Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

I'm reheating some frozen pulled pork and I randomly threw in some leftover peas solely because I don't want to waste veggies right now. Serving it on toast and made some cole slaw with the last 1/4 of a cabbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
I'm working through the freezer and what's soon to expire in our fridge. I ended up making a pork wellington because I had an extra tenderloin and puff pastry in the freezer. I needed 4 or 5 slices of prosciutto but only had 3 so I had to make that work. The good eats recipe also called for dried apples; I used pitted dates that I hand chopped.

Turned out great!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Chashu pork in a ginger shoyu-ish broth.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I have no idea what to make for this week. My staples of meatballs, Japanese curry, and broccoli soup are getting me a little down. I get that we're hunkered down, but I wanna eat something new this week. Any suggestions?

The hard part is choosing something, cause there's so much choice :(

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

I have no idea what to make for this week. My staples of meatballs, Japanese curry, and broccoli soup are getting me a little down. I get that we're hunkered down, but I wanna eat something new this week. Any suggestions?

The hard part is choosing something, cause there's so much choice :(

Fresh pasta? Braised Lamb?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

VelociBacon posted:

Fresh pasta? Braised Lamb?

Low carb, so no pasta. Though that might be changing due to our situation...

Braised lamb sounds dope though! Ooh, wait a minute, I've actually been meaning to make this: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/04/jewish-braised-brisket-recipe.html and I'm not jewish, but passover food looks delicious and I want some.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Apr 5, 2020

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

atothesquiz posted:

I'm working through the freezer and what's soon to expire in our fridge. I ended up making a pork wellington because I had an extra tenderloin and puff pastry in the freezer. I needed 4 or 5 slices of prosciutto but only had 3 so I had to make that work. The good eats recipe also called for dried apples; I used pitted dates that I hand chopped.

Turned out great!

drat, that looks so good. You said it's a good eats recipe? Gonna have to make that.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Reverse seared NY Strip.

200 degree oven until steak hits 120 degrees.

Seared for 45 seconds each side.

Served with twice baked potato and the last of my fresh veggies.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

Thoht posted:

drat, that looks so good. You said it's a good eats recipe? Gonna have to make that.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/pork-wellington-recipe-1917666

I've made it before and it always turns out great. I'd say you can sub in pretty much everything but the puff and the pork. The picture above was dates instead of dried apples, and some spice brown mustard to fill in what I couldn't cover with the rest of my whole grain mustard. You could probably also sub in some other herbs instead of fresh thyme too.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Pollyanna posted:

Low carb, so no pasta. Though that might be changing due to our situation...

Braised lamb sounds dope though! Ooh, wait a minute, I've actually been meaning to make this: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/04/jewish-braised-brisket-recipe.html and I'm not jewish, but passover food looks delicious and I want some.

If you want my family's secrety brisket recipe, basically take that recipe and swap out the Ketchup for this:

https://www.heinz.com/product/00013000001120

And remember to cook it with the fatty side up

I feel like all of my family heirloom recipes came out of a magazine in the 50s :shrug:

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

The Glumslinger posted:

I feel like all of my family heirloom recipes came out of a magazine in the 50s :shrug:

A lot of secret family recipes are like this. I remember reading that someone collected like 200+ 'secret' recipes and of those something like 90% were exactly or almost exactly the same as a recipe found on a can of evaporated milk printed in the 40's or something.

Edit: I can't find it. I found the reddit thread where I think someone was talking about it but can't seem to find the comment where they linked the article.

sterster fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Apr 6, 2020

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Homemade Chick-Fil-A style sandwich with boneless skinless thighs and homemade CFA sauce. A+++ would recommend splattering oil all over your kitchen.

DIY Chick-Fil-A by charliebravo77, on Flickr

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

charliebravo77 posted:

Homemade Chick-Fil-A style sandwich with boneless skinless thighs and homemade CFA sauce. A+++ would recommend splattering oil all over your kitchen.

Holy poo poo :gizz:

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

charliebravo77 posted:

gently caress dude

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

silvergoose posted:

Chashu pork in a ginger shoyu-ish broth.

:whatup: ramen buddy

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

charliebravo77 posted:

:circlefap: welp, i know what i'm planning for dinner tomorrow. hope i've got enough peanut oil.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Oneiros posted:

:circlefap: welp, i know what i'm planning for dinner tomorrow. hope i've got enough peanut oil.

