Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Panzeh posted:

The javelin troops would be so much better if you could, as the player, have them go on the skirmishing behavior that the AI can put troops on where they back off as they're about to get charged.

Skirmishers are unfortunately classed as Melee troops, if they were classed as Ranged troops you could give them the "Advance" movement order and they'd close on the enemy until they're in range, fire shots, and then back off if the enemy is getting too close. At least according to that one video someone linked, haven't had a chance to try it myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

What's the best way to improve your relationship with your vassals? I have been trying to hand out castles pretty evenly but all my subjects still hate the poo poo out of me, like solid -100 relations. Can I just bribe them happy with all the gold and influence (other than buying one relationship point at a time by giving influence) I have?

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Apr 5, 2020

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

Yeah armor is good but it's not like warband where a coat of plates and a good set of gauntlets makes anything below tier warbow/heavy crossbow plink off you and you can't get in close on the infantry and just pick off stragglers for 30+ kills every battle. It also translates into lower tier troops outperforming compared to what I would expect in a lot of mid-game fights. Recruits are no longer basically worthless but instead worth maybe 1/2 a tier 3 dude when it comes down to the fight.

Also what are they even doing with the story and why am I not more concerned with getting my kidnapped siblings(?) back instead of becoming the bonerlord.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

The story is unfinished, your brother never comes back (yet)

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Skirmishers are unfortunately classed as Melee troops, if they were classed as Ranged troops you could give them the "Advance" movement order and they'd close on the enemy until they're in range, fire shots, and then back off if the enemy is getting too close. At least according to that one video someone linked, haven't had a chance to try it myself.

Could put them in their own class. I was thinking of doing it with my pikemen. There's a little shield next to their names in the party screen, there's 10 different groups so you can do plenty of customization.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

CuddleCryptid posted:

What's the best way to improve your relationship with your vassals? I have been trying to hand out castles pretty evenly but all my subjects still hate the poo poo out of me, like solid -100 relations. Can I just bribe them happy with all the gold and influence (other than buying one relationship point at a time by giving influence) I have?

it's a placeholder don't worry about it

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Gamerofthegame posted:

it's a placeholder don't worry about it

Son of a bitch no wonder I couldn't get it to work

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Welp yeah I am completely unable to play Bannerlord now. After 11 hours or so of having literally no issues, it now just crashes at launch with some sort of d3d error. I did a clean install and tried again and still not able to launch the game. Went to the steam forums and followed Taleworld's recommendations for startup crashes (downloading some executables) but most of them were already installed correctly so that didn't help. Anyone else just not able to launch the game since the most recent update?

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

DrNutt posted:

Welp yeah I am completely unable to play Bannerlord now. After 11 hours or so of having literally no issues, it now just crashes at launch with some sort of d3d error. I did a clean install and tried again and still not able to launch the game. Went to the steam forums and followed Taleworld's recommendations for startup crashes (downloading some executables) but most of them were already installed correctly so that didn't help. Anyone else just not able to launch the game since the most recent update?

Go to mods and try to enable Native?

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I made my first workshop. It's only pulling in like 100 a day and not even paying for my army. Is it only wood that makes the big bucks? I made a wine press because grapes were produced by the nearby villages.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

How do you get the income from your workshop? Since I built one, it isn't automatically paying me or anything.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Ardent Communist posted:

Could put them in their own class. I was thinking of doing it with my pikemen. There's a little shield next to their names in the party screen, there's 10 different groups so you can do plenty of customization.

I don't think this will change their behavior for orders.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Night10194 posted:

How do you get the income from your workshop? Since I built one, it isn't automatically paying me or anything.

As far as I know you should be getting automatic payments, its shown in your income breakdown

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Something must have bugged out, then. Where is the income summary?

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Night10194 posted:

Something must have bugged out, then. Where is the income summary?

Hover over your denars in the world map I think. I dunno if there is another more detailed summary somewhere.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They also show up in the clan screen under "other"

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

wilderthanmild posted:

I made my first workshop. It's only pulling in like 100 a day and not even paying for my army. Is it only wood that makes the big bucks? I made a wine press because grapes were produced by the nearby villages.

I have a woodshop that gives me 80 per day, down from a peak of ~120.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
Huh, my wife died in childbirth.

Can't say I was expecting that.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

DrNutt posted:

Sigourney Cheevos posted:

Go to mods and try to enable Native?

So despite this not being an issue at all since release up until today, I did some googling and found a Reddit post from someone who had the same issue, and a potential fix was to turn off image sharpening in the Nvidia control panel. Lo and behold I tried that, and it worked. Very odd that a setting that didn't cause any problems since day 1 all of a sudden caused problems, but I guess that's the nature of EA/frequent patches for ya.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Airspace posted:

Huh, my wife died in childbirth.

Can't say I was expecting that.

drat that sucks. At least you have lots of free time now for Bannerlords

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Also for workshops there are a few cities around where the Southern and Western empires touch that have 2 grain villages attached to them. I've been setting up breweries there and making like 300+ a day each so far. I'm guessing the game assigns a cut of whatever input is needed to your workshop when it gets sold in the city and having two groups of peasants marching there over and over makes it pretty lucrative.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Caravans make decent money, 500-1000 a day, sucks that they take up one of your companions. Companions seem ultimately most useful as parties in your clan, but none of the templates so far allow for one with better leadership skills.
Their parties are free to call to your armies, making them functionally a cheaper chunk of extra troops that also adventures in their off time, only costing you a smallish amount of money.

