Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

l33tfuzzbox
Apr 3, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

He lost the hot claws before Dawn of X.

Edit: And the villain he means is probably Persephone? She died in Return of Wolverine.

Thats her. Thank you. She was a bad idea so i dropped the whole return thing snd only came back to X for house/powers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

maltesh posted:

I can think of at least a few panels where Spider-Man has been ripped off a wall or a ceiling and come away with little pieces of debris stuck to his fingers and toes.

Has Spider-Man ever deliberately picked up anyone or anything with the whatever-a-spider-can stickiness of his feet?

Spider-Girl (the OG one, not Arana) had a development of her stick-'em powers where she could stick other people and things to the same surface she was on. She can also launch objects with her powers (so if she's stuck a pipe to her hands, she can 'fire' it).

I think that Peter's also passively used his powers to stick his mask to his face so people can't unmask him easily?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Was "Heroes in Crisis" any good?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bessantj posted:

Oh sweet child.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

bessantj posted:

Heroes in Crisis was not good.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Oh sweet child.

Oh, that sounds promising!

How Wonderful! posted:

Heroes in Crisis was not good.

Oh. :(

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

bessantj posted:

Arguably the worst event since Identiry Crisis.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

bessantj posted:

No.

There were some flashes of interesting, IMHO (Gnarrk!), and it was certainly pretty, but it was not good.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I also found the art pretty gross outside of a very cool spread with Booster Gold and Blue Beetle. For the most part there was an uncomfortable tension between trying to tell a pretty somber story about super heroes and mental illness, and pencils that constantly had all the women twisting and contorting in ludicrously male-gazey ways.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Retro Futurist posted:

There's also the Counter Earth from that weird not-2099 Spider-Man cartoon, not sure if that counts as separate

God, Spider-Man Unlimited. I haven't thought about that show in years.

NASA sends a space probe to the Counter-Earth. It is destroyed.

NASA sends John Jameson on a manned mission to the Counter-Earth, to demand answers. Venom and Carnage (hostless symbiote pals) sneak aboard the ship. Spider-Man is spotted trying to stop them, but fails. Contact is lost, Spider-Man is blamed.

A distress call is received. Spider-Man steals the space shuttle for the next manned mission to the Counter-Earth, announces that he's doing it to rescue John Jameson, and pretends Peter Parker is coming along with him. No screen time is spent telling Mary Jane, his wife, he's doing this.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

bessantj posted:

If for some reason you really hate Wally West, then it was excellent.

Otherwise, it was a garbage fire.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

It's quite disappointing because a super hero murder mystery does sound like it could be fun. What makes Heroes in Crisis so bad? Is Batman: Hush good for the mystery thing?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

bessantj posted:

It's quite disappointing because a super hero murder mystery does sound like it could be fun. What makes Heroes in Crisis so bad? Is Batman: Hush good for the mystery thing?

Hush is kinda fun because all of Batman's major villains show up, but as a mystery it's not great.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

bessantj posted:

Wat if heroes had PTSD like me. What if the PTSD is caused by me figuring out everything I believed is a lie. What if I write a story where I have ptsd because I found out the war crimes I did because of a lie overwhelmed me and I tried to pin it on other victims of ptsd.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
HiC is poo poo as a murder mystery but it's also not really interested in being a mystery and is upfront about that.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Doctor Spaceman posted:

HiC is poo poo as a murder mystery but it's also not really interested in being a mystery and is upfront about that.

Yeah. It's ostensibly more about how superheroes would react to PTSD and what therapy in a superhero universe would look like-- both pretty good questions, but handled really glibly and shoddily in HiC, mostly because for one thing by the end of the first issue the superhero therapy retreat has been almost entirely massacred, and secondly because King is more interested in structuring the plot around the idea of superheroes needing therapy as a big scandalous shock rather than thinking seriously about what that therapy would constitute.

There are some fun talking heads segments where mostly obscure characters talk about their traumas and issues that are pretty compelling but ultimately the story is more interested in these characters as tragic victims and corpses than as people, which is a shame because I think beneath the dumb spectacle there's a decent idea at the base of the mess.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Apr 6, 2020

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

bessantj posted:

Read Astro City Tarnished Angel. That's all you need (well I guess Top 10 as well) but if you want a superhero murder mystery Tarnished Angel is the best thing you will read.
Also I remember hearing that HiC was like Identity Crisis and that said everything I needed to know about the title.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Madkal posted:

Read Astro City Tarnished Angel. That's all you need (well I guess Top 10 as well) but if you want a superhero murder mystery Tarnished Angel is the best thing you will read.

reading "Tarnished Angel" is good advice whether you want a mystery or not, it is brilliant

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Thanks for the replies. I agree with How Wonderful! that super hero PTSD and therapy would be interesting especially if that character has died and been resurrected. I have been meaning to read Astro City the premise seems really interesting and the reviews always seem good.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I think Poison Ivy finished doing a face turn in HiC so there is that I suppose.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Nessus posted:

I think Poison Ivy finished doing a face turn in HiC so there is that I suppose.

