Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Poil posted:

Is it at all possible to prevent the separatist rebels Ethiopia starts with from breaking away? It took a few decades, and three wars against three different countries to get those three provinces back. Had to break an alliance because they decided it would be a great idea to steal one of them. Enjoy being a 3 dev OPM shitheads!

Yes? Just walk over and stomp them fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Unless they got seriously buffed in a new patch I don't see how it's an issue. Grab a general from your nobles and merc up if you have to. Better taking a few loans then having to reconquer your own land

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

There wasn't enough time to wait for mercs to train.

Fister Roboto posted:

Yes? Just walk over and stomp them fast.
It didn't work. They start at 99.9% and the time it took me to walk the few provinces over to them and beat their troops I didn't manage to liberate the province in time before they seceded. Gave the order to march before I unpaused.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Okay I just fired it up. As soon as you start March to semien. It looks like the rebels start the game moving into demiya. Rebels can only enforce if they control enough land. If you start marching to semien as soon as you start you'll liberate it right as they occupy demiya. Then you can smash them in demiya and liberate that province

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Thanks. That would've been smarter yes.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Wafflecopper posted:

op is new to the game man give em a break

I'm not new lol I just return to this once a year and each time I do they've put in 50 new mechanics (also I'm bad and a poor multitasker). Speaking of, one thing I think is brilliant is that you can now transport your troops without even having to select the transport ships. I'm not a fan of Paradox's current Train Simulator-style DLC/expansions model, but I have to admit that they've done a fantastic job with the interface over the years, and everything is a lot more fleshed out.

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Butua is better but if you're in ironman you might as well go for the Freddy Mercury cheevo and pick Kilwa. DDRJake is also doing an Imerina run: they've got the second best national ideas on the place and so worth a try as well

I'm actually just wrapping up an Imerina run. I'm a little disappointed, I never really turned into a trading powerhouse:

This is just after losing a war to Pasai, who had an insane 200-ship navy. They took a couple of my provinces in Java and Sumatra. That was just poor preparation on my part.

Either way, I think I'm still missing something mechanically as far as trade goes. I had gently caress all trade power in Malacca for most of the game, and half of what little I managed to get to the Cape was stolen by the Europeans. So I had a problem on both ends. Please help me improve.

The goal of the Asian strat is to gain control over the Malacca trade node (or I guess India if you manage to defeat its resident blob) and steer as much as possible towards the Cape, right? So instead of collecting in both Zanzibar and the Cape, I should have just switched my capital to the Cape as soon as possible, and steered Zanzibar's trade towards it? It does seem obvious now that I think about it.

Second, I focused on shutting out the Europeans from Indonesia by colonizing as much as possible and taking out the minor states in the region. I was fairly successful at doing that, but it didn't help me much because Pasai and Brunei were so dominant in Malacca that I only had 5-6% of the trade power there for a very long time. What was the mistake here? Should I have gone after Pasai and/or Brunei more aggressively from the start? I'm actually not sure I could have defeated them at that point.

By the way, I assume it would have been a good idea to let my capital get captured by Sunni zealots at the start of the game. It really was a pain dealing with so many Islamic provinces as a Fetishist nation.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I think the literal only patch in over a year was a fix to some mod bug

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

I'm not new lol I just return to this once a year and each time I do they've put in 50 new mechanics (also I'm bad and a poor multitasker). Speaking of, one thing I think is brilliant is that you can now transport your troops without even having to select the transport ships. I'm not a fan of Paradox's current Train Simulator-style DLC/expansions model, but I have to admit that they've done a fantastic job with the interface over the years, and everything is a lot more fleshed out.

I'm actually just wrapping up an Imerina run. I'm a little disappointed, I never really turned into a trading powerhouse:

This is just after losing a war to Pasai, who had an insane 200-ship navy. They took a couple of my provinces in Java and Sumatra. That was just poor preparation on my part.

Either way, I think I'm still missing something mechanically as far as trade goes. I had gently caress all trade power in Malacca for most of the game, and half of what little I managed to get to the Cape was stolen by the Europeans. So I had a problem on both ends. Please help me improve.

