Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

RareAcumen posted:

It was cold and he was looking for a horse to climb into.

This is actually it pretty much, Sekiro had no name and no family he was just on the battlefield finding anything to survive with. Interestingly Genichiro was found scavenging blades to sell Isshin found him and the Ashina clan took him in, so they're actually very mirrored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dr Christmas posted:

I know your body can start crapping out pretty quickly, but it still feels kind of weird that this old guy's "prime" was three years ago.

A lot can change in 3 years. See: Thanos Infinity War/Endgame

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Time to wreak havoc through the place I'vew been hyping up almost the whole LP. It's like a microcosm of Sekiro on the whole: beautiful, treacherous, and monsterous.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I'm pretty sure the balls the Okami are using are for kemari.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kemari

It was a sport popular with nobles in the Heian period, which would've ended around 500 years before the Sengoku period that Wolf lives during. The whole area scream Heian period too, from how people are dressed to the architecture. It helps add to the otherworldly nature for wolf to stumble onto this stagnant, ancient looking place.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The real bad part of the Shura ending is that you don't get to experience this place. Best level in the game.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

More than just the lightning, the Okami fighting style is very similar to Genichiro's.

Kind of a shame you can only get to this area at night.

(Actually how does the lighting/time of day thing in this game work? What happens if you load this area too early through shenanigans?)

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

This place is gorgeous. Not many games with an old status effect (only one I can think of is Final Fantasy V?).

Is Divine Confetti made from sakura petals? The Bull's branch looked similar.

Is it possible to fall down that huge waterfall at the start? Or get Boss Bassed by that large lad?

Bellmaker fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Mar 29, 2020

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Dzhay posted:

More than just the lightning, the Okami fighting style is very similar to Genichiro's.

Kind of a shame you can only get to this area at night.

(Actually how does the lighting/time of day thing in this game work? What happens if you load this area too early through shenanigans?)

This area is always the same looking because it's locked behind one of the time of day changes so they never have any other skybox/lighting.

The Okami fighting style being similar to Genechiro is pretty much because Tomoe (who's lightning is a forbidden technique) was descended from the Okami Warrior Women. As are the Snake Eyes minibosses for that matter.

Oh also the Sakura Bull has another difference, it doesn't do burn damage because it doesn't have a burning log. Also the bull thing works for both bosses, there are ways to make them panic and run into walls for a full posture damage as you saw.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Mar 29, 2020

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

So this place is ground zero for freaky magic spring water and that's why everyone is a mutant?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

wiegieman posted:

So this place is ground zero for freaky magic spring water and that's why everyone is a mutant?

Pretty much, notably these waters flow down to where the Guardian Ape was, which is pretty much the origin of the bad stuff for the most part as other factions in Ashina found and used the waters themselves and spread the centitpedes around.

Also, interesting thing. The Okami Warrior Woman are probably not fully human themselves, they have very oddly shaped necks and head locations for humans, you can really notice it when watching the one playing with the ball, her head doesn't sit on her neck the way a human's would.

The miniboss is actually unique, she is the only purple cloaked Okami who uses the kemuri ball. The purple cloaked Okami are the ones who use lightning, and I think the idea is that the entire run up to her is her encounter, because she can slap you from quite a distance if you aggro her, not just in the lake.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Mar 29, 2020

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

So has Fountainhead always been hosed up?

Edit: I hypothesise that the reason the Okami warriors aren't actually very dangerous is that it's been a very long time since they actually fought anyone. Within the confines of the palace their movements have become very stylised and dancelike but stand up poorly against the brutal practicality of Ashina swordsmanship polished by decades of grueling war.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Mar 29, 2020

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I have a theory regarding the palace and the Okami people.

I'm guessing they used to have a lot more influence in the past but the blessed waters caused them to isolate either out of fear of outsiders or trying to keep the dragon heritage to themselves. Either way isolation/corruption from the water caused their society to collapse.

We later learn that the Divine Dragon comes from the west (probably China) so maybe the Fountainhead people brought the tree and its spirit from their travels.

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

Nobles and their dogs got very similar heads

azren
Feb 14, 2011

So is there a Japanese version of Tai Chi? Because as far as I know, it's explicitly a Chinese art, but the Okami style definitely looks like it's got at least some Tai Chi in it.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

azren posted:

So is there a Japanese version of Tai Chi? Because as far as I know, it's explicitly a Chinese art, but the Okami style definitely looks like it's got at least some Tai Chi in it.

