Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
https://twitter.com/Schuldensuehner/status/1246457615539937282

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
Ah well, if it's DB saying it...

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Why do I care what some guy who jumped out of a plane thinks

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Great post as usual GGGC.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

fougera posted:

That list is pretty good. I think you will eventually unfollow a lot of them but its all up to personal tastes. You will find some of them post a lot of the same thing because they have some axe to grind.

The one all star you are missing is @Trinhnomics

yeah, I will likely pare things down over time. Right now I'm casting a wider net due to market volatility and since, well, the list is new.

Trinh looks like a pro follow for those closely tracking Asia markets.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

He probably has more money than us?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

He probably has more money than us?

The original Golden Parachute

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Freezer posted:

Ah well, if it's DB saying it...

It did make me hesitant, but the tweeter is from pmchem's list on the previous page, so I assumed he is credible and reliable.

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

Predicting red candles for futures.

Also had to make a run for supplies this weekend. Donned a mask and gloves. Still seeing way to many people in public. A few with masks, majority not.

Visited Walmart. Seems to have a better setup then the other stores I visited, say Lowes and Menards.

The wait to get in is pretty fast. Wiping down all carts is nice. Distance between shoppers is getting better.

Menards and Lowes is like there is no pandemic at all. Just the way it's always been. A lot of huddling up to check out.

Guess we'll need more cases and deaths before we take this poo poo seriously.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

enraged_camel posted:

It did make me hesitant, but the tweeter is from pmchem's list on the previous page, so I assumed he is credible and reliable.

yeah he's a pretty good twitter follow. I wouldn't view that particular tweet as his endorsement of DeutscheBank's view; it's just relaying info.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Hot drat, two in a row. Well done.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

He got away with it, which is the dream of everybody in finance.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

God Tier posting

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Hit Man posted:

Predicting red candles for futures.

Also had to make a run for supplies this weekend. Donned a mask and gloves. Still seeing way to many people in public. A few with masks, majority not.

Visited Walmart. Seems to have a better setup then the other stores I visited, say Lowes and Menards.

The wait to get in is pretty fast. Wiping down all carts is nice. Distance between shoppers is getting better.

Menards and Lowes is like there is no pandemic at all. Just the way it's always been. A lot of huddling up to check out.

Guess we'll need more cases and deaths before we take this poo poo seriously.

What state are you in?

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

Bored As gently caress posted:

What state are you in?

Indiana. We have a lack of testing here which makes our case count look better than our neighbors.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
Boris Johnson admitted to the hospital.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-04-05/boris-johnson-admitted-to-hospital-for-tests-in-precaution

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
And futures go up

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

paternity suitor posted:

REIT that's local to me that I've been eyeing up for a while, Cedar Realty (CDR)

Most of their locations are anchored by grocery stores so they should be good to weather this. They are highly concentrated in the Northeast though and the NY/NJ/CT exposure likely hurts a bunch. All of the Philly construction is shut down at the moment, which sucks, because they were doing some fantastic work near me, right next to some serious infrastructure upgrades.

After looking at this... it IS interesting. Did you do anything with it?

So it's mostly shopping centers, generally anchored by supermarkets. Not great, but not as bad as your average indoor mall. Their top 20 tenants, responsible for about 40% of their revenues, are mostly going to make it through this--though stuff like UA Cinemas and the gyms might be in trouble.

Then you have all the other smaller tenants worth the other 60% of revenue. They aren't named in the 10-K, but the company helpfully lists them on their website for each of their properties. Here's one I clicked on at random in Harrisburg, PA:

quote:

Highmark Direct 2,525 SF
Elements Therapeutic Massage 1,630 SF
Cold Stone Creamery 1,295 SF
Visionworks 4,000 SF
Hobby Lobby 67,815 SF
Kathy's Hallmark 3,785 SF
David's Furniture & Interiors 24,970 SF
Hibachi Grill & Supreme Buffet 10,400 SF
Five Below 7,654 SF
Guitar Center 10,207 SF
Jo-Ann Fabrics 25,500 SF
Dick's Sporting Goods 56,000 SF
Sally Beauty Supply 2,040 SF
Marshalls 27,000 SF
We Rock the Spectrum 3,645 SF
Jenny Craig 2,000 SF
Xfinity 4,400 SF
H&R Block 4,000 SF
Huntington Learning Center 2,400 SF
Available 5,513 SF
Pet Valu 4,487 SF
Dollar Tree 11,756 SF
Tuesday Morning 13,534 SF
Available 5,820 SF
HomeGoods 31,436 SF
Ross Dress for Less 30,000 SF
Noodles & Company 3,500 SF
Five Guys Burgers 3,030 SF
Princess Nail Salon 1,010 SF
Tonino's Pizza 1,010 SF
Subway 1,515 SF
Hong Kong City 2,020 SF
Color Me Mine 1,515 SF
Great Clips 1,010 SF
Chipotle Mexican Grill 2,946 SF
Ulta 10,100 SF
Old Navy 15,500 SF
Sprint 1,864 SF
Starbucks 1,600 SF

How many of those default in the next six months? Probably quite a few. Nail salons and mom 'n' pop restaurants aren't known for being particularly well capitalized. But it's also maybe not as bad as I would've thought.

