Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
A 6600k probably won't cut it. I switched from a 6600k to a Ryzen 3600. Also, how old is your board that you have DDR3? The board I used with my 6600k had DDR4. I don't know what my exact performance is, but i have a Ryzen 3600, 32GB DDR4, and a GTX 1070 and my framerates are just fine. I think I'm running on high settings. Every once in a while it gets framey, but I take off my headset and kill some firefox processes that decided to eat up a gig of RAM for some reason and then Alyx is back to being nice and smooth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008
Make absolutely super duper sure you're running a fixed "custom" resolution instead of letting SteamVR auto-adjust the SS level based on what it thinks your hardware is capable of. This sometimes (most of the time) supremely fucks up and puts it at a far too high value.

That said, Alyx benchmarks have shown that it seems to be relatively CPU-bound, and - as with most games - this mostly comes down to raw single core performance due to it being very difficult to effectively utilize multithreading in game engines. So it not using all of your CPU would just mean one core is pegged at 100% while the rest sit around not contributing any useful work.

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

Brownie posted:

How are people finding Half Life Alyx in terms of performance? I just recently upgraded from a 1060 to a 2070 Super and am a bit dissapointed by how little of an improvement I saw. I'm still not able to get a consistent frame rate, and sometime frame times seems to oscillate wildly between 7ms and 13ms. However my CPU and GPU load never reaches 100%, my VRAM and RAM always have gigs to spare, etc. The game also defaults to low settings, which surprises me.

I'm not super familiar with SteamVR or the valve index, so are there some obvious settings I'm missing that would help me get expected performance? I'm worried its my 4 year old CPU but honestly load never goes higher than 70% except at loading screens.

My specs:
Nvidia 2070 Super 8GB
Intel i5 6600K
16GB of DDR3 @ 2133HZ

i have the i5 6600 and I was also experiencing performance issues. it's definitely your CPU that is the bottleneck. currently waiting on a new motherboard and ryzen 3600 in the mail :woop:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Is there any decent VR game out there similar to Stormland? I'm specifically looking for a good action game with high mobility options and I really can't find anything else.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'm running on a stock 3470 lol. Actual performance is fine in terms of fps on Medium with High textures, although on some levels it can stutter sometimes for up to a second, seemingly when it runs into VM limits. I don't think a 6600K would be a causing issues, maybe try overclocking it (more)?

you can't always go by just cpu utilization %, it really depends on what each core is doing, if a thread isn't waiting for another etc. If you really wanna dig in, you can try GPUView although imo it would be just easier to adjust the overclocking and see if that makes any difference.
vvv

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Apr 4, 2020

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

Cojawfee posted:

A 6600k probably won't cut it. I switched from a 6600k to a Ryzen 3600. Also, how old is your board that you have DDR3? The board I used with my 6600k had DDR4. I don't know what my exact performance is, but i have a Ryzen 3600, 32GB DDR4, and a GTX 1070 and my framerates are just fine. I think I'm running on high settings. Every once in a while it gets framey, but I take off my headset and kill some firefox processes that decided to eat up a gig of RAM for some reason and then Alyx is back to being nice and smooth.

Mistype, it is in fact DDR4.

I’d be more ready to believe it was the CPU if any core was reaching 100% but they aren’t, and CPU frame times are pretty low (within 8ms), especially so in the areas where performance drops.

I’m interested to know how many draw calls are actually being submitted given the relatively small amount of objects in any given scene.

Either way, guess it’s time to start saving up for a new CPU.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

Is there any decent VR game out there similar to Stormland? I'm specifically looking for a good action game with high mobility options and I really can't find anything else.

I assume that you mean like single player type stuff and I think it stands pretty much alone there. If you have any interest in multiplayer then there's Echo Combat

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Are there any (non-sandbox) singleplayer games with good guns and gunplay? I really love Alyx but the style and amount of guns is sorely lacking there, and the Walking Dead is great too but that game seems to be more tilted towards melee.

Inch by inch I'm getting my sealegs with this stuff and it just gets better. The only weak point so far is having to spend an hour downgrading my firmware back to 2.1.1 after some insane frustration with the newest one not working for poo poo.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Pierson posted:

Are there any (non-sandbox) singleplayer games with good guns and gunplay? I really love Alyx but the style and amount of guns is sorely lacking there, and the Walking Dead is great too but that game seems to be more tilted towards melee.

