Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smegma Princess X
Jul 27, 2012

VagueRant posted:

When the plate collapses it cuts to a shot of Cait Sith (just the little kitty from on top) overlooking it and dropping to his knees and banging a fist on the ground.

I have no idea if the game sets this up or give it any context, and I really like the idea of confused new players wondering why this fluffy disney furry with a little crown has suddenly appeared to mourn the thousands of dead civilians.

Cait Sith is really just Reeve's super expensive, high tech fursuit that he "lives in" all the time that he's not being a normie at work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The Dave posted:

Always seemed to me like people don't understand or get confused past "The bad guy is going to destroy the planet, also his mom is a head or something."

Capitalism is Bad.

I think most people understand that. Cyberpunk is not a genre known for its subtlety.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85cL1HisrNc

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Gologle posted:

This is easily explained by Cait Sith being a time traveler who is trying to stop Sephiroth from changing the timeline.

I would actually be okay with this change.

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
Unironically thank God I read this thread. I really, really wanted just a straight remake, Capcom style. I think I would have probably been so angry if I would have waited until I bought the game to find out they are loving the story all up.

I’m still really excited to play the game, and see everything, but now I can just let my expectations go, open a bottle of liquor and enjoy whatever ridiculous poo poo it is that they decided to do here.

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

"BAM! The ole fork in the eye!!"
I'd say if they're sincerely engaging in an intricate and memorable commentary on the nature of remakes, while paying due respect to the source material then that's awesome.

But I don't think anyone involved has those kind of chops and this just seems to be a self indulgent trolling of the fan base.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I think the most likely thing is they saw the potential backlash when the average customer realises this is only part 1, and they can't profitably string people along for 3+ years at a time between releases on a story that's already been told. So they slapped together this fate changing, hey, now it's an unknown journey - so all the fans will definitely just HAVE to buy the next part and see what happens!

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I feel like it's probably a creative decision made so that its creators wouldn't go crazy having to spend a decade of their lives perfectly recreating someone else's already finished story. Imagine how draining/maddening that would be. this gives them a way to make the project theirs again, while toeing the line by still keeping it a remake.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I can definitely see that from a marketing perspective, though. You’re throwing this much money into a project, so you’re going to want to entice fans to keep coming back for each iteration, while also trying to make each piece seem like a complete game in itself. And yeah, there’s a subset of fans who would eat up each game if it were a 1:1 remake, but relying on that assumption is a massive risk from a corporate perspective.

This way, they can release a series of full games that keeps both old and new fans in the dark somewhat, while also giving the original team a chance to take a second stab at telling this story.

Cephas posted:

I feel like it's probably a creative decision made so that its creators wouldn't go crazy having to spend a decade of their lives perfectly recreating someone else's already finished story. Imagine how draining/maddening that would be. this gives them a way to make the project theirs again, while toeing the line by still keeping it a remake.

Basically this. But it was also mostly their story to begin with. Now they can shed the Compilation nonsense (if they want to) and start from scratch.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
People saying the Remake should just be a graphical uplift have no idea what they're asking for. Let's say they do that. You'd then hear "well, they could've made this look more modern" or "this doesn't really cut it today". As others have noted, people would whine no matter what, so they might as well go nuts with it.

I'm glad they're doing it this way, though it remains to be seen whether they can eventually close it out in a sensible manner.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Simiain posted:

I'd say if they're sincerely engaging in an intricate and memorable commentary on the nature of remakes, while paying due respect to the source material then that's awesome.

But I don't think anyone involved has those kind of chops and this just seems to be a self indulgent trolling of the fan base.

I'm a fan and I'd give the game a 10 if the side quests NPCs weren't ugly.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

HD DAD posted:

Basically this. But it was also mostly their story to begin with. Now they can shed the Compilation nonsense (if they want to) and start from scratch.

It'll all be worth it if this jettisons Advent Children from the canon

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Simiain posted:

Nobody does things for the sole purpose of "trolling the fanbase".

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Blockhouse posted:

Exactly. This was their escape from being shackled down by “canon” and gives them wiggle room to make the game they want.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Blockhouse posted:

Kojima totally would. But this ain't a Kojima game.

