Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
My BF got a copy of the game early here in Australia. I’m not that interested in it but I’m watching him play.
I will say Cloud is the worst playable character. He’s not particularly interesting, charismatic or fun to watch/play. All the other supporting characters are much more interesting and fun. It’s like Cloud is a DC hero in a Marvel movie.
I will say the graphics are nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011

Kith posted:

s i g h

Guess I'll just have to suffer through it, then.

I seem to recall that you can remap buttons for the PS4 itself, could try looking into that.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Andrew_1985 posted:

My BF got a copy of the game early here in Australia. I’m not that interested in it but I’m watching him play.

You're right. Cloud as portrayed in the original game (and not in the Gackt Universe) is an arrogant rear end. His whole schtick is "I used to be in the fantasy special forces" arrogance and he plays that one note repeatedly. I have no idea what the responses are like in the remake but there was always an rear end in a top hat conversation option in the original. This early characterization is important later in the game... but that's unfortunately long after FF7R finishes. :/

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Cloud's great, him fumbling the age/rank conversation with Barret and him trying to hide a smile when Jessie says he's cool are great.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
They are absolutely nailing the character interactions, and that was such a big part of the original.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Terper posted:

Cloud's great, him fumbling the age/rank conversation with Barret and him trying to hide a smile when Jessie says he's cool are great.

He's such a god damned dork and it's great. Especially with Aerith, who so easily disarms his attempt to play cool guy

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

exquisite tea posted:

A modern JRPG with a runtime of only 40 hours is a mercy.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
My biggest worry is that they'll forget that Aerith is the Veronica and Tifa is the Betty.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Ace Transmuter posted:

My biggest worry is that they'll forget that Aerith is the Veronica and Tifa is the Betty.

Worry not, friend!

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Yeah I'm 100% down with a 40-hour runtime if it's 40 hours of good combat / fun cutscenes vs. all the RPGs that turn into bloated 200-hour monstrosities that wear out their welcome halfway through anyway.

It sounds like I'll probably end up replaying it in Hard Mode to see the optional bosses and stuff as it is, and if it's anything like the original I'm sure I will waste a bunch of hours doing coliseum battles / trying to gather up a bunch of items / gear I will never use.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
My candy DLC says its approved for all 5 when I put my email address in the website. But I haven't gotten any emails. Checked all my spam and ad filters, not a thing. Submitted a ticket, hopefully it gets sorted out quickly.

Also, since I live in Canada I had to get a receipt from my Aunt who came back from Florida about 3 days before our government said everyone should come home. She already completed her quarantine and I got it when I dropped off some groceries on the porch. However, I do need another receipt for a friend, as the second one my aunt brought was irrevocably damaged.

Long story short, anyone willing to help a fellow Goon out? Money is no issue. I don't have PMs, but I do have discord.

Sorry to ask, I just don't really know many people in the states. My friend is actually getting the set I already am approved for assuming the email shows up. He is a gigantic fan while I can live without some silly cosmetic items. I still want them though.

Zushio fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Apr 4, 2020

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

exquisite tea posted:

Agreed. Persona 5 took me 120 hours to beat, I was trying to get all trophies in one playthrough and I hosed it up and need to replay. That will never happen. I enjoyed the game but started to feel like a slog by the end.

But based on my current FF7R playthrough, I won't be replaying to get the (difficulty based) achievements here. There's a couple of bosses so far that have had me using all my items, literally down to the last phoenix down and mega potion. I guess I'm just bad at this game, but I don't wanna bump it to Easy unless I have no choice.

I guess I'm just missing something (a brain?) because I was able to kill one boss without issue (figure out pattern etc) but then the next one just keeps killing me. Maybe I'm underlevelled because I haven't done any grinding at all but based on a few events, it feels like I should be higher level.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

PancakeTransmission posted:

Agreed. Persona 5 took me 120 hours to beat, I was trying to get all trophies in one playthrough and I hosed it up and need to replay. That will never happen. I enjoyed the game but started to feel like a slog by the end.

But based on my current FF7R playthrough, I won't be replaying to get the (difficulty based) achievements here. There's a couple of bosses so far that have had me using all my items, literally down to the last phoenix down and mega potion. I guess I'm just bad at this game, but I don't wanna bump it to Easy unless I have no choice.

I guess I'm just missing something (a brain?) because I was able to kill one boss without issue (figure out pattern etc) but then the next one just keeps killing me. Maybe I'm underlevelled because I haven't done any grinding at all but based on a few events, it feels like I should be higher level.

