Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
Got it!

Actually, this reminds me, is there a sane way to have dupes build tiles in an order that makes sense and gets them to complete the entire build instead of either missing pieces OR walling themselves in, which they do all the time? Is there a mod for this? It's bewildering that I have to hand hold building anything 1 layer at a time if I want results... For example, say I'm building a 4x10 block of tiles. How do I make dupes not kill themselves accidentally as they're doing this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Abuse priorities, or micromanage.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

I like to think that the RL examples we have of people being built into the walls of buildings was just dupes with bad priority settings.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I have a cold biome above my starting area, and a cold biome just above the oil biome.

Adding a full Rodriguez under the top one to cool O2 via the nullifier is causing all kinds of melt to fall down and into the base

Ditto since I put my iniial metal refinement in the bottom biome after my initial oil run. 3-4 liquids all mushed together and dripping around. It feels like I am in a dark scidi space ship wearing suits with high humidity and wet just everywhere

I really can't figure a nice way to run 3 o2 lines in and out, along with hydrogen. AND I forgot to account for the overflow. Again. This really is putting out way more gas then I need right now

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
The thing to remember is that the hydrogen lines can all merge while the oxygen lines basically can't.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Hello Sailor posted:

I like to think that the RL examples we have of people being built into the walls of buildings was just dupes with bad priority settings.

"For the love of God, Meep!"

"Yes, for the love of God!"

Radio
Jul 25, 2003

Oh no, trash bear!

Shumagorath posted:

Also I just realized that a cold CO2 geyser will pressurize a room until you hit the integer overflow because it spits out liquid and thus has no maximum. It's a pity the gas is almost worthless as a coolant; I guess it can run some soda fountains on its way to space.

It actually works nicely at cooling space equipment that only activates periodically like robo-miner and sweeper/loaders that only run periodically. It's a lousy conductor for sure, but anything made of space metals that operates in short bursts can be regulated sufficiently with some drywall and CO2 exhaust blowing across.

Also the cold CO2 geysers that I've seen have always overpressured and stopped when the room reached 50kg/tile of gas.

Radio fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Apr 5, 2020

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Shumagorath posted:

The thing to remember is that the hydrogen lines can all merge while the oxygen lines basically can't.

I'm this base I had a nasty hydrogenine running way down to my power block, and I think 6 total air tanks. All filled.

I need to resign the spom hydrogen line since I have a couple bridges there, and the overflow isn't set up right. The last h plant is full, as is the line for the nullifier, but all the air tanks are filling before the other h plants are full, so I am creating the problem.

I have 9 dupes, and not nearly enough space for 3kg/s o2 so I built this a bit too early.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Radio posted:

It actually works nicely at cooling space equipment that only activates periodically like robo-miner and sweeper/loaders that only run periodically. It's a lousy conductor for sure, but anything made of space metals that operates in short bursts can be regulated sufficiently with some drywall and CO2 exhaust blowing across.

Also the cold CO2 geysers that I've seen have always overpressured and stopped when the room reached 50kg/tile of gas.
Thanks for the tip! I've been keeping it busy with a pair of soda fountains but space cooling is such a pain.

Roundboy posted:

I'm this base I had a nasty hydrogenine running way down to my power block, and I think 6 total air tanks. All filled.

I need to resign the spom hydrogen line since I have a couple bridges there, and the overflow isn't set up right. The last h plant is full, as is the line for the nullifier, but all the air tanks are filling before the other h plants are full, so I am creating the problem.

I have 9 dupes, and not nearly enough space for 3kg/s o2 so I built this a bit too early.
I built four generators right off the bat and never let them stop running even if their battery is full. It's wasteful but it stops me from depending on constant oxygen production for power supply. The SPOM circuit is only hooked up to power the electrolyzers, the door into the room and the pump supplying water (and a filter since I have a giant dirty glacier above my cool steam vent). Eventually I'll run a spare line off to the pair of AETNs I somehow found on Rime so that will complicate things, but 112g/s x3 - 20g/s to run both still means I need that fourth generator to avoid backup.

Without considering Diver's Lungs or Mouth Breather you only need one electrolyzer for 8 dupes.