The goal of the Asian strat is to gain control over the Malacca trade node (or I guess India if you manage to defeat its resident blob) and steer as much as possible towards the Cape, right? So instead of collecting in both Zanzibar and the Cape, I should have just switched my capital to the Cape as soon as possible, and steered Zanzibar's trade towards it? It does seem obvious now that I think about it.

Second, I focused on shutting out the Europeans from Indonesia by colonizing as much as possible and taking out the minor states in the region. I was fairly successful at doing that, but it didn't help me much because Pasai and Brunei were so dominant in Malacca that I only had 5-6% of the trade power there for a very long time. What was the mistake here? Should I have gone after Pasai and/or Brunei more aggressively from the start? I'm actually not sure I could have defeated them at that point.

By the way, I assume it would have been a good idea to let my capital get captured by Sunni zealots at the start of the game. It really was a pain dealing with so many Islamic provinces as a Fetishist nation.

How were you not able to take on Pasai? You probably should've been able to steam roll them. Shouldn't you be able to have all of the Mollucas/Philippines trade companied? You should never collect in multiple nodes. What order did you take ideas in?

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

I love Mega-Mahra and Giga-Gorkha. Also the white elephant rising and the Mamluks doing quite well for themselves. Mind taking a screenshot of Europe in this game? Love this stuff.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Phlegmish posted:

Disclaimer, I'm not great at the game or at trade, but I believe the ideal strategy in that situation is to not let the ducats ever get to the cape. If they get to the cape, then the euros will siphon it off from the next node in line (I think half their trade power in the next node is used to siphon income from the previous one or something like that), which is Ivory coast; you should've only collected with your trade capital in Zanzibar, so all the money that got there would stay there, and since you have 100% (or thereabouts depending on merchants and how many ships they send to protect trade there) of the cape, no one would siphon that income away from Zanzibar! There's still some trickling out usually, but at that point it's really minor.

Also you colonized/conquered all of the Moluccas which IIRC feeds directly only into the Malacca trade node with no possibility to send it directly to Zanzibar which is bad, and Malacca is also siphoned off by India. You should've focused on conquering Malaccan lands, esp. centers of trade, before Moluccan ones, only having Brunei is not really enough to make a difference. Not sure when you got there, but the best way to crush Pasai, Malacca etc is when they're still small, if you let them get big they'll drown you in heavies (though with all the gold mines you have, you could've easily outheavied them, once you own all of east/south africa you have more gold than anyone else)

Edit: drat I didn't remember that a patch changed it so Malacca doesn't flow directly into Zanzibar anymore, but to the Cape :( that makes it a lot harder to keep trade in Africa (you'd have to steer it through all of india + Gulf of Aden and still the various nations on the way would suck a lot of ducats), which I guess is historical but kinda sucks

Not sure if it's a DLC thing but you should of course also upgrade your owned centers of trade to level 2 or even 3, and send huuuuge fleets of light ships to protect trade in any contested node, it can make all the difference. Go to war with people even if it's only to destroy their light ships fleets, and you'll get a LOT more trade power than them until they rebuild...

For general trade advice, it's very old now but still a recommended view: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edjLVFMjPyo

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Apr 5, 2020

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Merchants sent to collect in a node which isn't your main one gives you a massive penalty to trade power in it. As mentioned if you want to collect in Cape you need as much trade power in the Ivory Coast as possible to stop the European leeches from sucking it all away.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Sampatrick posted:

How were you not able to take on Pasai? You probably should've been able to steam roll them. Shouldn't you be able to have all of the Mollucas/Philippines trade companied? You should never collect in multiple nodes. What order did you take ideas in?

The defeat is entirely on me, I always play these ridiculous marathon sessions (especially now with the lockdown) and by the end I'm just playing on autopilot, not really paying attention anymore. I did think I would be able to steamroll them easily, but it turned out they had something stupid like a 100 heavy ships. I was not prepared for that.

I don't think trade companies are a thing in my version of the game. The only DLC I have is Rights of Man, Common Sense, and Art of War. Which order of ideas would you recommend in this scenario?

