Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
That’s fair, and maybe that wasn’t the vest way to phrase it either. I just went from not really caring about the characters or story to getting pretty emotional out of nowhere because of a specific emotional moment even though it wasn’t relevant to my life.

Thought the opening montage of Up certainly backs up the initial statement :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
“Turbo Kid” 5/5 just an absolute blast with a good heart and a dope soundtrack.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Haven't updated in a while. * denotes films I found most outstanding

A River Called Titas (1973, Ritwik Ghatak) [Blu-ray]
Dry Summer (1963, Metin Erksan) [Blu-ray]*
Manila in the Claws of Light (1975, Lino Brocka) [Blu-ray]*
Limite (1931, Mario Peixoto) [Blu-ray]
Mysterious Object at Noon (2000, Apichatpong Weerasethakul) [Blu-ray]
Law of the Border (1966, Lufti Akad) [Blu-ray]
Insiang (1976, Lino Brocka) [Blu-ray]*
Taipei Story (1985, Edward Yang) [Blu-ray]*
Revenge (1989) [Blu-ray]
Fishing with John (1991, John Lurie) [DVD]
Inside Llewyn Davis (2013, Ethan Coen/Joel Coen) [Blu-ray]*
Letter Never Sent (1960, Mikhail Kalatazov) [Blu-ray]*
The Age of Innocence (1993, Martin Scorsese) [Blu-ray]*
Forty Guns (1957, Samuel Fuller) [Blu-ray]
A Fuller Life (2013, Samantha Fuller) [Blu-ray]
The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (1957, ) [Criterion Channel]
Paris is Burning (1990, Jennie Livingston) [Blu-ray]*
Yi Yi (2000, Edward Yang) [Blu-ray]*
It Happened In Hollywood (1937, Henry Lachman) [Blu-ray]
Adventure in Sahara (1938, ) [Blu-ray]
Power of the Press (1943, ) [Blu-ray]
Shockproof (1949, Douglas Sirk) [Blu-ray]
Scandal Sheet (1952, ) [Blu-ray]
The Crimson Kimono (1959, Samuel Fuller) [Blu-ray]
Underworld U.S.A. (1961, Samuel Fuller) [Blu-ray]
Night Tide (1961, Curtis Harrington) [Indicator Blu-ray]
Port of Shadows (1938, Marcel Carne) [Blu-ray]
Razzia pur la chnouf (1955, Henri Decoin) [Blu-ray]
Je T’Aime, Je T’Aime (1968, Alain Resnais) [Blu-ray]
Oscar (1991, John Landis) [Blu-ray]
The Pied Piper (1972, Jacques Demy) [Blu-ray]
Kundun (1997, Martin Scorsese) [Blu-ray]
Scarlet Street (1945, Fritz Lang) [Blu-ray]*
Prizzi’s Honor (1985, John Huston) [Blu-ray]
Moana (1926/1976, Robert Flaherty) [Blu-ray]
Sunset in the West (1950, William Witney) [Blu-ray]
Buffalo Bill and the Indiana, or Sitting Bull’s History Lesson (1976, Robert Altman) [Blu-ray]
They Shoot Horses, Don’t They? (1969, Sydney Pollack) [Blu-ray]*
The Children’s Hour (1961, William Wyler) [Blu-ray]*
Reefer Madness (1938) [Blu-ray]
Glorifying the American Girl (1929) [Blu-ray]
Un Flic (1972, Jean-Pierre Melville) [Blu-ray]
Sex Madness (1938) [Blu-ray]
Parasite (2019, Bong Joon-Ho) [theatrical]*
The Gang’s All Here (1943, Busby Berkeley) [Twilight Time Blu-ray]*
La grande bouffe (1973, Marco Ferreri) [Arrow Video Blu-ray]
The Finances of the Grand Duke (1924, F.W. Murnau) [Masters of Cinema Blu-ray]
Panic in the Streets (1950, Elia Kazan) [Fox Blu-ray]
The Movie Orgy (1968, Joe Dante) [YouTube]*
The Andromeda Strain (1971, Robert Wise) [Arrow Video Blu-ray]*
Our Man in Havana (1959, Carol Reed) [Twilight Time Blu-ray]*
Fat City (1972, John Huston) [Indicator Blu-ray]*
Beneath the 12-Mile Reef (1953, ) [Twilight Time Blu-ray]
Bad Day at Black Rock (1955, John Sturges) [Warner Archive Blu-ray]*
The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (1947, Norman Z. McLeod) [Criterion Channel]
The Green Fog (2017, Guy Maddin, etc) [Vimeo]*
JFK (1991, Oliver Stone) [Blu-ray - director’s cut] *
Sherlock Holmes (1916) [Blu-ray]

