Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
I want my loving money mr trump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

Zil posted:

Honestly surprised this hasn't started occurring in the US yet.

i've only seen one slick stick lit up and a small cell, most us cell towers are behind a locked gate (shout out to my fellow wireless people who know how hilariously bad the combinations are on the gates!!) with barbed wire. plus the gravel access drive and compound isn't rascal scooter friendly, precluding a lot of people from getting close. and the small cell sites in :911: are mostly in areas w/o rf tinfoilers

britain is the perfect storm of obese but still mobile people who have had their social mobility dreams & retirement destroyed by capitalism

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Mayor Dave posted:

I want my loving money mr trump

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I normally can hear the sound of trucks on the highway coming out of the pass and towards Seattle and Tacoma. when they close the pass it gets quiet and it’s really noticeable.

today is the first day I don’t hear trucks on the highway, in the same way as it would be if the pass was closed.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I normally can hear the sound of trucks on the highway coming out of the pass and towards Seattle and Tacoma. when they close the pass it gets quiet and it’s really noticeable.

today is the first day I don’t hear trucks on the highway, in the same way as it would be if the pass was closed.

hearing loss is a symptom :ohdear:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I noticed all the dogs stopped barking at my apartment this week since everyone is WFH.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

fosborb posted:

hearing loss is a symptom :ohdear:

still hearing the abundance of birds.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

new kind of cat posted:

could someone kindly link me to the post which crowned our latest thread title

can't find it right now but there was an article from an ER doc yesterday about how it mentally shattered him that a patient used their last words on a phone call to family and asked them who's going to pay for their treatment. like right before they stick a tube down your throat and you have maybe a 20% chance of survival the docs are nice enough to give you a phone call so people can hear your voice for one last time. the doc said the whole system is hosed.

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost

Zil posted:

Honestly surprised this hasn't started occurring in the US yet.

We did have a guy try to drive a train into a boat

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
https://twitter.com/Carnage4Life/status/1246579721585868800?s=19

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

etalian posted:

I noticed all the dogs stopped barking at my apartment this week since everyone is WFH.

my dog is the happiest he has ever been and if we ever go back into the office he will get off his elderly haunches and systematically Turner and Hooch our entire drat house

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Bar Ran Dun posted:

we did just get some weather and the passes have a bit of snow, but ouch yeah that's not good to hear trucks aren't running across the state

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

mod sassinator posted:

can't find it right now but there was an article from an ER doc yesterday about how it mentally shattered him that a patient used their last words on a phone call to family and asked them who's going to pay for their treatment. like right before they stick a tube down your throat and you have maybe a 20% chance of survival the docs are nice enough to give you a phone call so people can hear your voice for one last time. the doc said the whole system is hosed.

US docs make a ton of money off this though right like doctors in most countries are absolutely not multimillionaires in business for themselves right

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

fosborb posted:

my dog is the happiest he has ever been and if we ever go back into the office he will get off his elderly haunches and systematically Turner and Hooch our entire drat house

good dogge 13/10

TheLemonOfIchabod
Aug 26, 2008
Deaths are DOWN in New York? Crisis OVER?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

shovelbum posted:

US docs make a ton of money off this though right like doctors in most countries are absolutely not multimillionaires in business for themselves right

lmao no, docs in the US are getting pay cuts and fired right now. the private hospitals aren't making money off poo poo like bariatric surgery, plastic surgery, etc. that have all been canceled and are just about to collapse. cutting pay and people is like a 'holy gently caress we're screwed and maybe this hail mary will give us another month to survive' move

in a month we will have a completely non-functional healthcare system in the country. we'll probably have half our doctors and nurses sick too, given the lack of PPE anywhere

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

TheLemonOfIchabod posted:

lol this happens every weekend

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

mod sassinator posted:

we did just get some weather and the passes have a bit of snow, but ouch yeah that's not good to hear trucks aren't running across the state

about a week and a half ago I had to drive south for work all the way to Oakland and north south truck traffic on 5 was normalish. wonder if that’s still the same.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

thanks I'm gonna use this for my classes!

