Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Eej posted:

Child-soldiers: not great people

Eej posted:

I feel sad that Hawks, the one character who really resonated with me, is gonna fuckin die

Hmmm....interesting. Do you prefer Raiden, or Jack?

TheHan posted:

Also Twice killed somebody like, one chapter ago. They're all on the same page here.

Man that guard James Bond killed probably had a family too...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Lt. Lizard posted:

Hawks is one of the very few people in this manga that actually murdered someone in cold blood. He is absolutely a horrible person, but he is also an incredible character and I hope he sticks around for a while longer.

Really stretching the definition of "cold blood" here.

That would be Dabi roasting people he thinks aren't good enough for the League, but offscreen doesn't count.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

It's gonna be intensely funny when Hawks, a man molded by and mutated by the systems of society at large who then decided to go on to defend those systems, dies to some cry baby loser who went through something similar and just wants to burn it all down, literally.

Here lies Hawks, he learned no lessons and idealized a man who would tell you himself that he's a worthless sack of poo poo.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It's gonna be intensely funny when Hawks, a man molded by and mutated by the systems of society at large who then decided to go on to defend those systems, dies to some cry baby loser who went through something similar and just wants to burn it all down, literally.

Here lies Hawks, he learned no lessons and idealized a man who would tell you himself that he's a worthless sack of poo poo.

I get what you're saying, but that doesn't happened unless Tokoyami gets crippled or killed. Don't you dare put that evil on him.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

oh jay posted:

I get what you're saying, but that doesn't happened unless Tokoyami gets crippled or killed. Don't you dare put that evil on him.

I could see him just getting punted away eventually. Hawks doing one act of actual heroics before getting finally owned, setting Tokoyomi up for an appropriately chuuni revenge drive.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

cool chapter but i had to do the :jerkbag: motion when i saw dabi's identity is still being teased out

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
The fight between Dabi and Tokoyomi is going to get interrupted when Gigantomachia wakes up and bursts through the ground, sending them flying in different directions.

There's also still enough of Hawks' backstory left unknown that he'll probably make it out of here alive.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Hori chickened out a bit and had Fatgum run the rest of the kids out of the Gigantomachia own-zone so I think we have the answer on if he's up for killing the kids, probably.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i'm fine with not seeing children murdered, even if one of them is less a child and more a terrifying mushroom gremlin

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Same.

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
There’s no way in hell hawks survives, maybe he gets nomufied at best?

And with dabi bringing back stain after all this time there has to be a jail break on the horizon surely?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I forgot what did Stain want, that Dabi is trying to bring forth?

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Stain wanted hero society gone too but hated the heroes AND villains

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Electric Phantasm posted:

I forgot what did Stain want, that Dabi is trying to bring forth?

Stain thought most Heroes were phonies who didn't deserve to be called that and wanted every Hero to be All Might-tier moral. As such, he liked Deku because he lived up to that but hated everyone who may have even the barest minimum of interest in self-gain, including Iida's brother who from what we've seen in Vigilantes was actually completely dedicated to helping people but also had the great sin of having his own agency and probably getting a good amount of money out of his life-risking job.

Dabi is full of poo poo though and it's pretty obvious his goals aren't the same as Stain's, he's just a psycopath that has a gigantic hate boner for his dad (not without reason, mind you) and translates that to hatred towards society in general because everyone must be just as bad as Endeavor, but even that feels like just a lame excuse for the reality of him being a horrible human being.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."
Kind of loving the dramatic irony here -- Hawks finding out that the idealized figure of Endeavor in his head, as the man who'd do anything to surpass All Might... is entirely correct, and that it's specifically that ambition he admired (and even unconsciously emulated, maybe, through his "pragmatic assassin fighting to improve Hero society via extrajudicial murder" shtick) that made Endeavor a horrible, horrible person. Complete with getting directly fire-murdered by that ambition's byproduct.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Dabi: You took everything from me.
Endeavor: I don't even know who you are.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Hmmm....interesting. Do you prefer Raiden, or Jack?

I'll have you know I take him at face value when he says all he wants is a society where heroes won't have to do anything

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Eej posted:

I'll have you know I take him at face value when he says all he wants is a society where heroes won't have to do anything

Still at Raiden. You'll get to jack one day.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Man that guard James Bond killed probably had a family too...

James Bond is like the one example you coulda picked where the narrative criticizes his actions!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

By the way, we saw Twice's body.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Endeavour pancaking dabi was cool

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

oh jay posted:

Really stretching the definition of "cold blood" here.

That would be Dabi roasting people he thinks aren't good enough for the League, but offscreen doesn't count.