The best thing to do would be to post your ventilation overlay since I could show you mine but it's modded.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Apr 5, 2020

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I could have sworn that water sieves output water at a minimum of 40C. Apparently that’s changed? I’m pumping in (roughly) 32C pwater and getting 32C water out.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I could have sworn that water sieves output water at a minimum of 40C. Apparently that’s changed? I’m pumping in (roughly) 32C pwater and getting 32C water out.

Yeah i noticed the same thing the other day. I'm glad I'm not the only one who remembers it pumping out warm water.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
That was an old bit of heat magic I've seen referenced that was since patched out. Mine definitely pumps out water the same temperature as the input, which still bites me on Rime at times.

dividertabs
Oct 1, 2004

I was about to break onto the surface, and start drilling for oil, but I ended up in a vexing situation. There's a long shaft going from my base downwards with a ton of refined iron from a geyser at the bottom. I've realized several dupes are spending their entire workday going down to retrieve the iron, running out of breath, and dropping it. If I want that iron, do I need to pump oxygen down there, or is there an easier way? Other things I've considered: build an atmo suit dock (it would be nice to have iron for this!), or rebuild the shaft with thresholds so that dropped iron falls only partway down.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

It took 15 incubators and hundreds of cycles, but finally it's happening!

:pcgaming:

He hugs the eggs so fast now that it broke my timer automation and brought down the power grid. I can't actually power 15 incubators full time.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Doing this with no sandbox was pretty cool even if it was on Rime :unsmith:

I'm pretty sure no one else uses the shutoffs to smooth out heat recovery either?

dividertabs posted:

I was about to break onto the surface, and start drilling for oil, but I ended up in a vexing situation. There's a long shaft going from my base downwards with a ton of refined iron from a geyser at the bottom. I've realized several dupes are spending their entire workday going down to retrieve the iron, running out of breath, and dropping it. If I want that iron, do I need to pump oxygen down there, or is there an easier way? Other things I've considered: build an atmo suit dock (it would be nice to have iron for this!), or rebuild the shaft with thresholds so that dropped iron falls only partway down.
Try building a scrubber nearby if it won't overheat or boil the clean water. A fire pole will also help them get there faster. Finally, a staggered main ladder might be worth the extra width even if it makes building annoying.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Apr 23, 2020

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

dividertabs posted:

What I usually do is make little oxygen stations for them to stop at. Dig out right next to the ladder 2 tiles high & 4 tiles deep, and put an algae terrarium in there. Leave the 2 tile high entryway, but dig out some of the ceiling (one tile should do it), so the oxygen can collect there when it rises. Also put a single ladder segment next to the terrarium so they can reach the O2 if it gets scarce. If the ladder is really long I might have 3 or 4 of these spaced out along the way.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I think it's worth scrounging up enough refined metal to build even one atmo suit + dock, even if you have to rock crush it.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Han Nehi posted:

He hugs the eggs so fast now that it broke my timer automation and brought down the power grid. I can't actually power 15 incubators full time.

Well, fortunately you don't have to. Incubators only need to be powered up until an egg has been hugged. Typically that means putting each incubator on a different time slice so only one is drawing power from your circuit at a time.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Put his bedroom and private bathroom/food storage next to the hatchery with a door he's not allowed to exit.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Shumagorath posted:

I'm pretty sure no one else uses the shutoffs to smooth out heat recovery either?

It's easier (and slightly less power) to simply disable the foundry directly with automation if you risk overheating the coolant. Plus, you can also do things like putting a temp check in the cooling chamber or a smart battery on your trunk power line to shut them down if the power network is getting overwhelmed.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

Shumagorath posted:

Doing this with no sandbox was pretty cool even if it was on Rime :unsmith:

I've done something similar, but I took it one step further last time: I made the metal refineries out of ceramic(+200C overheat) and placed them in the steam room itself. A moderate loop of radiant pipes and they are good to keep running. I didn't intend for it, but the facility was actually self powering.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I hadn't thought of going ceramic but that's a nice drop-in. Probably best not to lest I scald my dupes.