You've got to use assess on everything and a lot of bosses have windows for weak spot attacks. The best thing to do in 75% of boss fights is to make sure you charge up everyone's ATB and exercise a bit of patience. Once you get barrier and the all materia whatever it's called that's always a good start to any fight. I usually leave it on Barret so he can charge quick at range then drop a barrier and assess.

Your active guy gets the brunt of attacks so using Cloud to block and run around while you wait on opportunities is useful.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The exception is Octopath Traveler, it's super long because it's basically 8 games in one big world and by constantly switching between the stories I've never been bored and I'm nearing 70 hours at the end of the story content (I've heard not to bother with the postgame)

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

precision posted:

The exception is Octopath Traveler, it's super long because it's basically 8 games in one big world and by constantly switching between the stories I've never been bored and I'm nearing 70 hours at the end of the story content (I've heard not to bother with the postgame)

I want to play it but from what I saw the party rarely interacts with each other and each plot only focus on one party member

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

ZZZorcerer posted:

I want to play it but from what I saw the party rarely interacts with each other and each plot only focus on one party member

Its 8 separate stories using the same 8 character party, so instead of having to start a new game with each charactwr, you can do all their stories in one playthrough.

The stories are extremely slow, repetitive and boring, The banter between characters is annoying fluff that doesnt connect any of their plots. The battle system is super fun.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

ZZZorcerer posted:

Nope. Starting in chapter 2 they banter quite a bit. A bunch of it is in taverns so to see the most of it you have to change out party members but that's OK because the game wants you to keep everyone relatively evenly leveled.

TommyGun85 posted:

Its 8 separate stories using the same 8 character party, so instead of having to start a new game with each charactwr, you can do all their stories in one playthrough.

The stories are extremely slow, repetitive and boring, The banter between characters is annoying fluff that doesnt connect any of their plots. The battle system is super fun.

lol

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
But... I want my party to be best friends :negative:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It does stand out in Octopath that the party members only interact during skits though and not during actual plot events. There are plenty of party banter skits but it's still not the same as interacting during story events, which generally act like the focus character for each is solo.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Andrew_1985 posted:

I will say Cloud is the worst playable character. He’s not particularly interesting, charismatic or fun to watch/play. All the other supporting characters are much more interesting and fun. It’s like Cloud is a DC hero in a Marvel movie.
I will say the graphics are nice.

That is 10000% intentional, until you get the drop and realize what his whole deal is.

God he's such a dork, until he isn't, but then he's still a dork.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

ZZZorcerer posted:

But... I want my party to be best friends :negative:

The banter establishes they totally are best friends (and also often thirsty as gently caress for each other)

Also disagree hard that the stories are boring or bad, some are definitely weaker than others but overall they're great and charming

It's just the best goddamn game and it's ultimately very hopeful and :unsmith: (though it has some super dark stuff too)

It's also notable for being the only JRPG where the Totally Not-Catholic Church is not secretly evil

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Harrow posted:

It does stand out in Octopath that the party members only interact during skits though and not during actual plot events. There are plenty of party banter skits but it's still not the same as interacting during story events, which generally act like the focus character for each is solo.

It's legit the biggest problem with the entire game. Like, it's why the story feels like such a slog.

If they fix that Octopath 2 could be a GOTY

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I finished the game. I'm very confused but it's a hard 9.0 for me.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Is Cloud still mandatory for the party or can you go with Barret, Tifa, and Aerith?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The party composition is always mandatory, but does not always include Cloud. Haven't done any post game yet so I'll see what changes there.

The party members you get are (spoilers here if you don't want to know!!!!!! I'm sure this isn't big news but anyway) Cloud, Barret, Tifa and Aerith. Red 13 joins the party as a guest but he is not controllable.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

JBP posted:

The party composition is always mandatory, but does not always include Cloud. Haven't done any post game yet so I'll see what changes there.

The party members you get are (spoilers here if you don't want to know!!!!!! I'm sure this isn't big news but anyway) Cloud, Barret, Tifa and Aerith. Red 13 joins the party as a guest but he is not controllable.