And Blue Beetle (Ted) and Booster Gold were back together (bros before heroes) and helped solve the mystery and save the day, so there was also that.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

If you want good comic book mysteries just read everything Brubaker has ever done

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

bessantj posted:

Probably the worst crime a CIA agent has ever been involved in.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
Marvel must have used the "It's not Attuma" joke by now in a comic, right?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Vincent posted:

Probably the worst crime a CIA agent has ever been involved in.

Holy poo poo

:stoke:

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
How does one pronounce “Sub-Mariner?”

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Beerdeer posted:

How does one pronounce “Sub-Mariner?”

sub-mare-in-er, just like the people who drive submarines.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Mariner with Sub- in front of it, not submarine with -er on the end of it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Lobok posted:

Mariner with Sub- in front of it, not submarine with -er on the end of it.

Yeah, this.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

now i'm trying to say submarine as sub-mariner without an er on the end.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ghostlight posted:

now i'm trying to say submarine as sub-mariner without an er on the end.

In Link's Awakening, Link was the dom and Marin was the sub.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Thanks. Last night I was reading Agents of Atlas and started to wonder if I'd been doing it wrong all along. I had it right.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

I could swear there's an old panel where the Thing calls him "Sub-mahreener," but then no one is looking to Ben Grimm for elocution lessons.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I've been a bit behind reading through the Marvel catalogue. I've just finished the Avengers v Defenders crossover and it was pretty good. Is this the first crossover of its type (i.e. over several issues rather than just two)?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

bessantj posted:

I've been a bit behind reading through the Marvel catalogue. I've just finished the Avengers v Defenders crossover and it was pretty good. Is this the first crossover of its type (i.e. over several issues rather than just two)?

There were a few two part crossovers before. The time the FF and Avengers went up against the Hulk around issue 25 of FF, for example. The Avengers/Defenders War is probably the first big crossover, though.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

There were a few two part crossovers before. The time the FF and Avengers went up against the Hulk around issue 25 of FF, for example. The Avengers/Defenders War is probably the first big crossover, though.

Even with DC?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

bessantj posted:

Even with DC?

I can't even think of a storyline that went between two comics at DC until the mid-70's. DC was generally more focused on single issue stories (there's some big and interesting exceptions in the 60's, but I'm generalizing). Even when there was a storyline that involved multiple heroes teaming up, it was confined to just one comic. There weren't stories that started in Flash and finished in Green Lantern. The first example of this that I know of occurred when Roy Thomas moved to DC and started up All-Star Squadron where there were a few story arcs that jumped over to JLA and then back again.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Thanks. So this didn't kick off the seemingly endless crossovers that we have, when did that start?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

bessantj posted:

Thanks. So this didn't kick off the seemingly endless crossovers that we have, when did that start?

That one is easy: 1985.

Up to that point, there were the occasional storylines that moved between series. Then we get into the 80's and people realize that they have have an epic storyline in its own special comic and that will be an event. Marvel's Contest of Champions is the first such event books and a few years later that was followed up with the even bigger Secret Wars. The thing is, however, that 95% of this stuff was contained in just those series. In Secret Wars, some characters that were participating had an event at the end of one issue where they wind up in ship taking them to battleworld, then in the next issue they return and something is different: She-Hulk has replaced the Thing in the FF or Spider-Man has a spiffy black costume. You had to read Secret Wars, though, to see how that event happened.

Despite some problems, that worked out really well for Marvel and DC decided to get into the act but they took it one step further. Crisis on Infinite Earths had a year long build up where every single comic in the DC line had a page somewhere during that year where a mysterious figure was monitoring the heroes. Then the 12-part series kicked off and it wasn't self-contained. Most of it was there, but subplots would trickle out to "See current issue of Whatever for what happens next!" and those ongoing series would suddenly drop into the middle of the Crisis story and tell readers that they should have been reading Crisis to understand what's going on. The comics tying into Crisis had a banner across the top to let readers know that it was part of that enormous story and response was huge.

Well now there was a model for how to do this and make all of the money. Marvel's Secret Wars II followed the Crisis plan exactly right down to the cover indicators telling readers that "Secret Wars II continues in this issue!" Of course, as flawed as Crisis was, Secret Wars II was unimaginably worse. But it still sold piles so it kept going and going. It's mutated a lot since then; writing for the trade means that nobody can just suddenly drop a crossover issue into the middle of their storylines. I doubt we're going to see an end to this until superhero comics themselves come to an end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Thanks, that's really informative! :keke:

I agree that we won't see an end to crossovers, they do seem to make all the money. I can see some appeal of crossovers, I did enjoy seeing both Thanos and Man-Thing appear in the Avengers v Defenders.