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Viewing habits getting the ol' quarantine bump.

A Serious Man (2008): 95 (rewatch, was 90)
Mudbound (2017) 80
La Aldea Maldita (The Cursed Village) (1930): 85
The Death of Yugoslavia (1995): 85 (rewatch)
Chungking Express (1994): 95 (rewatch)
La Verbena de la Paloma (Fair of the Dove) (1935): 60
American Factory (2019): 75
Poto and Cabengo (1980): 85
Le Bonheur (1965): 75
Boogie Nights (1997): 95 (rewatch, was 100)
Black Panthers (1968): 80
Troop Zero (2019): 60
All of Me (1984): 80
Interstellar (2014): 100 (rewatch)
Pee-wee's Big Adventure (1985): 90 (rewatch)
Honey Boy (2019): 70
Carne de Fieras (Meat of Beasts) (1936): 60
Samurai II: Duel at Ichijoji Temple (1955): 75 (rewatch, was 70)
Aurora de Esperanza (Dawn of Hope) (1937): 50
Eve's Bayou (1997): 85

Egbert Souse posted:

Haven't updated in a while. * denotes films I found most outstanding

Letter Never Sent (1960, Mikhail Kalatazov) [Blu-ray]*

What was your favorite bonkers cinematic moment from this movie? For me it's probably when they're running through a forest and it looks like they just set the whole drat thing on fire.

Egbert Souse posted:

Fat City (1972, John Huston) [Indicator Blu-ray]*

Not only do I love this film and think it's one of the best sports movies ever made, but I can also highly recommend the novel it's based on.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

It's been on my DVR for ages and I needed an escape from the news - Blackboard Jungle (1955): B+. For 1955, a surprisingly progressive movie, both in terms of race and in viewing the inner city (despite some characters' dehumanizing language aimed at their students). Blackboard Jungle is a "message" movie without being heavy handed or ridiculously over-the-top like Reefer Madness.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Lay that Eve's Bayou on me.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Lay that Eve's Bayou on me.

My most general points about its success are that the art direction is evocative, the acting is superb, and the story is so drat smart. On the latter point, I assumed it must have been based on some classic novel, maybe because screenplay standards have plunged so much since then. It's got stylistic flair straight out of 80s soviet film blended with Bergman-esque gothic drama. There's a really incredible sustained sequence featuring a mirror that sends us into a story of the past without any special effects that's just marvelous. Also, the final shot of the film is ridiculously great.

I was left asking myself why no one talks about this movie (or for that matter, many of the excellent actors) and realized it was pretty much for the same reason I hadn't heard of Daughters of the Dust until two years ago.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I couldn't get into Raging Bull at all. It's still a Scorcese film, all the telltale signs of his style are there, but I couldn't give less of a poo poo about anyone in the story. 5/10

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kull the Conqueror posted:

A Serious Man (2008): 95 (rewatch, was 90)

Boogie Nights (1997): 95 (rewatch, was 100)

Interstellar (2014): 100 (rewatch)

Can you elaborate on these rewatches a bit? I'm curious

Grudgerm
May 4, 2012

by Reene
I watched Tootsie, recently. It was very entertaining but I thought it dragged in the middle. Dustin Hoffman does a great job portraying two different characters on the same screen.

I would give it an 80%

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Kull the Conqueror posted:

I was left asking myself why no one talks about [Eve's Bayou] (or for that matter, many of the excellent actors) and realized it was pretty much for the same reason I hadn't heard of Daughters of the Dust until two years ago.

