Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

I haven't watched it, and I've been reading this whole time.

There wasn't a modern trek thread when it was first coming out, and I didn't want spoilers, so here we are.

The free month of CBS means I was able to get caught up. Discovery is alright, 2nd season was better than the 1st. I'll get to Picard this week I think. And the rest of the shorts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

My summary of Picard: I'm Admiral Jean-Luc Picard, and this is my favorite outrageous costume shop on Freecloud.

I am loving stoked because I just found out that my wife has never seen Darmok and we're watching it in a couple of hours.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Arglebargle III posted:

There's nothing to spoil. Spoilage implies there was something good there to begin with.

Please gently caress off with this attitude. Take it elsewhere.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Tighclops posted:

All the "good" parts are probably already on youtube

I think part of the reason modern Trek stuff gets dunked on so harshly is that it's not the late 80s/early 90's anymore and Star Trek isn't basically the only game in town; it just sucks compared to many of it's contemporaries.

I don't know what "it isn't the only game in town" has to do with anything, it's not like CBS is at some disadvantage hiring writers or directors.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

it's not like CBS is at some disadvantage hiring writers or directors.

*Looks at the slate of CBS shows.*

Are you sure?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

You have been warned.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

The_Doctor posted:

Anybody who's played the Mass Effect games will recognize this poo poo that goes down in this show, that's hardly our fault

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

The_Doctor posted:

They already admitted they never watched past the 4th episode, their whole gimmick for the last three years has been drive-by shitposting for shows they don’t even watch.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Big Mean Jerk posted:

They already admitted they never watched past the 4th episode, their whole gimmick for the last three years has been drive-by shitposting for shows they don’t even watch.

And if you do watch a show you don't like to completion it's hatewatching, and if you don't watch it at all based on reviews/trusted opinions it's not giving it a fair chance. But we're the fanboys. :jerkbag:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

McSpanky posted:

And if you do watch a show you don't like to completion it's hatewatching, and if you don't watch it at all based on reviews/trusted opinions it's not giving it a fair chance. But we're the fanboys. :jerkbag:

I’m just saying there’s a huge difference between folks like Tighclops and Lizard Combatant, who don’t like the show but are still obviously arguing in good faith and actively contribute to good discussions, and people like Arglebargle who just like to troll and shitpost endlessly.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I sat through a season-and-a-half of discovery plus all 10 episodes of Picard and as much as I was hoping to enjoy both, at this point I have to say the material just doesn't deserve the consideration you're looking for and I can't blame people like Arglebargle for dumping on it the way they do. Star Trek was never high art but what they are doing now is nearly embarrassing in how pointless and derivative and nonsensical and ultimately loving shallow it all is. I won't judge anybody for enjoying it, or looking for nuggets of gold in a sea of poo poo because I've been there and I enjoy stories of questionable quality myself. But honestly I've read Transformers comics in the past 5 years that have more to say then any Star Trek story since loving Enterprise.

<Dukat>and that's sad

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’m just saying there’s a huge difference between folks like Tighclops and Lizard Combatant, who don’t like the show but are still obviously arguing in good faith and actively contribute to good discussions, and people like Arglebargle who just like to troll and shitpost endlessly.

Can we make a chart of all the posters and their placement on a spectrum Tighclops-->Arglebargle?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Brawnfire posted:

Can we make a chart of all the posters and their placement on a spectrum Tighclops-->Arglebargle?

Easy. If someone is posting in this thread, there's a good chance they're on a spectrum, and possibly a watch list.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I genuinely want to know what modern shows Arglebargle, Tighclops, and Lizard Combatant enjoy and think are good.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

mllaneza posted:

Easy. If someone is posting in this thread, there's a good chance they're on a spectrum, and possibly a watch list.

:gowron:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Oh good the Modern thread is leaking into this one

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I genuinely don't think allowing modern show discussions in here because it's been my experience that people who "like" a show will relentlessly attack people who talk about the show instead of talking about the show.

Not eager for this thread to also be full of accusations and people diagnosing each other with mental disorders.

