Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Algol Star
Sep 6, 2010

ThomasPaine posted:

he has a solid 95% chance of survving based on hospitalisation/critical care/death rates even though it pains me to say it

No he really doesn't. If he ends up on a ventilator his chances are poor. People of his age and shape are not doing well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

namesake posted:

I watched Contagion 3 weeks ago and my thoughts were 'Well I'm glad the CFR is 10x times larger than what's happening now' so lol if you took any other messages from it because otherwise it's a perfect representation of what's going on.

What struck me was that, outside of a few petty local politicians, the global political response is largely to defer to scientific recommendations. There's a distinct lack of "back to work for the good of number"

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Bardeh posted:

It's poo poo. I keep thinking I have a tight chest, and a few days ago I had some weird little dizzy spells, and every time it's like 'oh gently caress here we go, it begins' but then I get some sleep, wake up feeling fine, and as the day wears on it happens again, over and over.

But if I get really into a game or book or something, I don't feel the symptoms at all, so I know it has to be all in my mind, but once I get pulled away from the distractions by family or chores or whatever, there's the tight chested feeling again and arrrrgh

Exactly the same with me though I’ve calmed down a little bit more. If I went outside I got this weird sort of pressure all around my head and the dizzy spells indoors too. Not to mention the constant “does my chest hurt? Am I breathing normally?”

Again, gaming or other proper distractions and it goes away. I had a panic attack on day 3 of work sending everyone home but weirdly because I’ve had them before and knew it was ‘just’ apanic attack so wasn’t too bothered by it.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Algol Star posted:

No he really doesn't. If he ends up on a ventilator his chances are poor. People of his age and shape are not doing well.

Correct, but you're working with huge numbers and the bad cases are always going to be the ones highlighted. He has an approx ~10-20% chance of needing a ventilator, and assuming he needs one he still has 50/50 odds. It's not odds I'd particularly like to face, but as a single case he's way more likely to survive it than not.

Chinese Gordon
Oct 22, 2008

ThomasPaine posted:

he has a solid 95% chance of survving based on hospitalisation/critical care/death rates even though it pains me to say it

Fully 50% of people in ICU with it have died. Obesity/hypertension/being male are all increased risk factors.

He's probably on balance not going to die, but I'd say the chance is much greater than 5%

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Chinese Gordon posted:

Fully 50% of people in ICU with it have died. Obesity/hypertension/being male are all increased risk factors.

He's probably on balance not going to die, but I'd say the chance is much greater than 5%

Probably slightly higher given he's a fatass drunk, but i'd still say he survives 9 times out of 10

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
He's not dying, he simply has all of the viral stuff exploding out of every orifice.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
If a disgruntled husband with a shotgun couldn’t get him, nothing can

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is harry cole obligated to also die of corona if boris does?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

namesake posted:

I watched Contagion 3 weeks ago and my thoughts were 'Well I'm glad the CFR is 10x times larger than what's happening now' so lol if you took any other messages from it because otherwise it's a perfect representation of what's going on.

Christ can you imagine how hosed we'd be if rona had a CFR of 1 in 3, as standard? It'd probably end up over 50% once everything got overwhelmed.

Also I did like how Matt Damon's guy was immune and the authorities were like "That's cool but it's not actually all that useful to us, we've got your blood and stuff but this isn't really the angle through which a vaccine or cure is actually most likely to be fruitful, go home."

Also also what was the end result, like 2 and a half million dead in America, ten times that globally by the time the vaccine rolls out? That's the least believable part of all, looking at our current shitshow something with a 33% CFR would kill a billion people before that point lmao

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:

Jose posted:

Someone post that video from Frankie Boyles show

Bit late but here you go. Yeah they hosed.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Tarnop posted:

What struck me was that, outside of a few petty local politicians, the global political response is largely to defer to scientific recommendations. There's a distinct lack of "back to work for the good of number"

Well ampification is really important in that situation because when this poo poo will obvious kill you and everyone you know there will be a different reaction to COVID 19. If something is a scythe of humanity then class interest geniunely aligns with human interest.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

namesake posted:

Well ampification is really important in that situation because when this poo poo will obvious kill you and everyone you know there will be a different reaction to COVID 19. If something is a scythe of humanity then class interest geniunely aligns with human interest.

Yeah, fair point. The idea that a less deadly virus could have a higher human cost is something I hadn't considered until it started happening for real.

Also, Matt Damon's character is like the perfect lib avatar, just disapproving of the world going to poo poo as he glides through with perfect immunity.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Corbyn gave Bojo some rona laced jam as a parting gift.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Boxit?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/samisam147/status/1246947902724980736?s=19

If Boris actually dies this country will lose the loving plot. Pure madness.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1246950417810034689
Hahahahaha not even Trump gives a poo poo about BoJo.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

On the other hand britain will have created the greatest tale of hubris since the ancient greeks were writing.

Never in a thousand years would any one person have eaten poo poo so utterly as bojo.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

"Take it on the chin, ye mighty, and despair."