TorakFade posted:

Disclaimer, I'm not great at the game or at trade, but I believe the ideal strategy in that situation is to not let the ducats ever get to the cape. If they get to the cape, then the euros will siphon it off from the next node in line (I think half their trade power in the next node is used to siphon income from the previous one or something like that), which is Ivory coast; you should've only collected with your trade capital in Zanzibar, so all the money that got there would stay there, and since you have 100% (or thereabouts depending on merchants and how many ships they send to protect trade there) of the cape, no one would siphon that income away from Zanzibar! There's still some trickling out usually, but at that point it's really minor.

Also you colonized/conquered all of the Moluccas which IIRC feeds directly only into the Malacca trade node with no possibility to send it directly to Zanzibar which is bad, and Malacca is also siphoned off by India. You should've focused on conquering Malaccan lands, esp. centers of trade, before Moluccan ones, only having Brunei is not really enough to make a difference. Not sure when you got there, but the best way to crush Pasai, Malacca etc is when they're still small, if you let them get big they'll drown you in heavies (though with all the gold mines you have, you could've easily outheavied them, once you own all of east/south africa you have more gold than anyone else)

Edit: drat I didn't remember that a patch changed it so Malacca doesn't flow directly into Zanzibar anymore, but to the Cape :( that makes it a lot harder to keep trade in Africa (you'd have to steer it through all of india + Gulf of Aden and still the various nations on the way would suck a lot of ducats), which I guess is historical but kinda sucks

Not sure if it's a DLC thing but you should of course also upgrade your owned centers of trade to level 2 or even 3, and send huuuuge fleets of light ships to protect trade in any contested node, it can make all the difference. Go to war with people even if it's only to destroy their light ships fleets, and you'll get a LOT more trade power than them until they rebuild...

For general trade advice, it's very old now but still a recommended view: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edjLVFMjPyo

Yeah, that's what I figured, I should have focused on taking over everything in Malacca, and not the Moluccas. It took me a while to get there, since I started out as a landlocked three-province nation and my first priority was colonizing the Cape and taking out Kilwa. It was also such a messy marathon game that I ran out of time to fully take over the trade node that actually mattered, although I did succeed in keeping out the Europeans.

But even then there still would have been the problem that you mentioned, it all gets funneled to the Cape rather than Zanzibar. That's the reason why I was collecting in both nodes, which I know you should not be doing normally. With just a handful of light ships I did have about half the trade power in the Cape, however, even with the massive penalty - so maybe I should have just changed my capital to the Cape region? That way I could have just let Zanzibar transfer trade, and with the home node advantage I could have collected the vast majority of Zanzibar + Malacca trade.

trapped mouse posted:

I love Mega-Mahra and Giga-Gorkha. Also the white elephant rising and the Mamluks doing quite well for themselves. Mind taking a screenshot of Europe in this game? Love this stuff.

Sure.

France is a minor nation and the Ottomans were destroyed. Reversal of fortune! Guess their alliance didn't work out.

Bonus mega-Inca.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Prussia conquering the entire Commonwealth all by themselves while Brandenburg has barely gained a province... :popeye:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Phlegmish posted:

trade questions
If you own all of Cape, you collect in Zanzibar. Move your Trade Capital to Zanzibar and only collect there; have all your merchants up-stream funneling trade to Zanzibar. By doing that, Cape is your shield from the trade value getting shipped up stream to Ivory Coast and Europe beyond it because no one will have any power in Cape, because you own the whole thing. If they have no power in Cape, they are impotent when trying to pull trade value from Zanzibar to Cape.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Sampatrick posted:

You should never collect in multiple nodes.

This is generally correct, but there are absolutely times when you should collect in multiple nodes.

Russia is the easiest example. You will have 100% trade power in Kazan, and less than 100% in Novgorod, and you will make more money letting your capital auto collect in Novgorod while having a merchant collect every ducat that flows into Kazan.

India is another place where you can often make more money collecting in all the big three nodes, rather than funnel it somewhere, unless you have monopolized said node.

Don't be afraid to shuffle your merchants around during peacetime, guess and check your way to the best distribution of merchants.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

If you own all of Cape, you collect in Zanzibar. Move your Trade Capital to Zanzibar and only collect there; have all your merchants up-stream funneling trade to Zanzibar. By doing that, Cape is your shield from the trade value getting shipped up stream to Ivory Coast and Europe beyond it because no one will have any power in Cape, because you own the whole thing. If they have no power in Cape, they are impotent when trying to pull trade value from Zanzibar to Cape.