I was told it's actually Noh dance

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

WaltherFeng posted:

We later learn that the Divine Dragon comes from the west (probably China) so maybe the Fountainhead people brought the tree and its spirit from their travels.

Based on the sword the dragon is wielding (the Seven-Branched Sword, which was given to a Yamato-period ruler by the king of Baekje), Korea is a distinct possibility.

Fountainhead palace is quite possibly the most distinctly Japanese thing in existence, with the possible exception of Okami (the game, not the tribe).

There are a lot of opportunities for stealth, and once you know the layout it's fairly trivial to speedrun through it. The only spot I'd say you need to legit fight things you can't stealth deathblow or skip are the last three enemies before the idol near where the Great Carp destroys the bridge, because the two flute players are set up so they will almost always debilitate you unless you take them out, and the purple Okami will make short work of you when that happens. The finger whistle is also a great way to deal with the part with the dogs.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Bellmaker posted:

Is Divine Confetti made from sakura petals? The Bull's branch looked similar.

I think so! It'd make sense that it's all everblossom Sakura petals from the palace since getting past the gate guard gets you the item that let's you buy as much as you want.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Smile for the camerAGH MY GOD OKAY WOW

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

ThornBrain posted:

Did- did Wolf just kill that dude's carp by overfeeding it?! I know that's a thing with goldfish in particular oh man oh geez :cry:

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Bellmaker posted:

Did- did Wolf just kill that dude's carp by overfeeding it?! I know that's a thing with goldfish in particular oh man oh geez :cry:

No, it was poisoned bait. They talk about it shortly after.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is the underwater guy attacking with his hair a Jojo reference?

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Aerdan posted:

No, it was poisoned bait. They talk about it shortly after.

Was it actually poisoned? The bait had the barreler's(?) hair in it but that doesn't mean it's poison. Plus the carp's caretaker said not to overfeed him.

Thinking about it more, there's a bunch of mythology about carp turning into dragons (the most common one in video games I think is Pokemon: Magikarp -> Gyarados). So it's fitting to have them in the eternal life/Dragon Heritage place.

Bellmaker fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Apr 5, 2020

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

So an interesting thing, there are at least 5 precious baits, and 2 of the truly precious baits, not that it really matters which you give the Great Carp.

Also if you attack the caretaker he fights like an Ogre and gives 3000 Sen in a bag.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Bellmaker posted:

Was it actually poisoned? The bait had the barreler's(?) hair in it but that doesn't mean it's poison. Plus the carp's caretaker said not to overfeed him.

Thinking about it more, there's a bunch of mythology about carp turning into dragons (the most common one in video games I think is Pokemon: Magikarp -> Gyarados). So it's fitting to have them in the eternal life/Dragon Heritage place.

Of course the hair being in it doesn't mean its poison. The fact that the carp dies after you feed the bait to it means it's poison. The pot noble explicitly want the carp dead for reasons that should become clear (by SquareSoft standards) soon.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

paragon1 posted:

Of course the hair being in it doesn't mean its poison. The fact that the carp dies after you feed the bait to it means it's poison. The pot noble explicitly want the carp dead for reasons that should become clear (by SquareSoft standards) soon.

Soulslike by Square would interesting. Like a hardcore FF spinoff.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!
Man, that was a great Subnautica update! Oh wait, wrong game.

Jokes aside, the underwater stuff was very creepy this episode. Even just watching the episode and not playing myself, the big fish startled me several times.I thought it was actually kinda pretty at first, until I noticed the face and that it has a lot of teeth. :gonk:

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Oh yeah, peak From right there - everything and everybody is irrecvocably hosed up and corrupted, and the only release is death. DEEEAAAAAATTHHHHH.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Crazy Achmed posted:

Oh yeah, peak From right there - everything and everybody is irrecvocably hosed up and corrupted, and the only release is death. DEEEAAAAAATTHHHHH.
Fairly sure peak From in that regard is Metal Wolf Chaos.

Anyway, is the whole carp/transformation/immortality story based on something real? I thought they were just kept for decoration, but this game seems to be fairly well-grounded in Japanese history, tradition and mythology...

