Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

McFrugal posted:

Build with what? This was like an hour into the pack. I didn't have anything else.

The city is hot lava dont touch it. You are supposed to hunker down and treat it like a skyblock until you have enough equipment to survive. All of the challenges in the pack are about building things and exploring, not killing mobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Rutibex posted:

The city is hot lava dont touch it. You are supposed to hunker down and treat it like a skyblock until you have enough equipment to survive. All of the challenges in the pack are about building things and exploring, not killing mobs.

Treat it like a skyblock, without passive resource generation. Also, build things and explore, despite treating the city like hot lava.

What?

I wasn't searching for mobs and killing them. They were spawning, because of dark areas in the buildings and also due to all the spawners everywhere from haunted destroyed buildings.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

McFrugal posted:

Treat it like a skyblock, without passive resource generation. Also, build things and explore, despite treating the city like hot lava.

What?

I wasn't searching for mobs and killing them. They were spawning, because of dark areas in the buildings and also due to all the spawners everywhere from haunted destroyed buildings.

What I did was hunker down in the basement of one of the buildings. I blocked all the entrances off and created an area for building, and a mine into the ground for materials. You can make a bed out of spider webs:

I used the starting reactor to create an Alchemestry device so I can transmute materials:

Then I set up a watermelon patch to feed myself and get materials for alchemestry:

Once I built up some supplies I made an expedition out into the world. I was able to use this abandoned subway system to travel around quickly. It's buried under most parts of the city! All you need is a mine cart:

From my expedition I was able to capture a number of fluid cows which I returned to my bunker to further upgrade my tech!

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Rutibex posted:

What I did was hunker down in the basement of one of the buildings. I blocked all the entrances off and created an area for building, and a mine into the ground for materials. You can make a bed out of spider webs:

I used the starting reactor to create an Alchemestry device so I can transmute materials:

Then I set up a watermelon patch to feed myself and get materials for alchemestry:

Once I built up some supplies I made an expedition out into the world. I was able to use this abandoned subway system to travel around quickly. It's buried under most parts of the city! All you need is a mine cart:

From my expedition I was able to capture a number of fluid cows which I returned to my bunker to further upgrade my tech!

This poo poo seems like my jam. Could I have a link? I didn't see it immediately in the OP

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

E-Tank posted:

This poo poo seems like my jam. Could I have a link? I didn't see it immediately in the OP

Here you go!
https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/modpacks/escape-from-trantor

Edit: you might want to manually disable the "tough as nails" mod, its kind of annoying.

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Apr 6, 2020

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Thanks! I've been trying to find a happy medium between 'all the resources', and 'oh god I'm starving again and I have no tools' TerraFirmaCraft seemed like a step in the right direction but I feel like having to memorize the shapes necessary to make tools being so arcane I need a literal wiki to remember them is a bit much.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Transmutation is not skyblock, and if all you're doing is collecting cows that's barely exploration.
I think the problem here is that you are not properly communicating what you want the player to do. Most notably, the modpack page says your first objective should be to find the first scan point at 0,0 but that's like 500m from spawn and night will fall before you get there or soon after, which means you die to blood moon.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Apr 6, 2020

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

McFrugal posted:

if all you're doing is collecting cows that's barely exploration.

The challenges involve traveling to a variety of very distant locations. You need to figure out some way to get there (and the nether is disabled). That means you need to walk a great distance, or build a vehicle or something to drive through the city.

There is also a lot of rare loot and materials in the different kinds of buildings. You won't find everything you can find in just one building.

McFrugal posted:

I think the problem here is that you are not properly communicating what you want the player to do. Most notably, the modpack page says your first objective should be to find the first scan point at 0,0 but that's like 500m from spawn and night will fall before you get there or soon after, which means you die to blood moon.

I suppose thats fair, I did sort of just make it with my own play style in mind. I assumed it would be obvious. There is an unwritten objective 0: survive

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Rutibex posted:

I suppose thats fair, I did sort of just make it with my own play style in mind. I assumed it would be obvious. There is an unwritten objective 0: survive

You assumed what would be obvious? That you should make an underground base first and get better gear before traveling overland?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

McFrugal posted:

You assumed what would be obvious? That you should make an underground base first and get better gear before traveling overland?

Yeah, essentially.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

It's been a while since I played Sky Factory 4. Has anything similar and better come out in the past year?

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

McFrugal posted:

Rutibex posted:

Yeah, essentially.

Lesson #1: Signpost EVERYTHING. If the intent is for the player to bunker up and not immediately go exploring, TELL THEM THAT.

If you provide no other information beyond "go here" in a quest-based system, the first thing people will do is GO THERE.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Eox posted:

I remember at the tail end of Sigma I was a demigod charging between extremely lucrative battle towers on my golden chocobo and I have spent years trying to recapture that experience.

We all have been chasing that high, chief, we've all been.

:smith:

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Are meanmobs and infernal mobs compatible together?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ak Gara posted:

Are meanmobs and infernal mobs compatible together?

