Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Butt muh modders rites

E: this is a snipe and it is also the most true summation of nearly 9 years of this shits reaction to SA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

StealthArcher posted:

Butt muh modders rites

E: this is a snipe and it is also the most true summation of nearly 9 years of this shits reaction to SA.

lol Nice. Plus+ is still the best Minecraft mod pack

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Rutibex posted:

lol Nice. Plus+ is still the best Minecraft mod pack

That's plus multi, my, squirrelo and KoLs fork of your pack to 1.4.2

(Plus+ was still good tho)

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

StealthArcher posted:

That's plus multi, my, squirrelo and KoLs fork of your pack to 1.4.2

(Plus+ was still good tho)

Jesus loving Christ, thank you! I've been trying to remember what the gently caress I played lo those many eons ago, it was Plus*. Someone explain what that screenshot is though? Is that a joke from the Plus+ people?

FAKE EDIT: Wait, weren't the "sanctions" blowing up all your BC/IC machines and generators with super-TNT or some poo poo?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
That's actually unrelated modpack drama, most of which can be found in the second post of this thread. That sort of thing isn't as prevalent anymore, thankfully.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
The older ones were the best. I can't remember which version of the game this was, or if it was a Plus pack or a Toast pack but it was the best pack :)

I remember always running out of power and having to keep building more and more turbines

And bigger reactors

Multiple bigger reactors!

Until I build one so big it crashed the game of anyone that came within a mile of my base and I had to get the server owner to nuke it from orbit :shobon:

^ That road actually lead to IronClaymore's awesome base.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

D34THROW posted:

Jesus loving Christ, thank you! I've been trying to remember what the gently caress I played lo those many eons ago, it was Plus*. Someone explain what that screenshot is though? Is that a joke from the Plus+ people?

FAKE EDIT: Wait, weren't the "sanctions" blowing up all your BC/IC machines and generators with super-TNT or some poo poo?

Those sanctions in that picture were from covertjaguar, long rest his literal attempt to sue me, making all your railcraft boilers zero out to dead no matter how much fuel you fed them.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

StealthArcher posted:

Those sanctions in that picture were from covertjaguar, long rest his literal attempt to sue me, making all your railcraft boilers zero out to dead no matter how much fuel you fed them.

did he *genuinely* think he was going to successfully sue you or was it all a massive bluff?

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

E-Tank posted:

did he *genuinely* think he was going to successfully sue you or was it all a massive bluff?

He did DMCA the server and that regardless of the authenticty of the DMCA or not, just the threat of one was enough to get the multiplayer server taken down by the provider.

Edit:

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Ak Gara posted:

The older ones were the best. I can't remember which version of the game this was, or if it was a Plus pack or a Toast pack but it was the best pack :)

I remember always running out of power and having to keep building more and more turbines

And bigger reactors

Multiple bigger reactors!

Until I build one so big it crashed the game of anyone that came within a mile of my base and I had to get the server owner to nuke it from orbit :shobon:

^ That road actually lead to IronClaymore's awesome base.

This was Never Stop Toasting, the pack (and server) that got me into playing modded Minecraft for the first time. I visited that base, it was sweet.

This is what I made on that server:

(Latter image showing an IRC client running on the main computer, with the other two for running my Stargate control program and some other monitoring programs)

My XXL Pants pack was basically directly inspired by NST and the fact that it had pretty much everything (except like IC2 and Buildcraft and such). No other goon packs being quite so thorough is what made me want to make my own. Also Goon Labs was loving amazing and I love that idea.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Apr 4, 2020

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Black Pants posted:

This was Never Stop Toasting, the pack (and server) that got me into playing modded Minecraft for the first time. I visited that base, it was sweet.

Was that the server where the blutonium converter was bugged to crash the server and I placed one in that early communal base unaware of the fact? Seems like forever ago... Or was that the 1.7.10 Disasterpiece Theatre server? Such fond memories of using Technomancy to create nodes the size of a sun that clipped through everything and then using Blood Magic teleposers to gift one to an unsuspecting someone.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ambaire posted:

Was that the server where the blutonium converter was bugged to crash the server and I placed one in that early communal base unaware of the fact? Seems like forever ago... Or was that the 1.7.10 Disasterpiece Theatre server? Such fond memories of using Technomancy to create nodes the size of a sun that clipped through everything and then using Blood Magic teleposers to gift one to an unsuspecting someone.

I don't remember that, but I do remember the sun-nodes, they were fun.

I guess it must've been the same server I Shard of Laputa'd up a floating island and then tried to cover the entire underside with Sky Blocks which tanked the fps of anyone looking in its direction though. Also still left a giant shadow underneath it.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Apr 4, 2020

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I've always wanted a fusion of KeepCraft and Disasterpiece Theatre where two teams of goons build nuclear-armed fortresses.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Eox posted:

I've always wanted a fusion of KeepCraft and Disasterpiece Theatre where two teams of goons build nuclear-armed fortresses.