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

RIP my large adult leader

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

i'm going to have terminal blueballs if he doesn't croak nevermind the rona

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME
It is the 21st Century. For more than ten hours Boris Johnson has sat immobile in an undisclosed London hospital. He is the Prime Minister of Great Britain by the will of the thumbs, and master of sixty million souls by the might of parliamentary majority. He is a rotting carcass writhing invisibly with power from a repurposed Dyson hoover. He is the Covid Lord of the Empire for whom a thousand lungs are sacrificed every day, so that number may never truly die.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Does anyone have a link to that site that had what all the uk companies were doing for employees during the lockdown. It was posted in last months thread but I can't find it.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

I have never wanted to be a crofter living my best life in the middle of nowhere more than right now

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

All those years of grift from going on HIGNFY to mayor to foreign sec, all for this moment, then the rona comes and kills him cos his first prime ministerial action was licking patients.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

biscuits and crazy posted:

Does anyone have a link to that site that had what all the uk companies were doing for employees during the lockdown. It was posted in last months thread but I can't find it.

https://www.lewiscotter.com/brands

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Thanks, thats the one.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
RIP my big wet Prime Minister.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

https://twitter.com/Devon_OnEarth/status/1246919921755455494

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Since we were talking about the Cowboy Junkies, it's nice to see they put out a video just for Boris.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AudKEn620BY

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Murderion posted:

It is the 21st Century. For more than ten hours Boris Johnson has sat immobile in an undisclosed London hospital. He is the Prime Minister of Great Britain by the will of the thumbs, and master of sixty million souls by the might of parliamentary majority. He is a rotting carcass writhing invisibly with power from a repurposed Dyson hoover. He is the Covid Lord of the Empire for whom a thousand lungs are sacrificed every day, so that number may never truly die.

:vomarine:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
'Ello, I wish to register a complaint.
I wish to complain about this PM what I purchased not half a year ago from this very country.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

I can't help think the PM would be able to receive a pretty good standard of care in downing Street + they wouldn't want to give the appearance of weakness or cause panic so if he's going to hospital he must be getting tubed or something equally intensive.

Coin flip if the PM lives?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah I was wondering that, surely they have their own medical staff in number 10?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Saros posted:

I can't help think the PM would be able to receive a pretty good standard of care in downing Street + they wouldn't want to give the appearance of weakness or cause panic so if he's going to hospital he must be getting tubed or something equally intensive.

If they can ventilate someone in a convention centre they can do it at Number 10, IMO.

I think it's likely that they are actually just being cautious and saying "Right, go lay in a bed so we can get all these tests done quickly" just on the offchance that he does need oxygen or other treatment, and have announced it now so that BRAVE BORIS BATTLES BUG gets to be the headline in the papers tomorrow, can't have the Queen hogging the limelight can we?

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Saros posted:

https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1246958631632896002

My best guess is that they've been monitoring his oxygen levels and they're now officially worried about him. Blood tests and routine monitoring of oxygen levels they could do easily in Downing Street, and they could easily arrange to give him oxygen if they wanted to, but Covid can progress very fast. If he's needing oxygen after 9-10 days he officially has a serious case, and you want an ITU bed very close by if that happens.

For appearances sake they could keep him in hospital overnight while they kit out a room at Downing Street with as much kit as an intensive care unit 'just in case', so if they announce he's been discharged tomorrow I'll be keeping an eye out for a video message or some other sort of appearance. If there isn't one, he's probably sicker than they're letting on.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

If they can ventilate someone in a convention centre they can do it at Number 10, IMO.

I think it's likely that they are actually just being cautious and saying "Right, go lay in a bed so we can get all these tests done quickly" just on the offchance that he does need oxygen or other treatment, and have announced it now so that BRAVE BORIS BATTLES BUG gets to be the headline in the papers tomorrow, can't have the Queen hogging the limelight can we?

Only tests (other than blood tests) I can really think he might need would be a chest x-ray or a CT scan. And being the PM, he wouldn't have to wait for a scanner slot or for the report to be written so they could be done in under an hour. I can't think of any reason for him to stay overnight "for tests".

jabby fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Apr 6, 2020

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I'm very worried about the effect this will have on Number. I think Are Boris needs to think long and hard about whether one life is worth more than the economy.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Alternatively there is always a chance that he has a mild case and the hospital admission is just a stunt to garner sympathy among the public and cast any criticism of the governments handling of the crisis as poor taste, particularly his earlier dismissals of the threat posed. Pure speculation of course but I probably wouldn't put it past them.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

I'm finding it hard to parse what has actually happened to him. It's like when parents say their child was "rushed to hospital and very unwell" when they had a mild respiratory illness that got better with a few puffs of salbutamol. Which parts of this are serious medical fact, what's newspaper bullshit, and what's government spin?

A suspicious part of me thinks he's totally fine and this has just been put out to make people take coronavirus more seriously, given recent issues with people hanging around in parks. If he was just sat in number 10 eating chips would anyone even know?

Keeping him in hospital would be dumb, as others have said, if he doesn't need to be there. I'm sure number 10 has its own on-call doctor, or they can find someone who'd be willing to do this privately. If he's going to hospital it's because he looks like poo poo and needs observation, +/- respiratory support and consideration for ITU. They wouldn't admit him for "routine tests" because hospitals are full of sick people and at capacity. We're so far beyond the point where we admit people "just to see what they do overnight", especially when number 10 has the capacity to do this in-house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

winegums posted:

A suspicious part of me thinks he's totally fine and this has just been put out to make people take coronavirus more seriously, given recent issues with people hanging around in parks. If he was just sat in number 10 eating chips would anyone even know?

My issue with this is that I don't think the government wants to stop people hanging around in parks. They know it's not a big problem, it's just a handy scapegoat and distraction from their failings. Sending BoJo to hospital doesn't seem like a good PR move under any circumstances, since it just (unfairly) makes people think he's a weak leader.