Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
See the fun thing about societal collapse is we've been forced to dig our own grave for decades. Furthermore....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

D1E posted:

I mean, to be honest, there was absolutely no way this wasn't going to happen at some point.

Even if they were just taking car accidents and other non-COVID emergency patients to the hospital ships they were bound to get infected asymptomatic spreaders and victims who simply didn't know they were positive yet.

The idea was ridiculous from the start.

TRUMP.

You know I hadn’t thought of this, my first impression was this was a good idea, but yeah, even as a triage center for completely non-pathogen based illness or injuries *any* healthcare type facility is going to be a hub.

the only hope is antibody testing and vaccine. until those 2 things exist nobody should be doing loving anything.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Turkmenistan bans the use of the word “coronavirus”

https://www.npr.org/sections/corona...tm_term=nprnews

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Mr Hootington posted:

One more day until 5 days of 9hour panic attack as the boomers at eesential work come within six feet of me because it is a hoax

Tape a knife to a broom handle and inform everyone that if they get stabbed it was because they were too close.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Phone posted:

do you get a new toilet every single time there's a new john on the market?

no, you don't. why? because your existing toilet works.

why would you mess with something that is working? all you're doing is introducing a shitload of risk into a system that has been refined to a point where It Just Works. yes, preventative maintenance is a thing; however, the simple truth remains that the cost of replacing these "legacy" systems far outweighs any benefits of porting it to something asinine like go or .net. you still have some variant of vendor lock, but you've just spent millions of dollars regression testing by rebuilding something that was already working.

I specifically meant training enough new people in COBOL so our entire critical computer infrastructure wasn't reliant on a bunch of 70+ year old dudes who will eventually retire or die

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

snoo posted:

do you toast the tortilla at all

i forget/dont care 90% of the time

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Turdfuzz posted:

yea w/e i dont have to listen to u
ive been here since before the age of trump

The bartender has left the conversation.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
:qq:

https://twitter.com/APSouthRegion/status/1246666669746946050

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

I specifically meant training enough new people in COBOL so our entire critical computer infrastructure wasn't reliant on a bunch of 70+ year old dudes who will eventually retire or die

oh yeah, most definitely lmao

i applied for a network engineering position at my current employer, but because some goon in sh/sc was like HAY GUYS, WHO WANTS A FREE T-SHIRT FOR MESSING AROUND ON A MAINFRAME FOR 30 MINUTES i put it on the bottom of my resume, i was asked if i wanted to be a mainframe toucher straight out of college

i think the attrition rate of the cohort i went through training with was like 75% lol

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

got any sevens posted:

i forget/dont care 90% of the time

shameful

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Phone posted:

why would you mess with something that is working? all you're doing is introducing a shitload of risk into a system that has been refined to a point where It Just Works. yes, preventative maintenance is a thing; however, the simple truth remains that the cost of replacing these "legacy" systems far outweighs any benefits of porting it to something asinine like go or .net. you still have some variant of vendor lock, but you've just spent millions of dollars regression testing by rebuilding something that was already working.

I don't think the solution has to be modernizing the system to a different language or framework so much as ensuring that there are enough knowledgeable people around with trained replacements that can do the work

there was this chapter on The Fifth Risk that talked about this one oceanologist / meteorologist that revolutionized the accruacy by which the Coast Guard could execute their search operations because he put in the work of doing all the physics and math and simulations necessary to come up with reasonable estimates for how people would float and move in the water under a number of different conditions (wind, waves, whether the person was actively trying to swim, what they were wearing, etc.), and this guy was pushing 70 by the end of the Obama administration and there wasn't anyone else to pick up after him so even after he'd retired they'd still keep calling him back in to consult

in much the same way, if your system is still running Cobol (or, poo poo, Fortran), then hiring a twentysomething to learn Cobol and learn how the system works so they can take over and just keeping them on payroll even if the system never gets upgraded is just good resiliency planning.

I suppose one of the lessons to be learned from COVID-19 is that there are a poo poo-ton of instutitions that just aren't resilient, because capitalism

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

what a super boring lovely dream drat "I wanna walk real far, on this particular mountain which isn't even that great anyway" wow how inspirational thanks

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

snoo posted:

shameful

is this any way to build solidarity? ridiculing those with no tortilla technique???

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Australia's cumulative graph and the US log graph are taking on the same shape.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Poniard posted:

is this any way to build solidarity? ridiculing those with no tortilla technique???

they put cold cheese in a cold tortilla sandwich and eat it off a plate, I can't do this anymore

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Farm Frenzy posted:

that post from 300 pages ago where a guy with strong school shooter energy told us we were all pussies for not killing our landlords and then linked toa run the jewels song was epic

do it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FR2VDqr9koI

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Phone posted:

gently caress this poo poo tbqh

having worked in the corporate trenches during a roll out for a major internal upgrade (from GUI bolted onto mainframe to HTML based) and also at a company that was clinging with a death grip to 35 year old architecture with 8 bespoke server environment dongles to make 1's and 0's arranged in some arcane database interface with the 21st century, i'd way rather there be a huge modernizing push basically in every industry, but ESPECIALLY critical infrastructure and poo poo like medical records

your example with the toilet sucks because humans haven't grown 40 new assholes all over their body that violently eject poo poo at random intervals and if they did we'd have some sick rear end new toilets in the pipeline

but the computer environment has drastically changed and all those loving gaskets from end user to dev ops control room need to be addressed, especially all the dark gray boxes that were bolted onto the sides of buildings 30 years ago and house their own bunch of physical contraptions that keep them functioning. these are necessary labor projects and society should set aside the labor and the resources to see them happen, that they don't happen all the god damned time is a symptom of for-profit short-term run-it-into-the-ground bullshit that sees us careening into crises every decade

