Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Son of Rodney posted:

Same situation here in Berlin. It's gonna be a very nice week weather wise so I expect it's gonna get very crowded outside. I saw tons of people chilling in parks during a run.

People don't get it, they think a bit of space between them is all they need to do. I'm currently arguing with people on a Berlin su reddit about this very topic, a lot of people going "they're keeping distance and going out is good for you. It's none of your business".

there's a lot less suspension of disbelief when people do total moron things in horror movies for me now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Zero VGS posted:

I mean, they can't catch Covid-19, but can you really put a price on humiliating your dog?

I want to see this in public

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Sports (or walks) whenyou keep moving is explicitly allowed here, the issue is groups of people keeping too close together and staying in parks or other public places.

I run mostly on the roads that I know are more empty and I avoid people as much as possible.

E: it's none of your dammed business anyway okay!!?

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

shovelbum posted:

ppl have been working on various coronavirus vaccines since vaccines were invented and none of them ever did more than kill a lot of monkeys by making things worse iirc

There aren't vaccines because for the most part, Coronaviruses cause the common cold, and there just isn't that much interest in developing a vaccine for a mild disease.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
I just went for a walk here in Boulder wearing a mask by myself for social distancing etc. it's the second time I've gone out in three weeks unless for groceries.

I'm happy to report the crisis must be over! Downtown mall has elderly couples buying take out and eating it on the public benches because the disease is contained. Maybe half the people are wearing masks, so they must not have heard yet that it's all made up and done. Older folks maybe had one in ten wearing masks or just had them around their necks. Plenty of folks clustered together and enjoying the nice spring weather.

I imagine my experience is pretty similar to a lot of folks', unfortunately.

Several friends explain still meeting up with friends on the regular because social distancing is just too much to bear. The recurring hand waiving is "It's okay we're fine."

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

Ha yeah, on the long island subreddit, someone remarked that there were far too many people on the road whilst on his way to the park, and what were they all doing there? Shouldn't they be at home?

Yes it's true, you're not stuck in traffic, you ARE traffic. If you're complaining about other people socializing and being out while you yourself are out doing the same, kindly shut the gently caress up!

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I can’t remember, how did h1n1 and sars go away ? Seems it wasn’t nearly as nasty I guess

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Cemetry Gator posted:

There aren't vaccines because for the most part, Coronaviruses cause the common cold, and there just isn't that much interest in developing a vaccine for a mild disease.

FIP vax would be a huge cash cow if nothing else

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
My wife's grandfather died on Friday, not officially of Corona as he was 98 and had dementia so they didn't test him, but he was in a nursing home with confirmed cases. My chuddy in-laws, who are sick but refuse to get tested, are still having a funeral and are mad that we refuse to go.

Millions of Americans are going to die of this thing.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Burt Sexual posted:

I can’t remember, how did h1n1 and sars go away ? Seems it wasn’t nearly as nasty I guess

h1n1 spread loving everywhere and has probably become endemic, sars was much deadlier but much less infectious so was easier to contain

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Burt Sexual posted:

I learned that H1N1 is still present in certain parts of my country and lots of folk die from it. By the time COVID-19 was starting to come here, the H1N1 was rolling around, along with measles (currently going strong), dengue(the rain season is over, so it might just go away by itself in the next months) and tuberculosis.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Burt Sexual posted:

i think I heard it was actually way more nasty if you got it so masses of people weren't going around feeling fine and infecting people

Edit nevermind, i think i am thinking of something else

Mulaney Power Move fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Apr 5, 2020

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

other people posted:

We had to clean our own apartment this weekend and it sucked. Like we didn't even know what half the bottles of soap/chemicals we found were for lol. I really think it is time we start relaxing the restrictions on movement; people can't live like this.

um i dont think your particular problem was caused by any restrictions on movement

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
https://twitter.com/josungkim/status/1246317206264098820

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Burt Sexual posted:

h1n1 didnt go away, outbreaks continue to happen. covid19 is a form of sars

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

other people posted:

We had to clean our own apartment this weekend and it sucked. Like we didn't even know what half the bottles of soap/chemicals we found were for lol. I really think it is time we start relaxing the restrictions on movement; people can't live like this.

who normally cleans

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Put Tony Romo on commentary a I wouod watch

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

Burt Sexual posted:

h1n1 turned out to be less deadly than regular flu, and sars didn't have asymptomatic spread, so contact tracing could contain it

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

unpacked robinhood posted:

Realistically corvid will calm down a little and keep randomly sniping people left and right forever, until we get a vaccine which won't happen, right ?

Will his reign of terror never end?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Son of Rodney posted:

Same situation here in Berlin. It's gonna be a very nice week weather wise so I expect it's gonna get very crowded outside. I saw tons of people chilling in parks during a run.

