Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I'm pretty sure anyone complaining about the DeathKnight already knows to apply Lysithea to the problem. It's tremendously frustrating when you talk about a problem you're having for people to just assume you're being a moron instead of genuine.

Enbarr VW is a nightmare until you know what's going on with the same turn reinforcements. If you clear the to the top right area of the map with your team and then spam end turn the reinforcements on the map will all spawn by around turn 10 and come at in you packs of 3. You brutally murder them and then proceed reinforcementless through the map. That way you have all the time in the world to set up killzones on the Death Knight and Hubert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

lol thank you

Yeah I was trying to rush the commanders because the dialogue was like "The reinforcements will be too much for us to handle" so knowing that I can actually take them at my leisure makes things more reasonable

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Random Abyss-related question: During the Remire Village chapter, there's a merchant in Abyss offering to sell me something "you can't find on the surface". I've tried a wide variety of gold amounts from 20k to 50k, but the merchant was not interested and poofed away after the conversation. How much gold do I actually need for this guy? Or does he come back later and I can try again?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
I made a thing

https://youtu.be/FDYjNrH7Jas

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

AradoBalanga posted:

Random Abyss-related question: During the Remire Village chapter, there's a merchant in Abyss offering to sell me something "you can't find on the surface". I've tried a wide variety of gold amounts from 20k to 50k, but the merchant was not interested and poofed away after the conversation. How much gold do I actually need for this guy? Or does he come back later and I can try again?

I assumed that was just fluff and there wasn't actually something you could get out of him.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
I flipped through the thread randomly, but really just have to ask.

I've never played a legit FE game, but I've played the poo poo our of FE Heroes off and on over the years since it was released, and just got back into it due to the pandemic. As always with Heroes, its good, but well grindy as gently caress.

So I also recently got a switch as my first console since like PS3 so I could play pokemon, and my wife could play animal crossing.

Am I going to like this game if I like Heroes? Is the battle mechanics similar? Are any "famous" FE characters in this game?

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
I also played Heroes first and yeah, the top-down battle strategy is the same but way more complicated in a good way. Playing FE:3H helped me appreciate all the random poo poo from Heroes a lot more.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Am I going to like this game if I like Heroes? Is the battle mechanics similar? Are any "famous" FE characters in this game?

1) Maybe? The main battle system is obviously similar enough, but it greatly varies beyond that. You have far more characters, far less grind, skills and weaponry are nowhere near as complicated, classes and gambits add a lot, etc. You'll have to test it and find out, but I'd definitely put the mainline FEs way above Heroes on gameplay and writing, so...I can't say for sure, but you'll probably like it!

2) As I said before, the battle mechanics are similar but have more complexity since you aren't meant to do maps quickly, a map can take a long time but are also very fun, and you have a lot of pre-battle stuff to do as well. Nonetheless, it's still a strategy RPG where you move your characters like chess pieces and have them kill each other, so you'll enjoy that.

3) Depends on your definition of famous. 3H has no returning characters from old games apart from the ever-present Anna (who isn't playable if you don't buy DLC and is also quite bad), but also 3H's characters have themselves gained their own fame at this point.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Welp, good enough for me. My wife saw hogwarts simulator in the OP so I got the go ahead lol.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

fire emblem games don't share a setting or anything (hence heroes' crossover stuff being a big appeal of that game) but there are three houses characters in heroes, so if you've played that in the past year or so you've probably seen a couple.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Lol where did these (mission 21) icbms and dubstep come from

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

They explain the former, which actually tied into a map you've already seen and a bit of the local legends. You need to read into the context a little to realize the dubstep comes from the dubstep wizards.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Chronojam posted:

They explain the former, which actually tied into a map you've already seen and a bit of the local legends. You need to read into the context a little to realize the dubstep comes from the dubstep wizards.

I mean, I knew they were the javelins of light that blew up the fortress, right? I just didn't expect them to... look exactly like rockets down to having jet exhaust and serial numbers etched on the side lol

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I mean, I knew they were the javelins of light that blew up the fortress, right? I just didn't expect them to... look exactly like rockets down to having jet exhaust and serial numbers etched on the side lol

Fodlan is actually post post apocalypse. Like in the beginning when they show you random images of like buildings and a gorilla, that's not just random imagery but actually Agartha. They also have Mecha to fight dragons, obviously.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

There's also some books in the abyss that heavily imply that Fódlan is an alt-earth that was colonized by dragon aliens before the slitherers decided to use wizard nukes to get rid of them.

Y'know. Normal fantasy things!

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

uh, what are the books that imply that

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013
From my understanding it was more Slytherins rule, alien-dragon-god arrives, some indeterminate time later the Slytherins get pissy at no longer being top dog and try and nuke everything. Alien-dragon-god and kids slap the Slytherins down and then get to work fixing things to stop everything looking like Lethal Lava Land. Once that's done, alien-dragon-god goes to sleep from the strain of planting all those trees, the kids start ruling over the aboveground humans and the Slytherins sulk in caves. Eventually, Slytherins tempt first-stage-bandit-but-this-time-with-sword to murder sleeping god, take her bones to make a Soul Calibur weapon and start a human rebellion against the ruling caste of dragon-people, and from there things play out pretty clearly.

The background of Fodlan is a little weird, and some of it isn't even explicitly put in the game but comes from post-game interviews. Most specifically, the whole "Nabateans installed themselves as rulers over humans in the time between Slytherins getting sent packing and Sothis' murder" comes from the Nintendo Dream interview and is only really vaguely hinted at in-game through the stuff about "King of Liberation" and how Rhea was forced to present Nemesis in history as "hero who liberated the people from [something] but eventually turned evil" rather than just "total bastard" as she certainly would have preferred.