Nah, you need to collect in Cape if you want your trade from SEA. The optimal thing to do would have been to probably take over the Ivory Coast and then use that in order to shield trade in Cape.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Sampatrick posted:

Nah, you need to collect in Cape if you want your trade from SEA. The optimal thing to do would have been to probably take over the Ivory Coast and then use that in order to shield trade in Cape.
Why? What is the difference owning all of Zanzibar and Cape and collecting in Zanzibar compared to owning all of Zanzibar, Cape, and Ivory Coast and collecting in Cape? It sounds like the same idea, just way more work. I have done it the way I described and it works great, I do not see what the difference would be letting it get to Cape and needing to conquer all of Ivory Coast from the smattering of European super powers that have one colony there instead of just collecting in Zanzibar with Cape as the shield.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

PittTheElder posted:

This is generally correct, but there are absolutely times when you should collect in multiple nodes.

Russia is the easiest example. You will have 100% trade power in Kazan, and less than 100% in Novgorod, and you will make more money letting your capital auto collect in Novgorod while having a merchant collect every ducat that flows into Kazan.

India is another place where you can often make more money collecting in all the big three nodes, rather than funnel it somewhere, unless you have monopolized said node.

Don't be afraid to shuffle your merchants around during peacetime, guess and check your way to the best distribution of merchants.

also if you have significant trade power in multiple end nodes

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Why? What is the difference owning all of Zanzibar and Cape and collecting in Zanzibar compared to owning all of Zanzibar, Cape, and Ivory Coast and collecting in Cape? It sounds like the same idea, just way more work. I have done it the way I described and it works great, I do not see what the difference would be letting it get to Cape and needing to conquer all of Ivory Coast from the smattering of European super powers that have one colony there instead of just collecting in Zanzibar with Cape as the shield.

I think the idea is you're redirecting your Spice Islands trade directly from Malacca to the Cape instead of passing through the Indian Trade areas, thereby skipping on other countries nickel-and-diming that value away with redirects and collection.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

you should collect in multiple nodes when it makes you more money than just chaining. unfortunately you have to trial and error that and wait a few month ticks for updates

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Wafflecopper posted:

also if you have significant trade power in multiple end nodes

Yep. Extreme example, but if you control 100% of Genoa and Venice, you'd be literally throwing away money if you didn't collect in both. This holds true for effective end nodes (ones where you control all of it and all of its downstream nodes, like Zanzibar->Cape) too.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Sage Grimm posted:

I think the idea is you're redirecting your Spice Islands trade directly from Malacca to the Cape instead of passing through the Indian Trade areas, thereby skipping on other countries nickel-and-diming that value away with redirects and collection.
Did they change the trade routes? Because when I did it you could go from Malacca to Zanzibar.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yes, Torak mentioned it earlier, Malacca is no longer directly linked to Zanzibar, its trade goes to the Cape instead. I would guess the profitability of changing your home node to the Cape depends on just how much trade value you control in Zanzibar, Malacca, and the Cape, respectively.

I'm playing a Kilwa game right now, my plan is to develop Cape provinces and conquer as much of Malacca as possible. At some point I will switch my capital to the Cape to see what happens. Part of the incoming trade from Zanzibar + Malacca will be getting siphoned by the Ivory Coast, but I assume that will be compensated by the fact that there's so much coming in.

e: it's a valid strat, but I'm not sure it's entirely worth it. It took me until the 18th century to get everything set up, and just as I was putting the finishing touches on it, I got destroyed by intrest/inflation/Europeans. My fleet was worthless due to being so far behind in technology. It didn't help that they gave me garbage rulers/heirs durng the entire game.

I just don't understand how your technology is supposed to keep up when you have a massive far-flung empire. You're almost forced to take out huge loans to embrace new institutions, which tanks your economy. You also spend so much mana developing provinces that there's nothing left for technology advancements. I wonder what I'm doing wrong.
I'm also always hemorrhaging Admin points when expanding, due to coring everything (twice if it's in a new state), but maybe that one's normal.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Apr 6, 2020

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

I'm also always hemorrhaging Admin points when expanding, due to coring everything (twice if it's in a new state), but maybe that one's normal.