Disasterpiece Theatre is still around, albeit in a ull between major packs. We're farting around on a 1.7.10 "throwback" pack as well as a 1.12.2 "smolpack".

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

MaliciousOnion posted:

Larger packs can take multiple minutes to load from that screen. I usually fire up YouTube and watch a 10-minute video or two while I wait.

Make sure you're allocating enough RAM as well, if you haven't already. I think the Twitch launcher defaults to 4GB, which isn't enough for many packs. This is done somewhere in the Twitch launcher settings.

For some reason I thought it would call the amount of ram it needed but it also didn't have optifine stock so welp. I guess I'll have a look around for mod settings, but it's an unpleasant platform. I'm surprised some packs take so long now, but I've always stayed away from the kitchen sink packs in the past.

I tried a version on technic that launched after a substantial wait but it just stuttered so maybe it isn't gonna really matter.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012
So the new FTB launcher is out. Has anyone tried out the new pack they released with it?

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'd play on a throwback 1.7.10 server if it had Thaumcraft with every addon, AM2, OpenComputers etc. Basically what NST was. :P

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Someone should update all of the different versions of Thaumcraft to all work on the same version of Minecraft, than make a mod pack out of it. Just Thaumcrafts, nothing else.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Thaumcraft 2 was the only good thaumcraft

Black Pants posted:

I'd play on a throwback 1.7.10 server if it had Thaumcraft with every addon, AM2, OpenComputers etc. Basically what NST was. :P

I will poke spaig about the computers, but the rest is very much present

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

StealthArcher posted:

Thaumcraft 2 was the only good thaumcraft

I knew it! Someone other than me loves 1.2.5 best. I'm not insane!

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Rutibex posted:

Lots of other stuff got better Rootin Tootin TexMex.

But yes, TC2 best you were right on that one.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Even with the absolutely garbage research mechanic Thaumcraft 4 was still my favorite, purely for Automagy.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Rutibex posted:

I still love the version of thaumcraft and other mods in Ye Olde Yogbox.
Also of note: I don't know if it's possible to play yogbox anymore because mojang is slowly getting rid of downloads for old versions of minecraft.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

SugarAddict posted:

Also of note: I don't know if it's possible to play yogbox anymore because mojang is slowly getting rid of downloads for old versions of minecraft.

:ninja:
I donno about you, but I have a version of 1.2.5 minecraft that going to continue running no matter what Microsoft says.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I miss the old Witches & More mod from Plus Sigma. I believe it was a parent adding things at the direction of their kid and it owned.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
TC2 was the best version and I completely disregard the mod entirely now and can't believe people haven't just gotten sick of it. I usually set up a void bag or something for all it's common drops and ignore the poo poo out of it these days.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Eox posted:

I miss the old Witches & More mod from Plus Sigma. I believe it was a parent adding things at the direction of their kid and it owned.

Witches And More, Cogs, and the eternal Battle of Redstone Weapon

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
In 1.12 and upward, I could never loving understand how making new spawners work until now and it only took 2 hours of crawling though youtube videos. My understanding is you can't spawn in spawners anymore with the correct mob in it. you have to plop down the spawner then use a spawn egg on it to get it spawning the correct thing.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

StealthArcher posted:

Witches And More, Cogs, and the eternal Battle of Redstone Weapon

I remember at the tail end of Sigma I was a demigod charging between extremely lucrative battle towers on my golden chocobo and I have spent years trying to recapture that experience.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Eox posted:

I remember at the tail end of Sigma I was a demigod charging between extremely lucrative battle towers on my golden chocobo and I have spent years trying to recapture that experience.

I'm getting there in MC Eternal. It takes some serious damage to even hurt me at all, and I've got like 6 blue hearts? Mostly from eating foods. I caught a hippocampus in a mob ball so I'm gonna try and train that into a flying mount next.

The most reliable thing to hurt me is the live wires coming off the alternator powering the base :science:

Light Gun Man fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Apr 5, 2020

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
whats the new hotness in quest mod packs?

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Light Gun Man posted:

I'm getting there in MC Eternal. It takes some serious damage to even hurt me at all, and I've got like 6 blue hearts? Mostly from eating foods. I caught a hippocampus in a mob ball so I'm gonna try and train that into a flying mount next.

The most reliable thing to hurt me is the live wires coming off the alternator powering the base :science:

There isn't a hard limit on how many hearts you can get by eating different foods. I have mine set on like 180 or something and is adjustable in the config but it's a bit annoying to do so, I need to extend it. I have dark pink hearts or something so I have 80+ hearts I think?