Him killing was Twice was deliberate and dispassionate act which is literally the definition of "in cold blood". You don't have to be a mass-murdering psychopath like Dabi to be capable of being ruthless.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Lt. Lizard posted:

Him killing was Twice was deliberate and dispassionate act which is literally the definition of "in cold blood". You don't have to be a mass-murdering psychopath like Dabi to be capable of being ruthless.

I'm probably splitting hairs about the difference between "being cold blooded while murdering" vs "murdering in cold blood. He's clearly emotionless when doing it, but it's war.

Jose posted:

That was a High End.

profileusername
Mar 2, 2019

Jose posted:

That was him coming to help Mirko and flattening the nomu that was stopping her.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

profileusername posted:

That was him coming to help Mirko and flattening the nomu that was stopping her.

Yep -- Endeavor, Mirko, Crust, Eraser, Mic, and presumably the other crack duelists are at the hospital going after Dr. Garaki, Shigaraki, and the High-Ends.

The hideout is where all the general brawlers and wide-range heroes are since that's where the MLA is.

The city, near the hideout, is where most of the students and sidekicks are, doing evac.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
If the heroes were going to have any shot at winning here, Twice had to be captured or killed. He single handedly overturns any sort of numbers advantage the heroes can muster and turns the whole encounter into a total war of attrition if he cuts loose. Hawks made a very cold and pragmatic choice but I don't know what other option he had.

I've really liked these last few chapters. Hawks is a great character and so was Twice. Dabi reiterating the very first thing he said when he first entered the story actually kind of surprised me. I wasn't expecting him to actually still be motivated by Stain, but I kind of respect it.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

No wonder Dabi messes up all the time, he doesn't believe in the power of evil friendship.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

profileusername posted:

Oh lol

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I really don't think you can be called a horrible person for using lethal force against a guy who very much could single-handedly turn the tides of this battle and cause the deaths of hundreds of heroes and civilians. I love Twice but he is a murderer and the stakes here are seriously way too high to mess around. Hawks tried doing it non-lethally as much as he could, but there wasn't any other option at that point.

I'm not sure how this is going to go down now though. I think, ironically, Dabi's blue-flames won't actually produce enough bright light to seriously affect Dark Shadow. This could be a great match-up for Tokoyami. He's pretty hosed otherwise though.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Brother Entropy posted:

cool chapter but i had to do the :jerkbag: motion when i saw dabi's identity is still being teased out

if you turn up the brightness on your monitor you can actually tell what he said that freaked Hawks out so much

he said im gay

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

Rhonne posted:

No wonder Dabi messes up all the time, he doesn't believe in the power of evil friendship.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

It's a shame because itd be funny if endeavour did kill dabi to save hawks then hawks told him who it was

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Tokoyami's going to rip Dabi in half.

Rhonne posted:

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

It's true, one of the worst and most dangerous things you can do in a manga is mock or deride the concept of friendship. It's like gluing a giant fist magnet to your face.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Dabi is going to be a hard matchup for Tokoyami.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Jose posted:

It's a shame because itd be funny if endeavour did kill dabi to save hawks then hawks told him who it was

That would be a trip. "hey endeavour turns out the bad guy you just BBQd was actually your presumed-dead son!"

Also is there a betting pool for Deku, Todoroki, and Bakugo having to hold back Gigantomachia from reaching the town before the evacuation is complete? I don't see anyone beating the beastly this early in the story but the three of them fighting such a high ranked threat to a standstill right now would fit.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Turns out that Endeavor has known that Dabi is Touya from the start and doesn't really care.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

oh jay posted:

I'm probably splitting hairs about the difference between "being cold blooded while murdering" vs "murdering in cold blood. He's clearly emotionless when doing it, but it's war.

It isn't war, it's a police raid. Though in either context shooting a fleeing opponent in the back is not an action one typically considers heroic.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

ZiegeDame posted:

It isn't war, it's a police raid. Though in either context shooting a fleeing opponent in the back is not an action one typically considers heroic.

He wasn't running away. He was running towards the bigger battle, intent on killing heroes to protect the villains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

M_Gargantua posted:

That would be a trip. "hey endeavour turns out the bad guy you just BBQd was actually your presumed-dead son!"

Also is there a betting pool for Deku, Todoroki, and Bakugo having to hold back Gigantomachia from reaching the town before the evacuation is complete? I don't see anyone beating the beastly this early in the story but the three of them fighting such a high ranked threat to a standstill right now would fit.

It's going to be Kirishima going beyond Unbreakable in order to protect Mina in a callback to his flashback during the Overhaul raid.