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

new kind of cat posted:

i spent all of last night tripping balls and visiting a world of splendor and beauty

how’re things on planet earth?

chaptits

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

quote:

Louisiana Gov. John Bel Edwards on Sunday said his state could run out of ventilators by the end of the week if the number of confirmed coronavirus cases continues to surge in his state.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

The statisticians called in sick

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

shovelbum posted:

it's exactly like how us college costs skyrocket and the professors are making bank and mad stacks, cruising to the campus in their lambos

Quetzadilla
Jun 6, 2005

A PARTICULARLY GHOULISH SHITPOSTER FOR NEOLIBERLISM AND THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY

shovelbum posted:

A lot of US private practice docs got bought out by PE-owned hospital networks with promises of partnership only to be hosed over and treated like any other employee and ground into dust. At this point I think many small private practices are shuttered because all elective work is cancelled and they don't have poo poo to deal with covid like ICU beds or good quarantining infrastructure, to say nothing if how hard it'd be to get PPE resupplied

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

mod sassinator posted:

lmao no, docs in the US are getting pay cuts and fired right now. the private hospitals aren't making money off poo poo like bariatric surgery, plastic surgery, etc. that have all been canceled and are just about to collapse. cutting pay and people is like a 'holy gently caress we're screwed and maybe this hail mary will give us another month to survive' move

in a month we will have a completely non-functional healthcare system in the country. we'll probably have half our doctors and nurses sick too, given the lack of PPE anywhere

These are acceptable downsides to the free market that manufactured the iPhone you are currently posting with

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Nah, people just take off the weekend from dying. They'll get back at the dying factory tomorrow.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

mod sassinator posted:

I don't mean off the covid obviously I just know that the mansion part of town is full of doctors who are the only ppl there who work at all

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

GABA ghoul posted:

I've been thinking about any way out of this nightmare that's not gonna take years and the only solution I can think of is a Morlock/Eloi type situation. Once reliable antibody tests become available we can test for immunity and allow the immune people to return to regular life. They can then keep the country running and fed and provide for all the Morlock people stuck in their homes.

Hell, with the huge number of infected I have a a chance of being immune already. It's a small hope, but I don't really see any other light at the end of the tunnel. :smith:
Let me spoil the ending of that plan: everyone just lies about being immune so they can go back to work and rolls the dice on whether they end up getting owned by the Roni because it beats starving.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

WHERE IS THE VACCINE TWODAY?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Quetzadilla posted:

A lot of US private practice docs got bought out by PE-owned hospital networks with promises of partnership only to be hosed over and treated like any other employee and ground into dust.

Oh no poo poo, that's like the worst possible outcome so I shouldn't have been surprised

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

twoday posted:

The statisticians are all dead

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

Maybe don't make your 5G towers look like IG-88 if you don't want scruffy hooligans to blow them up.

Quetzadilla
Jun 6, 2005

A PARTICULARLY GHOULISH SHITPOSTER FOR NEOLIBERLISM AND THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY

mod sassinator posted:

Yeah the firings/paycuts are happening to hospital employee docs, not docs who own their practice (or in partnership with other docs). Theyre hosed in exciting and different ways.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

knox_harrington posted:

I enjoy that Kushner appears to be constantly on the verge of tears whenever he speaks. What an epic rear end in a top hat.

https://mobile.twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1246808428070293512

Love also that the rear end in a top hat in chief is personally misdirecting medical research.

Lol, you remember lysenkoism? It's back, but dumber!

Nitrousoxide posted:

Ah yes, surely this won't create incentives for people to purposefully get infected so they can be freed of their lockdown, thus entirely defeating the aim of spreading out the curve.

What are the alternatives though? Can't keep keep the current state going for a year+ or we are looking at total societal collapse and removal of all measures anyway. There has to be some kind of way out of the situation. Sitting around and continuing as we are is not in any way solving anything. Is a Chinese style attempt to contain it even remotely plausible in the west? Morlock solution is the best plan I've heard until now

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

https://twitter.com/carlquintanilla/status/1246824731363487745

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

fermun posted:

pizza with bean puree instead of tomato sauce! beans are a miracle food.
https://twitter.com/90sSlowJamz/status/1246628002475040769

hello

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Bar Ran Dun posted:

still hearing the abundance of birds.

hearing birds is a for sure symptom :ohdear:

Star Phlatulence
Jan 14, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Bleak Gremlin
please, mister president, call off your bio-weapons

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

SorePotato posted:

These are acceptable downsides to the free market that manufactured the iPhone you are currently posting with

excuse me, it's an $800 samsung S10

EXCUSE ME, GOOD SIR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

mod sassinator posted:

excuse me, it's an $800 samsung S10

EXCUSE ME, GOOD SIR

Wrong! Wrong! Wrong! Wrong! Wrong!