People don't get it, they think a bit of space between them is all they need to do. I'm currently arguing with people on a Berlin su reddit about this very topic, a lot of people going "they're keeping distance and going out is good for you. It's none of your business".

Same in Munich, wanted to catch at least some sun so I ran at 3.30 pm in the woods. Far too many people out, way more than on an average Sunday in the last 5 years I have been running there, and some walking "side by side" on two sides of the path. When I asked one pair of women to please make soem space so I could pass safely they said "we have to keep 2 m distance" and made me pass in between them. So people are not following the only-go-out-with-people-from-the-same-household rule, which means they take up more space, making things more difficult for everyone. Plus SO MANY cyclists who don't give a poo poo and pass you by at 30 cm. I decided to either go running at 7 am or 7 pm from now on.

It's practically a given that they will extend the shelter at home order in Bavaria after Easter well into May, simply because people otherwise don't care at all. I am also curious about how they plan to lift it, whenever that is. If they announce it on TV it won't take 5 minutes until you have cars in the streets honking and people grouping up and hugging outside, having impromptu parties. Welcome 2nd Wave!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Boinks posted:

This. Just look how many Dems ran to thier stock brokers when they heard about the lock down orders. No political party is infallible.

Just want to point out that this turned out to be but-what-about bullshit propagated by Fox News. Whereas a couple of Republican Congressmen definitely, provably called up their stock brokers and dumped stocks right after a coronavirus briefing, the handful of other Republicans and Democrats who were accused of doing the same had their stocks in blind trusts, and trading behavior in these blind trusts in the same period turned out to not be particularly suspicious in volume or type

Burt Sexual posted:

h1n1 hasn't gone away, a ton of people caught it. It was a big flu pandemic that slowly diminished as people caught it and became immune to it

SARS went away through a combination of A) causing symptoms very quickly after infection, making it much easier to isolate and track cases and B) China and various other countries taking it very seriously from the onset to try and eradicate it. This coronavirus is a lot harder to deliberately contain because you can be transmitting it for several days before you even feel sick

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Apr 5, 2020

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

I have no idea what Mönchengladbach is like because i haven't been out in two weeks, we have an elderly person in the house, i've had pneumonia 3x in my life already ... and tomorrow i have to go to the super market.

I'm so tempted to bring a broomstick with me, particularly after reading these horror stories.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Hopper posted:

Same in Munich, wanted to catch at least some sun so I ran at 3.30 pm in the woods. Far too many people out, way more than on an average Sunday in the last 5 years I have been running there, and some walking "side by side" on two sides of the path. When I asked one pair of women to please make soem space so I could pass safely they said "we have to keep 2 m distance" and made me pass in between them. So people are not following the only-go-out-with-people-from-the-same-household rule, which means they take up more space, making things more difficult for everyone. Plus SO MANY cyclists who don't give a poo poo and pass you by at 30 cm. I decided to either go running at 7 am or 7 pm from now on.

It's practically a given that they will extend the shelter at home order in Bavaria after Easter well into May, simply because people otherwise don't care at all. I am also curious about how they plan to lift it, whenever that is. If they announce it on TV it won't take 5 minutes until you have cars in the streets honking and people grouping up and hugging outside, having impromptu parties. Welcome 2nd Wave!

Just incredible

Why can't goons live up to the shut in stereotype when it's needed for once, and instead choose to turn into enthusiastic virus vectors.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
If a month from now is as different as a month ago

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Why are people not picking up torches and pitchforks over this?

Why in the living gently caress are we testing animals when there aren’t enough tests for people?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I smoked a joint on the walk to/from the grocery store today. That made the whole anxiety of being around people so much easier to deal with.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

other people posted:

Although it's a gamble with the COVID-19, you could hire someone to work from your home and when they aren't masturbating you, they could read bottle labels during your refractory period.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Beachcomber posted:

Will his reign of terror never end?

Nevermore.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

19 o'clock posted:

I just went for a walk here in Boulder wearing a mask by myself for social distancing etc. it's the second time I've gone out in three weeks unless for groceries.

I'm happy to report the crisis must be over! Downtown mall has elderly couples buying take out and eating it on the public benches because the disease is contained. Maybe half the people are wearing masks, so they must not have heard yet that it's all made up and done. Older folks maybe had one in ten wearing masks or just had them around their necks. Plenty of folks clustered together and enjoying the nice spring weather.

I imagine my experience is pretty similar to a lot of folks', unfortunately.

Several friends explain still meeting up with friends on the regular because social distancing is just too much to bear. The recurring hand waiving is "It's okay we're fine."