Anyway, here's a good Star Trek scene we were talking about this morning:

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Apr 5, 2020

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Brawnfire posted:

Well, we know Landerig is chaotic neutral, so there's a starting point.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I genuinely want to know what modern shows Arglebargle, Tighclops, and Lizard Combatant enjoy and think are good.

The Expanse, The Orville, I was watching Vikings for awhile there but lost track after they got to Paris because my work schedule changed. I'm very excited to see the next season of For All Mankind and I hope they got it in the can before the world ended

and no before somebody accuses me of it I don't like the Orville because it has lots of beige or is edited like a 90's show goddamnit

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I hope Hulu does a free month so I can catch up on the Orville. But I also have doom eternal, Narcos Mexico, rear end Odyssey, Punisher, Six Ages, Divine Divinity to catch up on already and that's just what's on my computer.

That's why I cancelled Hulu there's just too much to do with screen time already. And then there's my Kerbal projects.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Man this Deep Space Nine rewatch is getting to me a little bit more than I expected due to the recent passings of Aron Eisenberg and Rene Auberjonis. :rip: to a couple of real ones.

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

wretched single ply might as well use my socks

DrNutt posted:

Man this Deep Space Nine rewatch is getting to me a little bit more than I expected due to the recent passings of Aron Eisenberg and Rene Auberjonis. :rip: to a couple of real ones.

This made me watch Aron's invterview for the DS9 documentary, watching him tear up, praise the crew, praise the writers for giving him material, and praise the fans, the man was so gracious and heart warming. Nog was such a well developed chararcter, from being a misguided brat, his path to enroll in starfleet, getting caught up trying to be the best, to his breakdown and rebuild, he really gave so much to the character.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The main problem with Picard is when Starfleet arrived it didn't have the Romulan flagship fire on the planet with a conveniently slow-moving blob of green which the camera tracks down from the warbird towards the planet before BAM it splatters against the shields of the Enterprise (Or Titan, whatever) swooping majestically in front of camera and that's when the Star Trek theme swells and the rest of Starfleet drops out of warp. Are these people novices? Do they not know how a last-minute arrival rescue scene goes? Gawd.

:colbert:

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Sash! posted:

Sometimes a few more appearances too.

Like the Ferengi pre-DS9.

The Borg work the opposite way: they started off better.

I've watched DS9 and up to S5 of TNG and yeah the Ferengi are so much different in TNG, it was actually really weird at first

That's a shame to hear about the Borg though, I really like them as an enemy so far...

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

So I've been watching TNG on Netflix and I have to ask, this is the HD remaster right? I just started season 2 and the first couple of episodes seem a bit off. There's some shots of the Enterprise and it seems to be lit weirdly, like if it were CGI I'd say that some of the textures failed to load in properly. Then there's shots on the bridge where there's this grainy texture on the film. Seems kind of odd for a remaster.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Eighties ZomCom posted:

So I've been watching TNG on Netflix and I have to ask, this is the HD remaster right? I just started season 2 and the first couple of episodes seem a bit off. There's some shots of the Enterprise and it seems to be lit weirdly, like if it were CGI I'd say that some of the textures failed to load in properly. Then there's shots on the bridge where there's this grainy texture on the film. Seems kind of odd for a remaster.

Season 2 has some shots that they clearly couldn't find a better version of, and they are really grainy and bad looking.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Eighties ZomCom posted:

They fired the effects shop that was responsible for the season 2 remaster.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The SFX shots were notoriously bad on Season 2 as mentioned due to the fact that CBS Digital wasn't doing them.

As far as gain, that's just film. Seeing the grain is good because that means it was scanned properly and wasn't slathered in DNR.

The amount of missing footage across all the episodes that had to be upscaled is less than 30 seconds. There's 2 second clip in "We'll Always Have Paris" and a 13 second clip in "Sins of the Father". I think those are the only two episodes effected, but I'm not 100% sure.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

bull3964 posted:

The amount of missing footage across all the episodes that had to be upscaled is less than 30 seconds. There's 2 second clip in "We'll Always Have Paris" and a 13 second clip in "Sins of the Father". I think those are the only two episodes effected, but I'm not 100% sure.