Yeah they are both in my pack and they work together.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Ak Gara posted:

How does the fuel reactivity (fuel efficiency) work for the Extreme Reactors (Big Reactors) mod? What are the code's rules for what makes it go up? What's the theoretical maximum?
https://br.sidoh.org/ have fun (turn off the server ping and press calculate manually once you make changes)

If you want something fairly early game and resource light: https://br.sidoh.org/#reactor-desig...C8O3C8O3C8O3E4O You can sub out the exotic liquids for graphite/graphene/forgot name blocks.

Then when you want more power you can adjust control rod, add height, or add more control rods.

Later in the game, you mostly just checkerboard (squares with holes) and it's good enough. You can get ~580% efficiency that way on the calc. There's something slightly more optimal but I forget. old checkerboard example you don't need the corner blocks they do nothing and 4 gap checkerboard lazy (you can arrange this slightly better, I don't have time to fill in a max reactor and I'm too lazy to dig up saved links)

The calculation travels in a straight line. You can see that exploited in the first design. It travels up to 4 squares of "nothing" away as long as there is a medium. It has been a long time so I can't recall all of the material properties. Because there's no criticality or even diminished returns, despite the original author planning on adding them, the most efficient lategame tends to become jamming as many rods in a straight line as possible with a layer of coolant on the outside.

These are the properties from source:
code:
	 * @param absorption	How much radiation this material absorbs and converts to heat. 0.0 = none, 1.0 = all.
	 * @param heatEfficiency How efficiently radiation is converted to heat. 0 = no heat, 1 = all heat.
	 * @param moderation	How well this material moderates radiation. This is a divisor; should not be below 1.
	 * @param heatConductivity How well this material conducts heat, in RF/t/m2.
But it boils down to enderium / gelid cryo being really good and the graphene blocks being really good in a pinch early game. You can see the whole list and their values here.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Apr 6, 2020

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Rutibex

So far I like Escape, but the quest book needs a ton of work. Also, I started randomly taking damage out of nowhere, half a heart about every 5 seconds or so.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Also, I started randomly taking damage out of nowhere, half a heart about every 5 seconds or so.

Yeah that's the Tough as Nails mod. Sorry, you should disable it manually (or find a source of drinking water, you are dehydrating)

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

Rutibex posted:

Yeah that's the Tough as Nails mod. Sorry, you should disable it manually (or find a source of drinking water, you are dehydrating)

Cool. I do like the goal of build this crap to win, how you do it is up to you. Maybe add an axe to the starting emergency supplies?

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Khorne posted:

https://br.sidoh.org/ have fun (turn off the server ping and press calculate manually once you make changes)

If you want something fairly early game and resource light: https://br.sidoh.org/#reactor-desig...C8O3C8O3C8O3E4O You can sub out the exotic liquids for graphite/graphene/forgot name blocks.

Then when you want more power you can adjust control rod, add height, or add more control rods.

Later in the game, you mostly just checkerboard (squares with holes) and it's good enough. You can get ~580% efficiency that way on the calc. There's something slightly more optimal but I forget. old checkerboard example you don't need the corner blocks they do nothing and 4 gap checkerboard lazy (you can arrange this slightly better, I don't have time to fill in a max reactor and I'm too lazy to dig up saved links)

The calculation travels in a straight line. You can see that exploited in the first design. It travels up to 4 squares of "nothing" away as long as there is a medium. It has been a long time so I can't recall all of the material properties. Because there's no criticality or even diminished returns, despite the original author planning on adding them, the most efficient lategame tends to become jamming as many rods in a straight line as possible with a layer of coolant on the outside.

These are the properties from source:
code:
	 * @param absorption	How much radiation this material absorbs and converts to heat. 0.0 = none, 1.0 = all.
	 * @param heatEfficiency How efficiently radiation is converted to heat. 0 = no heat, 1 = all heat.
	 * @param moderation	How well this material moderates radiation. This is a divisor; should not be below 1.
	 * @param heatConductivity How well this material conducts heat, in RF/t/m2.
But it boils down to enderium / gelid cryo being really good and the graphene blocks being really good in a pinch early game. You can see the whole list and their values here.

If the radiation travels 4 squares, the max it could be is 900%?

Khorne
May 1, 2002
There's also a complicating factor for steam output where it is/was limited to 50buckets/t so you have a cap on reactor size there if you're going actively cooled. Which is good actually, I hate making chunk sized or slightly larger than chunk sized reactors.

Oh yeah, if you want good fps with big reactors near your base you need to disable fluid animations because even through solid walls MC renders them and it murders fps even on the highest of high end systems.

Ak Gara posted:

If the radiation travels 4 squares, the max it could be is 900%?
I don't really know if it's radiation or heat or what. It might even travel 5. I haven't dove into the code in ages, and the last time I setup a reasonably efficient reactor was a year+ ago. I just know the 'results' now.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Apr 6, 2020

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Really liking this SEUS Renewed.

more here
https://imgur.com/a/htGkBf3

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Ak Gara posted:

Really liking this SEUS Renewed.

more here
https://imgur.com/a/htGkBf3

Somehow I am always amused by Minecraft screenshots where the water is beautifully textured with high resolution refraction and ripples while the rest of the scene is a jagged voxel mess. :allears:

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Can someone explain to me how it makes sense for iron dust to be unsmeltable in Sevtech, except in the Arc Furnace?

