Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

A lot of recurring Trek aliens change so much when they become recurring that the first appearance is probably best ignored.

And ignore Cardassian facial hair? That'll be the day!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I can't remember - were the TNG ones specifically named as Trill? I could swear there's an early episode where an entirely unrelated species shows up with the same leopard spot markings as what were later Trill.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Doggles posted:

Monkey's Paw: you get Cardassian facial hair on DS9 but also Cardassian helmet/circlet thingies on all of them

e: I remember the TNG Cardassian armor looking cheap but lol you can see the wrinkles in the vinyl in that photo

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I can't remember - were the TNG ones specifically named as Trill? I could swear there's an early episode where an entirely unrelated species shows up with the same leopard spot markings as what were later Trill.

The Trill from DS9-onward reuse the makeup style worn by Famke Jenssen in The Perfect Mate, but she wasn’t a Trill in that episode. They tried the Odan style forehead piece on Terry Farrell at first, but Berman insisted they change it during the pilot’s production because he said it “made a pretty actress ugly” or something along those lines.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Monkey's Paw: you get Cardassian facial hair on DS9 but also Cardassian helmet/circlet thingies on all of them

e: I remember the TNG Cardassian armor looking cheap but lol you can see the wrinkles in the vinyl in that photo

Those Cardassians had TMJ

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The Trill from DS9-onward reuse the makeup style worn by Famke Jenssen in The Perfect Mate, but she wasn’t a Trill in that episode. They tried the Odan style forehead piece on Terry Farrell at first, but Berman insisted they change it during the pilot’s production because he said it “made a pretty actress ugly” or something along those lines.

Well I hate to say it but he wasn't wrong

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Well I hate to say it but he wasn't wrong

Ehhh I do think the spots are better but it’s not like the original appliance was that obtrusive. Especially on the big spectrum of Trek foreheads.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Oh cool I didn't know there was test footage available. Honestly that looks too indistinguishable from a human I can barely see the bump

What would that guy on the disappearing planet have said instead of "Do your spots go all the way down?"

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Ehhh I do think the spots are better but it’s not like the original appliance was that obtrusive. Especially on the big spectrum of Trek foreheads.

Oh god she's hideous

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

PostNouveau posted:

Oh god she's hideous

Rick Berman account spotted

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
What would you prefer as an actor, sitting in makeup for however long that forehead piece took or getting the spots drawn on?

I bet the spots would take longer but then you don't have to act with poo poo on your forehead. That's probably distracting.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Eighties ZomCom posted:

Curzon was a Federation ambassador to the Klingons so I just sorta assumed that Trill was part of the Federation. Also Vulcan has been part of the Federation since the beginning but there was stuff Humans didn't know about them by TOS.
I don't know if it was said but I parsed this as Curzon was working for Starfleet but being a Trill gave him both the advantage of being a Trill (I remember spinoff novels where people would ask for Spock, or a vulcan, based on their general rep) and that the Klingons could have some additional faith that he wasn't gonna try to gently caress them, because he could always peace off back to Trill if the Federation pushed too hard. Like a space attorney.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The Trill from DS9-onward reuse the makeup style worn by Famke Jenssen in The Perfect Mate, but she wasn’t a Trill in that episode.

That's what I was thinking of, thanks!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I could have sworn she was also somewhat allergic to the material the head piece was made out of.

Someone (Meaney?) was also allergic to the Klingon head and hated it.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Yeah she was allergic to the prosthetics because otherwise it would've made more sense for Dax to pose as a Klingon than O'Brien.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Eighties ZomCom posted:

Yeah she was allergic to the prosthetics because otherwise it would've made more sense for Dax to pose as a Klingon than O'Brien.

Maybe, but if I might get into a Klingon bar fight, I wouldn't mind having One-Punch-O'Brien in my corner.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

does the starfleet two-hander count as one punch?

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

does the starfleet two-hander count as one punch?

Does Kirk's wall jump butt slam count as no punches?