Release vassals and eat them later.

Finally got back into EU 4 after not playing since early 2018 or late 2017 and a lot of stuff has changed. Anyone have advice on starting as Milan? I want to try ambrosia republic out but it seems like there are no possible wars that don't end with me fighting 40k troops

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Apr 8, 2020

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Well, thus endeth the Ethiopia run. 1630s and then the Ottomans declared war as they tirelessly blobbed south, and all other directions as well. If it was even remotely plausible to win a single battle against their 5-1 advantage they regain manpower faster than I could possibly kill them and that's not even taking into account the unlimited mercs they could afford to hire. If When I lose they will grab a chunk out of my income, forcelimit, manpower and utterly cripple my trade income while increasing their own even further by a fraction. Which will make the next war even more impossible. I was allied to France but they understandably went lol nope. It's not like they would've been more than a speedbump anyway. :sigh:

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Finally got back into EU 4 after not playing since early 2018 or late 2017 and a lot of stuff has changed. Anyone have advice on starting as Milan? I want to try ambrosia republic out but it seems like there are no possible wars that don't end with me fighting 40k troops
Pretty much just wait and hope to get lucky with an opportunity. Get some decent allies if you can.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

Yes, Torak mentioned it earlier, Malacca is no longer directly linked to Zanzibar, its trade goes to the Cape instead. I would guess the profitability of changing your home node to the Cape depends on just how much trade value you control in Zanzibar, Malacca, and the Cape, respectively.

I'm playing a Kilwa game right now, my plan is to develop Cape provinces and conquer as much of Malacca as possible. At some point I will switch my capital to the Cape to see what happens. Part of the incoming trade from Zanzibar + Malacca will be getting siphoned by the Ivory Coast, but I assume that will be compensated by the fact that there's so much coming in.

e: it's a valid strat, but I'm not sure it's entirely worth it. It took me until the 18th century to get everything set up, and just as I was putting the finishing touches on it, I got destroyed by intrest/inflation/Europeans. My fleet was worthless due to being so far behind in technology. It didn't help that they gave me garbage rulers/heirs durng the entire game.

I just don't understand how your technology is supposed to keep up when you have a massive far-flung empire. You're almost forced to take out huge loans to embrace new institutions, which tanks your economy. You also spend so much mana developing provinces that there's nothing left for technology advancements. I wonder what I'm doing wrong.

1) You have the second or third most good provinces in the entire game and some of the best resources beside that. Every gold mine should be devices to, 10, I think the math was and kept there.

2) Keeping up in tech and institution is paramount. I've never taken innovative early game but some people swear by it, personally I feel economic, with its native inflation reduction/increasing your other incomes, Dev cost to help you get the institution and good events is better but eh

You're making trade companies right? These are half cost coring outside Africa. When the question comes to "Should I have taken the Malacca trade nodes earlier?" The answer is always yes. The earlier, the more disunited it is, the better.

It's so much simpler to get Moluccas/Philippines by comparison. If you are playing as the Shire Africans you get native -15% diploannex cost which almost makes up for the "wasted" dip and time but otherwise, ehh.

For trade I watched Remains Paradox videos a few times and I guess some of it stuck.

3) Never, ever cede the Ivory coast if you do t have to. Make an ally of convenience there (Songhai or Benin are good, Air is a decent third choice) and sell them your institution or, failing that, conquer and release one as a vassal (usually Benin) and take control. The euros are always gonna be after your sweet trade and you have to use the Ivory coast as your stopper. This means that yes you have to cap the Cape but you also have to take the centers of trade you can, while you can. This do why conquest of the Indonesia area is so important, you should just be colonizing there to be able to get claims/neighbour for holy war.

If you have the important miltechs over them it's a cakewalk. If not, your better ideas and equal numbers will have to suffice.

This is without going into India, which is a whole other category and usually warrants a proper war later on for those sweet, sweet nodes

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Malacca into Malaya is incredibly OP to the point of becoming boring, it's not even 1700 and I own all of the East Indies, am ahead in every tech, and make 120 ducats just from trade every month.