Edit: You WILL NEED ALL THOSE HEARTS. The underdark mobs hit for 4x damage or something, and there are ALOT of bosses that can instagib you for 20 hearts of damage or something silly.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

I keep seeing MC Eternal come up but I don't think I've seen anyone say what its gimmick is. Is it just a new big pack or does it have something cool going on?

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Patware posted:

I keep seeing MC Eternal come up but I don't think I've seen anyone say what its gimmick is. Is it just a new big pack or does it have something cool going on?

It's just a big kitchen sink pack I think? It has mods like minecolonies and steves carts in there which I think really shouldn't belong in there.

I don't have anything against those two mods, it's just they're the two mods I can think of off the top of my head that are just overlapped by everything else in there.
And minecolonies is a rather CPU/memory heavy mod on it's own.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
MineColonies is a lot of fun, I've decided to conscript all of my villagers by steadily making their jobs obsolete via automation. The gates of my village are guarded by a rat with 500 health.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

SugarAddict posted:

There isn't a hard limit on how many hearts you can get by eating different foods. I have mine set on like 180 or something and is adjustable in the config but it's a bit annoying to do so, I need to extend it. I have dark pink hearts or something so I have 80+ hearts I think?

Edit: You WILL NEED ALL THOSE HEARTS. The underdark mobs hit for 4x damage or something, and there are ALOT of bosses that can instagib you for 20 hearts of damage or something silly.

Our current setting is at 26 total hearts gained via food, I do wish it would go higher, yeah. Might bug the server owner to bump it up. Any advice on that?

Patware posted:

kitchen sink-ish plus a lot of quests, and a store you can buy items from with tokens received from said quests. some things have changed recipes that kind of suck (modular power suits is kind of awful in ver 1.3.3 maybe it's better in the newer versions, dunno). there's other changes like having certain ores only appearing in certain dimensions, and the twilight forest seems to spawn dragons more often?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Rutibex, how much did you playtest your modpack, exactly? There's something that occasionally prevents me from actually hitting mobs. I suspect Infernal Mobs, but it doesn't look like there are any new modifiers. Also what the gently caress man, ALL of the infernal mobs modifiers are active? Did you not know that Rust is incompatible with a lot of RF-powered gear, and Ninja/Vengeance is universally despised? Oh, and Sticky. STICKY. To make matters worse you can't actually SEE the modifiers on mobs half the time, partially due to UI clutter but also because for some reason Infernal Mobs doesn't try to display them from long range anymore? You have to be really close.

Despite this, I didn't honestly have any trouble whatsoever with combat until I got bumrushed by a super-fast Husk wearing diamond gear (including helmet so it didn't burn in the sun) that disabled my weapon as stated previously, then spawncamped me since Infernal Mobs is the trolliest of troll mods and prevents despawn of any infernal mob that has killed a player. The armor from the space marine pack is very strong so you can just use an iron sword to kill almost everything, especially since there's no HP scaling on the infernal mob settings for some reason.

It seems like the only challenge to this challenge pack is Infernal Mobs (and blood moon I guess but that's just mandated downtime), yet you spent zero effort making them a balanced challenge. I think I'm done giving it a chance.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

McFrugal posted:

Rutibex, how much did you playtest your modpack, exactly? There's something that occasionally prevents me from actually hitting mobs. I suspect Infernal Mobs, but it doesn't look like there are any new modifiers. Also what the gently caress man, ALL of the infernal mobs modifiers are active? Did you not know that Rust is incompatible with a lot of RF-powered gear, and Ninja/Vengeance is universally despised? Oh, and Sticky. STICKY. To make matters worse you can't actually SEE the modifiers on mobs half the time, partially due to UI clutter but also because for some reason Infernal Mobs doesn't try to display them from long range anymore? You have to be really close.

Despite this, I didn't honestly have any trouble whatsoever with combat until I got bumrushed by a super-fast Husk wearing diamond gear (including helmet so it didn't burn in the sun) that disabled my weapon as stated previously, then spawncamped me since Infernal Mobs is the trolliest of troll mods and prevents despawn of any infernal mob that has killed a player. The armor from the space marine pack is very strong so you can just use an iron sword to kill almost everything, especially since there's no HP scaling on the infernal mob settings for some reason.

It seems like the only challenge to this challenge pack is Infernal Mobs (and blood moon I guess but that's just mandated downtime), yet you spent zero effort making them a balanced challenge. I think I'm done giving it a chance.

I'm sorry its not for you. What sort of equipment did you build to try and survive better? I assume you didn't just try and iron man everything with the starting gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Rutibex posted:

I'm sorry its not for you. What sort of equipment did you build to try and survive better? I assume you didn't just try and iron man everything with the starting gear.

Build with what? This was like an hour into the pack. I didn't have anything else.