Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Negostrike posted:

I really like playing coop games against AI on AOE2DE. We should give it a go someday.

I'll probably be playing tomorrow (Saturday) night if you or anyone else is around. My steam name is the same as my SA name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

If you're using an AC/20, you only need to hit the target once. If the target's still standing, you oughta be somewhere else anyway.

Negostrike posted:

I really like playing coop games against AI on AOE2DE. We should give it a go someday.
I also have been playing the singleplayer quests on AOE Online, resurrected by Project Celeste, with all the premium bullshit now free for the taking. Don't let the MMO stuff irks you out, check it out: https://www.projectceleste.com/

I discovered this thanks to goons and can say it is now a high quality game. Really good.

Bounced off the original AOE Online with the dreadful Games for Windows Live, hard.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I'd be up for some co-op AOE2DE.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

StashAugustine posted:

Hm I might break down and get it; ive been resisting upgrading because idk about spending more money on a game I keep bouncing off but all the QoL stuff looks really good

If you bought HD on Steam DE is discounted. I played HD at PAX, wasn't impressed, but DE has been fun.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Harveygod posted:

I'll probably be playing tomorrow (Saturday) night if you or anyone else is around. My steam name is the same as my SA name.

And added.

If someone's up for some AOE2DE, feel free to add:
https://steamcommunity.com/id/negostrike/

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I've noticed one specific thing I don't know what im doing on (as opposed to just being bad) is specifically how to handle the part between "lure the boar" and "send the last couple people to wood/gold and advance." I keep having either sheep or boar run out (in part because I'm bad at early scouting wrt sheep) and then have a bunch of villagers standing around for no reason.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
I suppose if we're doing this I could make a Goon AoE2 discord again, if there's interest in it. Easier to organize than cluttering up the Strategy Games thread.

Also I suppose at that point you're supposed to be moving toward building a mill on berries? Usually you might want to do it a little later, but if you're not perfectly optimized on your build order, it's better than just sitting around having them do nothing.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

If you want to send them to farms but don't have the wood yet, you can send them to the straggler trees and pull one off every time you have enough (60) wood to build one.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

EDIT: Spoke with a couple of people and we agreed it's probably more productive to just join the main Goon Discord and have a channel there instead.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Apr 5, 2020

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

Family stuff came up tonight but I may be on later. Otherwise definitely tomorrow.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
:woop: Lets get wrecked! :woop:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Jossar posted:

EDIT: Spoke with a couple of people and we agreed it's probably more productive to just join the main Goon Discord and have a channel there instead.

Cool, is a channel set up? I've tried a few matches on DE and the default AI is way easier lol. One other thing that I'm not quite clear on is how to assign villagers to farms en masse as they're being produced, is there a way to automate that?

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Not yet, it'll hopefully be up in the morning. I forget if you can right click farms and if there's unused ones the villagers will go to them or not. If not then I dunno off hand.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

StashAugustine posted:

Cool, is a channel set up? I've tried a few matches on DE and the default AI is way easier lol. One other thing that I'm not quite clear on is how to assign villagers to farms en masse as they're being produced, is there a way to automate that?

You can have a villager place foundations for farms near each other and set the town center's gather point to one of them. After the first one is already built, the following villagers will look for nearby farm foundations to build/farm. The downside is that you have to spend the wood upfront for all of those foundations, so I usually only do it like this 2 at a time (if at all).

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Any good Campaign Coop games anyone would recommend that the coop doesn't feel like "were sending our blobs of troops at the same target" level of coop? Like some actual depth

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Not really the most RTS kinda experience but Dawn of War 2 has some great coop campaigns, I'll also toss Company of Heroes 1+2 into the mix for a less rpg vibe. I'd love to suggest Red Alert 3 but sadly you need to use a 3rd party program to play that coop because this world is depressing.

Oh also most of the Wargame series is pretty solid, I've been running Steel Division 2 with friends lately and it is pretty damned fun.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

TGG posted:

Not really the most RTS kinda experience but Dawn of War 2 has some great coop campaigns, I'll also toss Company of Heroes 1+2 into the mix for a less rpg vibe. I'd love to suggest Red Alert 3 but sadly you need to use a 3rd party program to play that coop because this world is depressing.

Oh also most of the Wargame series is pretty solid, I've been running Steel Division 2 with friends lately and it is pretty damned fun.

Exausted all mentioned but Steel Division 2. Is it a giant chore to get lazy friends to commit to it? Like will they have to do some serious tutorials?

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
https://discord.gg/cWbUja is the #strategy_games Discord channel

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Junkie Disease posted:

Any good Campaign Coop games anyone would recommend that the coop doesn't feel like "were sending our blobs of troops at the same target" level of coop? Like some actual depth

How many people are you looking to have play at one time?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Much to my shock, Balanced Annihilation Reloaded, a fork of the BA mod for TA Spring whose original aim was to remodel everything and go copyright-free, is still alive, rebranded, and probably close to a release. It also has a snazzy website.