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

ThornBrain posted:

Wait a minute, I think I've seen that fish somewhere before...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Crazy Achmed posted:

Wait a minute, I think I've seen that fish somewhere before...

Coincidentally "Knife goes in, guts come out" is Sekiro's catch phrase

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment

WaltherFeng posted:

Soulslike by Square would interesting. Like a hardcore FF spinoff.

I thought Soulslike by Square was FFXIII, which is why everyone hated it.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

What's interesting is that it looks like immortality here is a pyramid scheme, where everyone is supporting the people above them (the people support the nobles, the nobles want to become carp, the carp seem to seek to become dragons) on the promise of immortality, but the only way to move up the ranks is murdering your competition. So everyone's after immortality in these grand, dignified ceremonial style, and usually getting murdered for it by their attendants who secretly hate them.

So the nobles are eating each other, the carp are getting murdered by the pot noble (and it's not the first great carp to get murdered), I'm guessing Kuro's facing someone's plan to kill him to steal his dragon heritage on top of Genichiro trying to take Wolf's place as his immortal protector.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Precambrian posted:

I'm guessing Kuro's facing someone's plan to kill him to steal his dragon heritage on top of Genichiro trying to take Wolf's place as his immortal protector.
Genichiro doesn't give a poo poo about Kuro himself, he's doing it for Ashina. Letting him get his hands on Kuro for a longer time would most likely just lead to more Senpou-style experiments on extracting the immortality.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!
Speaking of Kuro, has the deal with his particular kind of immortality been explained yet? It seems to be different than the centipede style immortality, which is why Genichiro wanted it so badly? And Genichrio had the 'Rejuvenating Sediment', which I'm not sure if that is the same or different than the centipede stuff.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Kuro is immortal and nearly impossible to injure without the Mortal Blade. But that immortality is the result of being the Child of the Dragon’s Heritage. The Divine Child of Senpou Temple is the result of an attempt to replicate Kuro.

Wolf has the immortality Genichiro desires, which involves some sort of blood pact between Kuro and the recipient, and leaves the recipient immortal but they drain the life force of everyone around them to do so spreading Dragon Rot.

The Divine Child presumably can give people the centipedes in a corrupted variation of Kuro’s blood pact.

The Rejuvenating Sediment appears to also be involved in the Red Eyes, and may be related to the waters of the Divine Palace flowing through Ashina. Our healing gourd also apparently uses them in some manner, and the Hidden Village where we fought the Corrupted Monk originally appears to also have it in some manner.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Ashina is so hosed. Just burn it to the ground so no one ever comes back here.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Lord_Magmar posted:

Kuro is immortal and nearly impossible to injure without the Mortal Blade. But that immortality is the result of being the Child of the Dragon’s Heritage.

Yes, but what does that mean? Does that literally mean he's descended from some divine dragon? If so, where is the rest of his immortal family? Will he grow to adulthood or is he stuck as an immortal child? I feel like I also missed the particulars. The lore in From games is both dense and lightly ever explained, pieced together from breadcrumb hints in random item descriptions, or addressed very briefly in some long-forgotten exposition from the beginning, so it's easy to miss in videos stretched out over months.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

wiegieman posted:

There does seem to be a lack of anyone who was ever sane and normal.

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

Fairly sure peak From in that regard is Metal Wolf Chaos.

Anyway, is the whole carp/transformation/immortality story based on something real? I thought they were just kept for decoration, but this game seems to be fairly well-grounded in Japanese history, tradition and mythology...

The most famous legend associated with carps is the one where a carp that is able to swim up the waterfall known as the Dragon Gate will transform into a dragon, the most powerful of mythological creatures. It's very iconic imagery in Chinese culture (little guys overcoming adversity to become big guys and all that) and somewhat based in fact that carps can actually jump ridiculously high.

The Fountainhead palace is situated at the very top of a waterfall, and you've got common people like the ones in Mibu village and guys like the pot noble trying to become something much greater than themselves, so there's clear links there.

We've yet to see an actual dragon though, I'm pretty curious how they'd be portrayed in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

wiegieman posted:

It seems to be mostly made out of cliffs and ghosts. I don't know why anyone's so keen on conquering it.