Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

NPR Journalizard posted:

Ugh, his recipies are good, but i cant stand his character. So smug and smarmy.

Nah he's fine

Caesar Saladin posted:

I think its just two guys trying to hustle while their restaurant is closed, I don't think it is a meaningfully evil plan or even has much of a level of thought in it beyond "lets see if we can make a little money doing our job at home."

Goddamn Woolworths only let my buy two Mi Goreng cups.

OI, MR PRIME MINISTER

EoinCannon posted:

I spent a long time and lots of loving around to make Felicity Cloake's perfect vegetable biryani tonight and it was OK but really not a big return for that much faffing about. Might be one of those things where it just can't be that good without the meat, like pho.

Have a look at Swasthi's recipes, hers are markedly better tbh and more authentic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Finally harvested all the pumpkins

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

drat thats a lotta punkins

I got bit by a spider or something last night and didn't notice, my hand is all rashy and hosed with a sore on the knuckle and a bruise on my forearm. I hope my hand doesn't fall off.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Kharnifex posted:

How big a patch was that from? It's a nice haul!

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

Covered my chook shed, and climbed most of the trees I'd say about 20 metre by 10 area,

They need alot of water, and they love to climb

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
mine found every single plant I put chicken wire around and absolutely took over, i wound up having to hack off a couple of sections of the patch just so I could actually mow properly. A week later and a day of rain and new vines have come back. Sturdy bastards. I'm jealous of your variety, I put a lot of different seeds in the ground but only the qld blues wound up giving any fruit

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
Those feels when the 20 pack of toilet paper you ordered actually arrives in your order.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Kharnifex posted:

Covered my chook shed, and climbed most of the trees I'd say about 20 metre by 10 area,

They need alot of water, and they love to climb

I know smaller squashes do well with hanging fruit, but can the vines actually support hanging pumpkins?

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Bout-to-find-out.jpg ft choko

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Easy garden chat: If any of you have old/decommissioned septic tanks in your backyard do yourself a favor and plant a passionfruit vine within a meter or two of it. You'll be hauling out a solid wheelie bin of passion fruits a year. Probably grow just as well with constant fertilizing.

We planted one in Perth for laughs and it grew really slow for a year or two, then it must have hit the ancient tank and just exploded. Completely covered the pergola and needed aggressive pruning a few times a year. After while we got so sick of fresh and preserved fruit we'd just hand over $30 worth to the neighbors on the reg.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
Last night's (stone cold) dinner at the Crowne.

Food budget allocated by government is apparently $10 per person per day.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Ordered a 6 pack each of pint mason jars and silicone airlock lids, so I can start loving about with fermented sauces

First off will be a lacto fermented ketchup and tbh I'm keen to see the outcome

Would love to have a crack at my own kimchi or miso paste too

Also got my first coffee subscription delivery, basically around this time once a month a kilo of small batch roaster coffee shows up from a different roaster through this subscription mob. This one is P nice, delicate flavours and tasty

Gonna regret it later when I can't sleep lmao

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Lolie posted:

Imagine thinking in this day and age that a person can live off $10 a day and get their entire nutrition requirements

Just lol

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Lolie posted:

Honestly that's borderline criminal. Without any knowledge on the subject I'd expect they serve similar/better food (or at least quantities) in our prisons.

Also it shouldn't cost a commercial kitchen more than $10 to make decent food if they made it at cost without any profit margin and oh yeah OK I see what's going on.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I'm watching the Tiger King show and i'm not sure I approve.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

loving hell it's a wild time, Mrs spergo and myself binged it over the weekend

I'm just gonna say, I'm P sure Carole did exactly what they reckon she did

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
If there's an Australian tiger king he's probably in Queensland.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
Just saw the tail end of the latest covid presser and the news isn't good. A worrying amount of the 90ish people currently in intensive care are in their 30s. Young uns need to start taking this more seriously as the community transmission rate climbs.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

McSpergin posted:

Also got my first coffee subscription delivery, basically around this time once a month a kilo of small batch roaster coffee shows up from a different roaster through this subscription mob. This one is P nice, delicate flavours and tasty

Link?

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

While at the chemist today i went a got the seasonal flu shot, because im nice, considerate little boy

Abalone Malone
Jul 26, 2002

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

If there's an Australian tiger king he's probably in Queensland.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Outrail posted:

Honestly that's borderline criminal. Without any knowledge on the subject I'd expect they serve similar/better food (or at least quantities) in our prisons.