Inch by inch I'm getting my sealegs with this stuff and it just gets better. The only weak point so far is having to spend an hour downgrading my firmware back to 2.1.1 after some insane frustration with the newest one not working for poo poo.

H3VR's Zombie and Take & Hold modes are legit fun fun on their own.
PAYDAY 2 can technically be played singleplayer and it has good VR support.
Boneworks doesn't have too much gun variation but the gunplay is fairly good.
Stormlands is in my opinion the absolute pinnacle of VR action gameplay and every gun in that game feels great.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Jack Trades posted:

It's not a deep game, but I love Sairento's Matrix Ninja movement. Leaping 20ft into the air, running along a wall, backflipping off it and shooting the enemies below you mid-flip feels so loving cool.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Shine posted:

It's not a deep game, but I love Sairento's Matrix Ninja movement. Leaping 20ft into the air, running along a wall, backflipping off it and shooting the enemies below you mid-flip feels so loving cool.

Oh yeah, I played it to death as well. Sairento is v good.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Jack Trades posted:

Have you played Jet Island yet? More exploration than action, but it's all about movement and it owns.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

not a great deal tbh
lighthouse tracking, lower resolution, only $100 cheaper

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Inacio posted:

not a great deal tbh
lighthouse tracking, lower resolution, only $100 cheaper

I'd pay $300 just to hack in OG Touch controllers with my Pimax, because I definitely prefer them over these $300 Valve Index controllers.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Pierson posted:

You could check out Arctika.1, its not without plenty of flaws, but it is a single player story focused shooter by the metro developers so the level of polish is very high.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Shine posted:

Have you played it since the dozen revamps? Theres a ton of content now too.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

EbolaIvory posted:

Have you played it since the dozen revamps? Theres a ton of content now too.

Yeah, the spinny blade thingy is fun to whip around. Explosive weapons feel really puny and have poo poo visual effects, though. I still do rifle/shotgun/two lightsabers for the most part.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

cargohills posted:

But are they outdated design factors, or just designing for wider new-user accessibility? If VR games are designing themselves now for an audience that's been there since 2016 and adjusted themselves to the VR movement disconnect, they'll be doing something different to a game that's been touted (although not by the devs) as a "killer app" accessible to a new audience.

Well, yes; Motion sickness is not the big demon of VR it was believed to be when games were first being made, and it's a massive over-correction. Most people dash around just fine at running speeds with smooth locomotion, even when jumping or falling. There's a greater scale of interaction to take advantage of than just "I teleport over a gap/along a ladder". Accessibility is a good thing, and I'm not saying things like teleportation movement shouldn't exist, but there's a lot more that can safely be done and other games have done them well without issue for several years now.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Well, yes; Motion sickness is not the big demon of VR it was believed to be when games were first being made, and it's a massive over-correction. Most people dash around just fine at running speeds with smooth locomotion, even when jumping or falling. There's a greater scale of interaction to take advantage of than just "I teleport over a gap/along a ladder". Accessibility is a good thing, and I'm not saying things like teleportation movement shouldn't exist, but there's a lot more that can safely be done and other games have done them well without issue for several years now.

It's kinda interesting to think back to the 90s and early FPS games. They made lots of people motion sick, and it got even worse when mouselook was introduced, but nobody was arguing that Quake or Half-Life should have a teleport only mode.

I understand why Valve is being especially cautious. Half-Life is a huge franchise and they're trying to use it to expand the overall VR market and making a bunch of first time players ill could really hurt that, but I'm also glad there are developers designing games that would never work with teleportation.

I do wish I could see what a Valve VR game that takes more risks in that department looks like. It would be cool to see their take on a game that incorporated climbing, novel locomotion techniques (like Stormland), and vehicles.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

I've just got onboard with a Rift S. Has taken my eyes and stomach a bit to get used to it, but its very immersive. I've grabbed that Zero Caliber, which has been fun, if not a bit budget for a shooty mans game and also Alyx and Boneworks which I haven't tried yet. Any other suggestions? Are there any good open world vr games yet? ... and that last longer than 6 hours?

