Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Camrath posted:

Bit late on this, but yes.

My flat in Aberdeen had mysterious footsteps every night in the passageway between the bedroom and the lounge. I used to be able to sit on the toilet in the bathroom (which had a frosted glass door opening onto the same passage) and listen to them pass from the bedroom to the lounge, without anything casting a shadow through the door. Asking around, apparently previous owners had reported the same.

And the place in France my parents are currently hiding from the world is a farmhouse that dates back to the 1500s in parts. The upstairs passageway by the bedrooms in one section of it has mysterious footsteps that sound out at 4am when someone in the household is sick, inured or very sad- there’s a legend about a servant named Gaston who died there about 150 years back defending the family from robbers who returns to watch over us.

Weirdly he’s also really active around Easter- only time I’ve ever seen anything or heard activity during the day. First heard him on good Friday 1994, which happened to be the first time my brother and I were left alone in the house. There was stomping back and forth for literally an hour- we ended up breaking open the gun cupboard and fortifying ourselves in the playroom, armed with air rifles. Now if I’m out there over Easter I can almost guarantee I’ll see or hear something. Only saw him clearly once- good Friday 2002. I was ill with stomach cramps so was downstairs in the kitchen (opposite the playroom) on my laptop at about 2am, roleplaying on a Star Wars MUSH. Looked up and saw what I can only describe as a shadow on thin air standing in the doorway- details weren’t clear but it was a male shape about 5’6” and slightly built (smaller and a completely different shape from anyone in the family, male or female). I managed to touch type ‘Guys, I am looking at a ghost right the gently caress now’ to the people I was playing with before it just sort of faded away in front of me.

When you live with ghosts you just sort of get used to them after a while. Before we met my wife worked and lived in ‘The Rose and Crown’ in Warwick, which was absolutely lousy with the things. You just accept that sometimes weird poo poo happens.

How many drugs have you done in your life?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Jippa posted:

A "leading" German virologist:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/04/02/no-proof-coronavirus-can-spread-shopping-says-leading-german/

"Coronavirus has not been spread by shopping or going to the hairdresser, a leading virologist has said after studying a hotspot for the virus.

Prof Hendrik Streeck, leading the response in one of Germany's worst-hit regions, said Covid-19 might not be spread as easily as people believe."

Any thoughts on this?

Streeck has nothing to do with the response in Kreis Heinsberg. It's just that he is leading a Corona-related study which uses data from the affected region, so his name shows up when people talk about COVID-19 in Heinsberg. The first results are supposed to be released in the 2nd week of April. Until then what he says should be taken with a huge lump of salt.

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!

oxford_town posted:

there is also outrage about posh white people going out to enjoy the sun in affluent areas as well.

https://twitter.com/MPSCamandPrim/status/1246529798371004428?s=20

richmond park has been closed for cyclists for about a week now, which mostly (though not entirely) inconviences people with expensive road bikes

If you cant let people go to the park then stop making them go to factory's.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

scotland's cmo already warned about non-essential travel
https://twitter.com/policescotland/status/1246770834154405888

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

This thread is very salty that the Hoff is now Lab leader

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

peanut- posted:

Yeah it's bollocks.

These are highly unusual rules that people aren't used to following. Maybe they could post someone in the park all day to tell the 50 people vaguely breaking the rules in the most densely populated part of the country to stop. Or they could just ban all exercise instead.

Yup. The way you can tell it's media management is that hundreds of people are dying every day and the headlines from the Hancock's big interview are "exercise might be banned".

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/xtophercook/status/1246776173843095553?s=21

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Dell_Zincht posted:

How many drugs have you done in your life?

An awful lot. However at the time of those stories my only vice was whiskey at the weekends (insert joke about ‘spirits’ here).

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Ghosts are real now?

I mean a spectre is certainly haunting Europe.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Josef bugman posted:

And we have a bunch of ghouls in charge of the UK.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Ghosts are real now?

ye'd best start believing in ghost parties, laddie

ye're in one

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

How do you... bulldoze a tennis court?

Isn't it already flat?

You don’t erect a building on tarmac.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

My cat got spooked during the stupid clap on Thursday and ran out and I cant find him so I'm especially salty about it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dell_Zincht posted:

Pages late I know but Double Maxim is basically Newkie Brown but actually decent.

Also Cameron's Strongarm and Jenning's Sneck Lifter.

(Yes i'm from the North East.)

Also don't bother with Old Peculier unless it's from Cask, the bottled and canned versions are pale imitations.

Yes we both live in boro I think.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Catherine Calderwood getting a bollocking by the press atm on Sky News

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Josef bugman posted:

More of a creaky old zombie at this point

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.
Playing the world's smallest violin, just for the nurses.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
i know its hugely unethical and immoral for the doctors and nurses to refuse to treat anyone who voted tory, but

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Comrade Fakename posted:

You don’t erect a building on tarmac.

Oh like dug it all up, that is weird.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

OwlFancier posted:

Oh like dug it all up, that is weird.

I'm with you, I pictured "bulldozing a tennis court" as a needlessly violent alternative to "taking the net down" :v:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

massive spider posted:

My cat got spooked during the stupid clap on Thursday and ran out and I cant find him so I'm especially salty about it.

:ohdear: I hope he's back soon, does he usually disappear for a while? secret second home maybe?

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

We all just have to accept that during these troubled times for the economy, the airlines and ferry companies need the money more.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

OwlFancier posted:

Yes we both live in boro I think.

