Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

I have a week of mandatory vacation coming up on Thursday, I'm planning on going balls-deep on another Subnautica-run with my new graphics card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Bannerlord continues to entertain. Being on the assaulting side of a siege is loving great. I charged my horse up a siege tower and onto the battlements and started hacking at dudes. Then I got cut down with arrows. Loving this poo poo.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Not empty quoting but was stunned when I saw this wasn't a Vas post.

lmao same

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I have a week of mandatory vacation coming up on Thursday, I'm planning on going balls-deep on another Subnautica-run with my new graphics card.

I can't wait till the standalone expansion is finished.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Handsome Ralph posted:

I can't wait till the standalone expansion is finished.

Oh yeah, I grabbed that quite a while ago because while I was super late to the Subnautica-party, I felt like supporting the devs with early access.

Release was originally planned for right the gently caress now half a year back, but they realized they'd need quite a bit more time to work on the story, so I'm assuming it won't drop before the summer.

They're currently planning on wiping the story currently in the game, so if you feel like dipping your toes into it, you're not gonna spoil yourself on what's going to be the end result.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I'm mostly through my second shot at Subnautica. Last time I did not get as far as tripping that* timer, so it has been interesting. Right now I need some depth upgrades to finish the last of the story.

*That 45 minutes or so of the Sunbeam coming in is interesting. It went like this for me, which is probably what the devs intended:

1. It's over already? Should have stopped answering radio messages. Guess I'll wander over.
2. Oh wow there is land in this game. OH WOW WHAT THE gently caress IS THAT.
3. Okay cool, alien facility, this is neat. Sunbeam is gonna flip out. Orbital defense system? Huh?
4. Alrighty then I have some disease and the Sunbeam is probably going to die with all hands in about twenty minutes.
5. Ooh teleporter shiny
6. NOW where the gently caress am I. Oh hey there's a neat outpost to watch the Sunbeam get exploded from.
7. Time to go caving.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Doom Eternal is pure entertainment. The id creative director Hugo Martin made a point that the game is basically ultra violent Disney. He’s not joking.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Yeah I just finished it this morning. Really enjoyed it but thought the platforming could get a little old. The last boss was really fun too.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

ive been replaying doom 2 and just walking around in awe of the level design at times

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

I heard RE3 sucked. I still have to beat RE2... think I’ll work on that.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

bloops posted:

Doom Eternal is pure entertainment. The id creative director Hugo Martin made a point that the game is basically ultra violent Disney. He’s not joking.

I just built a new system and played through a few levels of DE on Ultra at 2k. It was beautiful.

And horrifying.

And awesome.

:getin:

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
Rebooting Doom 2016 is the smartest thing they could have done at iD. Doom 3 and Rage were pretty lackluster. Quake live was a great fan service but it wasn’t anything new. Doom 2016 was a kick in the teeth and felt like what modern shooters should be. Doom Eternal seems like the next logical step of that and it’s great. I’m one of those weirdos that still plays doom/quake/HL mods for my FPS single player experience, so it was a very welcome breath of fresh air.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

There needs to be a new arena shooter a la Unreal Tournament.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Doom 2016 and Eternal are very clear examples of why having a singular vision and strong creative direction matter. They’re uncompromising in achieving what id set out to do. Eternal even more so.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Woofer posted:

re3 is my favorite after code veronica

i havent played the remakes at all yet though

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

re3 is my favorite after code veronica

i havent played the remakes at all yet though

Reviews say the remake cut a lot of content and takes about 6 hours to beat and has no replay value. No thanks for $60.

I hope they do a really good CV reboot. It’s probably my favorite RE too (I really liked 7 though... until the ship portion).

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

sucks because i love nemesis as a character. it felt like resident evil splatterhouse and that was dope back in the psx days

code veronica was so good, i hope it doesnt get hosed up

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Doom Eternal 100% Ultra Nightmare has been acomplished: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cliPqRwq-k

Now we'll see where the record ends up. For reference the Doom 2016 100% Ultra-Nightmare is at 2:17 which is absurd speed https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDkWioXuPz0

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

Rebooting Doom 2016 is the smartest thing they could have done at iD. Doom 3 and Rage were pretty lackluster. Quake live was a great fan service but it wasn’t anything new. Doom 2016 was a kick in the teeth and felt like what modern shooters should be. Doom Eternal seems like the next logical step of that and it’s great. I’m one of those weirdos that still plays doom/quake/HL mods for my FPS single player experience, so it was a very welcome breath of fresh air.

Same, HL mods are eternal. Sometimes I open Hammer and make a quick map just for a nostalgia hit.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

rage had the best shooting mechanics for forever

and levels were great

but jfc the vehicles

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

EBB posted:

I'm mostly through my second shot at Subnautica. Last time I did not get as far as tripping that* timer, so it has been interesting. Right now I need some depth upgrades to finish the last of the story.