This is more Nomura/Nojima/whoever else getting high on mushrooms while watching rebuild of eva and thinking they could do it better

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

DemoneeHo posted:

Kojima totally would. But this ain't a Kojima game.

This is more Nomura/Nojima/whoever else getting high on mushrooms while watching rebuild of eva and thinking they could do it better

Nomura doesn't get high, don't be ridiculous.

He gets drunk. That's how he came up with the idea for KH: Recoded.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Onmi posted:

Nomura doesn't get high, don't be ridiculous.

He gets drunk. That's how he came up with the idea for KH: Recoded.

Right, right. I always get developers and their choice of mind-altering substance mixed up.

Reminds me of how ZUN once composed an entire Touhou game while drunk and had no recollection of doing so.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

The impression I get from interviews with Japanese devs is that most of them are functional alcoholics and an alarming number of projects are conceptualized at bars.

I don’t think Yoko Taro has been sober for 20 years.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
So are these DLC summons found in the normal game at all or are they purely DLC exclusive? Chocobo, Cactaur, and Carbuncle.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Hard mode is hard.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Mywhatacleanturtle posted:

The impression I get from interviews with Japanese devs is that most of them are functional alcoholics and an alarming number of projects are conceptualized at bars.

I don’t think Yoko Taro has been sober for 20 years.

Neither have I so it's fine

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I can't fathom the people saying this won't do as well as a straight remake would have done

Controversy sells. Pretend I posted that Call of Duty "boycott" image here

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Onmi posted:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/242093653328134145/696180913599545364/NO_SPOILERS_REEEE.webm

Seriously I utterly love this. I hope the next time we see him he's on the beach the ghosts literally dumped him there.

At first I hated them, but now I realize that the Time Ghosts are the best characters. They just want a 1:1 VII Remake and they're so angry at Nomura for changing the script. :allears:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

precision posted:

I can't fathom the people saying this won't do as well as a straight remake would have done

Controversy sells. Pretend I posted that Call of Duty "boycott" image here

Im sure the greater general population will be absolutely fine with this and those most hurt by it will be those that refuse to call Aerith by her real name. Like almost a perfect circle venn diagram sort of thing.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
“Hey granddad! What did the Arbiters of Fate boss fight look like on the PS1?!”

*old nerd starts loving bleeding out of his eyes*

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES
the cherry on top of all this is gonna be when the time cop ghosts refer to her as aeris

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Pyrus Malus posted:

the cherry on top of all this is gonna be when the time cop ghosts refer to her as aeris

That would be amazing lol

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

refuse to call Aerith by her real name.

I'm hardly what you'd call attached to FF7 (I rank IX and VI above it), but I still say Aeris because Aerith just sounds... weird to me. Like it's not a name, but a chemical.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Aerith is supposedly supposed to be a play on the word "Earth", likely based around the fact that she was originally designed to be a Geomancer.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I say Aeris because the game I played called her that

Like it's not a hill I'm dying on but the version I played literally called her that so that's her name to me :shrug:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I heard that there's supposed to be a scene where Cloud and Co. come across the entryway to Deepground and the ghosts show up and just usher them the gently caress away from there. Does anyone know where I can see that scene? Because it sounds hilarious.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Pyrus Malus posted:

oh my god please this would be so incredible

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Pyrus Malus posted:

I would take back every bad thing or doubt I had about the game tbh.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

precision posted:

I say Aeris because the game I played called her that

Like it's not a hill I'm dying on but the version I played literally called her that so that's her name to me :shrug:

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Both names are valid -- Aeris if you know how to read and have a normal brain, or Aerith if you have a bad hosed up brain or a speech impediment

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Everyone saying Mah-ko is doing my head in

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Harrow posted:

oh my god please this would be so incredible

There's literally no reason for them to do that because it's strictly a Western only thing. They couldn't replicate it in Japanese.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Elephant Ambush posted:

There's literally no reason for them to do that because it's strictly a Western only thing. They couldn't replicate it in Japanese.

I know that but they could still do it in the English version and just never draw attention to it :colbert:

I mean they won't but it'd be hilarious

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

personally, im rooting for the time ghosts

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Elephant Ambush posted:

FFXIVs localization is radically different from english to japanese. They can absolutely fit a joke like that if they wanted to just for the westerners

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I'm sure the Japanese hypernerds would get a laugh.