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Have you considered that in every single structured pack ever that has IE, it's author absolutely cums mountain sized buckets when locking everything ever behind the loving arc furnace.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
The IE Turbine kicks rear end though. Insert a little steam get shitloads of power!!

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Oh yeah 24k RF/t for what amounts to about 80mb/t of steam is nutso good with a heat exchanger.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Also looks cool and has DANGEROUS LIVE WIRES

https://streamable.com/et39oe

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I built an IE focused factory/base in DW20 1.12 and my wire deaths alone put me on the top of the most deaths leaderboard.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Light Gun Man posted:

The IE Turbine kicks rear end though. Insert a little steam get shitloads of power!!

That's from Immersive Tech, which lifted an unused turbine model from IE's files, animated it wrong, imported it wrong so the model frequently bugs out and clones itself, and made it completely unbalanced so that no one would ever use IE's diesel gen. Trash mod.

Immersive Technology is a fork of Immersive Tech and goes a long way toward fixing it (config options to disable certain features, turbine is much more balanced, bugfixes, etc.). Still gets the animation wrong, though.

e: IE's turbine model is intended eventually to work with a rudimentary nuclear reactor, something like this —

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Apr 7, 2020

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

That's from Immersive Tech, which lifted an unused turbine model from IE's files, animated it wrong, imported it wrong so the model frequently bugs out and clones itself, and made it completely unbalanced so that no one would ever use IE's diesel gen. Trash mod.

Immersive Technology is a fork of Immersive Tech and goes a long way toward fixing it (config options to disable certain features, turbine is much more balanced, bugfixes, etc.). Still gets the animation wrong, though.

e: IE's turbine model is intended eventually to work with a rudimentary nuclear reactor, something like this —

Lol, of course something that is worth bothering with is waawaa bad, right down to the multiple uses of the brainworm word.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

StealthArcher posted:

Lol, of course something that is worth bothering with is waawaa bad, right down to the multiple uses of the brainworm word.

what does this sentence even mean

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

heated minecraft moment

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Long habitual reflex to the word balance being used unironically in Modded MC

E: vv You're trying too hard.

StealthArcher fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Apr 7, 2020

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Equivalent Exchange is the best and most balanced mod ever made :colbert:

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

StealthArcher posted:

Long habitual reflex to the word balance being used unironically in Modded MC

Using the word 'balance' makes perfect sense in this context. Obviously I'm talking about feature balance, not numerical balance. That is, a modpack should avoid adding mods and features that exist purely to make the features of other mods obsolete — otherwise why waste the RAM? It's not at all interesting to play a pack that has a single correct answer for ore processing or power generation or armor or what-have-you. In IE's case especially, it's stupid to include an addon that simply skips all the cool multiblock machines that attract people to IE in the first place.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

How is the animation wrong?

Also my favourite thing about the generator isn't the brokenness of it, it's the volume of it when it's running. I built my generator area a fair bit away from my base but it still always amuses me to hear the distant drone as the sun rises every morning. :science:

Was a massive pain in the rear end to build though. I can't imagine many people would bother even if the Immersive Tech version was brokenly powerful, if there was literally any other half-decent power generation in the pack. That itself makes it more feature-balanced than just throwing in Extreme Reactors at least.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Apr 7, 2020

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
The diesel generator is neat, but very opaque. Only biodiesel is ever accepted, no other modded fuels get added to the list with regularity. Sometimes a few niche recipes are added to the refining multiblocks. IE baseline could be improved by a sorta user manual tool you could click on these multiblocks to get stats that may have been mucked with by mod packs like maximum power output, accepted items/fluids and such.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Blind Duke posted:

The diesel generator is neat, but very opaque. Only biodiesel is ever accepted, no other modded fuels get added to the list with regularity.

The base IE biodiesel generator also has to be strictly governed. It can only consume a bucket? of fuel at a time, and will do so to fill even a single missing RF in its internal buffer, wasting the rest of the energy you'd normally be due for your trouble. In order for it not to waste ungodly amounts of fuel, you have to put in a circuit that reads an attached energy storage device and stops the generator when the storage is nearly full, then starts it again when it is nearly empty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Rutibex posted:

Equivalent Exchange is the best and most balanced mod ever made :colbert:

I have Mekanism's 300 million rf/t power generation and ore multiplier machines, Draconic Evolution, Machine Muse's Modular Powersuits, Calculator, (with it's 1.5 billion rf item duping machine ) Industrial Forgoing (with it's mining lasers) mystical agriculture AND torcherino, refined storage/reborn storage, avaritia, several avaritia addons, and EE is the ONLY mod I have to purposely make myself wait until end game before using.