyond, "Hey what's close to where you live?"

I'm currently Texan-in-exile up here outside DC, and when co-workers have to travel to Austin for business and want recommendations for "great barbecue" I usually recommend Coopers. It's not the elite-tier Frankin or La Barbecue stuff but I know the location is easy to get to downtown and the line won't be absurd. And while it's merely really well-made chain BBQ so far everyone who has gone has been tremendously impressed.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Cooper's and Black's are both very legit good. And, obviously, corrosively racist, as per this thread.

Side Note: Do you ever go to Hard Times for the Terlingua Red up there? when I lived in Northern Virginia and worked in DC, it was my favorite stupid place to stop and eat. With their diced jalapenos sprinkled on it's pretty good.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

ReindeerF posted:

Cooper's and Black's are both very legit good. And, obviously, corrosively racist, as per this thread.

Side Note: Do you ever go to Hard Times for the Terlingua Red up there? when I lived in Northern Virginia and worked in DC, it was my favorite stupid place to stop and eat. With their diced jalapenos sprinkled on it's pretty good.

Not yet (my diet up here has been almost entirely biryani and kabobs), but that's definitely getting added to the post-quarantine list.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

LanceHunter posted:

Not yet (my diet up here has been almost entirely biryani and kabobs), but that's definitely getting added to the post-quarantine list.
For some reason the mention of biryani, which is not Ethiopian, triggered something in my brain to say, "Don't miss the Ethiopian in Adams Morgan." Extremely legit, assuming they haven't been gentrified out.

</dcrail>

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

ReindeerF posted:

For some reason the mention of biryani, which is not Ethiopian, triggered something in my brain to say, "Don't miss the Ethiopian in Adams Morgan." Extremely legit, assuming they haven't been gentrified out.

</dcrail>

The people who run the Taste of Ethiopia place in pflugerville are related to the owners of Dukem on U St. I want to say sister but I can't recall exactly.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

TropicalCoke posted:

Zoux have you left the house yet

Nope. Three and a half weeks, how long does it take to get to Mars?

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
I'm at 3 weeks and two days, but I'm on a few acres right outside of Denton so it's not the worst.

I really feel for the folks in aparments right now. My brother and his wife in a tiny rental house with two small kids, a dog and two cats.

I've been touching base with all the elderly families in my neighborhood and planting a big garden.

I'm the luckiest immunosuppressed guy in the world right now.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

bird cooch posted:

I've been touching base with all the elderly families in my neighborhood and planting a big garden.
Oh they're on to you, don't worry.

"Why does he keep coming by?"

"He's building a goddamn cemetery! Out there every day planting and landscaping."

"For who?"

"Who do you think, Mildred!?"

"Oh heavens. I better call Lurlene. Her son does security at the Dollar General."

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

bird cooch posted:

I'm at 3 weeks and two days, but I'm on a few acres right outside of Denton so it's not the worst.

I really feel for the folks in aparments right now. My brother and his wife in a tiny rental house with two small kids, a dog and two cats.

I'm sort of in the same boat, house on a corner lot, big front yard big back yard, I have yard work needs doing, I can workout in the backyard. Bbq and grill at leisure if I don't want to cook on the stove, and I check up regularly on my older neighbors via phone, only because the liquor store I work at is essential. But it is nice to just chill in the backyard and keep busy when I get tired of watching movies, shows, or the news.

ReindeerF loving lol

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

I'm having to live vicariously through all of y'all with chill quarantine stories since any time not spent working or sleeping is spent looking after our toddler and baby.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

citybeatnik posted:

I'm having to live vicariously through all of y'all with chill quarantine stories since any time not spent working or sleeping is spent looking after our toddler and baby.

I'm in the same boat, but consider that living it up because I'm a single dad loving every minute of all this extra time me and my son get together.

My ex had to go in and get tested: bam - free week of father/son time and she came back negative so I dont even have to feel guilty about it.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

ReindeerF posted:

Oh they're on to you, don't worry.

"Why does he keep coming by?"

"He's building a goddamn cemetery! Out there every day planting and landscaping."