The max coolant temperature isn't really what I'm worried about; just the ability to recover the maximum amount of heat from it instead of having it sit idle. Those reservoirs are full or nearly so, so I probably overbuilt once again.

Radio
Jul 25, 2003

Oh no, trash bear!
You can skip the shut-off entirely if the radiant loop is long enough. Aluminum only needs the horizontal area of a turbine; however if you don't have access to that then copper or gold will suffice with 1.5 turbine widths of looping.

The fix to engie tune-ups makes almost anything at least break even and if you're only refining iron and steel, then you'll have a lot of extra power to dump onto the grid. One of my recent bases ran entirely off of excess energy from the electrolyzer block and metal refining, all the way until starting rocketry. At this point I don't even bother isolating them; both systems self-regulate their operation, and the metal refinery can only benefit from having external power when it's been off for a while. The two systems essentially support each other and some basic core appliances.

Radio fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Apr 6, 2020

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Sage Grimm posted:

Well, fortunately you don't have to. Incubators only need to be powered up until an egg has been hugged. Typically that means putting each incubator on a different time slice so only one is drawing power from your circuit at a time.

Right, that's the automation he broke by getting off the weight plate too fast. It was an easy fix but I spent a couple of cycles thinking I needed more generators. :downs:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Radio posted:

You can skip the shut-off entirely if the radiant loop is long enough. Aluminum only needs the horizontal area of a turbine; however if you don't have access to that then copper or gold will suffice with 1.5 turbine widths of looping.
poo poo, I do have aluminium. Oh well, plenty of uses elsewhere.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

If I want to have a steady reliable supply of germ-free cool water to my base, I need to figure out a pipeline for how to clean, cool, and sanitize the water.

The sieve part is easy, pump whatever you want into it, boom, regular water.

Cooling is tricky. I can radiant pipe things through the cold biome and have 4-5 steel aquatuners side by side to decrease the temperature 14C at a time. But they produce a ton of heat, eat up a ton of power and I could potentially cool the water too much in the process. Is that the best I can do? This has felt messy so far.

Sanitization is hard. I tried to set up some automation to use a few reservoirs in a chlorine-filled room to let the water sit there for a while, but it's not a perfect system. I'm using NOT gates to stop piping until the thing is full, but that doesn't really do anything once all of your reservoirs are always at full capacity. I wish there was automation to say "you can't let any of the water out until you're at 0 germs my dude" and it looks like germs aren't killed within pipes, only in reservoirs, when passing through chlorine...

But also, how much do I care about germ-free water if my dupes only ever make bbq? Does it even matter to me, or can I just stick to sieved water for the rest of my life?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
The liquid pipe germ sensor should do that for you, no? Are you using an infected polluted water geyser? What's the source you have to clean up?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

You can repeatedly use the same aquatuner in a loop, using a temperature sensor to pass the water along if it's cold enough or back to the aquatuner if it's not. It's the same total power consumption per kg of water but you never have to deal with the peak power consumption of 4 aquatuners all running at once. This will have less potential throughput but even a single aquatuner running on polluted water can move a lot of heat.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Also this sounds cool to me, like nethack bones files for ONI:
https://forums.kleientertainment.com/forums/topic/116937-ruins-testers-wanted/?tab=comments#comment-1320901

You upload your own base and it will stick pieces of uploaded existing bases in new ones you make.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

Shumagorath posted:

The liquid pipe germ sensor should do that for you, no? Are you using an infected polluted water geyser? What's the source you have to clean up?

From the wiki, which is the issue I was having as well: "The germs in liquid pipes cannot be killed by surrounding Chlorine gas. Therefore you cannot simply put a Liquid Pipe Germ Sensor on the output pipe of a Liquid Reservoir surrounded by Chlorine and configure it as below 1 germ. The germs in that segment will never be killed and the senor would always send a Red signal. Those segments have to be constantly recirculated to work properly.". Basically you have to recirculate germy water continuously into reservoirs if you want chlorine to have effect, which seems like a real PITA to automate, if at all possible with the given tools.

