Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Is there a tabletop simulator thread? Did a search and can't find one... sort of surprises me if so :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Serephina posted:

5 hours into The Witness and I think it's starting to fray at the seams a bit. It started strong, with teaching scenarios for its (one, singular, loving-) mechanic and some blurbs both praising god and condemning religion. The puzzles started getting harder and more sideways thinking, which is good, but also started getting stupid; like, try to decipher notes that we're playing sounds over, or memorize-this moments. And the blurbs lost all focus, and now see to be some sort of grab-bag of meaningful sounding long rambling speeches that they scraped from wherever they could in the public domain.

Does the game pull it together soon? Because at the moment its seeming like a knock off of Talos Principle, but lacking all charm or stimulation.

Just ignore the sound stuff, you only need to activate 7 of the 11 lasers to finish the game. Also ignore the village area until you've been through every other area, if that has stumped you - it is placed close to the start of the game, but you are not supposed to understand the puzzles there yet.

Did you discover the big "secret" of the game yet?

Don't want to spoil it directly, but it is revealed a bit into this video, if you want to know it. It is also a great video in general about The Witness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOJC62t4JfA

ymgve fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Apr 5, 2020

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

slidebite posted:

Is there a tabletop simulator thread? Did a search and can't find one... sort of surprises me if so :/

I don't think so and I've been wanting one too

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

ShootaBoy posted:

It's amazingly big. And there's stuff absolutely everywhere, even out in the middle of the ocean they've dotted rare ships to find and fight, so there's always something to reward exploring. You can also sequence break the poo poo out of quests by doing stuff like accidentally finding and killing a guy before you even know about the quest and you'll still get rewards whenever you eventually stumble across the questgiver.

My shock and excitement when I ran into my first historical site - it wasn't on the map! I found it organically! I'm so excited for those!

Also wow I love how they integrated ship combat into this one, I look forward to more sailing. Though my greatest enemy rears its head: those shanties. I can't leave the ship while they're singing, it's law.

slidebite posted:

Make your own!

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

StrixNebulosa posted:

It took me five hours to make it off of the first island in AssCreed Odyssey and make it to Megaris. That included exploration, sidequests, and enjoying ocean combat.

Jesus christ. I knew this game was huge but it's really gobsmacking how giant the map is, the scale of it.

Yeah, my experience with Odyssey was running around the first island, doing all the quests and feeling super satisfied at its conclusion and thinking "Well, that was pretty cool! What are there, like, 10 more areas like that? That'd be good."

And then finally zooming out the map. And feeling fear in my map marker addicted soul.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Yeah, Odyssey is legitimately just too big. They could've cut down the map size to a quarter of what it is and it wouldn't have harmed the game any.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
While that is true, gamers should probably have learned by now that just because there's a marker on a world map they don't really have to go there and put a check mark on it.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

StrixNebulosa posted:

My shock and excitement when I ran into my first historical site - it wasn't on the map! I found it organically! I'm so excited for those!

Also wow I love how they integrated ship combat into this one, I look forward to more sailing. Though my greatest enemy rears its head: those shanties. I can't leave the ship while they're singing, it's law.

Make sure to try out the discovery mode tour thingy sometime, its legitimately really good and you get to see all sorts of cool historical poo poo both real and in game.

Your crew will also keep singing even after you step away from the helm, so you can pull into port and hear them singing away as you walk into town, it's so good.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

orcane posted:

While that is true, gamers should probably have learned by now that just because there's a marker on a world map they don't really have to go there and put a check mark on it.

Uh, I've been training this Skinner box for 30 years. Why would I break it now?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Stickman posted:

Uh, I've been training this Skinner box for 30 years. Why would I break it now?
It really says something about how unironically true this is that I found myself going "Yeah, but...!" in my head before checking myself and reflecting about what I was actually thinking there.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

orcane posted:

In the spirit of the guy who said "because it's there" and then climbed the mountain and died, I too must go to every marker on a map

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The map being too large and having a billion markers everywhere just makes me not want to explore at all

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Volte posted:

I got most of the way through The Witness and then stopped because I got stuck on the few remaining puzzles, and with nothing else left to do and the charm of wandering around the same areas over and over wearing thin, I ended up just fizzling out and never finishing it. For a really well done open-world puzzle game (though not the same type of puzzles as the Witness as it's more adventure game style) check out Supraland. It's a silly Metroidvania that managed to engage me enough that it became the only game on Steam that I actually got all the achievements for. It's by the guy that made the Notpron flash puzzle game from back in the day if anyone remembers that.