I used regular vegetable oil since I don't regularly have peanut around. Tasted great anyway.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I used sunflower oil a few weeks ago when I had a similar hankering and while it wasn't perfect, still turns out fine

Now that I know how easy it is to recreate chick-fil-a sauce though.. that poo poo is dangerous

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

kumba posted:

Yeah I used sunflower oil a few weeks ago when I had a similar hankering and while it wasn't perfect, still turns out fine

Now that I know how easy it is to recreate chick-fil-a sauce though.. that poo poo is dangerous

Yeah, it's just mayo, mustard, bbq sauce and honey. Super simple.

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

charliebravo77 posted:

:aaaaa:

tokyo reject
Jun 12, 2019

when she's tryin to slide into your dm's but you wanna talk about a better america

made some pesto and feta lasagna, pureed up some canned cannellini beans with some garlic salt (lol) and a shitton of meyer lemon zest and bit of champagne vin for the sauce instead of marinara. minced up some canned artichoke hearts and sautéed off with some minced fresh garlic before shingling them in there too

edit: forgot also topped with the bottom shake left of a shredded pizza mozzerella bag :v:

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Pesto and feta lasagna sounds amazing. I'll have to pesto and feta some pasta or make some lasagna (never made homemade lasagna before, but homemade pasta is just homemade pasta)

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

tokyo reject posted:

made some pesto and feta lasagna, pureed up some canned cannellini beans with some garlic salt (lol) and a shitton of meyer lemon zest and bit of champagne vin for the sauce instead of marinara. minced up some canned artichoke hearts and sautéed off with some minced fresh garlic before shingling them in there too

edit: forgot also topped with the bottom shake left of a shredded pizza mozzerella bag :v:

Yo this looks badass.

Did a shrimp and grits. I like doing mine casserole style. Half cheddar half muenster in the grits, trinity, bell peppers, diced ham, bacon, parsley, paprika, cumin, thyme, black pepper, top with parm, bake just until the shrimp are cooked, brown the parm on the broiler.

tokyo reject
Jun 12, 2019

when she's tryin to slide into your dm's but you wanna talk about a better america

gonna go on a tart bender this week i think, stumbled on my old tart molds today. some banana cream tarts (kinda, not really, that's just whip cream from a canister) with just a little flour/water/butter/salt for the dough and some dulce de leche from a can of sweetened condensed milk in the cabinet that time forgot (also made super ghetto style in the microwave in a pyrex bowl)

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Lunch today.

Cubano sammies

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

toplitzin posted:

Lunch today.

Cubano sammies

I see your delicious looking Cubano and raise you... a hummus sandwich with bean sprouts :blush:

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

oh poo poo we can post lunch sammies in the dinner thread, somebody let sandwich anarchist know

roast beast, caramelized onions, pickled peppers, arugula, horseradish

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
Ohh, cuban sandwiches! I just made this one yesterday.

I baked the bread (not a traditional cuban roll), made the pickles, cooked the pulled pork and the pork roast that I sliced. I did not make the swiss cheese or the mustard. It was a good day.

And the pre-grill shot

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

beerinator posted:

Ohh, cuban sandwiches! I just made this one yesterday.

I baked the bread (not a traditional cuban roll), made the pickles, cooked the pulled pork and the pork roast that I sliced. I did not make the swiss cheese or the mustard. It was a good day.

And the pre-grill shot

I have never had a Cuban sandwich, I have no idea where in London I would procure one (particularly now!) but goddamn I want one.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I too made my own cuban bread and pulled pork. :)

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Still enjoying the new bbq so tried making ribs. Came out super juicy.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

toplitzin posted:

I too made my own cuban bread and pulled pork. :)

I don't have access to yeast or flour right now :(

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat

sterster posted:

Make sure you have some pretty meaty 1.5-2in porkchops.

When making your meat pocket try to keep the entry hole small. I don't know how to explain how to cut the pocket but here it goes. You want to face the blade left. Push the tip all the way to the right wall of the pork chop. Wait till you feel the poke of the tip of knife though the wall. You're probably going to poke your fingers Then you move the pork chop back and forth on the blade all the while moving the point up the right hand side, to the back and down the left side of the pork chop. This should make the inside pocket as big as possible. I do pipe the filling it. It takes some technique. Here are some suggestions on the filling.

for 2 pork chops I use
10-12oz if spinach
Wilt that down. let cool a bit. Then squeeze out the excess moisture, there is more than you think.
Grate 4oz of Havarti
Dice on the small side your artichoke hearts
Chop the spinach then combine all 3 add to piping bag

Try not to over fill the pork chops as they will turn rounded and not get a good crust/sit flat in the pan. As for heat it's med high/high. Just something that's going to get me a good sear. I intentionally don't sear the bottom as they are going to sit in the pan while it finishes in the oven.