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene
In helping the Aserai take over the world, I now have one city and two castles under my control. Even with respectable garrisons in all of them and a 280 man personal army I still pull a little over 3,000 denars / day passively. I'm sure I'm the richest man in the five remaining kingdoms with close to 800k denars to my name, but I wish I had some way to spend that kind of money.

Compared to warband, the economics of bannerlord seem extremely generous to the player.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
I saw a couple tier 5 bows pop up for 300k denars each (as of the latest patch which doubled shop prices for most combat items). In theory if you wanted to gear up all your companions with the best items you could probably blow through quite a bit of money.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
nm

Mazz fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Apr 5, 2020

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
Any trick to avoid skewering yourself on a recruit's spear when charging with a coached lance?

Buller
Nov 6, 2010

Beef posted:

Any trick to avoid skewering yourself on a recruit's spear when charging with a coached lance?

Hit them in the back when they are fighting your own infantry.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
So i've not got any metal for smithing yet but i just sold loads of leather. is that some sort of crafting material? selling it let me upgrade most of my gear. How do i get a companion? Normal recruitment process or through quests?

Rycalawre
Nov 6, 2009

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

This made me laugh a lot

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
If I don't do the main quest (run around for a year chasing nobles), am I unable to form a Kingdom then? What happens when I make my own faction?

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

Jose posted:

So i've not got any metal for smithing yet but i just sold loads of leather. is that some sort of crafting material? selling it let me upgrade most of my gear. How do i get a companion? Normal recruitment process or through quests?

Leather give you cash to fund your calradia murder tour, companions are found in taverns, you just talk to them for a bit and give them some blood money and they will happily murder every peasant in sight

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

I had about five different facial expressions in the space of two seconds after reading this, well done

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

lol I was going to make the same joke

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Storyline question: I've talked to 8 nobles, now I get to pick from two options as to what I'll do with rebuilt banner. Do I need to pick one of them to progress?

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

alex314 posted:

Storyline question: I've talked to 8 nobles, now I get to pick from two options as to what I'll do with rebuilt banner. Do I need to pick one of them to progress?

Yes, but don't progress too far. Eventually I hit a point where the main quest's objective was pretty much "the conspiracy" and the objective was "stop the conspiracy" without telling you how, why, or what to do, but it had a bar representing your efforts to stop the conspiracy versus the conspirator's efforts to stop you, but since you can't actually stop the conspiracy every time I hit the time limit the conspiracy advanced and I think my ruler (Rhagaea) started hating me and I think maybe another kingdom declared war on us.

E: What I'm saying is I'd advise against giving the banner to anyone. Or at least, any of the three Emperors.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Sky Shadowing posted:

Yes, but don't progress too far. Eventually I hit a point where the main quest's objective was pretty much "the conspiracy" and the objective was "stop the conspiracy" without telling you how, why, or what to do, but it had a bar representing your efforts to stop the conspiracy versus the conspirator's efforts to stop you, but since you can't actually stop the conspiracy every time I hit the time limit the conspiracy advanced and I think my ruler (Rhagaea) started hating me and I think maybe another kingdom declared war on us.

E: What I'm saying is I'd advise against giving the banner to anyone. Or at least, any of the three Emperors.

It definitely happens with the non imperial rulers too. Not sure if the conspiracy pops up with a player made kingdom

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

So I've got 40 troops, a companion and about 9k gold after upgrading my weapons and horse. I've done a few quests but am I supposed to just keep riding to the bigger areas to ask about this battle while fighitng stuff along the way because i've not managed to have a fight recently unless it was killing poachers. I tried a hideout but got owned repeatedly so gave up on that and tried to get rid of a rival gang but it was bugged and my people just walked up to the gate then stood still while nothing happened.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Beef posted:

Buy a longer lance :v:

Or more seriously, it's actually quite tricky because the couched lance has very litle traverse, what you really need is to poke (or swing, if a glaive) well off to the side if you're facing spearmen. Couching is more for when you care about damage more than finesse.

Jose posted:

So I've got 40 troops, a companion and about 9k gold after upgrading my weapons and horse. I've done a few quests but am I supposed to just keep riding to the bigger areas to ask about this battle while fighitng stuff along the way because i've not managed to have a fight recently unless it was killing poachers. I tried a hideout but got owned repeatedly so gave up on that and tried to get rid of a rival gang but it was bugged and my people just walked up to the gate then stood still while nothing happened.

There is a difficult stretch in the middle where you can beat lovely looters but you're not big enough to eat lords yet, and annoyingly the only way around that other than raiding caravans and villages is to sign up with a faction and get into their fights, but that doesn't pay very well.

It's kind of an annoying dead zone in the game and I hope they fix it.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Apr 5, 2020

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

Jose posted:

Have you finished the rebuilding your clan quest? If not, do that. You want to join a faction as a mercenary ASAP. Make sure to pick one that is involved in a war rather than at peace with every other faction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Fleetwood Crack posted:

Have you finished the rebuilding your clan quest? If not, do that. You want to join a faction as a mercenary ASAP. Make sure to pick one that is involved in a war rather than at peace with every other faction.

Is that just the: recruit 20 people, 2000 gold and a companion? if not how do i do it because i completed that. If so how do i join a faction