Of course, my terrible secret is that while Total Annihilation is one of my absolute favourites, I just don't like how Spring engine games "feel" to play, but I'll still check out BAR when it's out.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Mordja posted:

Much to my shock, Balanced Annihilation Reloaded, a fork of the BA mod for TA Spring whose original aim was to remodel everything and go copyright-free, is still alive, rebranded, and probably close to a release. It also has a snazzy website.

Of course, my terrible secret is that while Total Annihilation is one of my absolute favourites, I just don't like how Spring engine games "feel" to play, but I'll still check out BAR when it's out.

This looks awesome. Is it pretty stable in your experience?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Like I said, I haven't played it...You can get an alpha version off their Discord but I'm probably gonna wait until it's public.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Apr 5, 2020

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Steel Division 2 is a great game but there is a LOT going on. Think Company of Heroes but zoomed way the hell out and you are controlling piles of units at once including planes and artillery. It takes a little bit of getting used to but honestly making decks is the most complex thing about it and the campaigns take a lot of the worry out of it, giving you armies already premade and ready to use. It's worth at least checking out a youtube video to see if it looks like something you'd like.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Captain Beans posted:

How many people are you looking to have play at one time?

2 to 4

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

TGG posted:

Steel Division 2 is a great game but there is a LOT going on. Think Company of Heroes but zoomed way the hell out and you are controlling piles of units at once including planes and artillery. It takes a little bit of getting used to but honestly making decks is the most complex thing about it and the campaigns take a lot of the worry out of it, giving you armies already premade and ready to use. It's worth at least checking out a youtube video to see if it looks like something you'd like.

Coop campaign for 3 people is coming soon too which will own

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Anyone have opinions on Stellar Monarch? I haven't played it but the videos I've seen make it look like a budget CK2 in space.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Pals NOPED the heck outta SDII. Shucks

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Love Stole the Day posted:

https://discord.gg/cWbUja is the #strategy_games Discord channel

poo poo, I've been blacklilsted from the official SA server for some reason. I'll see what I can do.

EDIT: Sorted

EDIT: Never mind, I'm also banned from the main SA server with no reasons given. I've found out some admin there is pretty power-trippy but I'm not bringing this bullshit to this thread.

Negostrike fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Apr 6, 2020

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Well, that honestly went better then I thought it would.

Sorry I left you out to dry Josser. :negative:

Should massed Konicks faster.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Junkie Disease posted:

Pals NOPED the heck outta SDII. Shucks

Too complicated and not fun looking?

What RTS/Strategy games have you guys enjoyed before?

4 players is a tough spot but I bet there is something we can suggest.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Captain Beans posted:

Too complicated and not fun looking?

What RTS/Strategy games have you guys enjoyed before?

4 players is a tough spot but I bet there is something we can suggest.

ill play everything and loved world in conflict, most likely a 2 player game extra 2 peeps is a dream scenario

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Junkie Disease posted:

Total Warhammer. 2 player only but really good for those 2.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

V for Vegas posted:

Total Warhammer. 2 player only but really good for those 2.

is it kinda like dawn of war II with fun rear end upgrades?

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
You get to play the campaign together as locked allies, and when one person is in a battle they can gift the other units to control.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

V for Vegas posted:

You get to play the campaign together as locked allies, and when one person is in a battle they can gift the other units to control.

Im getting Mayyyyybes

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
AI War? AI War 2 MP should be coming out soon as well.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

LLSix posted:

Anyone have opinions on Stellar Monarch? I haven't played it but the videos I've seen make it look like a budget CK2 in space.

i thought it was a bit too shallow to enjoy, not all that much to engage with nor all that much personality to the whole thing which makes it hard to care

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

I wish more RTS games were just Starcraft 2's co-op mood, but it feels like most people don't want anything to do with blizzard these days.

Man, remember when blizzard was a great game studio. I remember when blizzard was a great game studio. :smith:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Playing a bit of definitive edition it seems like the AI is less aggressive; I tried a game as Celts with a hilariously failed drush that then didn't do anything until I got a stream of woad raiders and mangonels running into the enemy base and I wasn't even really set up for it. I did try a few games online and managed to get two wins; one just a resign as soon as a knight rush happened and the other was a weird one where we both had armies running around each others' towns but I had trebs pouring out of some forward castles so I wiped out his buildings much faster. Still don't really know what I"m doing past "stream your best unit+siege into enemy base" but at least I'm having fun with it :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
:stare: :stare: :stare:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1250690/Master_of_Magic_Caster_of_Magic/

Has anybody already played this?