Speaking of exploratory puzzle games, I have to recommend Antichamber.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGsnm2nOnso

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's possible to filter out most of the map icons in Odyssey so that you can save you from yourself.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I wouldn't mind it as much if a lot of it didn't feel kind of pointless. I mean, why ever go to any of the hundred different little towns and cities that all have the same three shops with the same items in them, anyway? Might as well just go to the most reachable and forget that the rest even exists, because it's not like you can find anything unique there.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I MUST HAVE ALL THE NUMBERS

Orv
May 4, 2011

Orv posted:

Number go up, Orv get happy.

Number go down, Orv get confused.

Please refer to my PhD thesis.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Then don't?

I just went to islands with quests, did the quests, completed a few locations if I felt like it and left once the island's quest chain was done.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It just seems weirdly counterproductive and wasteful to me, I guess. If you make a huge open world, it seems like a common-sense thing to me that you would want to give the player a reason to see all of it at some point. Otherwise, why have it be there? It's not like making a place that nobody ever goes to see makes it cheaper to design and model it, but I guess it's their decision to make, not mine.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Andrast posted:

The map being too large and having a billion markers everywhere just makes me not want to explore at all

Yeah I'm this way too. I got over the "omg lets explore this big map" honestly rather quickly after developers started to release large open world maps

Mostly because they hide things sometimes in obtuse locations and I am just tired of that poo poo now

I can't recall any single player game that has made me go "but what if I want to go over there?"

What's interesting over there? probably nothing.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Ragequit posted:

Speaking of exploratory puzzle games, I have to recommend Antichamber.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGsnm2nOnso
Oh yeah, this one's great too. One thing to keep in mind (spoiler, but I personally recommend reading it before you play because I know someone who dropped the game because of this) they give you a 90 minute time limit to finish it, and then when it runs out, nothing happens except it tells you not to live by someone else's watch. Har har, I guess, but some people are allergic to games where you have to solve puzzles under pressure. Just rest assured there's no pressure.

nekoxid
Mar 17, 2009

So uh... I just received two card drops from a game I did not started. Is this a thing now on Steam?
(I checked my accound data, and everything checks out, no access from other places, no email from Steam Guard.)

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

nekoxid posted:

So uh... I just received two card drops from a game I did not started. Is this a thing now on Steam?
(I checked my accound data, and everything checks out, no access from other places, no email from Steam Guard.)
It happens sometimes if a game you've played before adds cards. They're essentially backdated card drops. Is it World of Goo?

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

nekoxid posted:

yes, that is completely normal.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Cardiovorax posted:

I wouldn't mind it as much if a lot of it didn't feel kind of pointless. I mean, why ever go to any of the hundred different little towns and cities that all have the same three shops with the same items in them, anyway? Might as well just go to the most reachable and forget that the rest even exists, because it's not like you can find anything unique there.

I get the criticism that the quests are very copypaste and there's no real reason to go to places outside of the main quest other than to explore.

That said, so far I'm a fan of Ubi's version of Ancient Greece (level 17). There are enough biomes and scenery to make it enjoyable to sightsee and explore and everything feels pretty unique. There have been much worse open world games.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Tezzeract posted:

That said, so far I'm a fan of Ubi's version of Ancient Greece (level 17). There are enough biomes and scenery to make it enjoyable to sightsee and explore and everything feels pretty unique. There have been much worse open world games.
Oh yeah, I definitely meant that in terms of gameplay. It's an excellent to-scale model of Ancient Greece for sure and if you want to do the tourism thing, then just firing up the Discovery Mode and getting a guided tour of the game world is absolutely worth it.

It's just that a lot of places have a serious lack of anything other than visuals, content-wise, and as much as I like trekking in real-life, in games I find that lack of density a bit annoying. It's why I think downscaling the world would've done it some good. There is unique content and caves full of special sets and such to find, they're just so few and far between compared to how humongous the world is. You could still have the visuals and the beautiful scenery, but the world would just feel a bit less empty.

The game really reminds me Elder Scrolls: Daggerfall that way, which had an almost infinitely huge procedurally generated overworld, but only a handful of really unique locations. The downsides of that kind of design model are why later games seriously stepped back down in scale.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

slidebite posted:

In the board game thread you’ll find a link to our Board game goons discord. We have a Tabletop Simulator channel and arrange games there.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Volte posted:

Oh yeah, this one's great too. One thing to keep in mind (spoiler, but I personally recommend reading it before you play because I know someone who dropped the game because of this) they give you a 90 minute time limit to finish it, and then when it runs out, nothing happens except it tells you not to live by someone else's watch. Har har, I guess, but some people are allergic to games where you have to solve puzzles under pressure. Just rest assured there's no pressure.