Ha, I used to, now I live closer to Redcar

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Good choice, better chippies.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/jester/status/1246755541180915712

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ah yes belfast in the 1970's famous for its peace and restfulness.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2020-04-04/coronavirus-closing-china-s-wet-markets-isn-t-a-solution

Good news everyone, rational actors will simply chose not to give business to stalls which infect them with insane new pandemic viruses!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
A thriving free market in viruses.

Soylent Yellow posted:

A lot of air rifles are tuned pretty close to the legal limit, and factors such as the weight of pellets and variation of power can push them over. If an airgun is averaging 11.7 ft lbs and one out of 20 test shots reads 12.01, it's a firearm.

Soylent Yellow posted:

The reason I haven't gone FAC is that it's too much hassle. I could do so and would stand a pretty good chance of getting a full certificate, but don't see any reason to jump through the various hoops. If I had to, I would, but only the more serious airgunners would. A lot would just give up or not bother registering, and it would virtually eliminate any new blood coming into the hobby.

learnincurve posted:

Problem I see there is that it’s not actually that hard to get a shotgun licence, you just need a lockable cabinet and a clean record and once the air rifle people realise that it’s the same checks then they will go for the big gun licence.

Soylent Yellow posted:

This is a can of worms the police really don't want to open. They already struggle keeping up with firearm and shotgun certificates, so having to process an airgun license similar to Scotland's would be a massive headache.

Soylent Yellow posted:

This is my main concern. To put it in a rather crude fashion, I would like to see just enough of a barrier to entry to keep airguns out of the hands of the kinds of people likely to use them to go hunting the local cat population and shooting out windows.
I was thinking about this on my official allocated walk just now, and I think I have a solution.

One of the places I was walking was a field backing on to some housing. Kids playing in back yards, pets out, and loving gigantic hares the size of cats running through the field munching on things.

For pests that size, using a legal over the counter air rifle would be neither humane nor reliable, but using a shotgun that close to housing would be inconsiderate to say the least, so any sensible regulatory system should encourage the safest option. But it doesn't at the moment, because it's harder to get a 36 ft-lb air rifle than a 3,000 ft-lb scattergun that throws lead balls everywhere and startles cats. That's crazy.

So, a possible solution, write air guns out of the firearms act entirely. Like redefine it from 'a lethal barrelled weapon of any description from which any shot, bullet or other missile can be discharged' to 'a lethal barrelled weapon of any description from which any shot, bullet or other missile can be discharged by the action of a chemical propellant', because that's what firearms are.

Then bring in an entirely separate piece of legislation that makes it a criminal offence to buy, sell, manufacture, import, transfer, etc, etc, any air gun (above, say, 1 ft-lb, so everything except plastic airsoft guns) without a valid DBS check that's clean of any animal abuse, domestic violence, mugging, armed robbery, etc.

So that would hopefully ease some of the strain on firearms certificates, as pest controllers with FAC air rifles would no longer need them, it might also reduce the number of shotgun certificates as farmers find it more convenient to choose less dangerous guns, and it should allow Joe Farmer to easily buy a suitable gun to control hares while discouraging John Gammon from buying an air gun for his tearaway grandson by presenting a minor hurdle that's just enough to piss off the idiot crew. And it wouldn't extend to possession so dad's spring gun in the attic isn't suddenly a firearm if it's a warm day, and it's achievable with existing legal mechanisms.

Of course with any cure-all there's probably something I'm missing there, but it seems to avoid the pitfalls of the Scottish licensing experiment.

Hares were too far away to get a good picture but I also saw some hennes just chilling so here's a birb pic.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Can't be arsed typing it up again but I've processed my feelings about Starmer et. al.:

https://twitter.com/CouncilCulture/status/1246808513424343043

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Boz gardener kicked of the Shadow Cabinet. Ye shall be missed

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Lavery out too.

Hopefully he keeps some of the existing shadow cabinet around, but as long as he doesn't enlist a significant number of known twats I'll remain hopeful.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
drat who could have predicted this after the papers changed their tune

https://twitter.com/afneil/status/1246703530842435585

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Aidan_702 posted:

Boz gardener kicked of the Shadow Cabinet. Ye shall be missed

thats why this popped up then

https://twitter.com/michaeljswalker/status/1246816094809206784?s=20

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
It's been just over 24 hours and he's made nothing but bad decisions so far.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Camrath posted:

An awful lot. However at the time of those stories my only vice was whiskey at the weekends (insert joke about ‘spirits’ here).

I am enjoyed reading about Gaston.

Been in our first house nearly 18 months, my wife is convinced the house is haunted. I'm not so sure but have had a couple of the classics, last week had strong tobacco smell in the hall with no source two days running, two weeks ago we were in bed about to turn in for the night, lights out and the duff floorboard in the bedroom creaked liked it had been stood on, we laughed about how ungraceful the cat was until we heard his collar jingling downstairs.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Answers Me posted:

It's been just over 24 hours and he's made nothing but bad decisions so far.

The website 'How-many-days-since-Starmer-made-a-good-decision.com' is close to buffer overflow so he might get to make another one soon!

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Bacon Terrorist posted:

I am enjoyed reading about Gaston.

Been in our first house nearly 18 months, my wife is convinced the house is haunted. I'm not so sure but have had a couple of the classics, last week had strong tobacco smell in the hall with no source two days running, two weeks ago we were in bed about to turn in for the night, lights out and the duff floorboard in the bedroom creaked liked it had been stood on, we laughed about how ungraceful the cat was until we heard his collar jingling downstairs.

We had the tobacco thing here, turns out next door smoke

Melissa McCarthyism
Jan 18, 2007

Seems they are having technical issues today with the CV update lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/TheTrashiesUK/status/1246822049340895232

lol, Novara (or at least Bastani) are definitely going to do a bit of pivoting to keep their relevance for this new administration