I think the missing footage from Sins of the Father was eventually found and used in the season 3 Blu-ray release, but they had to use upscaled footage for that Next Level release (which was basically a pilot project for the remastering).

Pastamania
Mar 5, 2012

You cannot know.
The things I've seen.
The things I've done.
The things he made me do.

MikeJF posted:

The main problem with Picard is when Starfleet arrived it didn't have the Romulan flagship fire on the planet with a conveniently slow-moving blob of green which the camera tracks down from the warbird towards the planet before BAM it splatters against the shields of the Enterprise (Or Titan, whatever) swooping majestically in front of camera and that's when the Star Trek theme swells and the rest of Starfleet drops out of warp. Are these people novices? Do they not know how a last-minute arrival rescue scene goes? Gawd.

:colbert:

It should have been the Enterprise D, and no it won't ever be explained.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Timby posted:

I think the missing footage from Sins of the Father was eventually found and used in the season 3 Blu-ray release, but they had to use upscaled footage for that Next Level release (which was basically a pilot project for the remastering).

That looks to be correct, so I don't know if there's just that one 2 second clip they couldn't find or if there was more.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Pastamania posted:

It should have been the Enterprise D, and no it won't ever be explained.

The baby entity from "Emergency" comes back as a living starship that looks just like the Enterprise-D.

(I checked out that episode on Memory Beta and apparently nothing was done with the ship's creation, it seems like the kind of thing published fanfic authors extended universe curators would love.)

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

bull3964 posted:

That looks to be correct, so I don't know if there's just that one 2 second clip they couldn't find or if there was more.

I'm pretty sure there's some others but I'm not sure where they are.

I know there's also at least a couple of VFX shots that had to be redone because they couldn't find one of the passes; for example, the shot of the Enterprise leaving the junkyard in Unification is (gorgeously rendered!) CGI. Also I'm pretty sure all the four-footer warp flybys were redone in CGI.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Admiralty Flag posted:

I am loving stoked because I just found out that my wife has never seen Darmok and we're watching it in a couple of hours.

Tight.

The best thing to come out of The Picard Show is you can reply "Riker" when asked "Who's the best captain?" I mean, you could before but this shores up your case.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I'm pretty sure there's some others but I'm not sure where they are.

I know there's also at least a couple of VFX shots that had to be redone because they couldn't find one of the passes; for example, the shot of the Enterprise leaving the junkyard in Unification is (gorgeously rendered!) CGI. Also I'm pretty sure all the four-footer warp flybys were redone in CGI.

They did CGI recreations in cases where they reused shots from other episodes as well (and digitally retouched reversed graphics when they used flipped model camera shots.) There were actually a LOT of minor tweaks and for the most part they are unnoticeable and that's a good thing.

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/observations/tng-r-changes.htm

Stuff like missing reflections on surfaces for stuff that was composited in later as well as fixed continuity in places (where various beams come out of the ship, like in encounter at farpoint.)

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Apr 6, 2020

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

oh but seriously I posted:

Tight.

The best thing to come out of The Picard Show is you can reply "Riker" when asked "Who's the best captain?" I mean, you could before but this shores up your case.

You misspelled Pike, but it is funny that both All Acess shows have guest captains stealing the spotlight.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
It always annoyed me that the whole point of Saucer separation was for the Saucer to flee while the Drive section fought, but all the phasers are on the Saucer section.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

galagazombie posted:

It always annoyed me that the whole point of Saucer separation was for the Saucer to flee while the Drive section fought, but all the phasers are on the Saucer section.

The drive's got all the torpedoes and (I think) two phaser strips near the nacelles.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

galagazombie posted:

They aren't, not by a long shot. Galaxy class is armed to the loving teeth.

There's one on the forward ventral hull, one at the base of each warp pylon, four total on the rear of the engineering section (two top two bottom), one on each side of the rear of the cobra, and then finally one on the top of the front of the cobra that's only exposed after the saucer is separated.

Only 2 of the 12 arrays are on the saucer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
naw man the stardrive section had tons of phaser strips too there are so many pictures man how is this conversation happening