Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

marktheando posted:

Also, the shoes were attached to the legs.

:wtc: what on earth were they thinking with those loving monstrosities? The only one in the entire movie that looks even halfway decent is the grey/white Admiral’s uniform Kirk wears in the beginning.

Spock’s black Vulcan tunic thing owns though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Gene was at it again with the jumpsuits in TNG too, which were apparently so uncomfortable that they were loving up stewart and frakes’ backs. You almost wonder if the extras wearing skants were only doing it to keep their taints un-reaped by spandex

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Gene was at it again with the jumpsuits in TNG too, which were apparently so uncomfortable that they were loving up stewart and frakes’ backs.

Correct. Gene ordered that the uniforms be intentionally sized one or two sizes smaller than the actors' actual sizes.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

This is a really good Star Trek scene.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Timby posted:

Correct. Gene ordered that the uniforms be intentionally sized one or two sizes smaller than the actors' actual sizes.

Lol why would he do that?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Spacebump posted:

Because, in the future, there are no wrinkles or zippers or buttons or anything. It's just form fitting fabric.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Spacebump posted:

Because Gene was nuts and high as gently caress on pills for the entirety of the 80s.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Because Gene was nuts and high as gently caress on pills for the entirety of the 80s.

He had also suffered at least one stroke by the time TNG was in development, and his brain was completely shot to hell from drinking like a fish since the 1950s, doing copious amounts of LSD, and snorting Scarface-sized mountains of cocaine.

Roddenberry was completely addled to the point that he regularly fell asleep during meetings, which is why Leonard Maizlish, his lawyer, was able to basically take charge of story meetings and issue script notes in Roddenberry's name until saner heads began to prevail about halfway through the second season.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Big Mean Jerk posted:

:wtc: what on earth were they thinking with those loving monstrosities?

Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1979)

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
My take is that STP was a disjointed and poorly executed show that nevertheless had many enjoyable moments. I don't regret watching it but otoh I'll likely never re-watch it because I know it just never really comes together, therefore a second viewing is p much a waste of time that could be much better spent.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I've felt something similar before and yet I still rewatched Lost.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Admiral Bosch posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vxyd7L-2YuQ

this deleted scene from the worst star trek movie is a thousand times better than the entirety of STP and blows the data thanos snap scene out of the water

Why did they cut that scene. WHY

Into Darkness is worse than Nemesis

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

pyrotek posted:

Why did they cut that scene. WHY

Into Darkness is worse than Nemesis

Because it's good, and that movie can't be good.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

after Picard finished I decided to check out some of the other Trek things that were happening, I decided to check out some of the Short Treks and while some of the episodes work with the idea, like Spock and #1 being stuck in a turbolift, other episodes are just not good.

One that stuck out to me was the Tribbles one, this one I had high hopes going in because H. Jon Benjamin is always entertaining and Rosa Salazar is also a very competent actress as well. This episode just fell on its face multiple times, Lt. Edwards seemed more like a comedy blackhole and I wouldn't lay that blame at the choices Benjamin makes, it really just comes down to the writing of his scenarios and everyone else in the room. I can buy the character being upset that the new captain effectively embarrassed him in the first department head meeting but everything after that just really stretches the belief that this guy was able to get to the position he was in. I get the feeling that the writers wanted to make another Barclay, a character that is socially awkward and shy and not really able to open up during scrums and team meetings but actually has great insights that could be developed into something more substantial, so we kind of root for him, even when he is creating a disaster in the making. Instead I feel like what we got was Lt. Picard, the loser science officer that has no relationship with the senior officers whatsoever and whom Riker almost scoffs at when the idea of command is broached. Everyone else on the Cabot seems to treat him with disdain or just ignores him, the only person who seems to actually interact with him is the captain.

Then we have Captain Lucero, she is introduced with having a really good relationship with Pike so that's good, however the interactions she has with Edwards seem off. I feel that her conversation telling him that he is being reassigned happen a little too fast but then again the two weeks that this episode takes place over seems like a REALLY long time when most Trek episodes take place over at most a few days. I think it's more that I don't agree with the writing choice that she immediately wants to get rid of a crew member that hasn't actually done anything actively malicious outside of sending anonymous reports to the admiralty that "my new captain is DUM and she has a stupid face". It doesn't really inspire confidence in your audience of a characters credibility in the role they are supposed to have if they are just acting like children and that is both of the focal characters in this story. I just don't understand how any of the humourous things in this episode could actually be seen as funny.

