Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

An animated graph showing the cum number of posts in the corona thread vs cum worldwide deaths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zyme
Aug 15, 2000

watching this made me realize that i will never again be able to watch a video on the internet without anticipating the appropriately timed cut to pallbearers dancing while carrying a casket

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

GABA ghoul posted:

I've been thinking about any way out of this nightmare that's not gonna take years and the only solution I can think of is a Morlock/Eloi type situation. Once reliable antibody tests become available we can test for immunity and allow the immune people to return to regular life. They can then keep the country running and fed and provide for all the Morlock people stuck in their homes.

Hell, with the huge number of infected I have a a chance of being immune already. It's a small hope, but I don't really see any other light at the end of the tunnel. :smith:

that's not what will happen though. the "infected" will just translate into a permanent forced labor force while all the rich live in gilded private enclaves with their assets growing and the non rich live on barely live able UBI collected for the infected labor force.

there's another side thing happening here that's not really talked about. if you're "shelter in place" and middle class or better you have exercise equipment at home, access to good delivery food, can pay out for private classes online for you and your kids, and it's a chance for real self improvement. if you're poor or working class that's often not the case, so all you can do is drink yourself selling get high and put on pounds. The quality of life gap between groups is probably going to expand massively.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

y’all weird. it’s a hard pap like Pap smear then awww. peepaw is like some Texas poo poo or something.

Utz
Aug 1, 2008

by vyelkin
meemaw, peepaw, baby's got the diarrh-yehaw

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

From the New York Times article on using google search as an epdiemiological tool:

quote:

Consider Ecuador. The official data says that while Ecuador has among the highest rates of Covid-19 cases per capita in South America, it has a lower case rate than the United States, Canada, Australia, Iran and most of Europe.

At the same time, Ecuadorians are now making more searches related to loss of smell than any other country in the world, once you adjust for total Google searches. Searches for “no puedo oder” (“I can’t smell”) are some 10 times higher per Google search in Ecuador than they are in Spain, even though Ecuador officially reports more than ten times fewer Covid-19 cases per capita than Spain does. Ecuadorians are also right near the top in searches for fever, chills and diarrhea.

Thats not good.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

https://twitter.com/crampell/status/1246832090794151936

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
On a lighter note

https://www.tampabay.com/special-reports/2020/04/04/in-the-villages-americas-biggest-retirement-oasis-the-dangers-of-coronavirus-stack-up/

quote:

The analysis is based on estimates that 20 to 60 percent of the country could become infected. It assumes 29 percent of people over 65 may have to go to the hospital. Combining those estimates with census data, as few as 4,000 people in the Villages might need hospital beds, or as many as 12,000.

According to new state data, as of Friday, the Villages Hospital had 152 staffed beds, 32 of which were available. UF Health Leesburg Hospital, another nearby hospital Villagers use, had 205 beds, with 47 available.

Faust gave a higher number of staffed beds and said hospitals can increase their capacity if necessary. The UF hospitals already have lowered their patient volumes by a third, he said.

Even when the Harvard researchers assumed all the hospitals in the area would be able to cut their occupancy in half to care for more coronavirus patients, they still found both regions might need more beds if the outbreak unfolds quickly.

All three counties that surround the Villages have unusually few doctors, according to a community-needs assessment prepared by a local nonprofit. In Sumter County, where most of the Villages is located, the number of physicians per resident was 155 percent below the state average during the 2017-2018 fiscal year, the report said.

And if the Villages does become a hot-zone for coronavirus cases, the community will be counting on a hospital that some residents have said can’t be relied upon for emergency care under normal circumstances.

The Villages Hospital is only one of 228 in the country that the federal Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services has given a one-star quality rating, on a scale of one star to five. Faust said the hospital is decorated for its care in some specialties and noted the rating system is controversial.

The hospital has been criticized for years over long emergency room wait times, with residents complaining on social media and in letters to Villages-News.com.

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

jfc

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
I have to reschedule my wedding and we're paralyzed trying to figure out if October 2020 or May 2021 is even close to far enough.

Super first world problem.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

and Ma’am like, yes mam, also hard, aww. I swear to god none of you have poor family from Appalachia.