Also, how do you guys go toilet while in your vr harness????

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tip posted:

It's kinda interesting to think back to the 90s and early FPS games. They made lots of people motion sick, and it got even worse when mouselook was introduced, but nobody was arguing that Quake or Half-Life should have a teleport only mode.

I understand why Valve is being especially cautious. Half-Life is a huge franchise and they're trying to use it to expand the overall VR market and making a bunch of first time players ill could really hurt that, but I'm also glad there are developers designing games that would never work with teleportation.

I do wish I could see what a Valve VR game that takes more risks in that department looks like. It would be cool to see their take on a game that incorporated climbing, novel locomotion techniques (like Stormland), and vehicles.

The thing I think people keep missing, and what's generally being commented on, is it might be releasing now but when Half-Life Alyx was designed would've been back in 2016-2017-ish and just never had its locomotion mechanics revised. That's what's being talked about when I say it's fundamentally a 2016 VR game. There have actually been new accessibility methods since then, like tunnel vision for fast smooth locomotion, and locking down to no jumping, ladder teleportation (it defaults to this if you let go while climbing), and a forced walking speed is just very indicative of older VR games rather than "being cautious".

If you want to use the early 90's FPS analogy; Half-Life: Alyx would be using arrow keys for movement and the page buttons for lookup/down when everyone else is using WASD and a mouse now.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
That analogy doesn't work since I used both teleport and smooth locomotion during my entire HL:A playthrough.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The thing I think people keep missing

Nope, not missing it at all, and it's been said over and over.

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

Neddy Seagoon posted:

like tunnel vision for fast smooth locomotion,

I do find this omission kind of interesting, given that a lot VR games seem to have decided this is a good feature. I can't say I was missing it at all while playing HL:A, but I wonder if it would help some people. Maybe Valve's internal testing showed it to be useless for most people or something.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

punished milkman posted:

I do find this omission kind of interesting, given that a lot VR games seem to have decided this is a good feature. I can't say I was missing it at all while playing HL:A, but I wonder if it would help some people. Maybe Valve's internal testing showed it to be useless for most people or something.

Personally it makes me sicker.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The thing I think people keep missing, and what's generally being commented on, is it might be releasing now but when Half-Life Alyx was designed would've been back in 2016-2017-ish and just never had its locomotion mechanics revised. That's what's being talked about when I say it's fundamentally a 2016 VR game. There have actually been new accessibility methods since then, like tunnel vision for fast smooth locomotion, and locking down to no jumping, ladder teleportation (it defaults to this if you let go while climbing), and a forced walking speed is just very indicative of older VR games rather than "being cautious".

If you want to use the early 90's FPS analogy; Half-Life: Alyx would be using arrow keys for movement and the page buttons for lookup/down when everyone else is using WASD and a mouse now.

What do you mean it never had its locomotion mechanics revised? Do you know there is a settings menu that gives you all sorts of options for how to get around? What I think you keep missing is that this game is clearly meant for getting people to hear about a new Half Life game, finding out it is in VR, and then trying VR. They probably aren't ready for smooth locomotion, because it feels kind of weird the first time you use it. So when you're ready for smooth locomotion, there's all kinds of settings for you to mess with to do whatever you want with it. Aside from movement speed, but you could edit that in the files, or just move quickly by using the shift mechanic that is still available with smooth movement. Just because Valve decided to have their shift mechanic be the default, that doesn't mean they stopped designing the game in 2016.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

punished milkman posted:

It's possible. Back when Eagle Flight did it - I think they were the first? - the impression I got was that it was motivated by "this makes sense" rather than by rigorous focus testing; there weren't really a lot of dev units around back then. It seemed to do them no harm, so it's common now for developers to copy the idea without further expensive AB testing.

Same deal with fake noses, though they're less common.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cojawfee posted:

Just because Valve decided to have their shift mechanic be the default, that doesn't mean they stopped designing the game in 2016.