I dunno, I could probably rant and rave for several paragraphs at how much squandered potential there was in the 15 minutes we got but I think the biggest take away is that the story they wanted to tell just seemed too half-baked for the template of Short Treks, I think it easily could have been a full length episode and maybe the story beats would make more sense and maybe actually be funny. But that's not what we got, instead we got squandered everything, Salazar and Benjamin do what they can with the material but it just sucks and such a waste for two great actors.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

CPColin posted:

I've felt something similar before and yet I still rewatched Lost.

Brain damage is a hell of a drug. Please tell me you mean the first season and not the entire thing.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFTsctYfWEw
Leonard Nimoy explains what’s wrong with Discovery.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I really wish they'd just dumped the unfinished Bryan Fuller scripts and started from scratch – and I know that wasn't an option given how much of a mess production of Discovery's season one was, but a lot of its biggest flaws are due to that initial setup.

The Vulcan Hello/Battle at the Binary Stars is, at its core, a story about how those foreign savages only understand violence, and that everyone in Starfleet except Burnham is a naïve idiot for believing in the possibility of negotiation and diplomacy. It's a story where the main villain is a dark-skinned religious fanatic who just hates our way of life for no reason and can only be stopped by force. Sure, he talks a good talk about fearing Federation encroachment on his culture and way of life, but we know that's a lie because the script goes out of its way to point out that the Federation hasn't even had contact with the Klingons for over a generation. That's just how it works, these aliens ruin their own countries and then blame us for it, and now we've got to set them straight through military force.

I don't know where Fuller thought he was going to take this, but it's a mean and nasty opening, and the show ends up having to spend most of its first season trying to work around that initial premise to end up somewhere a bit more palatable. And, sure, the ending they went for has problems – my god does it have problems – but at least L'Rel as an antagonist has some depth and motivations beyond simply 'be evil' and 'hate us for our freedom', and the second season got to be about something other than 'scary outsiders are scary'.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Angry Salami posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I really wish they'd just dumped the unfinished Bryan Fuller scripts and started from scratch – and I know that wasn't an option given how much of a mess production of Discovery's season one was, but a lot of its biggest flaws are due to that initial setup.

The Vulcan Hello/Battle at the Binary Stars is, at its core, a story about how those foreign savages only understand violence, and that everyone in Starfleet except Burnham is a naïve idiot for believing in the possibility of negotiation and diplomacy. It's a story where the main villain is a dark-skinned religious fanatic who just hates our way of life for no reason and can only be stopped by force. Sure, he talks a good talk about fearing Federation encroachment on his culture and way of life, but we know that's a lie because the script goes out of its way to point out that the Federation hasn't even had contact with the Klingons for over a generation. That's just how it works, these aliens ruin their own countries and then blame us for it, and now we've got to set them straight through military force.

I don't know where Fuller thought he was going to take this, but it's a mean and nasty opening, and the show ends up having to spend most of its first season trying to work around that initial premise to end up somewhere a bit more palatable. And, sure, the ending they went for has problems – my god does it have problems – but at least L'Rel as an antagonist has some depth and motivations beyond simply 'be evil' and 'hate us for our freedom', and the second season got to be about something other than 'scary outsiders are scary'.

Also, despite the attempt within the story for characters to attach blame for the war on Burnham, the audience is clearly shown that actually her actions were completely incidental to it starting. T'kumva was there to start a war, and the other Klingons needed no serious convincing. Punishing Burnham? Well that's just White Human guilt.

On the other hand- strapping bombs to dead bodies? Clever problem solving. Killing the guy you wanted to use as a political prisoner to try and negotiate an end to the war? Catharsis.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Angry Salami posted:

I feel like this is an absurdly over the top hostile reading of what we see in the show. Burnham is clearly portrayed as being in the wrong and we are not supposed to agree with her choices.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

marktheando posted:

I feel like this is an absurdly over the top hostile reading of what we see in the show. Burnham is clearly portrayed as being in the wrong and we are not supposed to agree with her choices.

When she's court martialed, Starfleet is portrayed as shadowy figures while she's bathed in light. If she's meant to be in the wrong, the show had a funny way of showing it.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

marktheando posted:

I only got that sense in the last episode of the series, what with Lorca praising her for recognizing that some rules need context, as they often do, and "context is for kings", before they made it apparent he was a bad guy by torturing the tardigrade. While that may be analogous to horse-powered transportation, animal cruelty is usually an indicator of psychopathy in storytelling.