Cook time for ~150f @ 400 is about 15-ish min

OK then chief, lets see how I go!

Sent the better third down to the market with instructions to come back with 2 x 2" thick pork chops.

well. gently caress.

I'm definitely no butcher, but I decided I was up to the challenge. Or you know, just give it a go.

this is what I ended up with. Not pretty, and probably not right.

made some meat pockets and squeezed SO much liquid out of my spinach & artichokes

another setback!

good thing we have this glorifed blender sitting in the corner of the kitchen taking up space

this piped much easier

had some stuffing left over, so I did some piquillo peppers too

voila!

now, what do I do with all this?

I'm sure it's useful for something

Chicarrones for the skin maybe? the bones into a stew maybe? I'm happy to hear your ideas.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.
Baking megapost over the past couple of days... The wife has been working a tremendous 48 hours in community care, so wanted to make sure she had something lovely and hearty to come back to...

Dinner yesterday afternoon... I made a nice, rich chicken and mushroom pie with a creamy, herby sauce (tarragon, wild garlic and parsley, with just a hint of fennel, caraway and anise to make it that little bit more special), with a puff crust, and some nice chunky chips.

And we've got some 3 cheese and bacon turnovers, and something a bit different too, with some mushroom, potato and cheese savoury rolls...

The missus has been an absolute trooper with all the work she's being doing in plagueworld, so I'm going to do everything I can to make sure she's looked after and well fed at the moment.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat

Olpainless posted:

The missus has been an absolute trooper with all the work she's being doing in plagueworld, so I'm going to do everything I can to make sure she's looked after and well fed at the moment.

Well done, that all looks super delicious. Chicken & mushroom pie with chips rings a huge comfort food bell for me, it was a regular staff meal at the first pub I worked at.

Nice work taking care of the wife. My partner works in a hospital and I'm dreading what's to come. Thankfully our area is fairly well controlled at present, but it can't stay that way forever.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

slothrop posted:

Chicarrones for the skin maybe? the bones into a stew maybe? I'm happy to hear your ideas.

You can make crackling, and crackling dust even if you really render it out. If that’s too much, put a big old bit of it in a pot when you make minestrone or some other tomato based soup. The bones make great stock for udon noodle dishes or pho.

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe

two shoulders on a fine spring morning

I've had an iGrill for 2 or 3 years at this point. If I stretch it out as far as the cables reach, and I sit inside at my desk to work from home, I am seriously an arm's length outside of the bluetooth range on my phone. as in, if I lean across my desk and extend my arm, it picks up the temps. it's infuriating. instead of "moving my desk" or "getting off my rear end", naturally I figured the best thing to do would be to buy a fireboard. it'll be here in two days.

edit; whoops thought this was the horse butthole thread

ixo fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Apr 8, 2020

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

slothrop posted:

OK then chief, lets see how I go!
voila!

NICE! That's cool to see someone else take a stab at something that I've worked on over the years. The peppers are a nice touch too. Yeah there is so much liquid that comes out of the spinach. I've never blended my stuffing just because :effort: dicing has always worked.

How'd you like them? Hope it was a nice change from standard porkchop. As for the leftovers Chicaroones is always delicious and like you said make pork stock for uh...chashu ramen, idk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

ixo posted:

two shoulders on a fine spring morning

I've had an iGrill for 2 or 3 years at this point. If I stretch it out as far as the cables reach, and I sit inside at my desk to work from home, I am seriously an arm's length outside of the bluetooth range on my phone. as in, if I lean across my desk and extend my arm, it picks up the temps. it's infuriating. instead of "moving my desk" or "getting off my rear end", naturally I figured the best thing to do would be to buy a fireboard. it'll be here in two days.

You will not regret the fireboard. I love mine.

One suggestion. Take it apart, plug the holes and give the board itself a quick shot of conformal coating. Just in case you leave it outside/ it rains during a cook. Cheaper than paying for their bespoke case.