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Pook Good Mook posted:

I have to reschedule my wedding and we're paralyzed trying to figure out if October 2020 or May 2021 is even close to far enough.

just elope and save everyone the trouble of catching the virus

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Pook Good Mook posted:

Oct maybeee but itll be back by may so lose lose

Zyme
Aug 15, 2000

yeesh

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
emo Philips is good

https://twitter.com/emophilips/status/1246563766998716416

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Pook Good Mook posted:

if May isn't far enough, I don't think your problems are going to be first world problems any more

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

This is Christian Science cult stupidity

WHAT THE gently caress

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

oh good, here comes yet another gold star family for trumo to attack

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

splifyphus posted:

moralizing enjoyment is arguably the most totalitarian form of liberalism. enjoyment is a mechanism, not a moral distinction. anything can be enjoyed and said enjoyment or lack thereof is totally meaningless. what matters is the results of your actions, not whether or not you enjoy them.

if your idea of a better world is 'everybody enjoys the good things the good way like me a good person' then you're already living in it. your (very protestant) mode of enjoyment and the grotesque theological moral hierarchy that comes along with it is spread and enforced by a massive media apparatus, one of the functions of which is precisely to domesticate and homogenize enjoyment. it's never going to get better than this for you.

this is a really dumb post

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

when persians die for the economy they do it in style

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Oct maybeee but itll be back by may so lose lose

Exactly my thought.

We got court married back in Feb so she could get on my insurance anyway, the "wedding" is really for everyone else. We're both in our 30s with no kids and want to have them, I think it might just be October for anyone comfortable coming, anyone who can't make it is invited to come to our house to have a private party.

new kind of cat
May 8, 2007
i spent all of last night tripping balls and visiting a world of splendor and beauty

how’re things on planet earth?

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

From the New York Times article on using google search as an epdiemiological tool:

Thats not good.

Yeah that's pretty damning

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

Been growing a beard in quarantine.

When does it stop loving itching? Is it never? Do people with beard have itchy faces all the time?

Nah you just gotta stick with it until it just kinda stops on its own

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

my bony fealty posted:

drat, he dead

he's going to golf

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

i cannot believe an actual real human person is named chad livengood

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

ted hitler hunter posted:

An animated graph showing the cum

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

splifyphus posted:

moralizing enjoyment is arguably the most totalitarian form of liberalism.

And there was me thinking it had something to do with the completely unchecked power the rich have over the rest of us

Actual Satan
Mar 14, 2017

Keep on partying!

You'll NEVER regret it!

Trust ME!

People, for your own safety I beg you do not worship Jesus Christ. Stay at home and smoke weed.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

new kind of cat posted:

i spent all of last night tripping balls and visiting a world of splendor and beauty

how’re things on planet earth?

turmp

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

Squizzle posted:

i cannot believe an actual real human person is named chad livengood

the chad livengood vs the virgin livenbad

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Pook Good Mook posted:

Exactly my thought.

We got court married back in Feb so she could get on my insurance anyway, the "wedding" is really for everyone else. We're both in our 30s with no kids and want to have them, I think it might just be October for anyone comfortable coming, anyone who can't make it is invited to come to our house to have a private party.

Adopt

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
Interestingly enough, the top searches for "I can't smell" in the last 30 days, sorted by state (conspicuously absent is Washington):

1. New York
2. New Jersey
3. Louisiana
4. Connecticut
5. Indiana
6. Nevada
7. Colorado
8. Michigan
9.Massachusetts
10.Maryland
11. Georgia
12. Illinois
13. Missouri
14. Wisconsin
15. Texas
16. California
17. Virginia
18. Tennessee
19. Arizona
20. Ohio
21. Florida
22. Pennsylvania

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

seems like my fever broke after 3 days but i feel like i got punched in the balls so maybe the virus is just attacking my sack

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

MysteriousStranger posted:

there's another side thing happening here that's not really talked about. if you're "shelter in place" and middle class or better you have exercise equipment at home, access to good delivery food, can pay out for private classes online for you and your kids, and it's a chance for real self improvement. if you're poor or working class that's often not the case, so all you can do is drink yourself selling get high and put on pounds. The quality of life gap between groups is probably going to expand massively.

I've been doing both. it owns.

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
I bought a book to learn to code Python while in the ‘tine. I’m going to automate so many mail merges!

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

Even jesus practiced social distancing

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

Dog Toothbrush posted:

Literally every camper from RV parks to state parks is now forced into dispersed campgrounds, I'm sure it's going to be fun and safe out there

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/camping-areas-closed-several-north-georgia-counties-due-coronavirus/CG3GFTNJNVFNHP5RL32N2BITDE/

quote:

GAINESVILLE, Ga. — The Chattahoochee-Oconee National Forests is temporarily shutting down all dispersed camping corridors, day-use areas, trailhead facilities and other recreation sites on the Blue Ridge Ranger District to protect public health and safety.

It's going to be worse

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Atrocious Joe posted:

I want the conservative movement to split between the "China must pay" camp and the "US had an outbreak in November" camp
https://twitter.com/kerpen/status/1246819569802625025?s=20

they are so desperate not to accept reality

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
is there an adjective for "smug whiteguy forehead"