That kinda sucks considering that's what a lot people didn't like about games like FFIX and XIII

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WaltherFeng posted:

That kinda sucks considering that's what a lot people didn't like about games like FFIX and XIII

I mean it is also 100% accurate to the original game. You don't actually get the ability to swap your party until you leave Midgar.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

ImpAtom posted:

I mean it is also 100% accurate to the original game. You don't actually get the ability to swap your party until you leave Midgar.

Exactly. The entire game from start to finish is narrative. There's no space for tooling around with your party composition.

The menu game is deep and fun though. Loads of customising, loads of materia. Outside of a few nitpicks like camera issues the battles are wonderful. I encountered one bug in a fight for the entire game and I reckon that's pretty outstanding.

JBP fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Apr 5, 2020

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Octopath Traveler is alright, but ti wasn't SaGa enough for my tastes.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Zushio posted:

My candy DLC says its approved for all 5 when I put my email address in the website. But I haven't gotten any emails. Checked all my spam and ad filters, not a thing. Submitted a ticket, hopefully it gets sorted out quickly.

Also, since I live in Canada I had to get a receipt from my Aunt who came back from Florida about 3 days before our government said everyone should come home. She already completed her quarantine and I got it when I dropped off some groceries on the porch. However, I do need another receipt for a friend, as the second one my aunt brought was irrevocably damaged.

Long story short, anyone willing to help a fellow Goon out? Money is no issue. I don't have PMs, but I do have discord.

Sorry to ask, I just don't really know many people in the states. My friend is actually getting the set I already am approved for assuming the email shows up. He is a gigantic fan while I can live without some silly cosmetic items. I still want them though.

I think all the item DLC is already claimed, so it’ll just be the Tifa PS4 theme.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

exquisite tea posted:

For real. I got Dragon Quest XI S and Fire Emblem Three Houses for Christmas and haven't even touched them yet, knowing how very long they are. (I played DQXI on PS4 already and while it's one of my new all-time favorite games ever, it's SO LONG)... and I just got Persona 5 Royal too.

40 hours for a JRPG is absolutely merciful.

(also I've sunk at least 80 hours into animal crossing too with little sign of stopping so that's a thing too)

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Open Marriage Night posted:

I think all the item DLC is already claimed, so it’ll just be the Tifa PS4 theme.

I dunno, I got mine just a few days ago.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Framboise posted:

For real. I got Dragon Quest XI S and Fire Emblem Three Houses for Christmas and haven't even touched them yet, knowing how very long they are. (I played DQXI on PS4 already and while it's one of my new all-time favorite games ever, it's SO LONG)... and I just got Persona 5 Royal too.

40 hours for a JRPG is absolutely merciful.

(also I've sunk at least 80 hours into animal crossing too with little sign of stopping so that's a thing too)

Three Houses isn't insanely long if you just pick a house and play it once. I recommend Golden Deer.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

JBP posted:

Three Houses isn't insanely long if you just pick a house and play it once. I recommend Golden Deer.

I guess I'm just basing it on what I've seen of my friends' playtimes. Looked on one friend's switch profile today and saw she had almost 300 hours in the game-- but she's also a bit of a completionist too, so :shrug:

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

One thing I noticed recently is how much FF7s soundtrack has in common with FF5s. It's almost like Uematsu had one style for 4/6/8 and another for 5/7. I mean check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-EfK4dVBV8

Right around :25-30 sounds very FF7 to me.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Well, there's always Sealed Book...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wE7hqbXXy98

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Three Houses on a single playthrough is around 80 hours. There's a lot of padding in there. I don't know yet but I suspect I'm not going to be happy with 35 hours if most of that is padding.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

exquisite tea posted:

https://twitter.com/harddrivemag/status/1058750652518608897

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Agents are GO! posted:

One thing I noticed recently is how much FF7s soundtrack has in common with FF5s. It's almost like Uematsu had one style for 4/6/8 and another for 5/7. I mean check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-EfK4dVBV8

Right around :25-30 sounds very FF7 to me.

Honestly i'm getting Guardia Castle vibes from Chrono Trigger, and that piece wasn't composed by Uematsu (although he did compose about 10 other songs on the soundtrack.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Mailer posted:

Three Houses on a single playthrough is around 80 hours. There's a lot of padding in there. I don't know yet but I suspect I'm not going to be happy with 35 hours if most of that is padding.

It's not

Mailer posted:

It really isn't. I did Blue Lions in about 40 because you can automate basically everything and not bother doing busy poo poo at the school if you don't really want to. Thirty hours of junk is pretty much optional.

JBP fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Apr 5, 2020