Aces High posted:

One that stuck out to me was the Tribbles one, this one I had high hopes going in because H. Jon Benjamin is always entertaining and Rosa Salazar is also a very competent actress as well. This episode just fell on its face multiple times, Lt. Edwards seemed more like a comedy blackhole and I wouldn't lay that blame at the choices Benjamin makes, it really just comes down to the writing of his scenarios and everyone else in the room. I can buy the character being upset that the new captain effectively embarrassed him in the first department head meeting but everything after that just really stretches the belief that this guy was able to get to the position he was in. I get the feeling that the writers wanted to make another Barclay, a character that is socially awkward and shy and not really able to open up during scrums and team meetings but actually has great insights that could be developed into something more substantial, so we kind of root for him, even when he is creating a disaster in the making. Instead I feel like what we got was Lt. Picard, the loser science officer that has no relationship with the senior officers whatsoever and whom Riker almost scoffs at when the idea of command is broached. Everyone else on the Cabot seems to treat him with disdain or just ignores him, the only person who seems to actually interact with him is the captain.

Then we have Captain Lucero, she is introduced with having a really good relationship with Pike so that's good, however the interactions she has with Edwards seem off. I feel that her conversation telling him that he is being reassigned happen a little too fast but then again the two weeks that this episode takes place over seems like a REALLY long time when most Trek episodes take place over at most a few days. I think it's more that I don't agree with the writing choice that she immediately wants to get rid of a crew member that hasn't actually done anything actively malicious outside of sending anonymous reports to the admiralty that "my new captain is DUM and she has a stupid face". It doesn't really inspire confidence in your audience of a characters credibility in the role they are supposed to have if they are just acting like children and that is both of the focal characters in this story. I just don't understand how any of the humourous things in this episode could actually be seen as funny.

The Lego Movie had it right in mocking "Where are my pants?" as one of the absolute most tired jokes. I have to disagree with a Captain calling anybody an idiot. Either he had an intellectual disability, in which case mocking it doesn't help, or there are more descriptive words for causes of failure, arrogance being one of the go-to ones in any other Star Trek episode. Even for comedic effect, it's a line which belongs more in Roald Dahl's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, in which Grandpa Joe used the word to describe the behavior of the children and parents. As people pointed out at the time, prequel retcons seem like an attempt by the series to "own" the concept. Because Lorca kept one on his desk and they had a tribble cameo in a Warner Brothers-style cartoon short, by the end of it all, I was thinking "Enough with the tribble references, yeesh"

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Apr 5, 2020

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I think we are both agreeing that the writing decisions were awful, and the closing of the episode being Lucero saying "[Edwards] was an idiot" is a really bad look on everyone, herself included, involved with her getting assigned to command the Cabot. You could point to the many times over the various seasons where one of the captains gives a speech about how they represent their crew and they share the blame for a failure, how that is one of the heavy weights attached to being in command.

The whole Tribbles thing aside, this Short Trek just stands out to me as an absolutely monumental waste of potential for everyone involved and in a way seems actively damaging to the Trek universe, unless the point was that we are supposed to not like either Lucero or Edwards but...who the hell wants that? The majority of people do not want to watch a show or movie just to hate it, right?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Aces High posted:

I think we are both agreeing that the writing decisions were awful, and the closing of the episode being Lucero saying "[Edwards] was an idiot" is a really bad look on everyone, herself included, involved with her getting assigned to command the Cabot. You could point to the many times over the various seasons where one of the captains gives a speech about how they represent their crew and they share the blame for a failure, how that is one of the heavy weights attached to being in command.

The whole Tribbles thing aside, this Short Trek just stands out to me as an absolutely monumental waste of potential for everyone involved and in a way seems actively damaging to the Trek universe, unless the point was that we are supposed to not like either Lucero or Edwards but...who the hell wants that? The majority of people do not want to watch a show or movie just to hate it, right?
I thought it was fine, if for no other reason than this was clearly written as a comedy episode and not meant to be taken seriously

I mean it even has a post-credits sequence of a fake '80s Saturday-morning cartoon cereal ad.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

marktheando posted:

TV IV is full of people who are really bad at watching tv. I think they're only half watching and on their phones or some poo poo.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Regarde Aduck posted:

TV IV is full of people who are really bad at watching tv. I think they're only half watching and on their phones or some poo poo.

It is also filled with the sort of people who like everything, lacking any sort of higher functioning that helps determine good TV from garbage TV.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Peachfart posted:

It is also filled with the sort of people who like everything, lacking any sort of higher functioning that helps determine good TV from garbage TV.