Way back when I first started playing that game, I put it down for months and never played it again because I thought it was a hard time limit. Even after I learned it was fake, I never really felt like going back.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

In the spirit of the guy who said "because it's there" and then climbed the mountain and died, I too must go to every marker on a map

If you see a question mark on the edge of map, far from any quests or routes and you don't go explore it on the off chance you find something amazing there, you are not human.

Yes, I know that all that's there is a small shack guarded by three bandits with 30 gold and vendor trash inside, shut up, it changes nothing. :colbert:

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I don't really consider it exploration if there is a glowing icon saying there is stuff in a place, but that's just me.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

ZearothK posted:

I don't really consider it exploration if there is a glowing icon saying there is stuff in a place, but that's just me.

Rise of the Tomb Raider is an example of way too much sign-posting. I finally reached this hidden valley/land/whatever, so I decide to open my map. There were so many chorelists there that I promptly turned off the game and never fired it up again.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Lt. Lizard posted:

If you see a question mark on the edge of map, far from any quests or routes and you don't go explore it on the off chance you find something amazing there, you are not human.

Yes, I know that all that's there is a small shack guarded by three bandits with 30 gold and vendor trash inside, shut up, it changes nothing. :colbert:

I think that's part of why exploration gets tiresome in what I like to call Ubisoft-style open world games. You see a bunch of markers and you get curious, so you spend your first few hours exploring...and there's nothing really interesting going on. Even the act of exploring itself isn't all that interesting, usually it's just a long trek where you might fight a random mob or two.

So unless you're a completionist you just kinda either get bored and ignore everything (while being annoyed you can't unlock a certain cool thing because you don't have skill points) or FOMO hits and you burn out.

nekoxid
Mar 17, 2009

haldolium posted:

yes, that is completely normal.
Ah okay. Thanks.

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

It happens sometimes if a game you've played before adds cards. They're essentially backdated card drops. Is it World of Goo?
It was Little Inferno.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Blattdorf posted:

Rise of the Tomb Raider is an example of way too much sign-posting. I finally reached this hidden valley/land/whatever, so I decide to open my map. There were so many chorelists there that I promptly turned off the game and never fired it up again.

I just ignored pretty much everything except bonus tombs and sidequests.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Blattdorf posted:

It's a matter of degrees, I'd say. This is one of those things where a middle ground actually tends to be best. Some people would say that having a map of a place makes it not proper exploration anymore, either, but that's just how you get ultra-hardcore retro games that only a real grognard would ever play because most people just don't have the time or the patience for that kind of thing. Neither extreme is really all that great.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Dias posted:

I think that's part of why exploration gets tiresome in what I like to call Ubisoft-style open world games. You see a bunch of markers and you get curious, so you spend your first few hours exploring...and there's nothing really interesting going on. Even the act of exploring itself isn't all that interesting, usually it's just a long trek where you might fight a random mob or two.

So unless you're a completionist you just kinda either get bored and ignore everything (while being annoyed you can't unlock a certain cool thing because you don't have skill points) or FOMO hits and you burn out.
Odyssey is pretty good about that, though, due to the fact there are historical locations scattered all over Greece. I normally don't have much patience for exploring, but finding a spot and reading a historic blurb about it gives you little breaks in the middle of the game that help a lot to make it feel less like busywork (that it actually is).

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

Odyssey is pretty good about that, though, due to the fact there are historical locations scattered all over Greece. I normally don't have much patience for exploring, but finding a spot and reading a historic blurb about it gives you little breaks in the middle of the game that help a lot to make it feel less like busywork (that it actually is).

wait, where can you read the historic blurb? Is there a note on the ground or something?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

wait, where can you read the historic blurb? Is there a note on the ground or something?
There's a map mode that highlights historical locations and if you mouse over it, it gives you a short info window. It's turned off by default, just check for it in-game.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

There's a map mode that highlights historical locations and if you mouse over it, it gives you a short info window. It's turned off by default, just check for it in-game.

aha, thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

StrixNebulosa posted:

IIRC it's on the map, there's a filter that shows the historical locations you discovered and if you center your map on them it gives a couple sentences on it.

e: f; b. Anyhow, it's nowhere near as cool as Origins' tour mode but I found it pretty interesting.