Also it shouldn't cost a commercial kitchen more than $10 to make decent food if they made it at cost without any profit margin and oh yeah OK I see what's going on.

The people in mandatory quarantine in the NT are being billed for their stay, so I hope they're getting better food than those at the Crowne in Melbourne.

I remember seeing a prison menu a couple of years back. The major complaint was that a lot of the food was carb heavy and that only a small amount of milk was provided but there was at least some variety even if it wasn't especially exciting food.

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008
Eh, that food looks fine.
It's not presented very nicely, and could use some more peas, but I doubt it was "stone cold" given the condensation visible on the containers.

I mean, it's quarantine. It's 14 (?) days. You don't have to do any meal prep.
What sort of luxury lives are they leading that grilled chicken breast, roast pumpkin, mashed sweet potato, and peas are beneath them?

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I dunno, maybe any kind of sauce would be good?

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

I used Three Thousand Thieves.
Billing and shipping are around the start of the month, mine shipped Friday (they're Melbourne based) and arrived today

3tt

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

McSpergin posted:

I used Three Thousand Thieves.
Billing and shipping are around the start of the month, mine shipped Friday (they're Melbourne based) and arrived today

3tt

Awesome, thanks. The local cafe where we usually buy our coffee beans is closed for the duration so something like this is pretty appealing. Prices seem completely reasonable too.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Bill Posters posted:

Awesome, thanks. The local cafe where we usually buy our coffee beans is closed for the duration so something like this is pretty appealing. Prices seem completely reasonable too.

I was paying about 45-50 bucks a kilo to pick up beans when I was working up in Brookvale from the local roaster, iirc it was $48 for a kilo of their house blend. same with my Toowoomba roaster. 50 bucks a kilo delivered is loving solid pricing.

They offer a choice of filter or espresso depending on what you have, I do a strong aeropress batch so went with filter strength. This month's is a single origin, it's P tasty

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Thinking bout dem beans

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Excited to break quarantine so I can browse JB for a new gaming monitor some time this week

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
C'mon ginger beer

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Kharnifex posted:

Dude. That is a lot of fine pumpkins.

Roast Pumpkin Soup is the poo poo.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

I've been getting my coffee from dibartoli.com.au for years. They've lowered free shipping to $30 due to the virus, so you can get a 1kg bag shipped free. They do a few coffee of the month type deals in addition to their regular line up, and they're very reasonably prices for speciality coffee.

Not Evans
Aug 2, 2007

Tobias, have you been flogging Simpsons prop replicas on the internet again?

Get that up ya

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
A pumpkin is a cultivar of winter squash that is round with smooth, slightly ribbed skin, and most often deep yellow to orange in coloration. The thick shell contains the seeds and pulp.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

Senor Tron posted:

I know smaller squashes do well with hanging fruit, but can the vines actually support hanging pumpkins?

They do as long as the branches etc they climb can, you'd be surprised

One thing that amused me was the butternut pumpkins went from being little chodes to huge Dong's when growing hanging.

Lube Enthusiast posted:

Excited to break quarantine so I can browse JB for a new gaming monitor some time this week

Call first, alot of places have no stock of keyboards, mice, monitors or chairs.

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Outrail posted:

Easy garden chat: If any of you have old/decommissioned septic tanks in your backyard do yourself a favor and plant a passionfruit vine within a meter or two of it. You'll be hauling out a solid wheelie bin of passion fruits a year. Probably grow just as well with constant fertilizing.

We planted one in Perth for laughs and it grew really slow for a year or two, then it must have hit the ancient tank and just exploded. Completely covered the pergola and needed aggressive pruning a few times a year. After while we got so sick of fresh and preserved fruit we'd just hand over $30 worth to the neighbors on the reg.

I was trying to think where the old septic tank is. It's now covered over by an extension to the house. Inaccessible to passionfruit.

Bummer.

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Lolie posted:

Just saw the tail end of the latest covid presser and the news isn't good. A worrying amount of the 90ish people currently in intensive care are in their 30s. Young uns need to start taking this more seriously as the community transmission rate climbs.

Maybe they still think they're invincible?

:350:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
Are any of you who stocked up on "survival" food actually eating it or are you saving it in case access to fresh food becomes unstable in the coming months?