And I'm trying to sanitize whatever water I find around the map. The problem is that any water store I have will be polluted sooner or later, so I might as well figure out how to sanitize that if I want to reuse it. I have special germy water for my washrooms, doesn't seem like it's a problem to use that one. They've been washing their hands in it for hundreds of cycles with no issue :/

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I definitely did a circulating germ killer in my last base without resorting to automated doors. My best advice is to save, load up sandbox to model it then revert and do it for real.

For what it's worth water pollution is not inevitable once you get the mechanics down. I definitely felt that way with my first base but it's all about careful use of tiles to block spills and never sieving germ water to the wrong place. If all else fails, you can warm your water up to 50°C using :devil:

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Apr 6, 2020

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
It's a bit cludgy, but I use three res with timer automation between them to move water from one to the next after it sits in each for most of the day. I saw a trick of using a 2 tick timer to pull fresh water in to flush the pipe of germy water so it's 100% clean when pumped out

Adding plastic to the last one let's you do the divert back to one of there are germs which is usually in that pipe segment as mentioned.

All in all the process sucks and I never really bother. I usually have a small pool of clean I can fill from either from starting water or a geyser of some sort. But I haven't played a map nearly long enough to worry about extremely long term game

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
What I did was put 5 reservoirs in a chlorine filled room, then put a liquid valve after the last one that wouldn't open until the first reservoir was full. Then started filling them all with germy water. By the time all five were filled, the germs in the last one were all gone and then they were able to keep up with killing the germs bey the time they got through all five reservoirs.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
To kill germs, I put a couple liquid reservoirs in a sealed room linked in series by pipes. (#1 fed into #2, #2 into #3, etc.). I looped the last container back into the first one, put a germ sensor on that loop, and put a cutoff after the germ sensor. So water was constantly moving, and only escaped when the germ sensor set to <1 germs tripped and opened the escape.

It's not perfect: chlorine only disinfects when that system backs up into the containers, which means you need enough water to fill the pipes plus more, and the more water you have the more efficient the disinfection is.

It was probably too much work given how completely irrelevant disease is in ONI.

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000
I just made a huge chlorine room with a grid of 3x4 reservoirs all linked in sequence, that's my clean water storage. I didn't bother with any timing stuff, it just seemed to me that by the time any germy water made it through all 12 reservoirs it was clean. I ended up bailing on that base but will probably do the same thing again in the new one, plus then have a separate (not in chlorine) set of reservoirs to store the clean water after, just to have more storage capacity. I had it configured with all kind of automation so that if less than 2/3 of the chlorine-room reservoirs were full, it would start pulling polluted water - but only if the polluted water tank was also more than 2/3 full. And if the p-water tank was less than half full, it would pull from my p-water geiser tank, so I always had a bunch of p-water and clean water on hand. I also pulled from a water geyser if my chlorinated water was low.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
You can completely disinfect water with 4x reservoirs in series in a chlorine room. Let all 4 fill, wait one cycle, then flow freely. As long as you keep the reservoirs full, you can disinfect 10kg/s without sensors.

You need to play with shutoffs and valves if you're consuming more than you're producing though.

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.

DreadCthulhu posted:

The germs in that segment will never be killed and the senor would always send a Red signal. Those segments have to be constantly recirculated to work properly.". Basically you have to recirculate germy water continuously into reservoirs if you want chlorine to have effect, which seems like a real PITA to automate, if at all possible with the given tools.

It's not much more complicated than the germ sensor. The setup I've used for hundreds of cycles is just a germ sensor before a water shutoff. Then just branch off a pipe from the shutoff input and loop it back to the reservoirs (remember a liquid bridge so cycled water gets priority over new water). It seems like it wouldn't work, but with how the game averages materials in storage, the germs do slowly decrease. It's possible it could back up, but with toilets or electrolyzers the water moves along well enough.

Dezinus fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Apr 6, 2020

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
So the germs are wholly separate from whether the water is polluted or not?

I guess I don't understand why a water sieve doesn't work?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

SlyFrog posted:

Yes.

Maybe think of it this way — the sieve, which runs water through sand, filters out particulates but does not kill germs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

SlyFrog posted:

I guess I don't understand why a water sieve doesn't work?

Polluted water just means there's dirt and stuff in it. I think of it as whether the water is potable or not. The presence of germs is separate.