Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

now that is an Illegal Party Toilet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

My Spirit Otter posted:

that's because they wouldn't be able to plant drop guns and we'd start seeing a lot fewer "clean" shoots
What? Let's assume that all police were carrying smart guns. Non-smart guns would still be a thing; they wouldn't magically disappear all of a sudden. So how would the fact that the officer's primary gun is a smart gun prevent an officer from keeping a second drop gun to plant on someone?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Poor man’s Lockwood

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

What song would a musical garbage truck play?

Anything by U2.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

Yes and it's being atomized and sprayed directly onto the exhaust and turbo.

Strange fact - garbage truck rolls down the street passing dozens of garbage cans until it stops in front of house where guy is filming. Unloads can and starts on fire. Nothing suspect here...

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Neutrino posted:

Strange fact - garbage truck rolls down the street passing dozens of garbage cans until it stops in front of house where guy is filming. Unloads can and starts on fire. Nothing suspect here...

It’s the recycling truck and the other bins are for garbage.

Maybe.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

Neutrino posted:

:awesome:

*sucks on retainer*

ACKSHUALLY!

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

What song would a musical garbage truck play?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Neutrino posted:

It drives past all the green garbage bins and stops at the blue recycle bin.

LookieLoo
Feb 10, 2011

Why film a garbage truck? Trains I can understand, but a garbage truck? That's hosed up

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Craptacular posted:

What? Let's assume that all police were carrying smart guns. Non-smart guns would still be a thing; they wouldn't magically disappear all of a sudden. So how would the fact that the officer's primary gun is a smart gun prevent an officer from keeping a second drop gun to plant on someone?

but if cops had to have biometric guns, they wouldn't be allowed to regular old guns, making it a lot harder to carry a drop gun. Sure it wouldn't eliminate it, but it would probably drastically reduce it

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Craptacular posted:

The idea is it would be part of a system with an always-running-while-on-duty body cam, GPS, and other metrics. It would make it harder (not impossible) for officers to falsify shooting incidents. Several have been caught already planting drop guns and drugs even with the basic bodycams in use today.

That said, current biometric auth methods are a joke and are no where near ready for something as critical as life-safety of a firearm.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

SniperWoreConverse posted:

I mostly remember this dude was something dumb like a dirt farmer or cobbler or something and was getting increasingly hosed over by life and he tried to appeal to the space empress and got mocked by her local official

but the gun store'll be there for you buddy, liberty comes from the barrel of a gun

e: after googling it we gotta be talking about the same thing cause at first he hated the gun store

This is definitely The Weapons Shop, by A.E. van Vogt. I know you already googled it. I’m confirming.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

LookieLoo posted:

Why film a garbage truck? Trains I can understand, but a garbage truck? That's hosed up

I never found out if this was one of those things the internet made up and it went viral but a while ago I was told (again, by the internet) that kids loving loved watching garbage trucks.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Kibayasu posted:

I never found out if this was one of those things the internet made up and it went viral but a while ago I was told (again, by the internet) that kids loving loved watching garbage trucks.

Someone I know has a kid who has dressed up as a garbage truck for Halloween. Kids love garbage trucks.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

When I was little I was fascinated by construction equipment and garbage trucks being pretty close to that I watched them come by every week and knew our regular guys names and birthdays and made birthday cards for them and picked out Christmas presents etc...

It is definitely a thing.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
I had a toy garbage truck as a kid and i would put real garbage in it. It was awesome!

From an OSHA perspective, I read that garbage collectors get stung by wasps and bee's multiple times per day and I was like drat that's a pretty horrible work place hazard to endure.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Took me a minute.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

My Spirit Otter posted:

but if cops had to have biometric guns, they wouldn't be allowed to regular old guns, making it a lot harder to carry a drop gun. Sure it wouldn't eliminate it, but it would probably drastically reduce it
By definition a "drop gun" is a gun that doesn't have any link to the officer, and therefore is outside regulations. "Regular old guns" wouldn't just magically disappear from the population at large, even if they were made illegal. During the course of their work, cops tend to recover guns, some/most of which would be "regular old guns", giving crooked cops a source of "regular old guns" to use as drop guns. Biometric guns wouldn't fix the drop gun problem.

MRC48B posted:

The idea is it would be part of a system with an always-running-while-on-duty body cam, GPS, and other metrics. It would make it harder (not impossible) for officers to falsify shooting incidents. Several have been caught already planting drop guns and drugs even with the basic bodycams in use today.

That said, current biometric auth methods are a joke and are no where near ready for something as critical as life-safety of a firearm.
I'm not really disagreeing you, except to ask what more do you want that current body cams don't provide, which would require a biometric gun to implement?

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

Kibayasu posted:

I loved the garbage truck as a kid. I don't know why; kids are stupid.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

It's a job where adults use cool machines (aka big toys) and it's one of the few you get to observe from your house regularly.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

General guideline: A child's interest in a particular vehicle is directly proportional to how many hydraulic cylinders it has

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

LookieLoo posted:

Whenever I get a follow or a like on my Flickr, I generally check back to see who is doing that, see what kind of stuff they are producing, maybe drop them a reciprocal follow or something if they are cool. I've seen Flickr accounts full of nothing but thousands of photos of city buses (the same city buses, from the same smallish city), accounts of nothing but electricity pylons, accounts full of nothing but manhole covers. No matter how mundane and pointless somethign may be, there's guaranteed to be someone obsessively cataloguing it.

Also the music they would play would be something by Fun Lovin' Criminals.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/ChaosCharza/status/1246619973641961474?s=20

Lots of OSHA in that thread. Motorcyclist in first clip lived, but no sure of extent of injuries.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

LookieLoo posted:

Maybe your city just got some new ones with weird new loading mechanisms and you wanted to share the unusual system with people, either because you want to discuss how silly it is (like we did), or because you're a garbage truck weirdo, of which I'm 100% sure there are some because there's basically nothing that doesn't have at least a few people really excited about it.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Deformed Church posted:

Maybe your city just got some new ones with weird new loading mechanisms and you wanted to share the unusual system with people, either because you want to discuss how silly it is (like we did), or because you're a garbage truck weirdo, of which I'm 100% sure there are some because there's basically nothing that doesn't have at least a few people really excited about it.

"guyz today I saw an ML36 but instead of the normal loader it had what looked like the power unit off a Mack 13 or 14 with the arms from a 12. Check out how janky the throbulator connection is lol. Racoon City Santitation must really be hurting for money"

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/e1YfRMp.mp4

Iron Chef Ramen
Sep 15, 2007

HA HA! YOU HAVE CHOSEN POORLY!

:stare: ahhhhhhh

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Aerocross

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
20-wheel drift

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

https://i.imgur.com/HMDVCpN.mp4

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Put that in the meme with those dancing pallbearers.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

whoops wrong thread

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

MASTO DOOORRRIIIFTOOOOO!!!!!!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I wonder what that feels like for the people in the tail

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Sagebrush posted:

I wonder what that feels like for the people in the tail

wwwwwhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/0K04CkP.mp4

I don't even understand what the plan was here.