Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Lambert posted:

Also, shaggar is a moron. If you agree with an opinion shaggar has, you might be a moron as well.

Yeah? Well I'm a moron and I don't agree with Shaggar: what now? Checkmate, atheists!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
You just place your CPU on the socket and pull down the lever, same as with Intel CPUs. I really don't get where in this process you would ever be able to bend or break pins.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Lambert posted:

Shaggar has no practical experience with anything he is critical of.

sir, this is a yospos

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Lambert posted:

You just place your CPU on the socket and pull down the lever, same as with Intel CPUs. I really don't get where in this process you would ever be able to bend or break pins.

pulling the cpu out at an angle via the heatsink, apparently

personally, i'm filing it along side all the rocket surgeons who managed to crack the die on the og athlon cpus. not a great design, but also not an issue if you're careful.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

needed to move a mobo and cpu in luggage a couple months back, ended up just leaving the cpu attached to the motherboard to avoid pins getting hosed up by the move

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Lambert posted:

Except it's very hard to "break" pins. What the gently caress are you doing, are you using a hammer to seat your CPU?

except its not because they're pretty easy to bend. they're thin metal and because of the extremely bad socket design on amd CPUs that cements CPUs to coolers it makes them even more likely to bend.

you'd have to be pretty goddamned stupid to defend AMD still using pins

pram
Jun 10, 2001
lol

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

twist all coolers. intel or amd. some brands of thermal grease are like epoxy when it dries out.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
imo id rather have the pins on the cpu. in my price bracket the two cost about the same, but a zif socket is designed for a lot more insertions than lga. if you touch an lga socket at all, good chance youve hosed it, either with skin oil or by slightly tweaking those leaf finger contact things. and you'll never get them perfect again. pins are a lot more forgiving, in my experience. straighten em with a credit card or something, the socket will pull em straight if you get em close

number of amd cpus ive seen dead from bent pins: like 2 or 3
number of intel mobos ive seen dead from bent lga sockets: couple boxes. like 20 maybe?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

pro tip: don't touch the lga socket.

don't touch the cpu pins either.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Apr 6, 2020

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

pro tip: gently caress and cum in ur mobo socket

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

no, you see, my anecdote will be data

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
Almost any cpu worth buying cost more than a motherboard so I’d prefer the pins be on the motherboard.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Raluek posted:

imo id rather have the pins on the cpu. in my price bracket the two cost about the same, but a zif socket is designed for a lot more insertions than lga.

you made me go look it up

depending on vendor and the specific socket, intel lga sockets are rated for 15 to 30 insertions. why on earth would you be doing more than 15 insertions in the lifespan of a single motherboard?

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I think I'd prefer the pins to be on the CPU but also for them to spend $2 more designing a bent piece of metal that locks it in place like the intels.

https://i.imgur.com/Q5JoUT5.mp4

pram
Jun 10, 2001
the amd socket is pretty poverty tier feeling

except the threadripper socket. thats a beefy boy

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pram posted:

the amd socket is pretty poverty tier feeling

except the threadripper socket. thats a beefy boy

i assume the threadripper socket is probably the epyc socket

pram
Jun 10, 2001

thats some good poo poo right there

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pram posted:

yes, threadripper and epyc are ... extremely good and cool

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

lambert

pram
Jun 10, 2001

hosed up, but true

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

pram posted:

overengineering the cpu socket is some poo poo I can get behind

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I want to have to set it down like a head on a high perfmornace engine with torque wrnches etc

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

you made me go look it up

depending on vendor and the specific socket, intel lga sockets are rated for 15 to 30 insertions. why on earth would you be doing more than 15 insertions in the lifespan of a single motherboard?

testing cpus? :shrug: i did think it was fewer than that tho

Perplx posted:

Almost any cpu worth buying cost more than a motherboard so I’d prefer the pins be on the motherboard.

last time i built a machine for myself (which was some time ago ill admit) both the cpu and board were around $250, if memory serves

infernal machines posted:

pro tip: don't touch the lga socket.

don't touch the cpu pins either.

well yeah, sure. durability doesnt matter if you never gently caress up. but you can touch the pins on a zif cpu, or like set it down on a table, without killing it, unlike an lga socket. obviously you should do neither thing, but sometimes non-ideal things happen

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

pram posted:

Pictured: a 50% scale model of a Threadripper CPU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

echinopsis posted:

I want to have to set it down like a head on a high perfmornace engine with torque wrnches etc

that latch mechanism actually requires three torx screws to open and close

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0IbxYyN1Dg

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

lmao I just noticed the thermal grease is mayo

multigl
Nov 22, 2005

"Who's cool and has two thumbs? This guy!"

r u ready to WALK posted:

I bought a 3900x system last week, didn't like the noise levels on the stock amd "wraith prism" cooler and upgraded to a noctua nh-u9s this week

I wanted to scream when I undid the cooler clamps and discovered the CPU glued to the back of the dumb amd cooler with a bunch of bent pins because their thermal paste is so sticky :gonk:

it still works after bending the pins back, but clearly intel has the better socket since the cpu retaining clamp actually goes around the chip. You'd have to pull the whole integrated heat spreader off for the same thing to happen on a intel socket

seems like this happens all the time too https://community.amd.com/thread/231853

exact same thing happened to me. mercifully things work after re-aligning all of the pins.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

lmao I just noticed the thermal grease is mayo

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/thermal-paste-performance-benchmark,3616-16.html

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

why on earth would you be doing more than 15 insertions in the lifespan of a single motherboard?

pls don't use outdated gender norms to shame your mom

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
lol i remember accidentally yanking a socket 939 cpu straight out of the socket when i was trying to pull off the heatsink. got lucky and didn't bend any pins though.

this is still a thing with AMD cpus? lol

(that said i can't remember the last time i dismounted a cpu heatsink. maybe 2014?)

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

echinopsis posted:

I had to swap one of these out that had bad PCI lanes and the service manual they sent with it had torque specs

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

the present amd socket is bad and there's no real argument it's a cheap piece of poo poo that looks dated to 2002 and making a better one is a pittance

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

echinopsis posted:

i remember reading ages ago in some tech journal about an (ibm?) server where whatever custom processor / socket they were using required hundreds of pounds of insertion force. so that does exist somewhere

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
badass

although why lol would it require that

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I don’t know but I’ve seen some sockets for unsoldered bga chips (for development boards where you want to change the chip) that take a hell of a lot of pressure. I assume it’s to make a solid electrical contact without the solder.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

bendy pins are the price you pay for superior performance

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol jim silly balls takes a massive load

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Broken Machine posted:

i remember reading ages ago in some tech journal about an (ibm?) server where whatever custom processor / socket they were using required hundreds of pounds of insertion force. so that does exist somewhere

sun and ibm have both shipped products that required a torque wrench to get the correct forces on the socket

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

i made a fan shroud in openscad, there's two 80mm fans behind it sucking hot air from the cpu out of the case

it's neat to see this thing score 7100 points in cinebench and still be almost completely silent, noctua makes good stuff