If they lose 20% of the top tenants and 50% of the smaller ones overall for this year--this seems extremely pessimistic but not impossible--revenues decline from ~$144MM to $90. Keep all else equal and the company loses around $53MM in 2020 (they pretty much just broke even in 2019). Again, that's a pessimistic scenario.

Look at cash flow under that scenario and it's not as bad. 2019's D&A was $45MM, so keeping everything else equal there the operating cash burn would "only" be around $8MM in 2019, which CDR can handle. Net investing cash flow was ($22MM) in 2019. Say we half that for 2020--probably going to defer construction and capex as much as possible. Okay, now we're at $30MM out the door in 2020.

In 2019 the company burned another $29MM in common and preferred dividends. Last week CDR slashed the common div down to $0.01 per quarter; they should probably eliminate it entirely, and start deferring on the preferred just to be safe.

So let's say under this scenario the company burns $30MM this year after cutting all dividends. That sucks, but it's survivable. They just drew $75MM on the revolver and so long as no covenants are tripped they'll be around into 2021.

In Feb 2021 they have to roll a $75MM term loan. That's when the rubber meets the road, because if conditions don't improve by then and lenders are scared off the company is in danger of default.

Bottom line: unclear. I give just one particularly pessimistic scenario above, but this wasn't a killer business to begin with, and I imagine every lease renewal that comes up for negotiation in the next few years will be flat or down. I think they'll survive, but it's a tough business.

If I was going to do something with CDR I'd probably buy one of the preferreds--they yield 20% at the moment, are cumulative, and if the business goes back to normal they'll triple as they head back to par.

But let me know what you do, if you don't mind. What I write above is just a quick-rear end back of the envelope scenario with possibly garbage assumptions.

Agronox fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Apr 5, 2020

Jack Daniels
Nov 14, 2002

Sepist posted:

And futures go up

lol

oil down to 25.50/26.00, -10% nice :golfclap:

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Sepist posted:

And futures go up

Lmao what are they basing this on? The moon?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Probably the dip in NYC covid cases or deaths or whatever that news was. Thank God pls save my 165 calls.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Bored As gently caress posted:

Lmao what are they basing this on? The moon?

A booming death industry.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

If you are digging into REITs, it may also make sense to look into research coming out of the big commercial real estate brokerages.

Search like CBRE/Colliers/Cushman&Wakefield/JLL/NGKF and see what their research people are saying about investor demand/projections. Marcus & Millichap has some research too, but they aren’t the same as the other bigs ones. I don’t know if Eastdil Secured puts out research, but all these sources can help you figure out what might change to the asset values underlying the REITs.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1246925577967357953

Here we go.

e: also relevant to oil prices

https://twitter.com/JavierBlas/status/1246927163711819777

saintonan fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Apr 5, 2020

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Just wanted to say thank you to the thread, I just aced my options test because I've been reading every post in here for the past couple of months instead of studying a boring textbook. You guys are the best <3

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

moana posted:

Just wanted to say thank you to the thread, I just aced my options test because I've been reading every post in here for the past couple of months instead of studying a boring textbook. You guys are the best <3

Congrats!

What are you planning to lose all your money on first?

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

Freezer posted:

Me, with a bunch of SPXS. I kind of regret the decision to be honest, but let's see how it goes.

*Looks at futures*. Well..gently caress.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Freezer posted:

*Looks at futures*. Well..gently caress.

Yeah :ohdear:

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
RIP my puts for at least Monday

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Sepist posted:

And futures go up

What the poo poo is this nonsense

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

If it opens up 3% I'm going to have a pleasurable reaction.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
Hey I never heard about trump’s Friday conference with all the oil big boys what happened there? Just another pump attempt?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I've been doing a deep dive into bond performance over various periods from the past 15 years...

...and man, gently caress, they're just not worth owning unless you're retired. Except for intermed/long treasuries. You REALLY want to own those before the market shits the bed and then dump them after things are back to "normal". I thought I'd be able to find a useful period for high-yield bonds or corporate long-term bonds, but no, not really unless you have really, really good month-to-month market timing (e.g. own them for a while before GFC bottomed in early '09).

Anyone here own corporate bonds when the market is calm and no bubble is brewing? If so, which, why?

edit: referring to bond etfs / mutual funds

pmchem fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Apr 6, 2020

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I think whether bonds are good or not for you highly depends on the rate you can get from a savings account. Seems like that's been poo poo lately so I have 20% FI in the long term portfolio (mix of corporate/govt bond ETFs) so that I'm not exposed 100% to equities. If I could get 2.5% in a savings account I would probably do that instead.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
At this point I feel the market should go up at least one point per million unemployed.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Futures are up, of course I didn’t factor in most companies missing their earnings reports, mass unemployment, and deaths on a scale not seen since 9/11. To the moon

Jack Daniels
Nov 14, 2002

Comrayn posted:

Hey I never heard about trump’s Friday conference with all the oil big boys what happened there? Just another pump attempt?

they postponed it until mid-this week, approx, etc. :thumbsup:

java
May 7, 2005

Risky Bisquick posted:

Futures are up, of course I didn’t factor in most companies missing their earnings reports, mass unemployment, and deaths on a scale not seen since 9/11. To the moon

I cannot believe this loving market.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

https://twitter.com/markets/status/1246966795501735946

Anything at all to make number go up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

java posted:

I cannot believe this loving market.

When the folks holding it up finally stop poo poo is gonna crash so hard. I’ve seen multiple people say once it breaks your looking at S&P 1800’s