That's what a general tv viewer looks and thinks like

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Regarde Aduck posted:

Yes, I remember "Shannon was stabbed" from the Lost thread back in the day.

Peachfart posted:

Yes, I have encountered Voyager fans here.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Cynic Jester posted:

Brain damage is a hell of a drug. Please tell me you mean the first season and not the entire thing.

I rewatched with that torrent that recuts the show to put everything in chronological order.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I genuinely want to know what modern shows Arglebargle, Tighclops, and Lizard Combatant enjoy and think are good.

Just wanna point out that I've answered this question every single time it's been asked in the thread and yet you guys keep asking for some reason???

Arglebargle III posted:

I dunno I posted in the thread about how good Punisher is.

The premise is: Are you a Bad Enough Vigilante to. . . Assassinate the deputy director of the CIA for his war crimes in Afghanistan? Kudos to Marvel for daring to take Punisher in that direction.

Let's see The Expanse is pretty good, first two seasons of Narcos were excellent. First season of Downtown Abby was quite good but they never really challenge or develop the characters IMO it became too much comfort food. Alex Trebek is alive and returning to Jeopardy! Of course there's always David Attenborough, may God protect him.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Apr 5, 2020

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Even at its shittiest The Expanse is so goddamn good

Just imagine if they’d paid shohreh agdashloo to play Avasarala But Andorian as the head of starfleet in this

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I've been binging DS9 again. Even the crappiest S1 and S2 episodes were fun in their own way. Not great when put up against the whole run, but "alien/problem of the week" has a way of containing crap writing and crap plots to 40 minutes and then you've got a chance of gold again next week.

I'm really hoping we start moving Star Trek away from prestige season arcs and back to individual problems-of-the-week again, but that doesn't seem to be the trend these days.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Even at its shittiest The Expanse is so goddamn good

Just imagine if they’d paid shohreh agdashloo to play Avasarala But Andorian as the head of starfleet in this

She can say loving Hubris 3 or 4 times per episode before I'll complain

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

How many of Disco's problems would have been solved by changing the Klingons to some new, unheard-of-before species?

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Technowolf posted:

How many of Disco's problems would have been solved by changing the Klingons to some new, unheard-of-before species?

But klingons are so star trek, if they weren't klingons then it wouldn't be a star trek, sheesh. Everyone knows you see some guy with hours of 21st century latex on and they're talking with a garbled mouth in some made up language* that they're a klingon and clearly this is a star trek show you are watching!

* do the disco klingons speak the existing klingon language? I haven't watched any but I know they actually speak in full alien tongue now instead of being universally translated. I guess I never checked, did they actually use the real klingon language, or make up some new poo poo for the show?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

They speak it very poorly but yeah they are speaking Klingon. By poorly I'm not critiquing their grammar or whatever, they are speaking it very SLOWLY. It doesn't matter if they speak it accurately. In fact Dorn made Klingon mistakes all the time. But he sold it, because he sounded fluent. The Disco Klingons speak haltingly. There's a guy in the first episode who can barely get his own name out. The latex surely doesn't help.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
They were trying too hard to get an aesthetic, and not trying to make something a human has to wear and talk in.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Arglebargle III posted:

They speak it very poorly but yeah they are speaking Klingon. By poorly I'm not critiquing their grammar or whatever, they are speaking it very SLOWLY.

must be northeners.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Technowolf posted:

1 problem, I guess?

The problem it doesn't fix, IMO, is they seemed to somehow just on accident pull together a mix of old school Sambo/blackface physical characteristics with post-9/11 "Oriental"/evil-Arab behavioral characteristics, in to one really terrible package. Maybe they undid some of that at the end of season 1 and in to season 2, but I didn't really have the stomach to wait and find out.

Fidel Cuckstro fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Apr 6, 2020

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Cojawfee posted:

They were trying too hard to get an aesthetic, and not trying to make something a human has to wear and talk in.

Yeah, they clearly never asked for the actors’ input when they designed those appliances. Which is weird, considering Doug Jones was right there for input if they’d bothered. They obviously know it’s a problem too because you can tell the pieces around their mouth and cheeks had been thinned for season 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

1 problem, I guess?

The problem it doesn't fix, IMO, is they seemed to somehow just on accident pull together a mix of old school Sambo/blackface physical characteristics with post-9/11 "Oriental"/evil-Arab behavioral characteristics, in to one really terrible package. Maybe they undid some of that at the end of season 1 and in to season 2, but I didn't really have the stomach to wait and find out.
I mean the Klingons were always kind of Mongolians weren't they? I thought the orientalism was always there.