Smooth turning needing to be patched in, along with a very hacky weapon hand-switch option via a controller template, tell a different story. Half-Life Alyx is a full and complete project from start to finish, (in that there doesn't look to be cut content or multiple builds stitched together), with a very firm core set of rules and design principles, and they were clearly laid out at one point and held true throughout development. Those would've had to have been laid down early on, and a game like this takes years to build and polish. That's where the "this is a 2016 game" is coming from.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

toggle posted:

I've just got onboard with a Rift S. Has taken my eyes and stomach a bit to get used to it, but its very immersive. I've grabbed that Zero Caliber, which has been fun, if not a bit budget for a shooty mans game and also Alyx and Boneworks which I haven't tried yet. Any other suggestions? Are there any good open world vr games yet? ... and that last longer than 6 hours?

Also, how do you guys go toilet while in your vr harness????

if you're looking for longer single player affairs, you could have a look at Stormland, which is the closest to an open world affair. Asgard's Wrath has a like 30+ hour campaign which while not open world does have a lot of backtracking when you get new abilities metroidvania style some. You could have a look at The Walking Dead game that came out recently, its a 10+ hour game that should feed some of that desire. Lone Echo is a great one, but its exploration and puzzle based, not combat. If you already own Doom 3 BFG edition, theres an amazing VR mod for it that makes it play like a native VR game. Theres also Arizona Sunshine, but eh, its getting old and I don't know if I'd recommend that before any of the others I've listed first.

Those are the story based games that I can think of right now at least that sorta fit in that mold. Theres other stuff like The Mages Tale, a dungeon crawler RPG, Orbus, an MMORPG, or like Chronos, but those start to get a lot further from shooty mans (Chronos being a 3rd person dark soulslike game).

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Lemming posted:

Yeah, saying the players should not do unfun things even if they're effective or successful generally means the devs made a mistake

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHHg99hwQGY&t=2307s

It's not the players fault for doing the thing that's the most effective. If the game encourages you to do something because it's effective, well, people want to win and not die, so why wouldn't they do what's most effective? The most effective thing should be the most fun way to play

Game Maker's Toolkit had a nice video on this a few years ago, with some videogame examples.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7L8vAGGitr8

"Optimizing the fun out" is a problem I run into with some VR FPSes, such as Onward. Even if it's more fun and engaging to physically peek my head around a corner while raising my gun, it's easier to just slide over with the thumbstick while keeping my body (and thus my aim) stationary. While I can just say "okay, I'll stop using thumbstick in cover" and move my body more, the game's damage model is very unforgiving (you go down in only a few shots), so if I get killed a few times by playing the fun, physical way, it becomes super tempting to go back to the less fun, more gamey-optimized way of playing.

Part of why I love Payday 2 VR is because on most difficulties, you can take a pretty substantial amount of damage before it matters, so I don't bother with its smooth locomotion and instead take steps out to the side.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

https://i.imgur.com/gGrnQRk.gifv

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Make sure to right click > show controls and turn up the volume on that one.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Smooth turning needing to be patched in, along with a very hacky weapon hand-switch option via a controller template, tell a different story. Half-Life Alyx is a full and complete project from start to finish, (in that there doesn't look to be cut content or multiple builds stitched together), with a very firm core set of rules and design principles, and they were clearly laid out at one point and held true throughout development. Those would've had to have been laid down early on, and a game like this takes years to build and polish. That's where the "this is a 2016 game" is coming from.

Hacky weapon hand-switch is pretty extreme. It's simple and reliable, something playtesting drove them to implement. I guess your narrative is Valve actively hates everyone and hasn't opened a browser since 2016? Of course they're aware of other VR implementations. They've been actively working with the Boneworks team. They chose to use what they thought would be the path of least resistance for most first time VR users. This isn't complicated.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Smooth turning was likely already in the game, since it was already in the menu, it just didn't turn the mode on. I doubt they programmed it up and threw it in in one day. And I agree that the weapon selection isn't hacky. You have magical pockets in your arms that hold items. There's nothing to say the same can't happen with the weapons. I like the way you select weapons. I want a gun, I hit the trackpad and move my hand in the proper direction. It feels like something that you would be able to do with gloves that let you flick your wrist and grab an object from across the room.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Tom Guycot posted:

if you're looking for longer single player affairs, you could have a look at Stormland, which is the closest to an open world affair. Asgard's Wrath has a like 30+ hour campaign which while not open world does have a lot of backtracking when you get new abilities metroidvania style some. You could have a look at The Walking Dead game that came out recently, its a 10+ hour game that should feed some of that desire. Lone Echo is a great one, but its exploration and puzzle based, not combat. If you already own Doom 3 BFG edition, theres an amazing VR mod for it that makes it play like a native VR game. Theres also Arizona Sunshine, but eh, its getting old and I don't know if I'd recommend that before any of the others I've listed first.