Shinji117 fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Apr 5, 2020

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I just find it hilarious that Fodlan has not one but two secret underground societies that are completely unrelated and unaware of each other.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

galagazombie posted:

I just find it hilarious that Fodlan has not one but two secret underground societies that are completely unrelated and unaware of each other.

I think the agarthans are aware of abyss just because the death knight and Metody crash some DLC maps and they were clearly not acting on edel's orders.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

FoolyCharged posted:

I think the agarthans are aware of abyss just because the death knight and Metody crash some DLC maps and they were clearly not acting on edel's orders.
IIRC, the timeline for Cindered Shadows puts it around the time Flayn gets kidnapped. My theory on why the Death Knight shows up in Chapter 2 is that he just dumped Flayn into a spare abandoned room and was trying to find a quick exit, only to stumble upon the arena and had to improvise on the fly.

No idea why Metodey shows up other than maybe they didn't want Randolph or Ladislava to have to play "designated punching bag" for the chapter.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

AradoBalanga posted:

IIRC, the timeline for Cindered Shadows puts it around the time Flayn gets kidnapped. My theory on why the Death Knight shows up in Chapter 2 is that he just dumped Flayn into a spare abandoned room and was trying to find a quick exit, only to stumble upon the arena and had to improvise on the fly.

No idea why Metodey shows up other than maybe they didn't want Randolph or Ladislava to have to play "designated punching bag" for the chapter.

Well, Metodey definitely has the most punchable face of any character in Three Houses, so they made a good choice there.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Trip report after first day of playing. Holy poo poo I have no idea what in doing when it comes to goals and team composition.

Is there weapon type advantages like in Heroes? I cant tell from the two battles ive fought so far if there is.

Game loving rocks.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Trip report after first day of playing. Holy poo poo I have no idea what in doing when it comes to goals and team composition.

Is there weapon type advantages like in Heroes? I cant tell from the two battles ive fought so far if there is.

Game loving rocks.

There's no weapon type advantages in Three Houses. There are in older games but 3H (well, Echoes before it, but it was a remake of an old game) removed them.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
There is technically weapon advantage on the harder difficulties with breaker skills.

This is especially true on the highest difficulty for the DLC, every enemy there basically has a Breaker skill.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Game loving rocks.
Don't worry too much about goals/team composition. The game isn't that hard even on, well, hard, and characters strengths/preferences generally suit their stats and what they're good at. Going down the most obvious routes is a decent option.

The only thing I'll say is that magic users can use both schools of magic in magic classes, regardless of whether or not they're in a healing class or a damage magic class. So even with someone like, say, Hubert, who's weak in Faith and sticks to the offensive magic classes, you want to train his Faith becuase he can still use those healing spells in those classes.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

it's fun because the normal game is a cakewalk and new game plus is like, you can have everybody focus on their weaknesses and still destroy asses.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I really wish this game have the ability to share units. I want people to look at my dancing Hubert

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I mean, it does

that's what the online traveller is. I understand that's not exactly what you want though.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Lazy_Liberal posted:

it's fun because the normal game is a cakewalk and new game plus is like, you can have everybody focus on their weaknesses and still destroy asses.

I don't care what anyone says, Swordmaster Lysithea with Thunderbrand is my MVP. Now excuse me while I teach Bernie how to punch and Hubert how to ride a wyvern.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Well Manicured Man posted:

I don't care what anyone says, Swordmaster Lysithea with Thunderbrand is my MVP. Now excuse me while I teach Bernie how to punch and Hubert how to ride a wyvern.

Teach him how to ride a pegasus. No, I don't care if the game doesn't allow it, let my boy have his winged horse.

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
I'm on the chapter where you search for Flayn and it says that if I go to Jeritza's quarters the month will end, but I want to do monster battles and the war for the weak so I can get some class exp for my units. Is there any penalty for not going to his quarters on the first week?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
None whatsoever. The game proceeds exactly the same if you go to his quarters on the last weekend, and if you go past that there's a slightly different cutscene where one of the guards tells you to go there and things play out the same from there.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

hostess with the Moltres posted:

I'm on the chapter where you search for Flayn and it says that if I go to Jeritza's quarters the month will end, but I want to do monster battles and the war for the weak so I can get some class exp for my units. Is there any penalty for not going to his quarters on the first week?

No, in fact there is a penalty if you do.

You can and should wait until the last weekend to check it out. Otherwise it auto-plays the rest of the month for you and defaults to resting every weekend and keeps teaching everyone your set lessons during the week.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I did that on my first run and it's not the end of the world, but it is annoying

why does the game punish you for doing what you're supposed to?

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

Well Manicured Man posted:

i see you are also an individual of culture and taste.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
Who says that it's your job. Let Flayn rot, that equipment thief.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hi also new. Do a character's skill aptitudes and deficiencies affect growth and capability beyond how many points they get in one-on-one instructions? I've been sticking very closely to what my dudes have blue arrows for in my training and class selection and I suddenly realized I've been making an assumption and maybe should loosen up.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)

SuperKlaus posted:

Hi also new. Do a character's skill aptitudes and deficiencies affect growth and capability beyond how many points they get in one-on-one instructions? I've been sticking very closely to what my dudes have blue arrows for in my training and class selection and I suddenly realized I've been making an assumption and maybe should loosen up.

no, other than the fact that some people have bad weapon skills and magic lists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

SuperKlaus posted:

I believe it also affects how many points they get just for fighting while using said skill and I know that characters will have extra (character specific) combat arts for the weapon types they have blue arrows for.