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

smarxist posted:

your example with the toilet sucks because humans haven't grown 40 new assholes all over their body that violently eject poo poo at random intervals

maybe YOU havent

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

smarxist posted:

humans haven't grown 40 new assholes all over their body that violently eject poo poo at random intervals

well maybe YOU haven't

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

snoo posted:

they put cold cheese in a cold tortilla sandwich and eat it off a plate, I can't do this anymore

No you heat it all up

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

smarxist posted:

your example with the toilet sucks because humans haven't grown 40 new assholes all over their body that violently eject poo poo at random intervals and if they did we'd have some sick rear end new toilets in the pipeline

speak for urself

Chunky Salsa
Aug 31, 2016

"Isn't that right, Zach?"

snoo posted:

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

to make a quesadilla u put cheese and maybe some other poo poo on a tortilla fry it in butter bing bong thanks obungler

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Friend is a nurse. She says they have to assume everyone coming in now is infected

A guy came in with a dislocated shoulder, they x-rayed his shoulder and could clearly see his lungs had the distinct mark of broken glass. No external symptoms, patient was unaware.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

making GBS threads out of one of my 40 new assholes to eject molten poo poo onto my cold plate of tortilla and cheese, melting the cheese and cooking the tortilla

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

when yr lungs look like broken glass but you're not noticeably suffering, what happens

does it just get better eventually

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Poniard posted:

making GBS threads out of one of my 40 new assholes to eject molten poo poo onto my cold plate of tortilla and cheese, melting the cheese and cooking the tortilla

hello plinkey

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

Basic Poster posted:

nightcrew is A MESS

This thread is pessimistic during the day and apocalyptic at night.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

Friend is a nurse. She says they have to assume everyone coming in now is infected

A guy came in with a dislocated shoulder, they x-rayed his shoulder and could clearly see his lungs had the distinct mark of broken glass. No external symptoms, patient was unaware.

https://twitter.com/mcrbfh/status/1245675638201020417

Chunky Salsa
Aug 31, 2016

I mean you can put a tortilla in the oven on the broiler setting, on a pizza pan or stone if you got it

Get it kinda crispy, then pull out and smother with cheese and whatever else you got lying around in your fridge. Leftover chicken? Cool. Salsa in a jar? Great. Smother it in whatever and broiler until cheese melted it's the garbage sandwich just in a tortilla.

But for the love of god do not eat cold tortilla and cheese unless it's your only option.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
https://twitter.com/HFBondsTrader/status/1246685670187372550

Is that a scuba bcd

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Poniard posted:

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

snoo posted:

when yr lungs look like broken glass but you're not noticeably suffering, what happens

does it just get better eventually

hope so

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Chunky Salsa posted:

But for the love of god do not eat cold tortilla

Chunky Salsa
Aug 31, 2016

Heated Gaming Moment posted:

This thread is pessimistic during the day and apocalyptic at night.

I like to think we're apocalyptic but with some standards

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

empty whippet box posted:

what a super boring lovely dream drat "I wanna walk real far, on this particular mountain which isn't even that great anyway" wow how inspirational thanks

listen when you're a well-to-do six figgie PMC worker in brooklyn or la as a marketing engineer, your dream of ' i want to reconnect with nature and take 3-5 months off to hike the AT/pacific crest trail' is very important and will be awe inspiring inspiration tale to tell the coworkers,. imo it is a fundamental right and important experience that everyone go do ayahuasca shaman cleansing in bali on the reg'

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

i think i can predict what they do

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
https://twitter.com/poppredictors/status/1212399092493639681?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

jarofpiss posted:

i think jacking off to individual people suffering is pandering to some of the worst aspects of humanity and ultimately runs counter to the values i want to see in a movement that is ostensibly about building a better world. capitalism runs on pain and suffering and finding your political enjoyment in that is counter to what we believe in. it's not hand-wringing to point that out to the death cult in this thread.

me saying this is not being morally performative or naive about what transformative change looks like in society. enjoying and celebrating suffering is a disordered behavior that should not be encouraged.

it's one thing to butcher an animal for meat; it's another to get horny from torturing it.

moralizing enjoyment is arguably the most totalitarian form of liberalism. enjoyment is a mechanism, not a moral distinction. anything can be enjoyed and said enjoyment or lack thereof is totally meaningless. what matters is the results of your actions, not whether or not you enjoy them.

if your idea of a better world is 'everybody enjoys the good things the good way like me a good person' then you're already living in it. your (very protestant) mode of enjoyment and the grotesque theological moral hierarchy that comes along with it is spread and enforced by a massive media apparatus, one of the functions of which is precisely to domesticate and homogenize enjoyment. it's never going to get better than this for you.