"For who?"

"Who do you think, Mildred!?"

"Oh heavens. I better call Lurlene. Her son does security at the Dollar General."

I'm sure some of them think that but my neighborhood it's pretty United against the two houses that put out Trump and Cruz signs. We have our own all caps group chat.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

FoolyCharged posted:

I'm in the same boat, but consider that living it up because I'm a single dad loving every minute of all this extra time me and my son get together.

My ex had to go in and get tested: bam - free week of father/son time and she came back negative so I dont even have to feel guilty about it.

Yeah i've taken to doing half-days so my wife can work full time and it's nice to spend more time with the two of them. It'd be easier if it was one or the other but we're making it work.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I wish they'd let us stop going in and exposing ourselves. We're the least essential 'essential' people in the state. And about 33% of us use public transit.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
i love this insanely cool state

https://twitter.com/ScottGottliebMD/status/1247011633135849477

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I've heard the same from within the medical community, though it's not down to hiding anything. There's just a huge gap between testing coverage in the nation's 4th most populous (soon to be third, maybe, if this doesn't make a dent) city which also holds the distinction of being the nation's only major city that ranks in the top 10 in geographic size. Still, given that it has the busiest medical center in the world, or at least that's the claim, it's a total failure that Houston cannot keep up in testing. My guess is that the TMC groups, who are always in political battles against one another, have failed to work together to address the epidemiological concern, which would fit with their increasingly profit-driven mandates (as not for profit entities by mandate/charter) over the last several decades. Even Turner a week or two back said something like, look, I can't get accurate data, so if I'm told we have 250 cases, I assume we have 2,500. That's where it is, sadly.

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

bird cooch posted:

My brother is renovating his house in central Austin, walking distance from me, to move to Leander in the summer. And he moved his wife and three young kids into a two bedroom apartment nearby so the oldest one could still go to school nearby until the school year ended. So now AISD is shut down and they're stuck in a two-bedroom apartment. I can't imagine how they're handling it.

I'm in two a bedroom apartment, a little less than 900 sq ft, but just with my fiancee and two cats. I both am extremely jealous of people with yards right now (only have a handful of potted plants) and feel blessed compared to my friends and colleagues who live in smaller one bedroom apartments with partners and pets. Especially our friends in Seattle and NYC, in even tinier spaces. My fiancee set up a desk in the living room and I hold court in the middle bedroom. We're living decadently here.

We ended up finally assembling a tall storage shelf for our tiny outdoor closet, and then I have been on a mission for months to get extremely organized. So our fridge kind of limits how much fresh food we can buy, meaning we can't hole up forever, but we've managed our space well otherwise.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
https://twitter.com/TheStalwart/status/1247112597486350339

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

bird cooch posted:

Man I can't get anything to grow in Colin county. I got spoiled with south louisiana's soil and water. It was stupid easy to grow pretty much anything. You could do it by accident. Oyster Mushrooms are the only thing I have been able to grow in texas, ironically, because you barely need the sun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Mistaken Frisbee posted:

My brother is renovating his house in central Austin, walking distance from me, to move to Leander in the summer. And he moved his wife and three young kids into a two bedroom apartment nearby so the oldest one could still go to school nearby until the school year ended. So now AISD is shut down and they're stuck in a two-bedroom apartment. I can't imagine how they're handling it.

I'm in two a bedroom apartment, a little less than 900 sq ft, but just with my fiancee and two cats. I both am extremely jealous of people with yards right now (only have a handful of potted plants) and feel blessed compared to my friends and colleagues who live in smaller one bedroom apartments with partners and pets. Especially our friends in Seattle and NYC, in even tinier spaces. My fiancee set up a desk in the living room and I hold court in the middle bedroom. We're living decadently here.

We ended up finally assembling a tall storage shelf for our tiny outdoor closet, and then I have been on a mission for months to get extremely organized. So our fridge kind of limits how much fresh food we can buy, meaning we can't hole up forever, but we've managed our space well otherwise.

Man we have a hard enough time with two little ones in our place - adding another one in to the mix with even less space is just something my mind can't compute.