I remember first hearing about it when Ebert ranked it as his #1 film for the year 1997. But outside of that barely anything.

Daughters of the Dust is on my watch list as it was mentioned briefly on The Movies (CNN miniseries).

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

The Clowner posted:

Can you elaborate on these rewatches a bit? I'm curious

For me, A Serious Man is, as an experience, a delectable mix of personal/ cultural empathy, dialogue that dances and soars across the English language, top-level filmcraft, and a tone that masterfully balances dark comedy with existential dread. There will likely ever be another movie that so authentically (and satirically) captures what it's like to grow Jewish out on the American frontier, as I once did, full of that strange and absurd social bisection between assimilation and defiant adherence to tradition. Beyond that theme, it's a dope movie filled with humor, strangeness, and surprises in every scene.

Boogie Nights was an interesting watch in the year 2020. It was a hugely important film to me when I was a teenager and contains an unbelievable, hard-to-repeat nexus of acting talent. The Rahad Jackson drug heist is still one of the best scenes in Hollywood history for my money. The only reason it gets a bump down is that Anderson's work over the past decade has exposed his first few films as maybe a little rickety or rough around the edges (some folks might prefer that). This film and Magnolia feel just a little overstuffed with every single novel idea that popped into the creator's head. The back of the Boogie Nights blu-ray has a critic quote saying it's "A filmmaker working at peak virtuosity," which may have felt true at the time, but, hell, nobody knew they'd be getting Phantom Thread.

Interstellar nestled its way into my heart on that first very stoned watch at an IMAX in 2014 and it has never let go. I can cite very few examples of cinematic experiences that had me so enveloped that I wasn't thinking contextually about technique, presentation, where the film fits relative to others, etc. I could go on a long time about it. Perhaps at the core of its success is its mastery, exploration, and sheer respect for the concepts of time and light. Narrative film is most fundamentally the distention and manipulation of these elements, but Interstellar strikes an intriguing balance between a direct confrontation (the plot, of which relativity and singularities are crucial) and this more subtle, very visual spiritual embrace of these foundational aspects of our lives. It's the only way I can wrap my head around the feeling I get when, during the film's majestic climax where the ship and the station, rotating chaotically, are ever so close to docking, the sun carves itself through that little gap. The same can be said for the sequence when a man watches his family grow older without him, eventually abandoning the very idea that he might still be alive, and all the while, he's rotating in space, and the light of the system's star keeps flashing across him, like the universe is taunting the smallness of his anguish. And all of this is happening in a blockbuster, a film with scale and production values usually reserved for such intellectual pursuits as the destruction of the Golden Gate Bridge (again). I think the true masters of this film format are as follows: Spieberg, Cameron, Nolan. That's it. I could also pontificate obnoxiously about the following: brilliant use of American iconography for metaphor and nostalgia (Dust Bowl, NASA), the Matt Damon maneuver, the time tesseract, the wormhole, the monster wave planet, the ending that refuses to give up the adventure, the Saturn flyby that makes its rings look like a paint stroke, Hans Zimmer's best score, the Dylan Thomas poem that keeps on giving, Wes Bentley's return to acting, dope-as-hell robots...

Sorry, that could probably use at least three drafts but I have to get to work.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nice, thank you. Can't argue with anything you said...

...but, if you would indulge me, could you go into your thoughts on Phantom Thread? I'm curious why you chose that film as the exemplar of PTA's style. As well-executed as it is, for me, it lives in the shadow of the peak first approached by There Will Be Blood and reached by The Master.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

All his films are good, but PTA will never make another film as good as The Master.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

There Will Be Blood is my favorite rewatch but agreed, The Master is his best.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

There Will Be Blood is my favorite rewatch but agreed, The Master is his best.

Just thinking of how good a year for film 2007 was. :allears:

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

The Clowner posted:

Nice, thank you. Can't argue with anything you said...