That is the final test question of Kolinahr.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Star Trek: Beyond was fantastic and better than half of the original Star Trek movies. It's too bad it was the franchise fatigue second sequel instead of the first movie. The maneuver where they hid the ship in the plaza's pool and pulled it out at last second, so that Krall's ship could crash into it as Bones led him there, was really clever.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Apr 4, 2020

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Those costumes also came with another slight problem

https://twitter.com/dada78641/status/1179462125636509703

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Seemlar posted:

:vince:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Seemlar posted:

Fan edit the entirety of DS9 to put these sounds in whenever Dukat or Damar move.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Seemlar posted:

Keep this in mind whenever you see any costume in anything made of PVC/rubber.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Seemlar posted:

lmao

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Doggles posted:

Somehow I never noticed the facial hair until I rewatched TNG in HD last year.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Oh poo poo, there's two trek threads in tv/iv. Finally watched Discovery, so I can start reading this thread again.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
if you post as fast as you can in all the trek threads at once you become a salamander

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

I tried that once with the old thread. I ended up in the Triangulum Galaxy.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Brute Squad posted:

Oh poo poo, there's two trek threads in tv/iv. Finally watched Discovery, so I can start reading this thread again.

I haven't watched it, and I've been reading this whole time.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Yeah usually people are pretty decent about hiding spoilers or phrasing things vaguely, I've only ever avoided the "Modern" Trek thread on days Picard dropped until I could get my watch on, just because it was a wall of spoiler tags.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

spoiler: it's a bad show and you shouldn't watch it. I made it halfway through episode 4 but judging by the thread I bailed at the right time.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
If you believe the thread, no good television's been made in decades, if ever.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

There are ways they could have done the ending to Picard that would have made it worthwhile and I think would have brought more closure to things, but they went a different direction that was very strange that I still don't know how to feel about.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Angry Salami posted:

I dunno I posted in the thread about how good Punisher is.

The premise is: Are you a Bad Enough Vigilante to. . . Assassinate the deputy director of the CIA for his war crimes in Afghanistan? Kudos to Marvel for daring to take Punisher in that direction.

Let's see The Expanse is pretty good, first two seasons of Narcos were excellent. First season of Downtown Abby was quite good but they never really challenge or develop the characters IMO it became too much comfort food. Alex Trebek is alive and returning to Jeopardy! Of course there's always David Attenborough, may God protect him.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Apr 5, 2020

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Angry Salami posted:

Agents of SHIELD and The Orville are two that come quickly to mind for me.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

bull3964 posted:

There are ways they could have done the ending to Picard that would have made it worthwhile and I think would have brought more closure to things, but they went a different direction that was very strange that I still don't know how to feel about.
The season is just so jumbled. They burn 3 out of 10 episodes just getting Picard to the ship that is going to take him to the actual plot. Then they spent way, way too much time on the Borg Cube which ultimately has little involvement in the main story and feels like a side story that they just ran out of time to really do anything with.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I should probably watch the Picard finale episodes if you’re going to start being free and easy in this thread.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

I should probably watch the Picard finale episodes if you’re going to start being free and easy in this thread.

There's nothing to spoil. Spoilage implies there was something good there to begin with.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
All the "good" parts are probably already on youtube

Angry Salami posted:

I think part of the reason modern Trek stuff gets dunked on so harshly is that it's not the late 80s/early 90's anymore and Star Trek isn't basically the only game in town; it just sucks compared to many of it's contemporaries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Look, CBS All Access is free for a month, everyone is on lockdown, and it's only 10 episodes.

Translation: if you give any sort of poo poo about spoilers for the show, there's about as few as obstacles as possible in your way to rectifying that so do it or stop complaining.

Also, I have no idea at all how you have escaped the major spoilers OUTSIDE of this thread by this point if any part of Google's algorithm knows you like Star Trek.

FlamingLiberal posted:

The season is just so jumbled. They burn 3 out of 10 episodes just getting Picard to the ship that is going to take him to the actual plot. Then they spent way, way too much time on the Borg Cube which ultimately has little involvement in the main story and feels like a side story that they just ran out of time to really do anything with.

My thoughts are they should have used the 'fix anything' mcguffin to fix Picard's brain condition and then downloaded the latent Data copy into the golem. That would have addressed Spiner's aversion to playing the character as he ages (he already said he would be fine as coming back as Altan Soong) and given an in-universe reason for Data aging. It also would have given resonance to their conversation in the simulated universe. As it stood, Data essentially committed assisted suicide after being on life support for the past 18 years. Had he gone into the golem that aged naturally, he could have had an opportunity to experience morality as humans experience it while being able to connect with his "siblings" of the android society. This would have been especially sweet for Data since he's twice been given brothers that have let him down. That would have felt a lot more natural than "whoops, Picard is a synthetic now!"

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Apr 5, 2020