I’ve seen the same here on the eastern part of foothills parkway. Took my dogs out last night to use the bathroom and there were 10 or so people gathered around the apartments firepit :psyduck:. Thankfully the park I live next to is fairly spacious and I can walk them without getting close to others.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Ultimate Mango posted:

Why are people not picking up torches and pitchforks over this?

Why in the living gently caress are we testing animals when there aren’t enough tests for people?

Because we wanna know if Felis Catus can spread the disease too.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I feel like the virus getting a lot of traction/publicity during March/April is probably the worst possible time for a pandemic to kick off and sustain itself, since good weather is finally starting to consistently come in after the winter and people are going to be out and about no matter what after being usually cooped up inside from the cold. If we had the current numbers or news of infections/deaths back in January or February when it was still lovely outside in general there probably would be much better lockdowns enforced because it's already below freezing and the ground is soggy, why would you go out anyway?

Yeah I know this is captain obvious speaking, but the warm weather and the people compelling themselves to go outside just because it's finally nice out is gonna be a major hurdle in trying to plausibly clamp down and contain the covid.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Spinz posted:

If a month from now is as different as a month ago

i was just thinking that. 26 days ago i flew across the country to start a three and a half week tour. was reading emails from venues about setting up tech as though everything was going ahead as normal. on the plane there was maybe 3 or 4 people with masks and a couple of folks wiping down the trays etc. but otherwise the flight seemed fairly normal. all bars and restaurants were still open, large gatherings were going ahead as normal. when i arrived and we were rehearsing we took bets on how many shows we'd get to do, i was the pessimist who bet 7 - others bet 10 or 15. we did 2 before the whole thing was cancelled and everyone went home. by the time i was flying back airports were empty and the flight itself was just everyone radiating the most intense paranoia. i suppressed a sneeze the whole time. no one spoke, at all, for the whole six hours. there's no way to predict what the world is going to feel like a month from now

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I smoked a joint on the walk to/from the grocery store today. That made the whole anxiety of being around people so much easier to deal with.

thats how i walk to/from the grocery store during normal times but its a lot harder with a mask

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Apr 6, 2020

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

FAT CURES MUSCLES posted:

I’ve seen the same here on the eastern part of foothills parkway. Took my dogs out last night to use the bathroom and there were 10 or so people gathered around the apartments firepit :psyduck:. Thankfully the park I live next to is fairly spacious and I can walk them without getting close to others.

Just goddammit is all I can muster.

Yeah, based on the posts above: if the Germans can’t be bothered to follow the rules, then we’re all hosed.

I’ve made up my mind that I’ll get sun on my patio and then stretch my legs well after dark. Makes me anxious as hell to see so many olds being this cavalier with the safeguards.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

The last thing i would want to do after getting high on marijuana weed is go to the grocery store during a pandemic

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Mulaney Power Move posted:

The last thing i would want to do after getting high on marijuana weed is go to the grocery store during a pandemic

too high for the supermarket https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2731378

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Same OP. Not sure that my haul of Pringles and M&M's would be a sensible 14 day ration.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Earwicker posted:

thats how i walk to/from the grocery store during normal times but its a lot harder with a mask

I don't have any masks, but I have a five year growth beard. I just give people plenty of space and they return the favor. Looking like a crazy person has its' perks.

Meh, it's not that bad. But I've been smoking daily for a decade, so I can resist the call of the candy aisle. I did get cocoa krispies, peanut butter and apples though. I did have moose track and peanut butter cup ice cream for lunch a few days last week though, but it's especially delicious when the world is burning.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Apr 6, 2020

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The part of Hawaii I live in closed the parks awhile ago. I drove to the grocery store yesterday and didn't see anyone in those parks, I'm happy to say. Also a noticeable uptick in mask usage, maybe almost half of people I saw were wearing one. And we're relatively low on the case count, it's growing exponentially but a lot of people are taking it seriously despite the number being small, so that's good.

Our preschool reopened, as they're considered essential. But of a total of 80 kids, apparently only 6 are being brought in. So that's also good.

We had made a denim mask but the pattern left some gaps, so we're going to make a new one with a different pattern. I read up on the efficacy of various materials and the general conclusion is that woven fabrics are the most effective; you don't want to use a stretchy knit like a normal cotton t shirt, you want weaves like denim and tea towels. We have some spare tea towels and leftover denim, so we'll try a layered approach.

What I really want is some eye protection, I have welding goggles but they're too dark to be worn while driving or grocery shopping. I am just wearing glasses for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:
Does anyone else feel like a bougie piece of poo poo getting groceries delivered? Why am I making this person risk their life so I can have almond milk? Like I'm too good to get my own groceries. ugh. What if I tip really excessively to the point where it's almost a little patronizing? Will that make it okay?