...but, if you would indulge me, could you go into your thoughts on Phantom Thread? I'm curious why you chose that film as the exemplar of PTA's style. As well-executed as it is, for me, it lives in the shadow of the peak first approached by There Will Be Blood and reached by The Master.

They're all pretty much peers, imo. I pretty much said Phantom Thread as an example. But especially with The Master and Phantom Thread, they both share that indelible quality of feeling at least a little bit unknowable. The main characters are so far removed from archetype that once I start thinking about them, I can't stop.

I gotta go back and watch all of them because it's been a spell for pretty much everything outside of PT.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
So uh, I've just finished Tommy and I guess I'm kinda disappointed that the imagery was so straight forward? Though it probably helps that I've listened to the original album so many times that I already knew the plot so I could focus on the visuals more. There are brilliant little tidbits here and there but I'm struggling to recall anything that super stood out. I'll probably re-watch this sometime to see if I get more out of it but for now it's a nicely average 7/10.

Hopefully my plan to watch Tommy first as a warm up for Lisztomania works out, though without having seen it yet I can already tell you it's rating is Penis/10.

Edit: Forgot to mention, it's so drat weird to see young Jack Nicholson in Tommy. I'm so used to the way he looks in and around the time of About Schmidt. The advertising for that movie was everywhere in 2002.

Turbinosamente fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Apr 9, 2020

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
The Little Hours

I'm not sure if this thing was supposed to intentionally be so satirical or if it was just intended to be deadpan dark humour, but either way I thought it was hilarious.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Back again, now I've seen Lisztomania and its :flaccid:/10. Not worth your time unless you want to see a director run amok and lose a good idea by drowning it in his own particular brand of over the top visual metaphors. It's kind of a shame that we don't really have famous enfant terrible directors like Ken Russell any more, but when they torpedo their career this badly you're reminded why that is. He wrote this film as well and I feel like that's why this one fails where Tommy succeeded: because Mr. Russell was tied to Pete Townshend's story and had to ultimately serve that with his trademark visuals.

Is it even worth it to seek out Ken Russell's earlier works since Lisztomania left such a bad taste? The internet at large claims his pre Tommy work is "good" but I don't know if that's just people who like to be smug by watching art films.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Turbinosamente posted:

Back again, now I've seen Lisztomania and its :flaccid:/10. Not worth your time unless you want to see a director run amok and lose a good idea by drowning it in his own particular brand of over the top visual metaphors. It's kind of a shame that we don't really have famous enfant terrible directors like Ken Russell any more, but when they torpedo their career this badly you're reminded why that is. He wrote this film as well and I feel like that's why this one fails where Tommy succeeded: because Mr. Russell was tied to Pete Townshend's story and had to ultimately serve that with his trademark visuals.

Is it even worth it to seek out Ken Russell's earlier works since Lisztomania left such a bad taste? The internet at large claims his pre Tommy work is "good" but I don't know if that's just people who like to be smug by watching art films.

In a word, yes. He's one of my favorite directors, in my top 3 at least. His films range from wild and insane, to jolly, to rather sedate and dark. Many of his films are hard to find or outright supressed. He made a lot of enemies and has only recently been reappraised in film culture. Hard to find footage that's quality, but I'll post something notable for each.

Here are the ones I like most:

- The Devils Hands down his best film. Writing, camerawork, production design, cast, acting all top form. One of the best films I've ever seen, and one of the most uncompromising political films ever made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJmq0LoVWRQ

- The Music Lovers Impassioned, at times over the top, Tchaikovsky biopic with some astounding montage work. Chamberlain puts in good work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vNUZ0f4zcI

- The Boy Friend Released the same year as The Devils, The Boy Friend is the exact opposite film. It's a jolly romp musical with big time production values, released at a time when it's safe to say that musicals had almost died out. Certainly one of the best of the genre, with amazing choreography. Recently got a perfect restoration on blu. Pure spectacle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn1PDCaobAs