Anyone have more recommendations for an interesting start? With good ideas and options but not too snowbally.

Poil posted:

Well, thus endeth the Ethiopia run. 1630s and then the Ottomans declared war as they tirelessly blobbed south, and all other directions as well. If it was even remotely plausible to win a single battle against their 5-1 advantage they regain manpower faster than I could possibly kill them and that's not even taking into account the unlimited mercs they could afford to hire. If When I lose they will grab a chunk out of my income, forcelimit, manpower and utterly cripple my trade income while increasing their own even further by a fraction. Which will make the next war even more impossible. I was allied to France but they understandably went lol nope. It's not like they would've been more than a speedbump anyway. :sigh:

Yeah, I got really lucky in my Ethiopia run, with the Mamluks holding their own so I didn't have to fight the Ottomans until late in the game. You could try building up your navy + putting down a series of high-level forts in strategic locations. Let them wear themselves out and wipe out isolated little stacks if you can. Hold on as long as possible while blockading their ports. Eventually they should be willing to peace out.

e: thanks for the tips, Deceitful Penguin. You mean I should develop my gold provinces' production (diplo) until it's at 10, right?

For institutions I've been force-developing in a cluster while generally ignoring other provinces, as suggested in this thread. It does seem to help quite a bit, although I still have to take out loans to get the required money. At what tech penalty are you supposed to start developing for institutions? I often run into the problem that I waste so much mana on it that my tech levels start falling behind.

Also, I don't think I have the trade company DLC.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Apr 8, 2020

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Every eu4 game is snowball or bust. Some starts just take longer. Play Hisn Kayfa and do Saladin's Legacy or something

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Phlegmish posted:

Anyone have more recommendations for an interesting start? With good ideas and options but not too snowbally.

Brabant, form the Netherlands and start colonising. Some people will tell you to start as Holland instead, but seek the truth in your heart; you know it's better to be Brabant.

It's a bit rough at first as you are a vassal to Burgundy, but you can easily find somebody like France or Austria who wants to cut Burgundy down to size and declare independence. I can't recall if you're allowed to do it while your overlord is at war, but even without it, it should be fairly easy to gank Burgundy with the help of France for example.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Seeing as I also live in Brabant, that sounds tempting. If I could somehow anachronistically form the Netherlands as Brabant while using the Flemish flag instead, that would just be perfect

Seems like you need serious chops to pull it off, though. That's pretty much one of the worst possible starting positions (much like in real life) given the powers that surround you.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

wallachia

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Starting as a vassal of a big power that has even bigger enemies is actually a pretty easy start, relatively speaking. It guarantees you a big ally and, in brabant’s case, amazing land.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

^^^yeah brabant can easily get someoene like france to support their independence, take a bunch of burgundian land, but STAY A VASSAL, then do it again but break free next time

at least, i think it should still work that way

finally got a start where i could take mantua before they allied someone big or joined a trade league

now the republic will cover italy, and take rome whenever protestant reformation starts :getin:

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

You can't take land whilst remaining a vassal anymore.

Same still applies, though. Get France or Austria to support your independence, and they'll be your ally after the war. France is an obvious choice, but cozying up with the emperor and becoming a prince can make for some fun times.

THE BAR fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Apr 8, 2020

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'll give this Brabant thing a try. I'm not sure what to do if I actually do manage to form the Netherlands, though. I'm afraid of France, but maybe I won't be big enough for them to want to rival me.

e: damnit

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Phlegmish posted:

I'll give this Brabant thing a try. I'm not sure what to do if I actually do manage to form the Netherlands, though. I'm afraid of France, but maybe I won't be big enough for them to want to rival me.

e: damnit

They'll get mission claims on you eventually, but by that point you should be able to punch them yourself, or have friends who can assist you. If you have them as a lifelong ally, you can bump their trust to 100 and prevent any surprise wars on their part.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I keep reading about trust, I know there's a descriptive tooltip, but where do you see the numerical value?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Third tab on the Diplomacy section when looking at the country in question, though apparently it requires The Cossacks DLC?

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
Coming back to this after over a year. The subscription for DLC is awesome since I can just pay $5 a month for a few months instead of like $100+.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

thousands of hours in this game and i just discovered you can force march off boats :doh: