Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

limeicebreakers posted:

Wow, thanks for all the responses (especially King of Solomon for the breakdown)!

The last time I played Yugioh was the World Championship 2008 game on the DS, which was pre-Synchros. Aside from the card codes, you could buy booster packs with in-game currency you accumulated from winning duels. I sort of assumed that was the case for Link Evolution, guess I was wrong!

To be clear, you absolutely earn in-game currency that you use the buy boosters, it's just instead of real boosters it's an anime character. And each booster has WAY too many cards in them.

quote:

I'm hoping that the steady progrsssion of a game with a story mode + steadily increasing range of options will help me catch up with modern rules and mechanics, but the grindy nature of obtaining new cards is making me kind of hesitant on getting the game. Is it hard to get a consistent deck in the beginning unless you're lucky?

The story is broken up between each individual anime. So if there's any given mechanic you want to learn, you pretty much just need to play the first match in the associated anime's story. Beyond that, even an incompetent deck built with VRAINS-era cards will make a mockery out of DM/GX era decks, so you have plenty of time to practice.

It's not too hard to get a consistent deck at all. What IS harder is getting specific cards or archetypes. If you just want to build a deck to learn the mechanics and build up a massive currency pool, just buy a bunch of Yusaku packs, play the VRAINS tutorial, and have fun with the DM story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

Cool, thanks again for the clarification! I'll be picking the game up then. Between it and Animal Crossing in a month I'll be squeezing a lot more use out of the Switch. :awesomelon:

Iceblocks
Jan 5, 2013
Taco Defender
After watching Arc-V last summer I finally decided to play around in YGOPro. I built a Skull Servants deck because I read that they are friendly to beginners. My current deck is this:

Monsters
3x Skull Servants.
3x Wightprince.
3x Wightprincess.
3x Lady In Wight.
3x King of the Skull Servants.
2x Wightmare.
2x Uni-Zombie.
2x Mezuki.
2x Gozuki.
1x Rainbow Kuriboh.
1x Dark Grepher.

Spells
3x Allure Of Darkness.
3x Dark World Dealings.
3x Burial From A Different Dimension.
2x Polymerization.
1x Foolish Burial.
1x One For One.

Traps
2 x Gravity Bind

Extra Deck
3x Leviair the Sea Dragon.
2x Dragonecro Nethersoul Dragon.
2x First Of The Dragons.
2x Beelze of the Diabolic Dragons.
2x Void Ogre Dragon.

I am having fun playing with it, but is there anything I should change?

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
1: There is no reason not to run a book of life or monster reborn. Cut down on a burial perhaps.
2: Dragon's Mirror can be used to summon both Draconecro and first of dragons, by banishing from field or graveyard. More Utility than a simple Poly.
3: Gravity Bind is too limited with XYZs and Link monsters. Either Try some Solemn traps or Handtraps. Other floodgates do not work with your deck since you do not just run zombies or dark monsters only.
4: Called by the grave x2. Your deck fears the ash blossom.
5: Do not repeat monsters in the extra deck so much, try for more of a toolbox approach. Monsters you should consider are Psyframe Omega (recycle from the banishment zone o the grave your mezukis, Wightprinces etc), Black Rose Dragon (still a nice nuke), F.E Dawn Dragster or Void Ogre Dragon for Spell negation, Trishula (still loving amazing), linkkuriboh (you have many lv 1s, why not) , Vampire Sucker or Weewitch as decent link 2 options, and an Option to go over most threats in the game (Borrelload or Borrelsword Dragon).

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Also a fun tech card for Skull Servants is Opti-Camoflage Armor. I wouldn't necessarily run it in that build, but if you wind up modifying it quite a bit give it a looksee.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Get Zombie World and Super Poly in there somewhere. Nothing beats taking your opponent's field and them not being able to do anything about it.

Iceblocks
Jan 5, 2013
Taco Defender

Rudoku posted:

Get Zombie World and Super Poly in there somewhere. Nothing beats taking your opponent's field and them not being able to do anything about it.

JamMasterJim posted:

1: There is no reason not to run a book of life or monster reborn. Cut down on a burial perhaps.
2: Dragon's Mirror can be used to summon both Draconecro and first of dragons, by banishing from field or graveyard. More Utility than a simple Poly.
3: Gravity Bind is too limited with XYZs and Link monsters. Either Try some Solemn traps or Handtraps. Other floodgates do not work with your deck since you do not just run zombies or dark monsters only.
4: Called by the grave x2. Your deck fears the ash blossom.
5: Do not repeat monsters in the extra deck so much, try for more of a toolbox approach. Monsters you should consider are Psyframe Omega (recycle from the banishment zone o the grave your mezukis, Wightprinces etc), Black Rose Dragon (still a nice nuke), F.E Dawn Dragster or Void Ogre Dragon for Spell negation, Trishula (still loving amazing), linkkuriboh (you have many lv 1s, why not) , Vampire Sucker or Weewitch as decent link 2 options, and an Option to go over most threats in the game (Borrelload or Borrelsword Dragon).

Senerio posted:

Also a fun tech card for Skull Servants is Opti-Camoflage Armor. I wouldn't necessarily run it in that build, but if you wind up modifying it quite a bit give it a looksee.

Thanks! I'll try some of these out.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So SEVENS has officially begun... and I don't hate it.

First off, the theme song is pretty good. Ska/Jazz is not what I was expecting, and I could listen to that thing on loop. The music is good and the singer is even better, he melts into that performance. The end theme is hot garbage, however.

The characters are all likable and fill perfect roles. Yuga wants to buck the system and by beating Hologram Man does, Luke wants to help buck that system and comes with a freaky electrical aura, Gakuto is by-the-book but never lets that stop him from being of help, and Romin is literally too cool for school.

The dueling mechanic is lame, though. First, I don't like the art on the Rush Duel cards, way too many liberties taken from the traditional cards (then again, so were the Pendulum cards I also hate). Second, I don't like how the "new" versions of old monsters don't have new art applied to them like we've always done for reimagined monsters in the past. Giving more credit to Normal monsters like Synchro did was a good idea, but it really doesn't help when they have to be these special Rush Duel versions of Normal monsters...

There's a lot of growing it has to do, but it's off to a soild start.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Is the first episode subbed? I remember VRAINS had official subs but I can't find anything about SEVENS.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

Is the first episode subbed? I remember VRAINS had official subs but I can't find anything about SEVENS.

Yes, I believe it’s on Crunchyroll now (it’s also up on places like Kissanime and the like if you can’t find it there). I know a subbed version exists at least as that’s what I watched.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

It's not on Crunchyroll. As far as I can tell it's not getting any kind of English release for the time being.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Vandar posted:

It's not on Crunchyroll. As far as I can tell it's not getting any kind of English release for the time being.

Huh, must have been a fansubbed release then. I’m just saying, a subbed version is out there somewhere.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Man, I wanna at least try to care about Sevens, but I just. Don't. I think the one-two punch of Arc-V and MR4 really broke me for good.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

MJeff posted:

Man, I wanna at least try to care about Sevens, but I just. Don't. I think the one-two punch of Arc-V and MR4 really broke me for good.

Well, Master Rule 4 is not a thing anymore, so maybe...Sevens could be good?

I mean it probably won't be because all YGO anime are heavily flawed and have either terrible beginnings or terrible endings, but who knows, maybe this will be the one that manages to keep a consistent quality!

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Blaze Dragon posted:

I mean it probably won't be because all YGO anime are heavily flawed and have either terrible beginnings or terrible endings, but who knows, maybe this will be the one that manages to keep a consistent quality!

It's a show about a gimmick format, so I'm not about to get my hopes up. I get that the regular format card game is too fast paced for a weekly 25 minute show (VRAINS did a great job of showing that), but I dunno about this. We'll see.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Blaze Dragon posted:

I would argue that VRAINS managed to keep a consistent quality, it's just that the quality was boring and bad. Never really reaching any highs or going below any lows, just maintaining a boring middle. :geno:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I'm looking for the Sevens subs and can't find them. I'm finding places that say they have them, but then there's nothing there. Hm. :/

Electric Phantasm posted:

I would argue that VRAINS managed to keep a consistent quality, it's just that the quality was boring and bad. Never really reaching any highs or going below any lows, just maintaining a boring middle. :geno:

Season three of VRAINS fuckin' ruled. :colbert: Pity it got cut short and the rest of the show was trash.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The Yu-Gi-Oh animes will continue to be plagued by inconsistency until Konami's cowardice ends and they greenlight the Duel Terminal anime.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Vandar posted:

I'm looking for the Sevens subs and can't find them. I'm finding places that say they have them, but then there's nothing there. Hm. :/

Season three of VRAINS fuckin' ruled. :colbert: Pity it got cut short and the rest of the show was trash.

If all else fails you could always stream it off sites like Kissanime and the like (that’s where I initially found it anyway)

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Vandar posted:

It's on Nyaa.si. That said, the subs are speedsubs with noticeable errors and low quality video, so I'm not sure if it wouldn't be better to just wait for a better translation.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

King of Solomon posted:

It's a show about a gimmick format, so I'm not about to get my hopes up. I get that the regular format card game is too fast paced for a weekly 25 minute show (VRAINS did a great job of showing that), but I dunno about this. We'll see.

It's a problem that compounds on itself. One of the main goals of anime duels is to showcase iconic monsters, but because the pace of the game since GX era means monsters don't stay on the field longer than a single turn, you run into the problem of needing to come up with excuses to keep monsters on the field. The solution they usually come up with is writing (and often printing!) needlessly specific trap cards that only work in that scenario and are destined to be pack filler. Which creates a new problem of "our character's hand is empty now since all they had was their combo to summon their boss monster and one or two mostly useless traps, how do we stretch this out another 10 minutes", and then you end up having draw cards they can never print because they're too powerful, or recovery cards nobody ever uses because they're bricks on turn 1.

Arc-V dealt with these problems well with action duels just giving people free protection when it was plot relevant, and Sevens' rush duels looks like it also gets around this problem by just having players draw until they have 5 cards in their hand at the start of each turn. I guess it remains to be seen if that makes for compelling anime.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Speed World 2 was a fair compromise, I thought and I wouldn't have minded seeing it expanded upon further.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Yeah, it's all fansubs right now and some people figuring out how to start a group to coordinate better for it.

The first point I want to take is that Rush Duels are good and need to replace the regular duels irl.
The main thing with Rush Duels that makes them good for television is that they trim out almost all the fat. Since you can do infinite normal summons and you start your turn with 5 hands, there is no need for spamming effects that let you summon a ton of times to fill the field to get a boss monster, nor do you need cards that let you draw more with obtuse conditions or protection effects. It let the first duel feel dynamic, full, and fast.

Goha Corporation is oppressive in a very real way. It's basically like if Samsung/Apple were... well, it just feels like a very Near Future threat where your account is connected to a ton of devices and services, constantly spying data and meaning you lack freedom since getting banned would lock you out of a ton of things. Yuga has managed 5/6 strikes on his account, only one is due to trying to hack his duel disk. This oppression is further pushed with kids trying to just trade cards and a drone comes by to stop them because all trades need to authenticated via Goha, like when the Xbox One tried to pull that always online stuff.

That leads into characters who are repressed; the girl clearly loves duels but she hides it for some reason, class rep is super into Yuga's hacks and tech but has to abide by the rules.

The first episode kinda takes the mold of rush duels, it pushes most of the secondary stuff away in favor of getting the atmosphere and action in the forefront, and that's cool. Edgelord-kun has some sorta super power that he can use twice a day, but everyone ignored him when he tried to explain. We're not sure why the girl is hiding her love for duels, but that'll come out soon, too. And it seems the mystery for now is why a Goha engineer left a "back entrance" to the duel disk technology.

Fun characters, dynamic duels, and a crusade against brands makes this a very interesting watch. I really hope it'll end up like VRAINS where some folks were just dragging their feet and official simulcast starts a month in.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I’m not terribly interested because rush duels look really boring.

What a weird gimmick that most likely won’t survive the season, hopefully the mid season change up is more interesting

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

CharlestheHammer posted:

I’m not terribly interested because rush duels look really boring.

What a weird gimmick that most likely won’t survive the season, hopefully the mid season change up is more interesting

They're making a whole separate format/card game for rush duels. It's gonna be the biggest flop.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Personally I think Rush duels seem refreshing and fun compared to most of the formats of modern Yugioh, so I wouldn't sell it so short. However, with the global pandemic going on absolutely devastating the TCG industry, not to mention the product is currently OCG only, it's not in a good spot yeah.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Julias posted:

Personally I think Rush duels seem refreshing and fun compared to most of the formats of modern Yugioh, so I wouldn't sell it so short. However, with the global pandemic going on absolutely devastating the TCG industry, not to mention the product is currently OCG only, it's not in a good spot yeah.

It might be a fun side thing but the fact that it's going to have it's own printed line of cards specifically for rush duels is uh...really really dumb. Like the thing keeping the whole brand afloat are people into the card game and you're saying "Okay now go buy this separate thing (While we also sell you normal duel variants of the new stuff) we promise you'll love it." That they're using their main vector for marketting new cards and gimmicks for it it's...perplexing.

it's like if 5D's speed world was a whole separate card game they tried to sell you on top of normal YGO. And this is the, what, 3rd faster variant they've come up with and will probably be dropped like they were but with the added caveat of "Now you have bunch of cards that are useless, okay bye!" when Lightspeed duels get added in 2 years.

It's such a weird way to do this.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
How the hell can you even have faster Yugioh at this point when games are over in 2 turns

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

TheKingofSprings posted:

How the hell can you even have faster Yugioh at this point when games are over in 2 turns

Because turn length is not equal to length of a turn. Rush duels don't currently accommodate for reusing effects over and over and endless special summons to create an impenetrable "break my board" playstyle. Compared to how often modern yugioh feels like solitaire, the rush duels are closer to early duel links or GX/5Ds/Zexal era yugioh levels of interaction.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Those games didn’t really have interactive experiences outside people nostalgic for casual play.

Ironically the game now is the most interactive considering how control oriented the current format is especially with Nibiru and dark ruler no more around neutering combo decks

Though Rush dueling seems to want to mimic that non existent past and well it will fail.

Like all the others

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Apr 5, 2020

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

The only thing good about Rush Duels as a whole is maybe we can get more duels per episode.

Other than that, they're kind of dumb and the good rules from it will probably be merged into MR6 anyway.

The characters, on the other hand, are good. I like Rook (Luke? Maybe?) and Sougetsu are great though. Romin is kind of...boring. Even with her "I'm gonna be mysterious and pretend to not like Duels but I know a lot about them and am just playing stupid" shtick. She's probably gonna end up being like Sora from ARC-V.

Also how are these large children supposed to be in elementary school???

I hope they never explain Rook/Luke's demon powers until like the last episode and it's the most mundane explanation ever. That would be hilarious for Yu-Gi-Oh considering everything has to be dramatic or super powerful or something.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Id have hopes for Rush Duel if it wasnt for the pandemic. Itd still be in a rough spot, but rebooting the card game is needed, and this format looks fun enough to pull it maybe... But not in the current state of the world.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

MorningMoon posted:

Id have hopes for Rush Duel if it wasnt for the pandemic. Itd still be in a rough spot, but rebooting the card game is needed, and this format looks fun enough to pull it maybe... But not in the current state of the world.

I don't think rebooting the card game is needed, especially since the whole thing that made YGO more interesting than say MTG is that they will revisit to stupidest possible archetypes and add support a decade later.

Like skull servant.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I don't think rebooting the card game is needed, especially since the whole thing that made YGO more interesting than say MTG is that they will revisit to stupidest possible archetypes and add support a decade later.

Like skull servant.

Boo this man.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Yeah stuff like set rotation is fine but at that point it’s just becoming like any other card game.

Yu gi oh definitely has room for improvements and fixes but I think people have got to accept that at it’s core it is what it is and that ain’t changing

Like Pokémon which has carved it’s own niche

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

JamMasterJim posted:

Boo this man.

This woman is correct. I'm sorry, YGO should be YGO cause that's what makes it cool and fun, instead of trying to constantly reformat itself into something new or chasing the formats of other card games.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

This woman is correct. I'm sorry, YGO should be YGO cause that's what makes it cool and fun, instead of trying to constantly reformat itself into something new or chasing the formats of other card games.

What does 'Ygo should be ygo' even mean, and how does support for older archetypes, competitive or not go against that?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

JamMasterJim posted:

What does 'Ygo should be ygo' even mean, and how does support for older archetypes, competitive or not go against that?

You read the exact opposite of what I was saying from my post. The support of old poo poo is part of YGO and what makes it fun and neat and I was using that to compare it to the idea of rebooting it in some way and doing away with the old poo poo or the idea of set rotation like MTG does.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

You read the exact opposite of what I was saying from my post. The support of old poo poo is part of YGO and what makes it fun and neat and I was using that to compare it to the idea of rebooting it in some way and doing away with the old poo poo or the idea of set rotation like MTG does.

I did misread your post and we are in agreement on that aspect. Still booing for calling Skull servant stupid though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
So what exactly are the different "Yu-Gi-Oh but faster" formats, and how do they differ? And where does Duel Links fit into all of this?