Those are the story based games that I can think of right now at least that sorta fit in that mold. Theres other stuff like The Mages Tale, a dungeon crawler RPG, Orbus, an MMORPG, or like Chronos, but those start to get a lot further from shooty mans (Chronos being a 3rd person dark soulslike game).

Ah ok cool, thank you :)

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Finished The Room VR and it was good, if you liked the others in the series you'll like this one. Only about 3 hours but still worth it.

Also I've found I really suck at aiming the guns in Alyx. Just got to the flashlight part and I'm amazed I didn't die. Got through that with 3 clips left and no shotgun shells. I really should be using the gas tanks more.

e: Played about 5 hours over link and it was super smooth, no glitches and on demand passthrough is so good if a bit finicky on the timing of the taps.

Anyone else get video card memory warnings when starting up Alyx? Doesn't happen all the time but I've got a 1080Ti with 11GB of RAM, I wouldn't think I'd be running out of memory. Game still plays perfectly fine.

RandomBlue fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Apr 5, 2020

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RandomBlue posted:

Also I've found I really suck at aiming the guns in Alyx. Just got to the flashlight part and I'm amazed I didn't die. Got through that with 3 clips left and no shotgun shells. I really should be using the gas tanks more.

Maybe not the ones near the part where you first get the flashlight. :v:

Nuts and Gum posted:

Hacky weapon hand-switch is pretty extreme. It's simple and reliable, something playtesting drove them to implement. I guess your narrative is Valve actively hates everyone and hasn't opened a browser since 2016? Of course they're aware of other VR implementations. They've been actively working with the Boneworks team. They chose to use what they thought would be the path of least resistance for most first time VR users. This isn't complicated.

I'm not talking about the menu, I'm talking about the way they added separating your gun hand from your movement hand after launch.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Apr 5, 2020

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you

RandomBlue posted:

Anyone else get video card memory warnings when starting up Alyx? Doesn't happen all the time but I've got a 1080Ti with 11GB of RAM, I wouldn't think I'd be running out of memory. Game still plays perfectly fine.

Yeah, I have a 2080ti 16 GB and an i9 and it still pops this up at me, game is super smooth and no problems, though I did set it to the highest settings. I think it's just a buggy menu item.

caldrax fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Apr 5, 2020

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Ralith posted:

Have you played Jet Island yet? More exploration than action, but it's all about movement and it owns.

Not gonna lie, quarantine has me craving Jet Island all over again. The movement in that game is exhilarating

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
I've been playing Alyx with smooth locomotion, and I feel like without it you'd miss so much of the in-depth tailored detail they've put into every nook and cranny of that game.

Most traditional first person shooters games it'd be a wasted effort, since the player will blast through everything that isn't a tailored set piece at 300 miles per hour, as is those games design. But the ammo / collectible mechanic really rewards you to poke around and adds to the atmosphere of these being lived in spaces.

Restraining the locomotion to such a slow pace, though jarring at first also really gives the game a wonderful slow sense of pacing and creeping dread. Some of my most intense experiences have been approaching a blind corner or slowly opening a door and peering behind, scared out of my wits at what might be behind it.

The few times I've actually used the teleport have been backtracking through a cleared space I've been before to return to a gun builder, when the limited pace was frustrating. Funny enough in those situations the rapid teleporting spins me out a bit.

I'm pretty much always fine with the smooth locomotion, provided I'm physically turning around to drive my direction - but trying to use the controls to rotate either frustrates me (snap turns are always degrees off where I want to be), or instantly trips me out (smooth turning).

If I could make one improvement I'd make the smooth locomotion movement slowly ease off to a slow stop, simulating a very slight momentum. As it is it stops abruptly the moment you release the button which is pretty jarring. Admittedly this is on the vive wands, which only have the sucky trackpads.