- Women In Love Famous adaptation of DH Lawrence novel about the darker sides of relationships and sexuality, set against the backdrop of English industrialization. One of Russell's more acclaimed (read, 'polite') films, with regulars Alan Bates, Glenda Jackson, Jennie Linden, and an always good Oliver Reed. Russell also adapted Lawrence's earlier novel The Rainbow, which is also good but more down to earth (also starring Jennie Linden), but it's never been restored. Women in Love otoh is easy to find on Criterion now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLDewI_7U1c

- Mahler Similar to his Tchaikovsky biopic, Mahler is a mix of the profound, beautiful, over-the-top, and macabre.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jjFsciRauU

- Altered States Wild experimental sci-fi in mold of The Fly. A film about how the search for knowledge kills human intimacy. William Hurt's first role, and he's great!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40FiMy-ak0k

Dante's Inferno One of Russell's earlier offerings for the BBC, a non-linear narrative biography about the poet/painter DG Rossetti. Great performance from Reed as usual. All of Russell's monochrome BBC work is worth watching if you're into the style. I think there's a blu that collects all of it together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaJqFjhGLss

Those represent Russell at his best, imo, but really just a drop in the bucket because he was quite prolific.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Apr 10, 2020

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
Watched Goodfellas and The Shawshank Redemption on Monday (well technically the latter was Tuesday because insomnia). Excellent movies deserving of their reputation. Been working through movies I haven't seen but really should have by now. 9.5/10 for Goodfellas and 10/10 for The Shawshank Redemption.

Some others, in no particular order, that I've watched recently as I've been on a bit of a movie kick:

The Hateful Eight: Probably my favorite among the ones I've watched recently, or ever for that matter. Good premise and one of those rare films that manages to be a long slow burn but never boring. 10/10
Ronin: Not the best movie ever but a solid spy movie worth the time I spent watching it. 7/10
The Raid: One of the best action films I have ever seen. Tight storytelling and excellent choreography make this one of the greats in the genre. Watch the subbed version if you can - there's not enough dialogue to make the dub worthwhile. 9/10
The Raid 2: While it has more story and more varied set pieces than its predecessor those things don't make for a better movie. Great choreography but just okay overall. 5/10
The Terminator: Effects show their age but not too badly. If there's any 80s action film worth watching it's this one. 8/10
Terminator 2: Judgement Day (rewatch): Long ago I saw this without seeing the first one and it was cool but I wasn't super impressed. Way better when you've actually seen the first one (go figure). A rare sequel that manages to be at least as good as the first. 8/10
Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines: I felt what the film did story-wise was good and a good addition to the first two films. The action scenes went too over the top (the crane chase scene was dumb). 6/10
Hacksaw Ridge: There might be a more gory war film out there but I haven't seen it. Really shows the horror of industrialized warfare. Harrowing and horrifying like a good war film should be. Tough watch but not because it's a bad movie. True story (though the pre-battle scenes are significantly fictionalized). 7.5/10

There's a couple others I'm forgetting at the moment that I'll append if I do recall them.

Resting Lich Face fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Apr 10, 2020

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Hacksaw is gory in the way that Kill Bill vol. 1 is gory. The first head-shot shown on screen got a loud laugh out of my theater because it was so over the top and unexpected.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
Towards the end of Zama, the title character says " I will do you the favour that no one did for me: of saying no to my hopes." And that is a good summary of the previous 100 minutes. Zama is a minor official in a backwater Spanish colony in South America, seemingly forgotten by his superiors back in Spain, disliked and mistreated by everyone. The governer rebuffs his reasonable requests, a noblewoman plays openly with his affections, his peers sneer at him, the local Indians ignore him. This got stellar reviews when it was released but it's relentlessly glum, and doesn't add to anything. I kept thinking of Aguirre and wondering how there a much better film to be made of this. Avoid.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

nonathlon posted:

Towards the end of Zama, the title character says " I will do you the favour that no one did for me: of saying no to my hopes." And that is a good summary of the previous 100 minutes. Zama is a minor official in a backwater Spanish colony in South America, seemingly forgotten by his superiors back in Spain, disliked and mistreated by everyone. The governer rebuffs his reasonable requests, a noblewoman plays openly with his affections, his peers sneer at him, the local Indians ignore him. This got stellar reviews when it was released but it's relentlessly glum, and doesn't add to anything. I kept thinking of Aguirre and wondering how there a much better film to be made of this. Avoid.
Aw, I'm sorry you didn't like it. I feel like Zama is the perfect sequel to Aguirre. The egomaniacal psychopaths come in and subdue the continent through force, then pompous wealthy idiots with no discernible function inherit the spoils of owning all the things.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
I absolutely felt they were two views of the same idea: doomed individuals, impotently struggling to escape. Personal mood and circumstance also probably has a lot to with how it would be received. But it didn't gel with me. Maybe it's because I was never caught up by Zama, who is a fairly internal and unlikeable character. Maybe it's a bit too gloomy for current circumstances.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Yesterday

This was not a good film. The main character doesn't really have an arc or face any meaningful conflict. Kate McKinnon has a small role and is enjoyable to watch even though she's not very funny in this. Best part is the chick who played the waitress in Baby Driver is in this and shes fit as gently caress. There's a scene toward the end that I really hated but im struggling to articulate exactly why.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

* = Films of distinction
** = Among the best films I've ever seen

Dragon Inn (1967, King Hu) [Blu-ray]*
Journey to the Beginning of Time (1955, Karel Zeman) [Blu-ray]
Invention for Destruction (1958, Karel Zeman) [Blu-ray]*
Tanner '88 (1988, Robert Altman) [DVD]
Waterwalker (1984, Bill Mason) [NFB.ca]
A Song is Borm (1948, Howard Hawks) [Criterion Channel]*
Talk Radio (1988, Oliver Stone) [Blu-ray]
Young Mr. Lincoln (1939, John Ford) [Blu-ray]*
Two for the Road (1967, Stanley Donen) [Blu-ray]**
Mom and Dad (1945, William Beaudine) [Blu-ray]
How to Steal a Million (1966, William Wyler) [Blu-ray]
Unashamed: A Romance (1938, Allen Stuart) [Blu-ray]
Elysia, Valley of the Nude (1934, Brian Foy) [Blu-ray]
Pasolini (2014, Abel Ferrara) [Blu-ray]*
Teorema (1968, Pier Paolo Pasolini) [Blu-ray]
Gumshoe (1971, Stephen Frears) [Blu-ray]
Orlando (1992, Sally Potter) [Criterion Channel]*
Charlie Bubbles (1968, Albert Finney) [Blu-ray]
Mr. Nice Guy (1997, Sammo Hung) [Blu-ray - extended original cut]
Little Murders (1971, Alan Arkin) [Blu-ray]
The Brain That Couldn't Die (1962, Joseph Green) [Z Stream]
The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man-in-the-Moon Marigolds (1972, Paul Newman) [Blu-ray]
New York, New York (1977, Martin Scorsese) [Blu-ray] - First Scorsese I've seen I disliked :(
Eyes of Laura Mars (1978, Irvin Kershner) [Blu-ray]*
The Anderson Tapes (1971, Sidney Lumet) [Blu-ray]
Heavy Traffic (1973, Ralph Bakshi) [Blu-ray]*
Into the Night (1985, John Landis) [Blu-ray]
Office Space (1999, Mike Judge) [Blu-ray]
The Last Temptation of Christ (1988, Martin Scorsese) [Blu-ray]**
The Wrong Box (1966, Bryan Forbes) [Blu-ray]*
The Mystery of Picasso (1956, Henri-Georges Clouzot) [Blu-ray]*
Stormy Weather (1943, Andrew L. Stone) [Blu-ray]*
The 7th Voyage of Sinbad (1958, Nathan Juran) [Blu-ray]
Mysterious Island (1961, Cy Endfield) [Blu-ray]*

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Flash Gordon 5/10. How much do you like 1930s serials? I hope it's a lot because this movie feels like some one cut one together into a feature film and colorized it. Still has all the deus ex machinas everywhere plus I was constantly asking myself when did character X learn about that or know how to use that alien tech. It either needed to lean into the humor/absurdity more or be updated a la Indiana Jones or Star Wars. Perhaps I ruined this film by listening to the soundtrack first: my imagination did a better job filling in some exciting sci-fi action plot than the movie itself. Bonus points for Brian Blessed crewing the poo poo out the scenery though. Also Timothy Dalton is in this as well, which just makes me wonder how he wound up in so many forgettable major motion pictures in the 80s/90s with two Bond films in the middle.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Egbert Souse posted:

Into the Night (1985, John Landis) [Blu-ray]
Thoughts? I watched this a little while ago. I like Jeff Goldblum and films set during long nights but there's not much else I could say about this. Just kind of... fine.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Dr. Strangelove - 5/5 rewatch after 10 years or so. Probably my favorite Kubrick film now, overtaking The Shining with this watch. The satire is even better these days.

Contagion - 3.5/5 rewatch since first viewing in theaters. Always been my favorite Soderberg and this solidified it. The ensemble cast and quick pace works well and even though it's a bit uneven it keeps me engaged the whole time. Obviously an interesting watch with current events.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Bottom Liner posted:

Contagion - 3.5/5 [...] Always been my favorite Soderberg
Yikes - are you just stingy with your scores, or are you not much of a Soderberg fan?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Yikes - are you just stingy with your scores, or are you not much of a Soderberg fan?

The former lately. I like all that I've seen from him but don't love any, and I've been trying to be more stingy with 4s and 5s after seeing how many were on my letterboxed (although that's recency bias and mostly rating the back catalog of stuff I like). The movie really spends a lot of time on the side effects of the pandemic from about half way on with the breakdown of society bits and a few side stories that don't pay off enough compared to sticking to the stuff that worked so well in the first act.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

The former lately. I like all that I've seen from him but don't love any, and I've been trying to be more stingy with 4s and 5s after seeing how many were on my letterboxed (although that's recency bias and mostly rating the back catalog of stuff I like). The movie really spends a lot of time on the side effects of the pandemic from about half way on with the breakdown of society bits and a few side stories that don't pay off enough compared to sticking to the stuff that worked so well in the first act.

It's as much about the spread of information as it is about the spread of disease imo

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

It does that well too, I just think it lingers on some of the spectacle instead of the more grounded elements. The editing of the movie is top notch too.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Thoughts? I watched this a little while ago. I like Jeff Goldblum and films set during long nights but there's not much else I could say about this. Just kind of... fine.

John Landis is one of my favorite directors and while this is offbeat, I thought it was a fun sort of thriller-comedy. I think it drags and meanders just a little, but then again, it should to an extent given that it follows an insomniac. Jeff Goldblum and Michelle Pfeiffer are great and charming in this, but there's also plenty of fun bit parts/cameos. If you ever want to see a fight between David Bowie and Carl Perkins, this is it. This has a massive amount of director cameos, too. David Cronenberg plays Goldblum's boss, Roger Vadim as a French gangster, plus blink and you'll miss it parts for Jim Henson, Don Siegel, Paul Bartel, Jack Arnold, Rick Baker, and Jonathan Demme.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
Django Unchained: 8.5/10. Good fun. Not on the level of The Hateful Eight. A bit masturbatory but hey, it's a Tarantino film.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

TV but we binged Watchmen over two nights and despite starting strong it turned into a complete wet fart. 2/5.

LemonLimeSoda
Jan 23, 2020
Booksmart(2019):
There were individual moments I liked but it felt really scatterbrained, the music cues were distracting
a lot of the jokes fell flat for me
carrie fishers daughter looked a lot older than the other kids and her character was obnoxious
I had seen Ladybird the week before and felt like Ladybird covered similar ground in a much better way
5/10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

LemonLimeSoda posted:

Booksmart(2019):
There were individual moments I liked but it felt really scatterbrained, the music cues were distracting
a lot of the jokes fell flat for me
carrie fishers daughter looked a lot older than the other kids and her character was obnoxious
I had seen Ladybird the week before and felt like Ladybird covered similar ground in a much better way
5/10

i also thought Columbus and The Spectacular Now were pretty good. A24 has been cleaning up for a while now on the edge of adulthood motif