*That 45 minutes or so of the Sunbeam coming in is interesting. It went like this for me, which is probably what the devs intended:

1. It's over already? Should have stopped answering radio messages. Guess I'll wander over.
2. Oh wow there is land in this game. OH WOW WHAT THE gently caress IS THAT.
3. Okay cool, alien facility, this is neat. Sunbeam is gonna flip out. Orbital defense system? Huh?
4. Alrighty then I have some disease and the Sunbeam is probably going to die with all hands in about twenty minutes.
5. Ooh teleporter shiny
6. NOW where the gently caress am I. Oh hey there's a neat outpost to watch the Sunbeam get exploded from.
7. Time to go caving.

It's a good game. Don't forget to set up some remote scanner rooms to find things with.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

M_Gargantua posted:

Doom Eternal 100% Ultra Nightmare has been acomplished: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cliPqRwq-k

Now we'll see where the record ends up. For reference the Doom 2016 100% Ultra-Nightmare is at 2:17 which is absurd speed https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDkWioXuPz0

Same, HL mods are eternal. Sometimes I open Hammer and make a quick map just for a nostalgia hit.

I think the Doom 2016 video is the actual Doomguy.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
gently caress the marauder. Talk about an enemy that completely interrupts the game flow. I’d rather have more bullshit platforming super Mario bullshit than him.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

bloops posted:

gently caress the marauder. Talk about an enemy that completely interrupts the game flow. I’d rather have more bullshit platforming super Mario bullshit than him.

Once you get used to the quickswitch between the ballista and the super shotty he goes down like a chump (click, mousewheel up, click, mousewheel down, click). Just gotta time your shots to reset his stun timer once you get him the first time.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

bloops posted:

I just shut the game off like 15 minutes ago after I died for the 10th time to him

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Seriously once I watched a speed runner do it I was like, huh, never realized I could do that, and it became a joke.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Woofer posted:

I just shut the game off like 15 minutes ago after I died for the 10th time to him

It’s the goddamn wolf attack. Completely unnecessary when the marauder can position wherever the hell he wants to in an instant.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

M_Gargantua posted:

Once you get used to the quickswitch between the ballista and the super shotty he goes down like a chump (click, mousewheel up, click, mousewheel down, click). Just gotta time your shots to reset his stun timer once you get him the first time.

Ya I’m gonna repeat the encounter to get better at dealing with him

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Omg how am I just finding out about quick weapon switching

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Q by default is also quick switch to last, and hold for for weapon wheel

Prostrat is to rebind super and ballista to q and e. To go even further you rebind your next two favorite weapons to mousewheel up and mousewheel down, like rockets + rifle, but then you have to find new keys for the normal scroll. Much easier than pressing the 1-9 keys.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Woofer posted:

I started it this evening and it's just, okay...and I loved the original RE3. They basically just slapped RE2 paint on this and called it a day. Original RE3 was more shooty and city based and this just feels like RE2 with different characters. Oh and they apparently cut out Mercenaries mode. gently caress beans.

Also the original intro owned and the new one is balls. I'll still play through it.

So I got a free key for Borderlands 3 for steam. Boot it up to be told I need to come up with a Shift name. Enter "Handsome_Ralph" and apparently that name is abusive now. gently caress you too, Randy Pitchford.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Have to stop dooming. Too high. keep forgetting to kill demon for ammo and buff totem hard on Phobos.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://www.twitch.tv/giantssoftware

farm simulator tournament or competition

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hot Karl Marx posted:

https://www.twitch.tv/giantssoftware

farm simulator tournament or competition

[Desire to silage intensifies]

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

M_Gargantua posted:

Thanks for the tip. Got him first try this morning.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I’ve just beat the first boss. How much doom do I have left?

As I get further in the game, the less I’m enjoying the experience. Combat loop and mechanics are all great after the initial learning curve. The problem I’m having is some enemy types are genuinely loving annoying like whip lash and marauders. That and this very tight line of integrating more story into a game that doesn’t really need it and what is there falls flat.

Definitely a step up over 2016 but there’s room for improvement.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
So the first boss is the Gladiator, if thats who you mean, which leaves 4 levels and the final boss. It wasn't until my second play through that I really figured out how to deal with the annoying enemies. The game sort of goes by Rock Paper Scissors rules, wherin brute force always works but you benefit greatly from being quick on the uptake on when to use the flamethrower/ice/weapon mods tactically. Frozen whiplash's for example are easy prey. Soon you'll get even more powerful items.

The runes/crystals/suit upgrades are a pretty accurate progress bar on how far through the game you are. Once you are ~90% you've only got 3 levels left. Last of the power ups are in Nekrovol (essentially Christian Hell) (minor spoiler) Which is really just a magical woodchipper to turn human souls into Argent to keep the lights on in heaven :megadeath: :rock:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

I've discovered the best way to see if a game is bad or mediocre is to peak in it's respective games thread and if there's one goon just attacking anyone with less than glowing opinions about said game, game is likely flawed and not very good.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Handsome Ralph posted:

I've discovered the best way to see if a game is bad or mediocre is to peak in it's respective games thread and if there's one goon just attacking anyone with less than glowing opinions about said game, game is likely flawed and not very good.

so zaphod42 then

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

bloops posted:

so zaphod42 then

Oh I put that dude on my ignore list ages ago. Someone else this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Handsome Ralph posted:

Oh I put that dude on my ignore list ages ago. Someone else this time.

he's the loving worst. always coming back with a "well actually here's why this is brilliant"

who are you talking about.